Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm still not sure how I feel about random loot in an AC game, but the combat looks really fun, it's pretty, and Egypt is cool, so I'm probably in.

Have they shown much stealth gameplay yet? I'm wondering if they've improved it as much as they've apparently improved combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I pretty badly want this to be good because I want a cool game where I run around a region of Ptolemaic era Egypt doing Egypt things.

I do wish the series had taken a different direction--when I played Syndicate, I didn't come away wanting more leveling and crafting and loot. I came away wanting more complex stealth systems and cooler ways to be a sneaky assassin who doesn't just fight hordes of enemies in a frontal assault. But as much as I wish the series had gone in the literal opposite direction that it did, this still looks really fun, so I'm not that upset.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deakul posted:

Not gonna lie, I always wished that the series focused more on stealth in the past too.
As it is, it feels like it was never a huge part of the game... it was just there as a very optional way to go about things, backed up by how haphazardly they always implemented stealth features.(conveniently placed bushes, closets, and awkwardly implemented social stealth that always had a 70% chance of breaking and making you get detected anyways)

It definitely should have had a bigger focus just because you naturally associate the word ASSASSIN with "sneaky person that's good at killing" and yet more often than not, you end up inciting small wars with every drat encounter.

Yeah, exactly. And while AC Origins clearly does support playing stealthily, it doesn't look like there's anything new for that playstyle except that now it's even more tied into the leveling and equipment system than it was before. But, eh, it's a full-on action-RPG now so that should be expected.

And really, I'm the guy who thinks the Uncharted series would be better if it didn't have as much shooting and you had to use more stealth and environmental tricks/fuckery to beat enemies, so what do I know? And Uncharted 4 actually scratches that itch pretty well anyway--in my latest playthrough of that I had a great time swinging around, being evasive, and punching dudes instead of shooting them whenever I could, which felt a lot more like what a character like Nathan Drake would do.

Deakul posted:

At least the actual fighting will hopefully be better this time around.

Hell yes. The fighting does look fun this time. I'm not going to miss the era of "press the counterattack button when it says to press the counterattack button."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like the modern day stuff a lot more now that it isn't about Desmond and has this new trend of being kind of tongue-in-cheek.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yes, but is it an entertaining kind of stupid/bonkers? Syndicate’s brand of stupid mostly bored me, but I can go in for a dose of entertaining nonsense every now and again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I found it more boring to be honest but YMMV. Bayek is an okay character but I found the cast really dull.

Overall the criticism above was my main one. AC:O waves its hands at serious changes but at the end of the day it's still AC and the new combat system doesn't change it enough, while in the end being honestly less fun than Syndicate's Arkham Lite system. It feels sort of like AC1 where if they keep the changes AC:O2 will be a much better game buuuut it depends on if they do.

Man, Syndicate's combat was pretty uninspiring, so if AC:O's is somehow even less fun that's pretty damning for me.

I'll still probably pick this up eventually, because I do fall into that "generally like AssCreed" camp. Though I'm also still a little baffled about the heavy emphasis on RPG leveling and loot. I watched a preview video a couple of days ago where one of the devs talked about how they were committed to the RPG systems, so they made sure those systems really mattered no matter what style of play you went for. I keep trying to think of an action/open-world game that I thought was improved by XP/leveling systems and I still can't think of one. Hell, I even think Witcher 3 would've been better off focusing on alchemy, crafting, and mutagens and ditching XP and levels entirely, and that's a series that started as an RPG.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

My big problem with AC:O's combat is that it apes Dark Souls in the most superficial manner. It lacks genuine weight and impact. It has more than the old style but at the end of the day it doesn't have the design sense to really sell that style of combat. It's more dangerous and threatening than AC combat has been ever which is a good thing but I never actually wanted to fight the way that I did in Dark Souls or even in Syndicate. The loot system doesn't help either since it makes skill feel a lot less important than numbers. It doesn't hit the mark between the skillful well-designed play of Souls or the simple button-mashing satisfaction of the older AC games. The biggest advantage I think it has is that it means I genuinely considered stealth instead of wondering why Eziobatman doens't just murder everyone with his invincible combat skills.

