Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This video actually made me kind of sad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXR70z7aRjM

Because they're not going to change any of that poo poo. That's the formula, and the formula sticks around, not matter how tiresome it got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So, everyone had a decade added to their physical appearance?

Caesar should be in his early 50's, not his late 60's. Ptolmey should be like 11.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Deakul posted:

This dude seems well versed in his history and is mostly fine with just about everything. :shrug:
https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/6vv900/historical_analysis_of_ac_o_so_far/

Your link posted:

Julius Caesar bears a strong resemblance to many busts of him, and the only thing I would point out about his appearance is that he looks to be in his sixties or perhaps a bit older in game but historically he was about 52 when he arrived in Egypt but his hair was already thinning at the time unlike his in-game appearance which is kind of an understandable omission.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Deakul posted:

Yeah and he's fine with it, I don't think it's anything to get bent out of shape over.

I literally did nothing more than make note of this being a thing that happened.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 26, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I'm worried about the icon noise, but I can probably teach myself to not do every side quest.
As long as they don't decide that you can only pursue one quest at a time. And have to report to the quest giver before and after doing each quest.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

de Bello Gallico has him constantly pulling auxilia out of his rear end at random times, so I guess he could bring some to Egypt.

Really though - Roman legions were always bolstered by other troops recruited wherever, so it would be totally historically accurate.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

basic hitler posted:

I wish they would cut the poo poo with this series and make another game like Black Flag. This looks cool, but I want black flag but more & better dammit.
We already had 3 Black Flags, and the last one was pretty bad.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

KramFoot posted:

So I didn't see this posted in the thread but regarding the Modern Day story this time, you're playing as an abstergo researcher. Third-person like the old games, you can hop in and out of the animus. The woman you're playing as is called Layla Hassan, she is researching Bayek to impress the higher-ups.
Phone-posting so can't copy and paste links but just head over to the AC reddit and look for the MD spoiler thread, there's a lot of pics taken from a stream done yesterday.
Ok, this is how much I give a poo poo about modern-day AC plots, because I'm asking this for the first time - wasn't Desmond supposed to be a unique fit for the animus because he was delving into the memories of his ancestors? Why can anyone just go to any time period now that our favorite cutboard cutout is dead?

Edit - why does can anyone do able now will was could have?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 21, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I then started to consider at which point horses in Ancient Egypt would no longer be an anachronism and woke up. Well that's my story folks.
What?

Our oldest information about Egyptian warfare involves chariots. They weren't pulled by camels.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I decided to spare the steam thread from reading my rambling impressions of AC: Unity. The bad news? You get to read them instead. You know, as people who care about the rear end Creed series and might share some insight as to where it goes from here.

I generally note down things that struck me as worth mentioning while I play. But just for the sake of your sanity, I'm going to at least somewhat organize these impressions into broad categories. Spoilers obviously, if you're reading through the AC thread without having played decade old games but still caring about their plot.

Plot and characterization

I already noted elsewhere that the plot of Unity feels like ever so much careless filler, but still gets a lot of time devoted to it, which is definitely the worst of both worlds?

Arno loses two father figures within the opening hour, and I couldn't give less of a poo poo about either. The arrogant butler who dislikes Arno (and disappears from the story entirely thereafter, so I'm not sure what the purpose of that blunt method of exposition even was) has more dialog and characterization than both combined. Remember how Ezio got to spend some tutorial time with each of his family members? Basic stuff, but it got us to care about them all (except for the littlest poo poo and his feather obsession).

Just sloppy writing all around – a lot of “you already know what’s going to happen, so why waste time establishing things instead of telling you they happened”. But the game still put in the work to make the player empathize with Ezio’s goal. Messr’ whatever’s death is what drives Arno and the plot as a whole, but we don't care at all. And all his previous exploits with Messr’s daughter are told, not shown (I’m not saying we should have had more flashbacks to kid!Arno, but still).

After being adopted by a Templar and falling in love with a Templar, Arno doesn't know poo poo about what either order stands for (and never has it explained to him on screen) and joins the Assassins to get revenge because... ? Because they offered? Because that's how AC games go? Because Bellec happened to be in the Bastille to investigate hidden messages that also don't feature in the plot beyond this point?

Anyways, we end up meeting the Assassins, and we run into two problems with the basic structure of the plot: we don't care about the assassins and they don't care about the revolution.

