Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RatHat posted:

Just found out this game comes out on the same day as Mario Odyssey and Wolfenstein 2. That might be a problem.

yea I'm actually pretty into this game from the looks of it but fuckin lol if I'm gonna delay my nazi stomping and mario soul stealing. I'll get it on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man everything about this game is extremely my poo poo. Moving away from quicktime prompts in combat, ancient Egypt, the actual origins of the assassins finally(god I hope) being explained, shooting hippos in the face with a bow...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea AC has always been a favorite of mine even at its lamer points but I am extremely into Origins. I mean, they kinda already had me at 'ancient egyptian wandering sheriff story' being a cool enough idea as is, but adding in 'oh and basically everything you found kinda lame about the old games is gone, also you get a cool hawk buddy' was great too.

Also I hope they have the same guys who did Syndicate's DLC handling this game's, that was some good poo poo, if we get some stuff like that in this it'd totally make the season pass worth it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
One thing I am curious about. The team who did Black Flag did this, there are boats, Egypt does have a naval history...is boat fighting in the game in some form? I know we can jack fishing boats and all but is there any level of ship to ship combat beyond 'pilot your boat to their bigger boat, jump off, cut throats'?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea not a TON of ways to do 'big epic naval battles' in this context, but nice to here there'll be a little something deeper than river boating up to a guy's pleasure barge to shank him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea people have tried to be good on it but it's straight impossible to talk 'Egyptian history' in a detailed way without defining the period and it feels like most things don't even want to acknowledge there WERE periods beyond 'pyramid funtimes' and 'rome'.

Since this is about Ptolemaic dynasty dick waving coming to an end with Cleo's rise, that means we're at 51-50 BC depending how long after Papa Ptolemy's death and how deep in the power struggle we're starting at. Either way this is the end of what we consider 'Egyptian history', the next bit of it is 'Egypt is run by Romans now, poo poo'.

This is kinda a huge part of history. This is the death of the last bits of old egypt. Rome takes it over fully in 30 BC. 'Amr ibn al-'As conquers Egypt to make it Muslim in 642 AD. Between those events it's a major player, and has a rich and interesting history, but it's never 'ancient Egypt' as we view it again.

I can't think of any good things on that time period, sadly. It's a period that doesn't get much love because we tend to look at Egypt as 'it was all mummies and cats until Rome took it over then it was just Brown Rome'. Like already said the pyramids were built almost two thousand years before Cleopatra, one of our main contacts in the game, was even born. We typically use Middle Kingdom as our baseline for Egypt. It was one of the golden ages of the culture and it's where a ton of its iconic creations happened.

That ended in 1782 BC, going by my year guess 1732 years happened between the 'iconic' ancient egypt and the game. I really hope this is a time when Ubisoft backs up their big 'we're a big happy rainbow who loves everyone and takes history VERY seriously' thing and gives us a look at a period of egypt that gets ignored aside from Cleopatra herself. I'm super eager for that educational mode to drop and I'm optimistic about things considering the big theme seems to be 'you're the last of your order, your empire is dying, you're fighting to preserve its honor and glory but probably will wind up being ground to dust with everything else'. That's a good rear end theme for this period of Egypt, that could produce some genuinely very good stories.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've been replaying Unity since it's the only only AC I've never finished. This is fun as poo poo. Shame it had such a hosed up launch I guess. Is the DLC worth getting?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it was already kinda hosed by the time she got into power. the Ptolemies were basically the targaryens from game of thrones. they were incestuous as gently caress(as alot of royalty was back then) so you would have siblings and parents and offspring murdering each other constantly. daddy ptomley was kinda of a gently caress up and spent alot of time legit lobbying in rome and roman senators would use him as purse. its interesting stuff. as for the other point. most of it is in 48/49 bc but it shows the real egypt not the whitewashed hollywood poo poo. its mix of hellenistic and egytian mixed with other cultures because alexandria was a massive cultural and trading hub. you dont have to worry about them loving up with culture poo poo.

Oh god yea there's countless routes to go down if you wanna talk about when 'true' Egypt died. There'd scholars that'll say everything from the end of the middle kingdom to the Muslim conquest were the 'real' end of Egypt. Just mainly focusing on when it went from 'cool hair and cats and polytheism' to 'basically Rome's African friend'. Still, great to hear it's will 'hub of the world' Egypt. I'm so excited for this AC to use its platform to actually educate people, please don't gently caress it up Ubi, this is such a cool period in the global stage it'd be such a bummer if you squandered it on "CHECK THIS COOL MUMMY OUT DUDES"

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 2, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'm only on sequence 3 so I'm not sure how much it glosses over but so far it's fun. If it totally ignores the Reign of Terror I'm gonna be super annoyed, though. I'm a big French history nerd and that'd be, like, the Assassin/Templars' playground...