Well, that is a bright side, I guess. The only reason to use stealth in a lot of the previous AC games was just to get perfect sync objectives. Now it's because you might actually get owned if you try to take a direct combat approach.

It sounds like it might have a similar problem with that surface-level "we're Dark Souls now" thing that Lords of the Fallen did, but with the advantage that the shallow copy of Dark Souls combat isn't the entire focus of the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How was Unity? It's the only AC game I've skipped entirely up to now because I never got around to buying it on sale after the bug thing was over with.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TescoBag posted:

This is potentially down to the DRM on this game. Apparently it makes calls constantly when moving causing even quite beefy CPU's to bottleneck.

Well that doesn't sound too promising.

I'm not sure when I'm going to pick this up but I was curious whether, with a GTX 970 and an i5, I should get the PC version at all, and it's kinda sounding like maybe not?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SpacePope posted:

Pretty much everything on ultra, except shadows on high, with 8gb of ram, an i5-3570k (not overclocked), and a GTX 970. The game runs at 60 fps when not in a city, where it then drops to 40-45. I capped the fps to 45 so I don't notice the drops, but it's easily playable uncapped too if you prefer getting 60 on less intensive scenes.

You have identical specs to mine, so that's hopeful for when I eventually get the game.

Can you hit 60 FPS in cities if you drop some more settings, without things getting super low? I might as well shoot for a solid 60 if it's possible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How do the main assassination targets work this time? Any cool assassination setups?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

I mean, it's no Hitman, but there are a lot of wacky things you can do in general. The first target didn't have anything too specifically cool around to take advantage of, but I didn't look very hard, I just wanted to move on to the next Egypt Cop Sidequest.

Oh yeah, I'm not expecting Hitman-level intricacy from an open-world game, but it's good to know there might be things to do other than "just sneak up behind him and stab him I guess."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm trying to hold out on buying this for a bit but against every drop of my better nature, screen shots of cool weapons are really triggering my loot itch.

In general I never wanted random Diablo loot in an Assassin's Creed game but god drat it a fun action-RPG with cool loot sounds real nice right now. So is the loot itself fun? Any cool unique effects, or is it mostly just about bigger and bigger numbers?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

It's mostly an adventure/exploration game, moreso than AC ever has been before. Like, the thread title is accurate, but TW3 and Horizon both have wayyyyyy more combat than this game.

Well, that's pretty appealing, too, actually. How are the tomb exploration parts?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Super strict level systems are kind of a pet peeve of mine but I've just started to assume they're going to be in every open world game now so I just kinda have to let that one roll off my back I guess.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

they even put them in the new need for speed that's coming out :psyduck:

What

Are there skill trees, too?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wow, all games really are RPGs now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Broke down and bought this yesterday. Just got to Alexandria and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, though neither controller layout really works for me. Both available layouts are a little confusing to me because they both have one thing that feels off and is hard to adjust to.

On the normal layout, it's just close enough to Dark Souls that hitting X to dodge instead of B is a muscle memory nightmare. With the alternate one, everything's generally okay, but holding RB to descend and needing to click the left stick to interact with things really messes with me. There wouldn't happen to be a button-by-button remapping option that I'm missing, would there?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Playing this has reminded me of the real reason I don't like strict level-based systems in open world games, and it isn't because it limits the player's ability to explore.

It's because it opens up the possibility of out-leveling things. It seems like if I keep doing as many side quests as I feel like doing--because it's fun to do Assassin's Creed things and I want to do more of them--I'm going to consistently out-level the main quests, and when my power is so closely tied to my level, it means things just get more and more effortless.

It's a tough problem to get around. Obviously you don't want the XP curve to account too much for side quests or you make them effectively mandatory, but level-scaling is rarely done in a satisfactory way, either.