The Assassin council members have a lot of lines. They have a great deal of screentime. Someone put a great deal of time and effort into designing their appearance. And they are complete and utter non-entities. Mirabeau and Bellec have just about enough traits to be called flat characters. Everyone else are just random crowd extras with an inexplicable about of time devoted to them.

I wouldn't call the brotherhood in AC2-Bro incredibly deep characters, but once again - someone put basic good crafting work into them. You've spent time with and learned from them, and you could put a name to a face and a basic description for each.

This is the freaking co-op game! First of all, you should have been able to co-op main storyline missions, but more to the point - you should have had a a bunch of co-op missions with brotherhood dudes. Figured out who the gently caress they are and what they do. Build up the brotherhood strength in Paris (which would give the assassins some kind of goal, see below). You could use different assassin avatars in co-op, even. I still give a gently caress about a bunch of NPCs from Black Flag. This is the bloody co-op game. Why do I have no loving clue who any of my assassin buddies are? The conflicts, betrayals and expulsions within the order mean so little, because no one put in the work to make us care about these characters.

(Apparently Syndicate drops the co-op aspect, despite having you play a pair of twins? Hope they at least put some work into your gang / friends)

Or you could borrow from the basic Brotherhood / Revelations setup - you go around Paris, helping out citizens who are menaced by the Templar plots, recruiting them for the brotherhood. Some would have more involved sidequests and actual personalities. Right now you have a thousand "kill the criminals / stop the pickpocket" annoyances that reward you with nothing but $ (see below for more on that).

Azio could also give some sort of opinion about what's happening as he recruits these folks. Ezio was a bit too talkative at times, but at least it showed his personality. When accepting random sidequests, he would generally have something to say that showed his drive and purpose. Arno is so weirdly mute and devoid of character outside cutscenes. The goddamn investigation or assassination missions have people acting at him while he just stares back. Even the basic Ezio "Templars bad, join us and fight for good stuff" would be something.

As an aside - Arno now somehow absorbs his victims memories after assassinating them? And no one feels the need to explain this or even find it odd in any way, shape or form? This game introduced crime investigations, which could have have been used to get more info on Templar activities. Or the brotherhood could have played an active role in getting info, which would have made them a bit less useless. And the only reason Arno falls for the Templar misdirection plot is because he doesn't shank one particular dude / doesn't absorb enough info from the other dudes he shanks. (Weirdly, you still get the “we need this guy to give us info, please don’t shank him” goals in side-stories)

The Assassins don't give a poo poo about the revolution

Just like "actually introduce us to characters you want us to care about", this is script writing 101, and I have no idea why it's so hopelessly bungled. Every trailer for the game is about the assassins leading the goddamned revolution. It's the hook that probably drew people to the game. Then the dastardly Templars pop up, all "haha, you thought you put us down with the aristos, but we took over and now there's tyranny and terror!"

The game could have an actual theme about the struggle for freedom and how uprisings / revolutions don't necessarily pan out as you wish. There could even be shared thematic concerns between AC3-BF-U and FC3-4-5.

(I wonder if the whole "the oppressed classes rise up" angle in Syndicate trailers fizzles out in a similar fashion)

Most of the story takes place well before the revolution comes into full swing, then fast-forwards through the interesting parts. The open world and all the assorted missions within take place during the Reign of Terror. On the streets, people are waving around pikes with heads on them and guys in red are murdering people based on the accusation that they are royalists before the king is ever deposed, much less executed. The jumping around through history, even between two icons right next to each other on the map, is hella confusing. AC had cities that changed as in-game years passed before, why on earth not do that here?

I know that people were annoyed at Connor Forrest-Gumping his way through the American revolution, but Ano doesn't meaningfully interact with the revolution at all, not even voicing an opinion. We see king Lui executed, because someone felt like we had to, but it doesn't matter - this is not a goal we aspire to, or something we're trying to prevent, it's just incidental. Robespierre is just a Templar puppet. We act to bring about his downfall, but it doesn't matter either. St. Just outright doesn’t feature at all. (His valet does feature in a side-story, ordering a human skin coat).

If the assassins had a goal in the revolution, instead of treating as a background, we might have participated in a bunch of battle setpieces (taken from AC3) or ship combat (I still have no idea why a game set in the 1790's just dropped sea gameplay in the most iconic era of sail ships combat).