Still as a game it's solid, and the whole 'huge crows replace the hay bales' thing really does fit the time nicely. Solid game and good to get my thirst quenched until Shadow of War can properly satiate my AC hunger before Origins.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Deakul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyOHat3p_W4

Well, that was goofier than I expected from Ubisoft for AssCreed.

Got some possible spoilers in the video too.
Particularly what the gently caress at that ANUBIS LOOKING BOSS FIGHT?!!??!... probably those desert hallucinations they mentioned.

this was shockingly actually funny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
While we wait (god this is a long feeling wait), our burning questions are answered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvnXUhnMm2M

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Deakul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt_EifzBhiI

Pre-launch(lol, it's still a little over a week away) stream with new gameplay and more indepth looks at various systems.

at this point it's just mean to do these things with 10 days to go :colbert:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Deakul posted:

I haven't seen enough story stuff to judge on the character front but I think Bayek will be pretty interesting just because when starting he's already in his 30s and is a seasoned warrior.

Yea I really like what we've seen about Bayek. A grizzled vet who's maybe been hosed out of his once honorable position is kinda the perfect focus for an AC origin story, that dude is exactly the kinda guy who'd start an Assassin movement.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jacob will always be My Sweet Garbage Boy but I'm glad they're going a new way because they're not gonna top Frye Sibling Nonsense anyway might as well just make a cool ex-ancient-cop looking to defend the people and all

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i liked both the frye siblings but i was always annoyed about how dumb jacob was. i get that was his personality but idk.

Yea despite being 100% in love with that trash boy I also get how he'd annoy people. His sister explicitly explained the plot multiple times to him and even at endgame he was still all 'SO WE'RE GONNA MAKE THE ROOKS THE RIOGHT BIGGEST GANG IN LONDON YEA'.

Oh Jacob, my sweet simple husbando. It is probably best we're having an AC protag that actually...knows why he's doing all this magic crime.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

KramFoot posted:

So I didn't see this posted in the thread but regarding the Modern Day story this time, you're playing as an abstergo researcher. Third-person like the old games, you can hop in and out of the animus. The woman you're playing as is called Layla Hassan, she is researching Bayek to impress the higher-ups.
Phone-posting so can't copy and paste links but just head over to the AC reddit and look for the MD spoiler thread, there's a lot of pics taken from a stream done yesterday.

Well as much as my ideal is zero MD at all at least they're doing something new. Plus going from the leaked images at least she looks more 'cool Lara Croft-ish explorer' than 'boring nerd turned MASTER ASSASSIN for no reason'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Unlucky7 posted:

What does the current Modern Day plot of AC involve? As dumb and bad as the Desmond stuff was at least it felt like it was building to something, before Ubisoft blinked and realized they wanted more sequels.

the current era of modern day AC is a much looser thing involving a more focused (and less frequent) experience.

If you're asking for spoilers for what we know about this game's then the modern day protag is some cool seeming explorer/archaeologist lady who works for Abstergo and is trying to impress her higher ups with what she's doing in Egypt, it's a brand new story it seems.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Looks like a lot of high reviews. The main sticking points seem to be: A) the shakeups don't really change it from still feeling like the rest of the games, so if you're sick of AC this probably won't be a game changer, and B) the story seems extra stupid/bonkers this year.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Harrow posted:

Yes, but is it an entertaining kind of stupid/bonkers? Syndicate’s brand of stupid mostly bored me, but I can go in for a dose of entertaining nonsense every now and again.

from purely how it sounds Bayek seems like a pretty cool guy but his enemies never seem to evolve from "MUAHAHA I AM THE CACKLING BAD GUY" and his surrounding characters are just kinda paint by numbers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea to be clear most of the reviews are stll in the mid/high 80's, it's a good game and a solid refinement, just left a lot of people going 'I wish they actually delivered on the whole 'THIS IS A WHOLE NEW WORLD FOR AC' better because this is neat'. I'm still hype, sure I'm gonna enjoy it but I'm an AC fanboy so 'it's more AC' is a plus for me.

We're pretty much at the point where these AC/AC-like games are starting to grow stale, Shadow of War also had people saying 'yeeeeea this is good but...it's just kinda another open world stealthy game where you climb towers and sneak murder people and all....' The genre itself is starting to show its age.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Walrus Pete posted:

The most important question about AC:O is: does it have bullshit mandatory tailing missions through wide-open spaces full of hostile guards? 'Cause one of those made me ragequit AC4, which I was up until then really enjoying.

If it's free of that kind of bullshit I'm pretty much guaranteed to get it eventually, because "an open-world action game set in ancient Egypt" is some kind of magic trigger phrase in my brain, apparently.