I had this same problem in Syndicate, actually, in that eventually I just ran out of fun fights because I hit max level and could effortlessly mow everyone down.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I know I can do self-imposed challenges like that, but I don't really like when the answer to the game being too easy is "intentionally ignore tools that you have." I'll definitely keep it on Hard, though. I actually enjoy the combat more than I thought I would (though I still have a hard time getting used to using X/Square to dodge after so much Souls).

It's not too easy yet, BTW, I'm just consistently a level or two ahead of the main story and I'm intentionally skipping a lot of side quests so that gap doesn't widen.

I'm reminded of Witcher 3, actually, though so far the difficulty curve is actually smoother than that game. In Witcher 3, I remember combat on Blood and Broken Bones was super hard early on, and then by the time I was level 20 or so I could turn the game up to Death March and still have no troubles even against higher-level enemies because of how hilariously strong you can become. It's not even that I was super good at the game--your abilities just grow so quickly that eventually you can overpower everything even without the hilariously overpowered alchemy builds.

In AC: Origins it seems like it's just the level difference more than anything that'd make things easier. I still feel evenly-matched against equal-level enemies.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 8, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Did AC Rogue let you get different ships, or did you stick with one ship the whole time like in Black Flag?

I know Ubisoft has that multiplayer pirate game coming out, but I would've loved a single-player game like Black Flag that just laser-focused on the pirate stuff and let you get different ships, or even multiple ships that'd follow you around, maybe more detailed systems for boarding enemy ships and all that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fart City posted:

One ship. I liked Rogue, though. If they rereleased if on PS4, I'd probably pick it up again. My biggest complaint about Black Flag/Rogue is that the mechanics are so stellar and unique, it almost feels like it should have been a new franchise to begin with. Don't get me wrong: I liked Edward and his story as it relates to the AC mythos, but man, what I wouldn't have given for an alternate setting where you could encounter mermaids and sea monsters and poo poo like that.

Yeah, they could go all Pirates of the Caribbean with it and it'd be a blast. Just go all-in on crazy legends, sea monsters, ghost ships, all of that good stuff. The climbing system can stay, too, since it's not like there's any lack of things to climb on pirate ships and in pirate cities. Just ditch the assassination stuff, maybe add in more interesting combat like in Origins, it'd be a great time. Ubisoft going for a multiplayer-focused game instead seems like a huge missed opportunity.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

There are ways to solve the overleveling situation in this sort of game, but they tend to be resource intensive and divisive if they’re done. You create separate parallel models of difficult execution based design that is balanced against (or even restricted to) the level cap.

I dunno, to me the easiest solution is just not to have levels in the first place, or have levels give you new abilities but not necessarily always higher numbers. Let the player grow horizontally rather than vertically, basically.

Origins just goes all-in on levels to the point that I'm pretty sure your effectiveness versus enemies is modified directly by the difference between your levels, even before you take into account damage and health numbers. I know why they included that sort of strict level-based system: it's necessary to have a loot treadmill. If your level didn't at least give you access to gear with higher and higher numbers, you'd have much fewer reasons to regularly replace your gear, which sidelines the loot system. I'm just not sure the trade-off was worth it, because the side effects of the strict level system kind of suck on both ends: it sucks to explore areas that are too high-level and not even be able to stealth kill things, and it sucks to out-level areas where you have unfinished side quests, knowing that the quests won't have any challenge or provide any meaningful reward anymore.

Again, it's not like they didn't get anything in return--clearly the loot system was a feature they really wanted in Origins--but for me, I don't think it was worth it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

I mostly agree, but I also think the side quests in this one are interesting enough that completing them is often its own reward. Just found the one with the girl on the cliff, for example, and it was weird, charming and good.

Yeah, and I think that's part of my conflict. If I do the side quests when I'm at the right level for them, I over-level story missions and future side-quests. I still want to do them, but now I have to make the choice between the side-quests having decently-balanced combat/stealth or the main quests having that decent balance and it's kind of a bummer.