Most importantly though, if the assassins don't give a poo poo about the revolution, and it's essentially a Templar affair (which the game even points out with "why aren't we fighting for freedom? Meh") then why are they even there? What is the point here? The revolution doesn't matter at all in the main storyline, and only kinda sorta has the assassins supporting the more liberal / moderate / corrupt elements of the revolution in co-op sequences.

The Templars drive the plot but are dull as dirt

But that could be fine. If there are no real assassins characters, no assassin motivations, and we don't really care about Arno's revenge plot, than surely the Templar part of the story, as the primary drivers of conflict, will actually be good? Of course not. Of course not. Germaine is a complete and utter non-entity of a bad guy, despite him and Le Touche being the only Templar antagonists of any note.

When Arno is asked to turn in his badge and gun in a very perfunctory manner (I can’t really think of intra-Brotherhood conflict that was well handled outside the Masyaf bunch) he tries to explain the whole “I know the bad guys plan, if you’d only take 10 seconds to listen”. Thing is – I still have no idea what the plan is and how knowing it would help stop it. The bad guy started the revolution to avenge Jack Moley and bring about a liberal democracy? And that’s what ends up happening, so we haven't quite thwarted him, but not quite exactly like he wanted it? There are zero stakes involved beyond personal revenge (which matters more for Elise than it does for Arno, who for all his “consumed with revenge” shtick kinda stopped that as Elise was introduced into the story with no particular character arc or motivation). Since the Assassins have no agency and aren’t trying to affect any changes, it doesn’t matter at all.

Weird, because the rear end Creed series actually had a fairly good history with compelling villains and interesting friendly characters (the lack of both explains most of my problems with Freedom Cry and Liberation).

Elise kinda has a character arc (more so than Arno, at least) and should have been the main character. I mean, if we're not putting any work into the brotherhood, being a rogue Templar makes more sense.

As per the modern day plot, it's outright "gently caress you for caring about the modern day plot, but we're still going to waste time on it". We start with the extremely limited stakes of "Abstergo could find the DNA of another sage, and it could give them more info they essentially already have, for more points that don't really matter".

And it ends with "guess Abstergo won't be able to find the remains". Why, because Arno hid them among thousands of other scattered bones? No, because they would be too deteriorated with the passage of time. Well... no poo poo. Unless Arno had a cryo-chamber installed in 18th century France, this was pretty much a given.

This went on a bit longer than I wanted it to be, so the gameplay elements - parkour, stealth, and combat - will be reviewed later.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 10, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Second part of my AC: Unity review.

Let's say you don't care at all about plot, or themes, or characters. You just want to run around the city, loot poo poo / clear out map icons, do missions, and get into fights? None of that stuff is really great either, sadly.

Running around and exploring

I will admit that the game looks good, and it's nice to come back to proper European architecture, tall climable buildings and all. But really - once you've spent an hour as a virtual tourist, climbing the Notre Dame and whatnot, you've still got like 50 hours worth of proper gameplay left. How nice it looks doesn't really matter past that point.

Just running across the map isn’t great. Better parkour systems, you say? Tell that to Arno, who keeps playing “the floor is lava” with Paris and frantically humping random bits of fornication instead of stepping foot on the ground as guards peer curiously. So just getting wherever you want is a bit of a chore. I've seen speedrunners (people who are intimately familiar with the game's obscure parkour systems) having trouble getting Arno to jump into a freaking window instead of climbing around it, or just climbing onto a chimney instead of jumping all over the roof. In general, someone added a lot of weight to the parkour system, and Arno feels way more clumsy and hard to control, grunting and oofing as he jumps around.

Remember how in previous games a diagonal surface (a ladder or a cart) leading to a series of ledges, poles and balconies would have you hopping around at speed? Now it's just a mockery of the concept, as you crawl along, far slower than walking the street or running the rooftops proper.

I will note that the newly added ability to quickly and automatically climb down a tall structure is kinda neat. I mean, just giving you better control of the camera as you're climbing would be better, but still.

Anyways. You're running around, it doesn't feel great, and you're trying to clear the map free of tasks and icons. Everyone has already mocked the game for completely overloading Paris with busywork and filler map icons. Once again - if we had a few more cities or if the city changed with time, these things could have been more spread out.

