Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Megasabin posted:

In the videos I've seen the devs have stated they consider any area 5 levels above you as "very difficult". When watching someone in a video attempt one, his one hit assassination takedown did not kill an enemy in 1 hit nor did a direct headshot arrow.

Seeing someone get up from a full out execution takedown with a hidden blade to the neck is just weird. I'm not sure it will ever feel right.

Yeah, things like that are really lazy when they could just as easily program in that super-higher-level character just being able to parry or dodge your assassination attacks but that's effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

evilentity posted:

1070, i5 4670k. Low, runs like rear end. Very high, runs like rear end. Very high it is i guess.

I'm using a 1070 and an i3 6100 and I'm getting 40-60 FPS on very high.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

GhostDog posted:

Sure, but also I think when you compare anything to the Witcher 3 it is kinda implied you're talking about characters and writing first and foremost, which as much as I'm enjoying Origins it doesn't really compare. It's good, to me the best since Brotherhood and in some ways actually better, but expectations are better kept in check. It's still a pretty safe AC and Ubi open world game.

Definitely a good model to build on though. This engine with some 1300-1700s architecture to run around in and some great loot whoring to go along with it? Yes please.

Thoughts on where they go next? I'd love some Petrine Russia.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So my biggest gripe so far is that predator bows only hold 9 arrows maxed out. That's some poo poo. I should be able to be a sniper death god if I want to be.

Also (some of) the side missions are really good. I wish it was easier to tell the chaff from the wheat but Ubi has clearly learned some hard lessons here and the non-cynical side of me is happy to see that a giant studio can learn instead of just making GBS threads out a bunch of garbage until they fold (*cough* every studio EA acquires *cough*)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Supreme Allah posted:

Argh. I was trying to do a level 17 prison rescue and someone lit a brazier and now level 22 Ptolomey's Fist is in the camp. I escaped but he doesn't seem interested in leaving any time soon.

I just had the same thing happen to me. I eventually lured him out of the camp and chipped away at him with all the bow types and sleep darts.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm so drat in. I hope Ubisoft learns from this and does like the intel think of taking the extra year to iterate and then going back to back with game refinements rather than just flooding.
But I am very excited about that inventory. Who doesn't want to play murder-witcher-man dress-up?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Given that (endgame spoilers) Kassandra lives for 2000ish years, I hope she's the protagonist/shows up in the next game
It also seems pretty likely that we're getting the Japan setting next.
This game was great. I'm actually kinda looking forward to the dlc for once.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ulio posted:

I seriously wonder when they will do an Oriental game. Japan/China/India are all pretty obvious ones with good periods. Americas pre colonization is interesting as well.

I really want Petrine Russia

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I really hope they get the RPG mechanics right in this
I'm tired of the +3% to dropkick kinda modifiers
Give me equipment that matters or don't bother with the systems

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

There's nothing sarcastic about it. I feel only tremendous pity for those whose minds are so poisoned that they cannot enjoy the simple beauty of Number Go Up.

I love dress-up and numbers going up, I just wish they went up in tangible ways. Give me 10% increments at least if we're doing modifiers, that's all.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I tried another few hours of Unity today and as much as I want to like it and as much as it is a beautiful game, I feel like it's a really refined version of the AC2 trilogy.
The crowdsizes are amazing and I don't think another game has done anything like that since, and Paris is lovingly rendered, but I think that style of game may just be too far gone to be fun anymore.

You start to see the open world stretching seams almost immediately.

I feel like I'm on the verge of having fun but never quite getting there.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 3, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

webmeister posted:

I think Unity was probably also the peak of "pointless collectibles" dotting the map, including chests you could only open with the companion app that of course no longer works

I'm noticing they tried something funky with the sidequests too where the conversations don't seem to take control of the camera to make the conversations more... cinematic I guess.
It's weird and makes the side missions feel so tertiary. I get that it was maybe to make the conversations feel more diegetic but it also kinda feels like they didn't want to bother with closer cameras/lip-syncing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

It still blows me away that Unity managed to be a game set against the backdrop of arguably one of the most fascinating and interesting periods of human history and somehow made it... boring.

