Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Alchenar posted:

this is half true - my real problem is games designed not to be finished because you'll play for 60 hours then get bored and go away because even though I got 60 hours out of it -
1) the pacing is poo poo and ubi shouldn't be let off the hook for just not even trying
2) the ending is poo poo and ubi shouldn't be let off the hook for just not even trying
3) the memory of the experience of the game is tainted by how dull it feels by the time you quit

Not that I can blame ubi too hard for doing this because most people have been not finishing games forever so why would you make your game with a path to an ending?

Just decide for yourself when you're finished. People don't even finish games that have clear-cut endings, and Ubisoft caters to completionists anyway to allow them to keep on spearing after the plotlines are done.

1) Didn't notice this, though I did all sorts of things and forgot about the three questlines for hours and hours.
2) This is interesting - I'm always very aware that I'm playing a game, which means that I expect the game to be good, and the story is simply something that gives context to my murderous activities, and while the story can be interesting and such, it really doesn't matter, in the end. If I want a decent story, I certainly won't look for one in a game (yet). But then I watch a lot of poo poo movies, so what do I know.
3) This is true - but does it really matter? You had your 60 hours, and nothing forces you to go back to this game...

Waiting for the patch to fix the silly Growing Up stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Alchenar posted:

Play any of the Batman Arkham games and you will see what good pacing looks like - new mechanics and enemies and puzzles are drip fed to you at a regular pace so that you get something, get to play about with it for a while, and then just as you are settled the game introduces something new for you to think about. When the game has finally run out of new things to show you then Rocksteady wrap it up and take you to the conclusion (with some post game for you to knock about a bit if you want). That's what I mean by pacing.

In contrast by about 5 hours in you've fundamentally seen everything Odyssey has to offer. There will be no new enemy types, no new location types, no new abilities.

e: and yeah, I'm 65 hours in and yes I'm enjoying it and nobody is holding a gun to my head to play, but there are levels of enjoyment and I'm just writing about the stuff that I think holds the game back and could have been done better.

e2: oh right, there are a few bosses you'll find much later than 5 hours into Odyssey that are unique new content. But there's no need for them to be stuck behind 40 hours of filler.

Right! True, Odyssey plays all of its cards pretty early (well, some abilities have to wait for the spear upgrades but anyway), which might be because of engine limitations. To be brutal, it's an Origins reskin with a bit more detailed inventory and ability management. Odyssey did have enough variety in its combat encounters to keep me from feeling bored, which may tell me things about myself. Also playing it a few hours at a time here and there probably helped.

And I know what you mean, it is annoying when there's a feeling of wasted potential. I do hope that the next iteration has something more in addition to all that glorious stabbing (and higher-level enemies should no longer be immune to physics).

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah, having Kassandra yelling about the Cult trying to manipulate Greece into a terrible unending war while I’m conquering for one side then immediately turning around and flipping it back to the other (admittedly partly because my completionist self couldn’t bear not clearing all those question mark areas completely and doing a ton of war damage in the process) felt just a bit hypocritical. If there wasn’t the whole “messing with her and her family” thing it would have been more appropriate for Kassandra to thank the Cult for drumming up business.

The game mechanics aren't always very smoothly integrated into the plot, yeah.

What I like is that after killing each and every cultist, I found a side quest where a few lines were said how the Cult is super-nasty and hell-bent on destroying the Greek world etc. But it's a big game, and these things are bound to happen.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Origins and Odyssey had different directors, for one.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

ilitarist posted:

If you think Valhalla is mediocre you should try Mirage.

It's much more competently made game. I struggle to say anything about it. The only thing I can think of is that Baghdad shows exactly why you can't make a game with a traditional AC parkour nowadays: even simplified Mirage parkour required transforming a beautiful city into a videogame level. Every wall has an inclined cart, photorealistic buildings have comically exaggerated bricks sticking out of them so that you know you can climb there, every roof is connected to neighboring roofs by mysterious ropes and so on. RPG games made parkour irrelevant but at least the cities looked like cities.

Yeah, but it is a videogame, so sort of makes sense. Helps the player to read the environment, since the point is (I think) to be super ninja assassin and not a dumbfounded headscratcher trying to figure out if a wall is climbable or not.

I quite like that I don't have to waste hours learning something as useless as spotting suitable handholds to climb around a videogame level.

Edit: I'm sure it could've been done more elegantly, but I think Ubi is more focused on streamlining production...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Possibly the sealed forts were dumped late, because they weren't fun, or some interconnectedness caused weird problems, and there was no plan B. So the entrances are left there because why not.

Or, they figured people would use them because it's cooler that way (I did) and put them in for that reason.