Ubi has been gradually understanding how absolutely terrible those missions are more and more. I think Syndicate had just a couple and they were much more forgiving than 'stay on this guy's rear end as he moves through a huge room full of guards...no not that close, game over idiot'. I'd be shocked if Origins had anything worse than that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Harrow posted:

How was Unity? It's the only AC game I've skipped entirely up to now because I never got around to buying it on sale after the bug thing was over with.

Unity is ok. It's super bland, I can't remember ANYONE beyond a one sentence description like 'cocky young assassin' or 'conflicted templar lady' but considering I can even remember guys from AC1 better than that it's a fairly damning statement of how bland it is.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cheesetriangles posted:

Do you get to kill Pompey and Caeser in this game? Spoil tag it for me please. I made a twitter bet over this at E3.

hey I also have a similar bet so please someone spoiler tag the big names you wind up personally murdering.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sinteres posted:

You can only get the in game maps through microtransactions now? wtf

you no longer find everything instantly when you sync, instead your eagle scouts for you. The maps just put literally everything that's a side event and all on your map. You still sync to get fast travel/map info/etc.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I wanna knife Pompey's stupid round head,

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea my 'we're for sure gonna kill them' list is currently

Ptolemy XIII and XV (like you said, one 'drowned in the nile' and the other was executed, both prime AC targets for 'ACTUALLY here's how it happened' stuff)

Pompey (civil war, already famously assassinated, perfect for one of the big act finale deaths. Plus his actual historical death was pretty bad rear end with his killer alleged to say a pretty sweet rear end line before doing it, could super easily just make it Bayek under his orders instead. I'm imagining this will be presented as a bad thing, though, since we seem to be on Cleo and Cesar's side here. Bayek could easily get manipulated to do it.)

Arsinoe IV (the other big player in the Ptolemy side of the war, dude was beat and humiliated before Cesar and all that, would add to that already historical stuff to toss in 'and got merc'd by one of the people he hosed over' on top)

Pothinus (This guy is literally the reason the civil war happened, he was the dude telling Ptolemy 'hey man, gently caress your sisterwife' and served as Ptolemy's regant. This is 100% gonna be the guy pulling the strings and to be honest I'm still not sure if it'll be 'this guy is the final boss' or 'this piece of poo poo slinks away to start the Masons' since his own death in history is kinda shady. Dude is a natural Big Bad just based on history)

I have a few possible kills too, depending how deep our dude gets in Roman/Egyptian politics.

Achillas and Lucius Septimius are the two big ones that stand out. IF the story goes with us killing Pompey and being tricked into helping Pothinus like I expect, these guys were the actual ones who did the deed in history. I could easily see the last act being something surrounding killing these two and then moving up to Pothinus himself if the endgame is around the siege of Alexandria, which WOULD make a pretty great set-piece to end the game with.

The other way things could go is we somehow wind up against Cleo. It wouldn't exactly be hard, she is Ptolemaic herself, I could easily see the story changing from 'we gotta get the rightful queen to the throne' to 'wait you're just another loving outsider trying to gently caress us over what are we doing here' with her being the 'real' enemy all along, fighting Mark Anthony would be pretty badass and then we could have a neat cutscene of releasing a snake into her room or something.

Killing Ptolemy XIV could be interesting if we go down the 'cleo is the real monster' route but yea even a 'non-violent' way like poisoning would be kinda pushing the AC semi-sanitized 'assassins are the good guys even if they do bad things' history by having the player kill a teenager. It COULD make an interesting parallel to some stuff I've seen about the story, though, not likely but could be interesting.

There's a lot of dudes to kill in this time of Egypt, but it depends how deep in the history we go.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 26, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Woops, completely spaced that yea. Well gotta be an equal opportunity Assassin, every good AC game needs at least a couple scheming ladies to mix it up with the guys.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is a very cool game. I dig this Assassin, the world feels super rich and alive, I only just got to Alexandria and did some stuff here and it already feels like I've seen a bunch.

Also (early game spoilers, Alexandria stuff), Finding your wife only for her to be all 'yea man I took out half your enemy list already. gently caress those guys right?' was really, really, fun. I'm really tired of the 'moral high ground spouse' cliche, seeing that your wife is just as down to murder those masked assholes in fun and creative ways was very nice.

I like that to hijack someone's boat you're just all 'hey, take a break a sec, I got this'. Pity half my dockings are me just slamming the boat full speed into the shore...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grem posted:

Bayak is the stupidest assassin yet, and that's saying a lot.