Like, you have to work REALLY hard to do that.

It's also just an absolutely stunningly realized city. The free-running feels great, the houses being all like... actual houses you can go into is still amazing.

I also did three missions in a row that were:
1. Go to location
2. Eagle vision for glowing gold things
3. Interact with the gold things
4. Steal/kill the things.

Also the velvet textures are gorgeous. More games need to lean into that velvet. It's up there with the metal pieces in Dragon Age: Inquisition in terms of memorable texturing for me.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Whoa where's all this hate for 2 coming from?

All the weird photoshopped renaissance art and the conspiracy theorist poo poo was actually still really cool back then. It only started to suck after the writer who cared about it left

Or am I colored too much by nostalgia?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

Brotherhood is just 2 but better which harms its rating for me. Like it has the same good writing, same good characters, with slightly tweaked and improved mechanics, and new additions that were fun and good.

isk posted:

I liked AC2 a lot at release. It was refreshing after AC1's clunkiness, and Jesper Kyd's soundtrack still slaps. Ezio remains one of Ubisoft's best leads, maybe in games in general? Lightning in a bottle. Also, Leonardo, and Monteriggioni to a lesser extent.

But booted up now, the gameplay hasn't aged well, like waiting for parry opportunities isn't great and combos take much longer than in Brotherhood. I'd say it's also the start of too many gadgets and tools in the series, but some folks might like the variety.

I suppose I get it, yeah. I would just say there's something to the sincerity about the meta-narrative that makes it stand out compared to the rest of the series. It felt very sincere and interesting compared to the rest.
It's like the difference between someone who actually believes in the weird conspiracy stuff and the rest of the series kinda feels like a pastiche on the concept.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I finished AC Syndicate this morning and it was totally okay, maybe the okayest game I've ever played. It looks really nice and still manages to be quite demanding even on a fairly beefy PC. It plays pretty well although I much, much prefer the simplified parkour and deeper combat mechanics from Origin and Odyssey. The story and villain are barely there, and potentially novel systems like the Rooks never truly amount to anything interesting, but it's all fine. It's fine!

It's definitely feels in all ways like the B-team game that it is. Doesn't break any new ground except maybe the dual protagonist system and the zipline that never comes back.

It was fine. I played it when it came out and I have no memory of the story but I remember sneaking in a trainyard and London houses with fences around them but... nothing really distinct.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

Of all the pre-Origins and Odessey rear end Creeds which has the best stealth gameplay? The parts about Origins and Odessey I like the best are scoping out forts and slowly and methodically making my way through taking out everyone. I am quite interested by the idea of the Victorian era London one and vaguely recall that Black Flag had some similar fort infiltration thing, but there have been so many of these drat games I don't really know which one to go for. I am fed up of Odessey and its sprawling bland-ness and mediocre stealth and want to perhaps try something different. Actually any suggestions for a different game that has a similar gameplay style would be really appreciated.

That particular gameplay loop is very well done in the Sniper Elite games. For more general stealth stuff, Dishonored, the modern Deus Ex's, Metro (last light and exodus specifically), MGS5, the new Tomb Raiders.

If you want to stick to Assassin's Creed... Probably Syndicate is the most refined of that era? Black Flag is fun but it's more of a sailing game than anything.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

I would say MGSV still edges it out for sheer joy of how good that one feels to completely ghost a base, whereas in Hitman ghosting stuff in your suit is mostly tedious and disguising yourself to make everyone eat rat poison is the real thrill.

So it kinda depends on your definition of 'stealth'

Yeah, Hitman is tons of fun but playing the "right" way is not rewarded as generously as playing the silly way and I think that's to its detriment.
MGS doesn't punish you for playing with all the tools it gives you.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Game is good. I started on animus gender but lady Eivor is winning me over, I might make the switch permanently. I'll wait for the first animus switch and let the fella have his turn first I suppose but so far so good overall.