Some of the busywork is terrible in and of itself. AC2 had those stupid feathers. But you ostensibly had to use your eyes to find them yourself, they wouldn’t get marked on your map. Black Flag had shanties, but you had to actively chase them down, planning your approach. Cockades are just extremely Ubisoft pointless busywork, automatically marked on your map and motionless (but very hard to actually spot ingame). Edit – actually, Black Flag has shards, so that was pretty bad as well.

On that note: An annoying remnant from previous games – if you’ve marked something on the map, the mark will disappear as you come near it in-game, and you can’t re-mark it until move away. Having trouble finding exactly where some cockade or chest are? gently caress you.

Some nomad points appear on the map and in-world, but you can’t actually get them - Arno just passes through them to no avail. So you can't even clear the map of busywork, no matter how much you'd like to.

The red chests (there are regular chests, green chests, gold chests and red chests. Green and gold used to be locked behind the companion app, which is so Ubisoft it's like a self-parody. My condolences to people who bought the game at launch) are locked behind a lockpicking minigame. A terrible minigame with 3 different levels of difficulty, corresponding to three different levels of lockpicking skills. Which are locked behind plot progression. So those get to stick around as well. And practically none of the chests have anything in them besides money - you don't get weapons or consumables, which would at least make hunting down all the chests slightly more interesting. You don't need the money either, as the cafe gets you more money than you'll ever get from exploration once upgraded.

I will note that the ability to follow several different quests at once is neat. I mean, all those quests could just exist in the world at the same time, like... it's an actual world, rather than a bunch of instances, but if they can't...

I’m not one of those people who clamors for an in-game map instead of quest markers, but if you keep having street addresses and specific directions in your quests… why? I can’t actually see those in-game, I can’t actually navigate by street and house numbers. The game expects you to learn about the city locations and objects of interest, particularly when solving Nostradamus' riddles, but that's fundamentally at odds with the AC design.

The city is divided into areas, some of which have higher level enemies, with more health and damage. On the one hand, the hidden blade is still an insta-kill even on high level enemies (apparently Origins and Odyssey change that?), and making your way through a high-level mission at a low level, sneaking around disposing of guards is pretty neat. But first of all, there are often rewards scattered around in locked chests or behind locked doors, so there's no benefit to wandering into a high level area before you got high-level lockpick skills. More importantly, you will inevitably get spotted, and the ensuing combat will be awful.

Awful stealth and combat

I get it - someone decided that a game about assassins shouldn't have you charging into a dozen guys and combo executing them all. Ok, go make a new Thief game with an emphasis on stealth, or remake the AC stealth system entirely. Or, at least don't take a step back and make stealth even worse within the system.

There are snipers EVERYWHERE, and your lack of ability to pick up guns from fallen snipers (see below) make sniper patches that much harder to deal with without being spotted and shot to pieces.. The ability to target enemies for air assassinations and shots from above is severely nerfed, to the point that sometimes perching right above a guard's head in the catacombs won't target him for assassination or highlight him for a pistol shot, until he looks up and sees you (stealth game guards really shouldn't have that much vertical vision).

There are, what, 6 enemy types total? I wouldn't mind just a few re-skins even. Regular citizen models can fight, but the instances in which you fight anyone other than a regular enemy can be counted on one hand.

Among other things, a LOT of guards have installed tiny roofs right above the balconies or doorways they hang out in, just to stop you from jumping them. Double assassinations suddenly became extremely unreliable - if you don't take forever to line them up properly (and risk getting spotted by guards with eyes in the back of their head), half the time Azio will just shank one guard and alert the other. Forget about ever doing a double air assassination, it's just not happening.

Whistling to lure guards over for a shanking is replaced with firecrackers - which are consumables taking the place of an infinite ability, and which outright don't work, at all. Guards will just stare at the firecrackers without moving to investigate, unless you drop too many - in which case they'll go on alert and run in to stab Arno as he's stuck to wall, unable to disengage until hit a few times. Apparently, firecrackers are actually based on sightlines rather than sound?

You can't move around corpses to lure guards or stealth either. You can't do a lot of things anymore - whistle, pat animals, pick up weapons, rope people, dart people, shove people off buildings, go unarmed and punch people, go unarmed and disarm people, use the hidden blade in combat, change weapons in combat (one weapon and the pistol / consumables is literally all you get). All you can do is heavy strike, evade, and block. (And half the time, Arno will outright disengage from combat, refusing to draw his sword again until hit a few times).