It's very good that the side quests are good enough that I actually care about doing them, though. I suppose if I had to choose, it's definitely better that I worry that I might do too many side quests and level up too much because I'm having fun doing side quests, rather than feeling like I need to grind boring side quests to level up enough for the main story. I'll take the current situation over that any time.

Edit: Though now that I think about it, if I remember correctly, The Witcher 3's XP balance did some interesting things by having main quests give way more XP than side quests. If you want to gain levels quickly, progressing the main story's the best way to do that; and at the same time, progressing the main story would generally do a good job keeping you at the appropriate level. And taking some time out to do side quests didn't really threaten to over-level you. TW3 has other balance problems (your skills and mutagens make you way too powerful by mid-game) but looking at how it divides up its XP rewards, it did that pretty well.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 8, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Senu is really, really fun and I hope they find a way to take that direction with "eagle vision" in future AC games. It's really satisfying to fly over a base doing airborne recon and marking guards and treasures, rather than just turning on magic assassin eyes to see through walls right away. It's functionally not all that different--I basically still get to see through walls--but it's more active and flying around is fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Palpek posted:

Just like Black Flag made a whole game out of AC3's little ship mode the next AC title should be a Senu flying simulator.

I would 100% buy the eagle game. Call it "Just Be a Cool loving Eagle and Do Eagle Things," that's all I need.

Deakul posted:

We'll also be getting this metal as gently caress set some time this month but you'll have to drop more real money on it or pray to the RNG gods that a heka chest drops it for you.

gently caress that set owns, god drat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Two questions:

1. I'm level 21 now and I've only taken down the first of the Snake targets (the Scarab) and I'm about to do the Hyena. I know the max level is 40. Is the level curve going to slow down dramatically, or am I farther in the main story than I thought?

2. Assuming the level curve doesn't slow to a crawl sometime soon, is there a lot of really high-level content out there that'll still be interesting at max level?

Ha, well, Ubisoft is way ahead of me.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 9, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deakul posted:

You're doing pretty ok, I was around that level for the Hyena.
I'm level 27 now and I'm just starting on the last target: the Crocodile... hell, your informant in the Faiyum gives you a bunch of side stuff that's for like level 37+ which was jarring to say the least!

It kind of sunk in how gigantic the game world is when I was playing last night. I remember reading that there are several areas the main quest doesn't take you to, too, which is surprising for an Assassin's Creed game. I'd assume those'll be high-level areas, too.

I hope there's something else as spectacular as the Great Pyramid because that's some super cool scenery to look at and I hope I have more to look forward to out there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's everyone's favorite weapon type?

I'm between heavy blades and swords (do regular and sickle swords have different move sets?). I do really well with heavy blades compared to other weapons, which probably shouldn't surprise me because I love polearms.

The one weapon type I can't really get a handle on is dual swords. I feel like I'm basically just tickling enemies with them and they only really seem effective against weak enemies, which doesn't seem like that useful of a niche. And then enemies who use dual swords gently caress me up horribly with their guard-break kick and that backwards leap slash, man gently caress those guys.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't think I understand why controls would need to be redesigned from scratch for, say, an Imperial China setting. Weapon animations sure, but I don't know if China would be an unusually huge task compared to something like Origins, with all its different weapon types.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like how trippy and hallucinogenic the post-assassination scenes are. It's cool how they go beyond the whole "hold the bad guy and say 'requiescat in pace' every time" thing and turn into something a lot more symbolic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, the upcoming pirate game seems like a huge missed opportunity. I probably shouldn’t have hoped for an actual single-player pirate open world game—Ubisoft does franchises and how many open world franchises do they really need to sustain all at once?—but basically just being a multiplayer ship combat game kills all my interest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a guaranteed source for a legendary spear? Fighting a couple of the Phylakes has made me really want something with a bit more reach. Golden Wolf is awesome, though.