The combat feels meatier. God of War-ish I suppose, which is fine but I may be the only human in the world that enjoyed the floatier Witcher style.
I suppose the weight feels better fitting for the axes and brutal fighting thoguh.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Well, at the very least, I have more hope in Ubisoft to do overhaul patches for this game than Fromsoft did for Dark Souls. I feel like some weapon types are completely overshadowed due to speed issues, and some weapon types (1h hammer lmao) just body everything

heavy hammer+stomp+light hammer is a "kill all the mooks" feel-good combo for the ages

I do very much enjoy this game though I have started having crashes during raids which is upsetting. Hope for some stability patches soon.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

404notfound posted:

What's the first hammer you can get? I banged my head against the wall fighting that guy in the cave near the starter town until I finally beat him and got his spear, and I've been making good use of the spear off-hand attack (hold LB/L1) into stomp

Possible spoilers for the starting zone: https://assassinscreedvalhalla.wiki.fextralife.com/War+Hammer

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

This game is frustrating, because it feels like it could be so much more. I think England is actually a pretty cool environment to go around in.
The problem is the same as any other Assassins Creed game, which is that the movement feels clunky and travelling takes forever.

I think this iteration specifically did try to take a lot of lessons from Breath of the Wild in trying to make the environment into the puzzle and the side quests little bite-sized pieces like shrines but yeah, it does still feel larger than it has to be and the incremental rewards do not quite tickle the pleasure part of the brain the same way solving a little puzzle and getting a korok seed can do.
I also get that Quebec/Montreal does a tick/tock development cycle so I am forgiving that some of the good stuff from Odyssey is missing but they really should be working hard to make sure none of the QOL stuff ever gets left in a branch.

It's definitely a step up from Odyssey's loot/level system and laborious sidequest chains but it doesn't quite reach the craftsmanship of the BotW world (which, hey, few things will and this game had a 2 year dev cycle, not the "until it's done" nintendo iteration style)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So I spent an hour fishing up 10 (small) bullhead for one of the offering shrine things and the game gave me 1 skill point.

It was at that point that I fired up cheat engine and gave myself all the materials I would need to upgrade poo poo because if the game isn't going to respect my time I am not going to respect it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Earwicker posted:

i just had a weird bug where i got the galloglaich armor, upgraded it to mythical status, then like 40 hours later in a completely different area i found the galloglaich armor again. when i looked at both sets in my inventory, the first set reverted back to its un-upgraded state, then both switched to the fully upgraded version

I had the same thing happen with the huntsman armor.

This game definitely could've used another month or two in the oven. I get why they didn't with Cyberpunk coming out and it's not Unity hilariously busted or anything but it's definitely got some really weird smaller things going

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So the stupid Yule Festival event introduced a whole host of bugs into the game. That’s just super.

Yeah, and it'd be one thing if it introduced interesting content but it was just a snow effect on the base and the same 4 minigames given a holiday theme. It's entirely unnecessary and would've been better spent squashing the tons of bugs the game already had.

I beat this today, finally. I'll join my voice to the Greek chorus in saying this is a step back from Odyssey in most ways (save maybe the level scaling/some aspects of the combat)
Eivor was cool, and there were some cool story moments but it felt like a story that came after the game setting and not the other way around. Just really empty/by the numbers.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'd say "something has to give" with both this game and Watch Dogs: Legion showing a lot of seams, but this is Ubisoft we're talking about. We've got yet another Far Cry coming down the pike... at the very least, a series that tries to make its villains interesting (by building entire games around them). I haven't felt satisfied by a Ubi series in a long, long time but they always just show just enough flash, during a period where there's barely anything else new to play, that I get suckered.

I feel like Tsushima took a lot of wind out of the Valhalla sails. The general gameplay concepts still work but when a super polished/pretty version of your general formula comes out earlier than your newest flagship release and yours isn't as well realized, you're in trouble.