I'm not fan of Batman combat. I played Asylum, started playing City, and just quit at the thought of punching my way through another thousand thugs. (I know, I should go back and force myself to play through until I convince myself the combat is tolerable). But I've been told this isn't even a good take on Batman combat to begin with.

I can sorta understand how someone thought endless counter kills and combo kills were too easy, but there was an elegance to combat in earlier AC games, if done properly. Now, every time you're fighting a guard that's the same level as you, you're just bashing down their health bar with a blunt instrument. Since the other guards are now free to attack you and shoot you as you laboriously go through your combo, you are poked and shot to pieces with no recourse. Guards can no longer climb buildings to follow you, but each and every one of them has a gun to shoot you in the back as you try to fight them. Or run away from them. Or climb a building away from them (and you can no longer ledge-grab as you fall from a shot). What fun.

Just wondering - does Syndicate London have gun control?

So you can't really stealth without ever getting caught, combat is a chore, and it's hard to run away without getting shot to pieces. So you're supposed to use your consumables to solve combat instead of hacking at the enemies? Except you only have so many consumables to go around, the enemies hardly ever drop consumables, and the fantastic "loot all" option from BF is gone, so you have to loot them one at a time. Time to hit the consumables vendor after every mission, yay! (And of course, you get more damaging weapons and clothes that allow you to store more consumables by buying them from Ubisoft)

There’s a special power that has Arno pull consumables out of his rear end, but it doesn’t just refill some portion of whatever you’re missing – it lasts for a few seconds, depending on the gear you have, and goes through each consumable category one at a time, refilling a few items in each until it runs out. One of the first items it checks are Mortar Bombs – which only start appearing in the endgame DLC. It doesn't really fix the problem of the player lavishly spending consumable items and then waiting for the power to recharge, because if you want to just pistol and smoke bomb people, you're good to go. If you want to use berserker darts, sucks to be you.

Dead Kings

I was just about to compliment the main game on dispensing with trailing missions and "don't get detected" sidequests, when Dead Kings hit me with both.

"Unfortunate that the sidequests and investigation plots don't have anything resembling proper cutscenes to lend them weight.
Well, we can't do cutscenes, but how about the investigations in Dead Kings stick the camera to the NPC as long as he talks, so that Arno can’t walk away and investigate? That's an improvement, surely?"

Dead Kings loves taking camera control away from you. Might not be a problem for other people, but I find it infuriating.

I didn't get anything about Dead Kings. Why is Arno (or De Sade) pursuing the artifact? Why isn’t Arno the least bit perturbed by the Fist Ones stuff and literal holograms? Who thought this game needed more First One's after the main game has practically none of that bullshit? Why is Arno acting all disillusioned as though it's a character arc, when he expressed absolutely no beliefs or idealism in the main game?

Bringing back outpost liberation and adding some new enemy types was a neat idea, but the outposts were so perfunctory, and you spend so much time in the crypts, fighting the same enemy for no clear reason (yeah, you're trying to find a lock, and then a key, and then a door, but it's broken up into so many arbitrary side-sections it barely even matters).

Odds and ends:

Co-op sessions are amazingly loving laggy. Like to the point that I kill 6 guys with instant executions on my end because they didn't spot Arno in the open, and then take damage at random intervals for the next 2 minutes or so, without actually seeing anything happen in the game world. Heist payments and achievements relying on pubbies not being spotted is... not the best idea.

The game has pop-ups obscuring its own pop-ups, stepping on its own lines. Achievement notifications often hang around until you leave the game entirely.

It’s been so many AC games, is it really so hard to have the game note whether my current costume has a hood, and whether Arno should be fiddling with an invisible one? And ffs, don’t have the dialog mention hoods when half the possible outfits don’t even have one. Though to be fair, the idea of outfits, allowing you to choose gear based on stats and still have coherent look, is good.

The "animus" frequently inserts foreign words into English dialog and translates them in subtitles. Made sense in (say) the Italian games, where there were entire phrases translated via subtitles. This is like a mockery of the idea, with the only French words being “Madam, Monsieur, Mademoiselle”, common words that don’t require a translation and are hella distracting.

The game crashed on me about 5 times in 60 hours or so.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 11, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Question:

Someone gifted me rear end Creed: Syndicate on Uplay.

