Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So, uh, why is it just sitting on the Splash screen for me every launch, even after verifying... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Shockeh posted:

So, uh, why is it just sitting on the Splash screen for me every launch, even after verifying... :smith:

Okay, so apparently Windows Storage Spaces makes the game very, very sad...

https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/77106/loading-screen-and-nothing-happens/13?lang=en-US

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think I am just slightly too stupid to understand either the problem or the solution being talked about in this thread, so I'm just sort of hoping it doesn't happen to me

I do understand it, but I resent the very idea I have to do it enough I'm trying to get it noticed by Kotaku, RPS etc. in the name of getting them to fix it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Surprised how much I'm struggling with frame rate - Ryzen 3700X, 16GB, 1080Ti, and I'm at 35fps most of the time on Medium/High, and dipping alarmingly if it gets hectic.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
There’s definitely some weird poo poo going on in the lighting sub-systems of this game. Outdoor lighting is basically on par with the goddamn voodoo RDR2 pulled, but indoor it’s all weirdly lit, like everything (including people’s faces) are generating their own light.

It makes it look a bit like OG Unreal, it’s very weird. HDR helped a lot, but it’s still present.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm still reeling at the fact that I'm a Viking who gets into trouble with the Time DNA Cops if I kill Monks whilst raiding.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

exquisite tea posted:

They should have let you hire your jomsvikings to do errands with different strengths/weaknesses like in WoW.

Please no - We need to stop excusing these attempts at 'Systems' by 'We put some administrative overhead into your game - It doesn't do anything but deliver you loot*'

*Spoiler: The 'loot' is inevitably some poo poo in-game currency, which you can buy more quickly with real dollars.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Alchenar posted:

I replayed the AC3 remaster at some point this year because it's 2020 and I was stuck indoors and I can't remember a single assassination mission. I mean there's flashes of scenes but there is no part of the story that has any weight or significance at all. The homestead stuff in isolation is heartwarming but it's periphery. ...I mean I can't remember any assassination mission except for the prologue, which is what the whole game should have been like.

This is funny because it's exactly how I feel about Valhalla. They've taken a setting I should adore, a game that had an initial first solid game loop, I went 'I can't wait to see what happens next' and then repeated the EXACT SAME THING 15 times. It's got such a solid grounding for a great game, then just... does nothing of note with it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Still never seen a single handed sword, despite a third of the enemies in the game having one.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I don’t know whether to be annoyed at myself or Ubi, but at 6-7 Pledges in, I just no longer care, and I think I’m going to uninstall before finishing it. Like, your brother (whose name I’ve managed to cull) is I think definitely going to go full Blizzard and become corrupted by power and/or help The Order and I feel so little attachment to, well, anyone that there’s no stakes.

I built my little town, it’s working, there’s never any threat to it so mission accomplished I guess? We made it to England. Ivarr and his madness were the only time I felt like there was even a person instead of an ambulatory exposition drone.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Lobok posted:

Sweet, will definitely use that. Thanks!

Just to be clear, the part I really like in that Fenyx clip is the instantaneous summon happening under you. Like a Transformer turning into car mode or like in Tron how the lightcycles form around the rider, I'd love if more games had mounts and vehicles that you could switch to using as effortlessly and quickly as switching weapons. I think it was the very first Crackdown game with its uselessly inconvenient Agency vehicles that made me think of it and I've been thinking about it in a lot of games since.

Players are already fine with the hand-wave assumption that the horse is always just thirty feet away off-camera when you call it, this would just be going one step further so that when you call the horse it would actually be just ten feet off-camera and there'd be an automatic animation of mounting it.

Yeah, now I’m wishing more had been done with the War for Cybertron tech, thanks for that. :smith:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
As I close in on the end now, I think my Valhalla review is ‘They made a great 4 hour game; Then ruined it by copy pasting it with terrain variations two hundred times.’

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The problem is both Cyberpunk and Valhalla are buggy half arsed pieces of poo poo that also made mad bank, so the public has basically told Ubi - “You can ship like this every year, it’s fine, we’re idiots who will buy it anyway” so that’s what they’ll do.

That’s the magic of VC funded industries - maximum return for minimum effort, quality of product is only of revelance if it affects bottom line.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Given how much more fleshed out some portions of the game are than others, I'd be willing to believe someone curtailed features to get out in time to meet XB/PS release date for that express reason.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Twin Daggers is genuinely broke. You can cancel the Heavy swing into the (near, 90% of stuff will be dead before it ends) infinite Light chain, so you Heavy break their shield, then stabstabstabstabstab anything to death.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
'Levels' in general makes the whole game feel odd. The whole experiment with chucking in extra RPG features (ENGAGEMENT ENGAGEMENT ENGAGEMENT) has kinda failed, really.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Given what an amazing city to visit for medieval architecture York is, I was really disappointed by the AC version.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
And York has had walls continually (with bits being pulled down, built up again, stolen for housing, rebuilt) since the start of the Millenium.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

FAUXTON posted:

Man gently caress that essex storyline, making me run across the whole of the kingdom specifically setting quest stages as far from any fast travel points as possible

It's the only Zone I have left, and the goonhate is pretty much selling me on not bothering.

Earwicker posted:

yea specifically The Last Kingdom. identical setting, slightly different vibe and story but similar in terms of quality, historicity, and i believe the game and show even share a couple of actors

If only they'd aped Vikings instead...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Funny, because I had way more actual fun in Mirage than I did in Valhalla.