I also can't shake the feeling that Valhalla just feels like a game people had to make and something like Tsushima and even Immortals had members of the team wanting to try new things and iterate on what they've done before. It's all so by the numbers and ultimately kinda dispassionate.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Earwicker posted:

"in trouble" in what sense though? i agree with you that tsushima is a much more polished and beautiful (and imo, just better) game than valhalla, but valhalla's sales were still absolutely massive. we all have various gripes with valhalla (or with odyssey, or origins, etc), but most of us are going to buy the next one, and they know that. while i hope they learn from the way some of the mechanics are implemented in ghost of tsushima, and that they do more bug testing, also release the next game when its actually finished, valhalla was so successful as-is that there's little incentive for them to feel that they are in trouble. the danger of sucker punch supplanting them in the marketplace is pretty low. and on top of that, the debacle of cyberpunk unfolded at the same time as valhalla's release so instead of feeling like someone knocked them out of the water, they unexpectedly dominated

I suppose critically/creatively and if it continued, fanbase wise. Granted, I also don't want to read too much into it because cross-gen releases are always addled in their own ways, too.

Surely there is a place for the good and not great open world games and ubisoft could be very happy slotting in to that position but as a genuine fan of the series/their work I'd like to see them taking the next step that Odyssey seemed to hint that they are capable of instead of the one-forward/two-back that valhalla felt like. At the same time, that's also I suppose inherent in having two teams doing a tick-tock development pattern.

I mean I had definitely had fun playing it but I also started to skip stuff and it has the feel of a piece of media I probably won't be able to recall the plot of in a few years like Syndicate.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I definitely think the gameplay "feel" took a step forward in Valhalla but the overall experience and quest design hit much weaker than Odyssey.
The usual ubisoft one step forward one step back one step sideways sorta scenario.
Also I am finding that Valhalla's story is not really sticking in my mind. I think of Valhalla and mostly my brain draws up doing the same goddamned raid over and over, pushing the button to get the guy to come help me open the door, waiting, pushing the button to have them come help me open the chest, waiting...

e:
The flyting was fun though. In a way they sorta fit into the game like Tsushima's haiku locations. They should have had better rewards though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Does your Raven get better, I feel like it's much less useful than than the eagles in the last two

Not really, no. They intentionally nerfed it because they felt it was too powerful in the other games

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Casnorf posted:

You're an axe murdering viking warrior. Stealth just means you don't call them out first.

And when it comes to the callout, Tsushima had such a better mechanic for that

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i get tired of the isu poo poo. i prefer the ISU poo poo when its like origins or syndicate. its there and has its place, but its mostly two dickhead factions fighting over scraps of it.

I'm with you 100% on this. I hate the fact that they have agency in the contemporary/modern parts of the games now.
They should have kept it like it was in 2 all Ancient Aliens conspiracy style with historical folks loving with fragments of broken technology from a dead society they have no hope of ever understanding

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

To be clear I also did not dislike the modern stuff I just preferred the original writer/director's vision which was batshit conspiracy rather than rote eternal battle of good vs evil

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 28, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

All Odyssey needed was a way to quickswap damage/range/stealth loadouts without going to a menu. The cosmetics/dress-up part was a lot of fun and the sheer number of sets was impressive.
Valhalla "fixed" that by removing interesting abilities altogether and making all the armor look drat near the same.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I guess another thing to kinda try to keep in mind as well is that these games are literally alternated between two studios so it's not necessarily always a director iterating on a feature they like or even find fun
Which is no doubt why Immortals ends up feeling like a more direct follow-up to the design of Odyssey compared to Valhalla

Another thing I didn't know/remember is that the original (experienced) director of Valhalla got fired in June before the November launch so Valhalla had to go through critical polishing time with someone directing their first game which makes all the launch bugs make a hell of a lot more sense but doesn't really explain the overall kinda jumbled design

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I also completely forgot Vinland is apparently Eivor's resting place for some reason which makes even less sense considering how goddamned inconsequential it is to the story.
She made no connection to the location or the people there. Why would she go back

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ilitarist posted:

Now Assassins Creed is not just Witcher 3 and Dark Souls, but also Shadow or Mordor and Yakuza and Breath of the Wild. What will they add next? Hope it's Slay the Spire or Hades.