I love that he's just kinda a dumb older dude stumbling through this whole 'life of revenge' thing. Like he's genuinely upset for good reason, juuuust enough of a good guy to recognize the injustice in the world, but also basically an old cop who's not 100% on this whole 'do literally anything more complex than kick the door in and sword a guy'. It's extremely my jam.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Orv posted:

Yeah it's interesting. All of the assassins have had some kind of major quirk or character pivot point. Ezio was a charming rogue, Connor was a whiny child incapable of learning, Edward was an rear end in a top hat, Arno was impossibly boring, Shay was gullible, Evie was clever and Jacob was a lovable idiot. Bayek is just kind of a dude. He's got motivations but he's just generally some fuckin' guy going around Egypt trying to fix a few things and maybe get justice. It's cool.

yea it feels like Bayek's 'thing' is just 'yea I had a normal life until every injustice in my world crashed down on me at once' which is pretty nice. We've had gang bosses and wealthy rogues and all but it's kinda nice to have a dude who has backstory moments like 'dude remember that chariot race we saw together, that was cool' and 'I wish I could hang out with my son again'. He's not my favorite guy yet but I like him.

Also his intro was easily the best. Way better 'I'm loving batman don't try to scare me' moment than any other Assassins got

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
forts are incredibly satisfying to sneak around picking guards off and laying traps for leaders and all. Then you reach a point where you've thinned their forces out enough for you to say 'gently caress it, party time' and just leap into the middle of a group and you just slaughter the remaining guys.

Also I just got to Giza, instantly ignored my mission, climbed the pyramid, slid down, looted it. Good game, guys, good fuckin game.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've been focusing on the Sage tree for talents and boy does it unlock the fun bullshit. Throwing firebombs into a chariot and then using corpse poison to gently caress with the guys who come at me, and THEN using berzerker drugs on the few guards looking for me who are left is just some good ol funtimes.

Oh and smoke bombs, holy poo poo guys get smoke bombs and the damage upgrade.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you were super explicitly not working directly with Abstergo in those games, yea.

I like the modern stuff, I'm only up just past the Scarab stuff but there's only been two and they lasted like five minutes, but I kinda like this Nerdy Lara Croft protag. Anyone who busts into a mummy's tomb just for brownie points is pretty solid by my book.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Palpek posted:

I cleaned up a bandit camp, started looting some chest when my horse got spooked somehow, ran past me full speed breaking vases with oil and set himself and me on fire killing both. I get copying things from TW3 wholesale but I'm not sure if including Roach's intelligence was a wise decision.

your horse thought you cleared the camp like a wimp, and wanted to show you how a real badass does it.

Short lived, but badass.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Carlosologist posted:

Scarab: the thing Bayek says to the mother about not letting the cycle of vengeance perpetuate was impactful, as well as his apology to Khemu as he walks away was a really good scene

Yea

As cliche as the 'I JUST WANTED TO BUILD SOMETHING GREAT (so I murdered tons of people, just buckets of people)' motivation was the big finale of Bayek basically realizing he's made just a different Bayek was a pretty strong one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

And I actually enjoy getting spotted and going all Achilles on everybody in the base, which I’m relieved to find is a valid approach, at least so far.

yea I'm a huge fan of the formula for stealth being refined down to 'sneaking and planning is still the best, especially if there's strong guys around, but if you can control how much you're fighting you can take on small groups well'. In big areas it leads to a lot of fun stuff as you peel away chunks of guards while sneaking to the boss and all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spanish Manlove posted:

So far I have to say Bayek's growing on me and is easily the second best protag in the series, just behind Ezio. This particular scene where he mocked another dude for chastising him was particularly great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlj4d27QpAw&t=64s

Worked so much better with the beard though.

the fact that Bayek is just an old guy who's 100% done with everything is great. He's probably right behind Ezio for me too, dude's just the right balance of 'if I'm damned I'm damned, I know my quest is just' and 'no shut up I literally don't care about your whining at all' to not let either get too heavy handed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I'm finally trying to finish up the game, just beat Crocodile and it seems I'm entering the climax with this next chunk. I assume this upcoming bit after the (seemingly) last modern day section is the big finale or do I still have a fair chunk to go?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Deakul posted:

You're basically halfway through the main campaign, you've got a decent amount left.

huh, impressive, I thought what they were setting up would be the last bit of things, nice to know I'll get plenty of time with what's coming though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Welp my friend got me to pick this up by pitching this as 'boats are back as a major feature, also you can be a cool lady spartan kicking people in the face to death, plus you called Origins the best AC game and it's still fundamentally that'.

How supernatural does it get? The ads kinda implied poo poo like medusa and all are factors in the game but are they just Origins style 'oh gee the animus is goin nuts!!!!' one shot fun bits, or are they finally going full on 'yea fantasy poo poo happens in our world of magic aliens and poo poo'?