Another thing: is there any way to avoid being parried by tough enemies? Both of the Phylakes I've killed so far were able to parry me and do huge damage on a counterattack and I never noticed a telegraph for it--it just seemed to come out of nowhere and eventually I just figured I'd only ever attack from behind, one hit at a time, after they've just finished a swing. That usually worked but it took a really long time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of the "hidden" cracks, is there a way to turn off the reminders that show up? Messages saying "Reminder: you can pass through some cracks in walls" or "Reminder: some rooms have hidden entrances" always show up when I pass by one of those, and while they're not exactly hard to find on their own, it's kind of annoying to be constantly pointed to them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm definitely not quite good enough at avoiding damage in combat to use a cursed weapon, at least not yet. I still have a hard time using X to dodge with an otherwise Dark Souls-like control scheme and also I can't tell if there are i-frames on the dodge and I'm just loving up, or if there aren't and I'm supposed to dodge away farther.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I think I'm roughly halfway through the main story and this is definitely a really good game. I'm seeing a ton of Witcher 3 influence, but one thing that keeps coming up for me is that it feels like they're straining against the need for the Assassin's Creed universe to stay slightly grounded.

In other words, it feels like they really wanted to make Ubisoft's version of Witcher 3 but because it's an Assassin's Creed game, they had to hold back. They still fit in some action-RPG boss fights--one of which requires hallucinogens to justify its existence--but for the most part, your enemies are all humans or normal animals.

I'd love to see them just throw any pretense of a grounded setting to the wind and just make a full-on open world fantasy RPG. Origins suggests to me they'd be really, really good at it if they didn't have to worry about it also being an Assassin's Creed game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's true, and they definitely stretch with some of the human enemies. I just mean, if they got to revisit a lot of these systems without the Assassin's Creed setting, they could have a lot more crazy enemies out in the open world. Weirder humanoids with weirder behaviors, dragons, griffons, all kinds of monsters. It'd be really cool.

It's not a complaint about the game, to be clear. It's just something I noticed. I guess what I'm saying is I want to see Ubisoft take this engine and these animations and make their own Dragon's Dogma.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

true, but as you said its assassins creed. Ubisoft is usually pretty "grounded" with there games, its just kinda their things. magic and poo poo is almost always hallucinogens or "magic" super technology. stuff is heigtned(7 foot tall big guards, being able to gently caress up 50 dudes and poo poo like that). i dont mind it personaly since i have other games that do the stuff

Oh right, I'm not saying this game should have those things, just that there's a lot of potential to take the same engine and systems and make a full fantasy open-world RPG and it'd be really cool. The heightened parts of Origins, as well as some of the moments when it really leans into being an action-RPG (like some of the flashier boss fights) show that potential, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bayek is my new favorite Assassin, I think. Sorry, Ezio. It seems like a lot of thought went into who he is and why he is who he is. While no Assassin's Creed game is a masterpiece of storytelling and character development, they did a good enough job portraying Bayek's grief that I get a little sad every time he goes out of his way to be nice to kids, or when he talks a woman down from committing suicide in what has so far been the most surprising quest. He really is the kindest, most mature revenge-obsessed mass murderer around and that contradiction actually sorta works here.

Unrelated: does the cost of upgrading legendaries to match your level ever go up? I've noticed that upgrading the Golden Wolf from 20 to 25 was 4000 coins, and now upgrading it from 25 to 28 would still be 4000, so clearly the level difference isn't what determines the cost. I'm trying to decide if I should go hunt down more papyrus treasures or save them for when I'm higher level so I get higher level loot from them.

GhostDog posted:

Ahh, teleporting boss fight, my favorite kind of boss fight. Really fun and not annoying garbage at all.

Which boss fight are you talking about? If it's in a sandstorm, the boss doesn't actually teleport and can be chased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Why am I wasting my time then
Like doing the exploration/collecting poo poo in 4 netted me the neat templar armor and the steampunk swords why wouldn’t doing the tombs give me something I’ve seen pictures of a glowy outfit
Also I only ever found one bong rip Isu recording (thank god) I thought they were present in all the tombs

There are like five of those Isu recordings and I'm pretty sure you need them for the glowy outfit so you do have to do at least some of the tombs.

Also each tomb gives you an ability point so you still get something.