It sounds like I'm mocking Ubisoft and some time ago I was among the smug haters of Ubisoft copy-paste open worlds filled with icons, but for the last few years they deliver functioning products (well, compared to certain other open world games) with huge scale and ambitious systems. And starting with Watch_Dogs 2 and Origins it's no longer quantity over quality, it's both. It's mind-boggling how much effort is put into these worlds. You need to watch some documentaries or try Discovery Tours to realize that a lot of what you see is no longer random background filler. You can see every step in the process of winemaking in Odyssey wineries, see the realistic pottery making on the streets of Memphis, children playing the games they probably played back then, houses having rooms for specific purposes etc. At the same time, you get fantastical and non-sensical elements as well anachronistic social interactions and, say, equipment, but that's part of the deal of telling a story to a modern audience.

Yeah it's very easy to poo poo on Ubisoft for churning out just too much blandish content but their project management for the most part seems to be really loving on point. Consider (not a great example but) 3, Black Flag, and Unity came out in 2012-2013-2014 from the same Ubisoft Montreal studio (Black flag getting dev help from Milan and Kyiv).

Quebec and Montreal have been consistently putting out pretty well realized huge open worlds every 2-3 worlds and while not everything is a hit there hasn't been an AC3 level bomb since AC3. Valhalla is a relative disappointment largely because it's following arguably the best entries in the series with Origins and Odyssey.

It's a huge company with a bunch bunch of satellite offices and for the most part they seem to hit their deadlines and only occasionally release something super broken. I say kudos to them.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I loved the gunplay in sleeping dogs because it had the best use of bullet time I’d ever seen in a video game, in that you could only activate it by doing sweet action movie poo poo, and you could keep it up indefinitely so long as you never stopped doing cool poo poo until you ran out of enemies to kill.

That game is also one of the few gta clones to make car chases feel fun, they gave you a lot of fun options to take your targets down, I feel like chases were something that gta never quite got right.

I wouldn’t say that sleeping dogs had the best driving, although it was very fun still. And it did so many other things right that it’s easily my favorite game in the genre, and the fact that we’re never getting a sequel is proof that god is either not real or hates us

Speaking of dope bullet time games did everyone know this game came out on PC because I swear I played it ages ago on my 360 and have been yearning for it ever since
https://www.gog.com/game/stranglehold

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I just got my wife into Odyssey after she played/beat Immortals and I feel slightly bad introducing her to Ubi games because her brain is very hard-wired for "collect everything" but at the same time Odyssey rocks and watching her play it on the new giant HDR tv reminds me just how gorgeous that game is

And I reckon she'll get a good 100+ hours out of it with all the DLC

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Earwicker posted:

i found legion's london to be a rather lifeless and limited feeling open world, especially compared to the previous one in that series

honestly ac syndicate might be my favorite portrayal of london in a video game. the writing and gameplay in that one has plenty of problems but the city itself is extremely well done its one of my favorite open worlds to just wander around and look at poo poo. tho its not really sooty or grimy enough for what it was historically like at that time

The architecture and crowd density in the Paris/London games are unparalleled in Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla.

I'd really love for AC to get back to that in some future games. Petersburg/Moscow are begging for it and you could get into a lot of weird fun stuff with Rasputin and the peasant revolts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I think this is something Ubisoft was talking about as far back as 2018. I don't think the concept is terrible outright but their cited influences don't inspire confidence.

What I really need is to be stealthily taking out guards in a base only for some rear end in a top hat to come in and start chucking bombs and sending people to the signal fire

That's what I want my assassin's creed experience to be