Would I be able to purchase the Season Pass on Steam and have it apply?

Would I be able to somehow register the Uplay version on steam and be able to buy the season pass?

Is the season pass even worth it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Francis posted:

I'm glad that someone finally had the courage to say that Assassin's Creed: Unity is a bad game.
I'm kinda interested in how the series changed and why. For example, I understand that levelled mobs are a feature from every game onwards, and Origins / Odyssey moves towards full-on action-rpg combat.

sauer kraut posted:

No
No but all the cheap keystores will offer uplay keys for the pass
Don't know :shobon:
Yeah, but I have a bunch of valve funbucks I got from selling hats.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Uplay - the final insult.

But seriously, tf.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I'm insane and breaking my own rules about only playing one AC per year, but after finishing Unity I rushed straight into Syndicate. I dunno - I wanted more proper AC gameplay, but in a context I care about.

First of all, some vids.

An ever-dying bad guy from Syndicate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjQ32CRJdrQ

And an ever lip-syncing bad guy from Unity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92eeUX3qkyc

Impressions time:

Modern day stuff
Not a lot of time spent on that bullshit, which is great. Up to sequence 4 now, and we only had one interruption, which teased Shaun getting loving murdered but sadly failed to deliver. That would have been a 10/10 on the spot, no questions asked.

A scene in which the assassins fail to murder a random Templar, then the Templars, springing an ambush, completely fail to murder or secure a couple of assassins, who easily get away. Nothing that happened made any difference, but your time sure was wasted with the hope that Shaun would get his head blown off. Quite the summary of the modern day plot.

(Edit - we later get another interruption just to reiterate the information in the paragraph above, with no new information added)

Once again, “finding A piece of Eden" is filler as hell. Yeah, I realize that we've seen like a dozen different pieces or apples across the games, but if chasing one down is the ostensible ultimate goal, then you kinda have to ignore that or at least claim that the power of this piece will seriously shift the balance so that things have any sort of stakes. And like in the very second tutorial mission “oh, and we’ve found ANOTHER goddamned piece of Eden", so who even cares.

When Desmond was actually learning assassin skills alongside the historical protagonist, going through their training made sense. If we’re just here to find a specific object, why not just jump around their memories?

Come to think of it “Jacob and Evie Frye are twins, that’s cool!” is deeply stupid as context-free dialog in-universe and entirely pointless as exposition, because we establish that in the historical narrative. Once again, it's a good example of how pointless and just tossed-together the modern day everything is.

Good changes:

Subtitles are on by default. Excellent. All games should do this.

Whistling is back, yay. Stealth seems to be better. Cover isn't nearly as sticky.

Parkour seems a bit more responsive. For the first time in AC history the game actually figured out that if I’m on a railing around the balcony, I’m generally trying to step off the railing and onto the balcony, not hop over to the other railing.

Dedicated window entering button, another specific fix to a Unity complaint.

You can mark items you see in the game world on your map with one button press, so that you remember where they are. Fantastic.

Someone finally figured out that if you're ever pointing your mouse at a map icon, it's to mark it as a destination, and that there's no need for an additional confirmation.

There's a large, but not overwhelming, number of varied activities, which are mostly a bit challenging and memorable.

Neat bit – saw a target (David Brewster) through a barred window, in a room with a bunch of guards. Thrown knife to the face (or rather, a miss and several body shots) and he’s down. Exactly what I wanted to do during the King of Beggars mission in Unity. Edit – I was actually supposed to air-assassinate him. But the game didn’t display this when I saw and killed him.

Fights are quick and fluid, including AI fights (first in the series - I love AI fights, but in AC it was always a stupidly long drawn-out affair). Being able to auto-loot assassinated enemies is great. I still want the “loot all” button back though.

The “stairs up” cheat that allows enemies to teleport to roofs is a decent compromise if you can’t have enemies climbing for some reason.

I care a great deal more about London than Paris. I don't know if it looks better - at that level of graphical fidelity, the details are indistinguishable to me, but it certainly holds my interest a lot better. Are the poor areas in London using a slowed down version of “Down among the dead men” as their theme? That’s pretty great.

The bad stuff.

Liberating an enemy gang territory. The sub-objective is to free and defend your gang members. The moment their captors are dead, they rush to fight the rest of the gang and get killed. This happens every time.

