Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Mark me down as "cautious, hoping for good things." Not having a free run button is something that sounds like a bad idea.

Trailer has me interested though- this might be the first time since the Revelations trailer that the protagonist has lost a fight, and I've definitely never seen one struggle before to beat so few guys (especially compared to Connor's single-handed assault on Bunker Hill and Arno casually strolling into an execution). If it carries into difficulty, it'll be a good way to encourage stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Oh how was Rogue? The narrative hook is really interesting to me.

It's pretty good and I'd recommend it, but the grapevine is suggesting that a remastering for the XBone and PS4 is happening soon so you might want to hold off.

Anyway, as an AC fan who always likes to collect the past costumes, how's that handled here? Is it like AC4 where you just had to connect to UPlay and the game would go "OK, you unlock the past ancestor costumes now" or Syndicate's style of making them UPlay unlocks? I know that at least Aguilar's costume is locked behind a Twitch Prime membership, so as one of the six people that liked the movie that's gonna suck unless Twitch Prime has a trial month.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I like to imagine that someone at Ubisoft was like "actually poo poo, Haytham is the better lead, quickly, rewrite the book so it's Haytham's diary instead of Connor's story!" and that's how we got Forsaken (which is actually a good book).

Also, started Origins today. Just mucking around Siwa and doing quests, but I already really like Bayek. His VA deserves props for making him work so well; I loved the first assassination scene where he's snarling like a berserk animal, but he's also so personable. So far, I quite like it.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s worth playing if you’ve finished all the other games and you still want more AC, but it’s easily my least favorite in the series, and I’m one of the loons who likes 3.

It’s the first one where they really try to get away from the “you can instantly kill every enemy in the game with the right counter/chain kill” mechanic and make you start worrying about levels and gear, and imo they just didn’t do it satisfyingly at all. Maybe it’s not as bad as I remember, and now that I’m used to similar mechanics in origins and syndicate I’d like it more, but at the time I just didn’t enjoy it at all.

Also, Paris full of English people? Sacre bleu!

No joke, my opinion on Unity rose exponentially just by changing the language to French. I cannot stress how much the British accents were a turn off for me three years ago.

But even still, I rank Unity above Syndicate (in that they're the two weakest mainline console games in the series). Paris is funner to explore, if clunky and filled with chests, and it looks far better. I don't know if it was deliberate or an accident, but I swear Syndicate got downgraded from Unity. Otherwise, Unity's characters were a slight bit better than Syndicate's side characters.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alchenar posted:

The problem that AC creates as a series though is that you can't have every single protagonist go through the same arc starting with 'Conspiracy between Templars and Assassins? That's nonsense' because then the first third of every game will be identical in tone.

You do it the first couple of times, then it's just an established thing that the audience is familiar with so the characters just have to accept the exposition without comment and move swiftly on to the unique story you want to tell. I think it's a credit to the Ubisoft writers that by and large each game does have a recognisably distinct main cast.

I think one of the reasons I liked Rogue so much was specifically because it doesn't stop at the beginning to tell the player the backstory. You just open with Shay "hunting" Liam and the game just assumes "You're playing Assassin's Creed, you know the basics, we're not gonna drag this out for too long, have a boat."

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Bayek becoming a Medjay is covered in the novel that came out with the game- Desert Oath IIRC. It's a prequel that covers his training.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I know it wouldn't work well given how the game is much more open ended than previous games, but a mission replay would be nice.

If only so I could do every assassination in the towel outfit.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Carlosologist posted:

oh poo poo, the Rogue remaster drops this week. I might have to get it so I can play it over the summer

From all accounts it's not a great remake. The Ezio Collection did benefit from the uplift it got but Rogue looks nearly exactly the same as it did in 2014. The only new thing they added was new legacy outfits for the other protagonists (Altair, Ezio, Connor, Edward, Arno, Jacob, Aguilar and Bayek) that you can get in UPlay, but some of them (Aguilar especially) looks horrendous in the Rogue engine. Wait for it to drop in price before you buy it.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

GlenMR posted:

Is there an Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered thread? Can't see one. I just wrapped up my time with last night.

I bought the original about a week before my PS3 disk drive died, so I never really got too far into it, and I was enjoying Unity anyway. Glad to have had the opportunity to get back into it, but it's abundantly clear how dramatically Origins has raised the standards for the series.

Everything feels so stiff. I used to roll my eyes when people complained about missing what seemed like totally straightforward jumps, but no more. I still collected all the Animus fragments and chests, but it was often harder work than it had any right to be.

The game still looks pretty good. There's some moments sailing around the North Atlantic between the icebergs that are just stunning. And the sailing is still fun. Fuuuuuck the last Legendary Ship battle though. It's at least 5 tones harder than anything else the game throws at you.

I think it's worth playing. At the very least, it's a Black Flag re-skin with a slightly lesser story but NO tailing missions. It's made me appreciate Origins all the more though.

General rule of thumb is that the thread on the most recent game doubles as the general AC thread. I remember that the Syndicate thread was used to talk about the movie and Origins before that got its own thread.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So I just picked this up and I have a question: is this supposed to start out in a really badly scripted mise en scene without any context whatsoever? Bayek is fighting some guy I don't know, and then there's a flash...back? Then it flashes forward to the present with him returning to Siwa after doing....something? I assume this will all make sense but after starting a new game in Horizon Zero Dawn that eases you into what's up I gotta say it's a really bad introduction to the world and its characters.

Bayek giving Senu a smooch was so cute though. :D

To avoid spoiling anything, yes, the game does a lot of jumps. After your first assassination you'll get a flashback that covers most of the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

orcane posted:

I think the first region around Siwa actually does the "Animus border" thing, at least you can't leave it. Once the story teleports you across the map you can go anywhere, except yeah - enemies a handful of levels above like to just one-shot you.

Yeah, you're locked into Siwa until you finish up the quests in that area. After Bayek gets warped forward a little bit you're completely free.