Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
didn't realize that one tune was actually a cover from AC2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I killed a cultist leader in a place where i can't get a confirm kill prompt. They'll respawn if I reload the game, right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

orcane posted:

Why can't you get the prompt? And yeah I assume you'll just have to load an earlier save.

His corpse ragdolled through a wall. I could get to him from either side but there was no prompt.

After fast traveling away he was back on his feet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lobok posted:

Why do they make you confirm the kill anyway? There's no special scene or dialogue like when killing important targets in previous games and I already want to find their corpse to loot it.

one reason would be to force a kill when you down them non-lethally

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i'm guessing if you fail to pick up a mercenary's gear after killing them, it just disappears into the ether?

i once spent over 5 minutes looking for the body because i was afraid of missing out on their legendary (I had lost track of where it was because i was fighting so many others)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Minor qol addition I'd like since they're constantly polishing and updating the game (equipment compare is new, right?): the ability to check what higher tiers of skills do without committing points. Some skills have functional changes at those tiers. (you can already respec just to explore abilities but that feels inelegant and atm, for my character, the cost is insignificant but not completely trivial).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think it's kinda cool, but the naval stuff feels pretty shallow in Odyssey (I haven't played an AC game with ships before).

Bit odd how it's become a staple feature in a franchise about stabbing dudes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

not really enjoying my time focusing on the hunter tree. i'm bad at headshots in general but shields are my bane. i have that skill that pierces shields but it's a bit underpowered. predator shot is powerful but awkard to aim in close quarters. in harder crowded fights i do a lot of poorly aimed plinking to build adrenaline in between near constant rolling. think it comes down me being a poor shot. i also don't make great use of the dodge slo mo.

e: this game is such a time sponge. spent six+ hours playing today but i don't feel like i did all that much.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 6, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Are the menu load times better on PC than PS4? Please make simpler menus if making them fancy results in having to wait for them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

poisonpill posted:

Menu..............load times?
:goofy:

that's the appropriate reaction. the mercenary screen is the worst culprit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lobok posted:

Yeah when I feel like strategizing on the menu screen to avoid delays that means the menus are too slow. Same in Witcher 3.

Lol I noticed I was subconsciously doing this too

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Getting bottle necked by leather, because you need it to upgrade most of your gear. Not a big issue since you can always buy some, but is there a good bulk source, like ships are for wood?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

damage boosting weapon effects are active even when the weapon isn't in use (else hunter damage on a melee weapon wouldn't make much sense). but is this true for other types of effects?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

orcane posted:

Pretty sure the game takes what you have equipped, and applies it to whatever a skill or attack uses (eg. hunter damage if you're shooting bows/use bow skills or assassin damage for assassinations and hero strike). Your inactive second melee weapon doesn't count as equipped for stats/bonuses.

you sure? changing your second melee weapon affects all the displayed damages, just the same as your first weapon and bow.

the dps is determined on a per weapon basis, but i think damage boosts (and maybe other effects) stack cumulatively.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I killed Kyra's father before talking to her about the doll. Which I think stopped me from being able to confront her about it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Don't know if the gal that murders stray passerbys for an adrenaline rush, is the best partner for philosophical dialogs on justice, Socrates.

(It's cool that some quests keep track of how bloody your approach was).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any tips for bow aiming during combat? I'm struggling and considering turning on aim assist (playing on the PS4).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Doing better with bows after adjusting the sensitivity way down. Pity the there aren't separate sliders specifically for aiming because now the camera is a bit sluggish elsewhere.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

there seem to be many kinds of horses in the world but only a handful of skins are purchasable from blacksmiths. are there more skins as random loot (besides the special ones like the fire horse)?

also can't quite figure out what determines whether or not kassandra automatically mounts phobos after calling him.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Oops wrong Diona

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Your eagle can tell them apart as well.

Clever.

You can't save Phoibe can you?

Also does the plague sweep Athens regardless of your actions (as it did historically)?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sauer kraut posted:

get the skill that gives you full adrenaline at the start of combat asap.

what skill is this, or is it from origins?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Regarding Kyra.

Kyra was devastated and angry that I killed her (former) lover. Which annoyed me because it was in self defense. But truth be told, that's just because I defaulted to killing what the game presented as an enemy, like I'd done ten thousand times before. If I'd taken a second to think, I'm sure I could've knocked him out, or maybe even just ran away. I'm guessing that's something the game accounts for?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hah, bit disappointing given how often the game tries (and sometimes succeeds) channeling the Witcher.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So how does the game handle you trying to run away?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Well she has a magic stabby thingy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

And at a certain point (past a certain threshold of skill points) you realize the levels in this game are a very thinly veiled treadmill. Numbers grow but little about the experience changes.

I realize this is a common criticism of loot based RPGs, but it's much more apparent here than usual. Probably because there's little depth to the gear, and much of the time you're just upgrading your favorites.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don't want to do overly exploity stuff, but what's the quickest way of making money?

I don't quite understand ship piracy. Sometimes I seem to get a boatload of resources and money after taking down a ship, sometimes I don't. ( I'm not talking about the difference between cleaving and boarding).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hephaistos is a bit of a money sink. I’m level 62 btw.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Easiest and most fun non-questing method to make a bunch of money really quick is to scan the map for conquest battles and fight for the attacking side. You always get two purples, a merc and a lot of drachmae. You can even find some cultists this way!

If only there were more cultists :(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I hadn't realized the premium armor sets came with exclusive abilities. That kinda sucks.

I hadn’t bought any pieces in orichalcum shop cause I assumed all gear with effects was obtainable in game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ending was maybe a little anticlimactic (in part because of the game's structure dividing the different threads into stand alone vignettes), but the homecoming at the end was sweet. Even Stentor was invited.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I could've done without to the round trip setup to the Atlantis dlc. Especially with the PS4's long load times, it's just burning time to get to the fun stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Atlantis blows First Blade out of the water (pardon the pun), doesn't it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elysium isn't the only land mass in the dlc, right?

And yeah the elevation is more annoying than interesting. I think in general the game coulda done with a mid game traversal upgrade, like a glider or even even something supernatural since they've mostly done away with the pretense of realism.

E: do you get cool gear cosmetics in First Blade, that's honestly be my main motivation for finishing it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Game, I really don’t care about Layla.

E: better to boost health or armor masteries for a bit more survivability?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 28, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Heard they fixed some aspects.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

IDK if you can find all the starting skins, but there are definitely lots of horses in the game with skins that for whatever reason you cannot buy. An odd choice for a game with more than one wacky cosmetic.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

on a pro i had pretty bad load times, occasional hiccups when loading terrain, and a lot of fan noise. otherwise, performance was fairly smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don’t know the math behind leveling you and your enemies, but the scaling can make it feel like you're stuck on treadmill never really progressing in relative power. Though that depends a bit on your build. Some of the assassin skills are ridiculous.