The Rooks are objects rather than actors in story, but it’s still shame they have absolutely no lines or personality. I mean, they’re the last gang fighting against Templar control – they have no reasons for doing so or leading characters? (I basically think the Brotherhood characters, with each activity being represented by a Brotherhood members, make the most sense in these stories in general. I know we have a bunch of Assassin allies in this one, but the gang you run should have had some).

You bat-hook is a lot of fun, but it just refuses to function sometimes, and I have no idea why. Just walking around, waiting until it decides to re-activate.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 18, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The henchies in this game really don't want to die sometimes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ibty9qWDqM

Syndicate stuff:

Is it just me, or do the Fryes flirt with every single assassin contact?

Why do we keep seeing our main targets and just hiding / running until they go away. "We're not at that part of the game where you get to shank them yet" isn't a very good explanation in-universe.

A fight with a borough leader just locks you into melee. All knife / revolver shots are blocked, and you can’t aim manually or climb. What. The. poo poo. The very first leader fight (on top of the train) could just be shot repeatedly. Why? What’s the point of playing an assassin if you can’t be smart about assassinating people?

A number of missions start you on the train, on the other side of the map from the destination, with no fast travel points available. Closing the game and restarting brings you where you need to be, but still.

You can actually knock out like everyone. Be a mostly non-lethal assassin. Neat. Not going to do that, but still. Neat.

Eagle vision now permanently marking enemies is great, but I don’t know why you can’t just run with it.

Gang members and pedestrians randomly mistake one Frye twin for the other.

I swear the game constantly keeps telling me I have new outfits. I don’t, and I’ve read the info for each. They just keep resetting.

Why the hell is there a progress and database entry for every anti-templar activity (child liberation, gang strongholds), but you can’t actually replay them?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Was just watching a random speedrun, and heard the claim that textures and graphical details were downgraded in rear end Creed 2 compared to 1. Wonder if that’s true?

Is the Season Pass for rear end Creed Origins worth it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Finished Syndicate + Jack the Ripper DLC. Syndicate was dumb but semi-decent, JtR was fairly bad.

General nitpicking

Replaying the Sir Brewster assassination. Evie has the “become invisible while sneaking still” upgrade, which activates as he blathers on in the white room. She stays invisible throughout the subsequent escape.

We never did explain why the twins insist on keeping serial killer mementos in the form of bloody handkerchiefs from each victim. Ditto the pit-fights / races guy - he first shows up in a Templar base, and he reminds us that this was the case towards the end of the game, but we never get an explanation as to what the gently caress he was doing there. Guess I would have to read a novel or some poo poo to find out.

Is George (the assassin leader who features in exactly one early game cutscene) seriously such a useless and pointless character that no one bothered to proofread his encyclopedia entry? Or was I having a stroke as I read it? Are "memories" now slang for assassin assignments?

Otto Berg’s entire biography is an excuse for what a mess he was in Rogue, "technically unable to correctly pronounce his own name". Presumably. I didn’t actually have anything to do with Rogue’s present day sections.

Juno is just so loving boring. Who thought that having constant interruptions from her during the WWI sections, interruptions that can’t be bothered to progress the plot or even tell us anything we didn’t know, are a good idea?

Your gang members outright mess up the mission structure. No communication between different Ubisoft parts, I guess? They can be sent to kill everyone in an area where you're not supposed to kill anyone yourself. Or they can cause you to be detected and fail the mission by their very presence. The Marx anarchist mission - if you get on the roof of the carriage, a gang member will take over the driver’s seat. If you try to drive the carriage, the anarchist will get thrown out and automatically die. Oh, and at the end of the mission, when the carriage is supposed to get hijacked while you’re busy, my gang members just killed the hijackers. I still had to go "retrieve" the explosives tho.

I haven’t been doing multi-kills (because it’s a stupidly long quicktime event that’s really hard to trigger outside fight clubs) but it’s amazing just how anxious the twins are to stop you from doing that. You’re comboing a guy, and they will teleport to the other side of the ring in mid-combo to execute a staggered dude.

Is it really too hard to lock side missions involving specific NPCs behind the main missions where we are introduced to them? “Your highness, Evie Frye - Yeah, we’ve killed like 500 Templars together”.

Starrick goes “didn’t I tell you, boy...” – no. You’ve never actually talked to Jacob. Much less give him a speech about exploitation you seem to be referencing now.

Actual problems

I swear it’s true – I was literally thinking how one dumb thing rear end Creed DOESN’T do, is the old “you pick up a bunch of ancient relics, run all over the city to open the thing they lock, and the bad guys show up just as you open it, with no in-universe explanation” – right when the game goes and does just that. And now we’re chasing the Shroud of Eden, rather than the two already introduced Pieces of Eden.

“How will the audience be able to tell that the Joke… our craaaaaaaaazy scarred bad guy is truly sinister and reprehensible? Oh I know! We’ll have him forcefully kiss our hero! Even though they’re both dudes! Man, that is so gross and disturbing! He’s truly an agent of… an actor of chaos! See, it works on multiple levels!”

I like how Starrick has his stupid belief system and ostensibly stands for more than just being evil. On the other hand, every single dead bad guy has a big speech justifying their eeeeeeeevil plans, and our heroes are left sputtering along with “well, that’s just like your opinion, man”. Except for Cardigan. Someone on the writing team had a huge hate boner for that guy. But the biggest objection they actually manage to bring up is “he’s a boastful blowhard”? JFC that’s terrible.

Look, you can have a bit about how “revolutions have a price, indiscriminate violence is not necessarily the answer” (“discriminate violence is the answer”) but you’re literally talking about how getting rid of horribly corrupt and murderous people heading an enterprise (and replacing them with totally nice and law-abiding people, but not changing or abolishing any of institutions involved) is fraught with peril. That’s basically the most liberal take on reform possible, and we’re pointing out how dangerous that is?

Ok, someone got shot in the modern day plot – time to use the shroud? No, not that either? And we’re adding another dumb plot point that will go nowhere? Thanks.

Checking the database entries for present day in Jack The Ripper – the woman who got tazed is loving dead, while the guy who got smashed into the floor and was the subject of a “nope, he’s not moving” closeup lives?

Jack The Ripper DLC – The original game apparently didn’t have nearly enough trailing missions. Trailing missions where the target’s path-finding AI breaks down completely CONSTANTLY.

More involved investigation scenes prove that putting more effort into something does not make it better. More slow forced interactions leading you by the nose as you are forced to dig through the clues in a linear order are not an improvement. For some reason, the investigations DLC isn't actually a part of the season pass, so that's time and money well saved.

Ok, so we have assassin vs assassin. Jack is dissatisfied with the Creed and is implementing his own reign of terror. The root of the disagreement, the ideological foundation that underpins your whole high-concept spinoff is that… Jack is CRAAAAAAAAAAZY. And just to emphasize that, our climax takes place in a mental asylum, where every inmate is a murderous lunatic attacking everyone he sees (well, except for other bad guys, naturally).

Seems fairly obvious Jacob was meant to be the Ripper. “Oh yeah, it was actually Jack all along, just like Evie supposed from the start” is so stupid.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 2, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I didn't get an answer last time, but still really wondering - is the DLC / season pass for Origins worth it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I've been told by friends who loved Origins that the DLC is some of the best stuff in the game and was their favorite part of it but I've never played it

I would say if you really enjoyed Origins you are going to want to check it out
I haven't played Origins yet. Trying to figure out whether I should buy the DLC ahead of time.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Doc M posted:

I'm liking Syndicate for the most part, but holy poo poo those Karl Marx missions were just unfun and often broken garbage. The one where you got to throw nitroglycerin crates at Templars for full sync was the only one I enjoyed.
I just brought my Rooks. They break the game like you wouldn't believe - it SEEMS like the basic narrative was built around them, but none of the missions account for their presence. You can have them kill pretty much everyone with no repercussions.

The water also acts as a hiding spot in this instance, which is neat.

Doc M posted:

- Mission 1: Beat the Maharaja in a target-shooting contest by hitting ten bottles. Even if I manage to hit nine in 20 seconds, the tenth is literally out of my gun's range and I can barely see it. You're not allowed to get closer either, so I'm not sure what I was expected to do in all of that.
You don't need to hit all 10 to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Deceitful Penguin posted:

or had Karl Marx say that violence isn't the answer
That's actually one of the few things about Syndicate that's extremely appropriate for the year it takes place in, rather than an abstract idea of what things were like in Victorian London in general.