Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've been waiting a while for the Story/Cinematic trailer. It delivered. If anyone cares here is what the game's story seems to be based on, at least going by my attempt to match the trailer with history:

After their father died, Cleopatra and her brother Ptolmey were supposed to jointly rule Egypt. Ptolmey was only 10 years old though, and thus required a counsel to help him rule, which included a eunuch named Pothinus who was eager to gain power. He saw potential to do so through The Gabiniani, who were 2 old Roman legions called permanently stationed in Egypt from a previous war in Egypt. The opportunity came when the Gabinani were approached by two Syrian princes asking for military aid for their father in a Syrian war. The Gabiniani did not want to leave their comfy spot in Egypt, so they simply killed the princes. Cleopatra had the perpetrators executed, which lead to her earning the hatred of both legions. Ponthius seized this opportunity and made them allies, eventually using their military power to force Cleopatra out of Alexandria into exile, and give Ptolmey sole rule.

When the civil war later broke out in Rome, the Roman general who originally lead the Gabiniani declared for Pompey. Ceaser thus took the exiled Cleopatra's side, and when he won had her installed as sole ruler, destroyed the Gabiniani, and had Ponthius executed.

In the trailer the dudes with the green masks are definitely Ptolmey's advisers. Right after you see Cleopatra and Ceaser in the middle of the trailer, you can actually see two of the green masked men lead Ptolmey out to greet a cheering crowd of Egyptians. The one that is assassinated in the trailer is guarded by Roman soldiers, who are likely the Gabiniani. It seems like they will be the templars in the game, and the main bad guy will likely be Ponthius. Not sure how Ceaser will fit into this, because I thought AC: Brotherhood showed him to also be a templar. Perhaps the whole Roman Civil War will be a Templar Civil war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Can they just kill Shaun off finally? I'm so sick of that guy's smarmy bullshit. I still think it's a bizarre design choice to have combat where getting fuckin run-through with swords and spears isn't a fatal move :psyduck: Hopefully it was just a difficulty level thing?

That's the RPG aspect. You now deal damage that pops up as numbers above the enemies heads. If you fight people above your level you they have more HP than you can deal, even with straight up assassination execution animations. It's kind of dumb...

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Orv posted:

I get why people are worried about the RPG stuff, but it's not really that important unless you're really bought into the idea of this being open world. Yes, you can go anywhere any time, but the reality is that the RPG stuff is there to provide a linear progression from area to area, because if Syndicate is any indication, people above your level will be basically impossible, and people of your level are where you're meant to be.

That, honestly, makes it a different kind of lovely, but in that sense it at least has a purpose other than padding gameplay.

E: Of course two days after the game comes out there will be a Youtube video of someone killing the end boss at level one so it probably doesn't matter.

Do people really want a linear path in an otherwise open world game though? What advantage does that bring to the gameplay? Why even make it open world at all if a large chunk of areas are going to be gated by enemies that that are health sponges?

Granted the last AC I played was Black Flag, which still used the old formula. Maybe Syndicate did this, and did it well?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Orv posted:

Syndicate had 4 or 5 power rankings for its map areas, I forget which exactly, and you could totally do things in any order in any area, but if you hosed up the higher level guys did like two thirds of your health a hit instead of maybe 5%, meaning it was all doable, but one missed parry and you were dead.

I expect Origins will be similar, as long as you're not going somewhere a dozen levels above you. Since they've shown levels in the mid and high 20s, I just expect there will be some places you're not intended to go immediately.

In the videos I've seen the devs have stated they consider any area 5 levels above you as "very difficult". When watching someone in a video attempt one, his one hit assassination takedown did not kill an enemy in 1 hit nor did a direct headshot arrow.

Seeing someone get up from a full out execution takedown with a hidden blade to the neck is just weird. I'm not sure it will ever feel right.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
84 on Metacritic. Sounds like it's a solid entry, but just more Assassins Creed

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Coldforge posted:

I've reached the final story mission, and still haven't uncovered 2/5ths of the map, and there are dozens of side missions I haven't even started. :cry:

Also: buy the console version if you have the option. Very few problems for me (a couple audio bugs, some geometry glitches, but nothing major).

How was the story overall? I actually really enjoyed the story of the Ezio trilogy. Does it begin to approach that level of quality?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
It still blows my mind that they messed up an American Revolution AC. My friends and I used to actually throw that around as a wish setting when talking about what we wanted from the post-Ezio games. When it was announced we were incredibly excited. I've never been so disappointed. I don't think any of us actually finished the game.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Edit: Not worth it. Point already made by others.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
2200 BCE: Sumerians and Kish Civilizations and the rise of the Akaddian empire. You have Sumerian Mesopotamia, early Persians, Ebalite Kingdom, and Mari Kingdom all vying for power in a geographic space ranging from Palestine to Iran.

600 BCE: Fall of Babylon to the Persian Empire. Set it inside the city under siege. You have lots of interesting dynamics including the captured aristocratic Jewish class writing the Bible.

350BCE: Sicily and Northern Africa. When Carthage, varying Greek tyrants, and Pyrrhus we’re duking it out for control of the island. Before Rome got involved. There’s some truly wild characters in this period like Agathocoles.

100BCE: Northern Africa. Numidian Kingdom when they fought the Romans invasion.

???: A game in India under Colonial rule or with the East India company being the bad guy.

These are all settings I would enjoy

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
As someone who skipped Origins & Odyssey and wasn't really thrilled by what I've seen so far of this game, the 7 minute trailer from today was quite impressive. It's a very pretty game at the least.

If the reviews are good maybe Ill grab it after Demon's Souls & Miles Morales.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Holly hell a 92!? That's half life 2 and witcher 3 territory iirc.

https://www.pcgamer.com/assassins-creed-valhalla-review/

Edit: yeah HL2 was a 96, W3 was a 92.

Why are you looking at a single review? It has an 82-85% on metacritic. You are in for a rough time if you think this game is gonna be even near as good as Half Life 2 or Witcher 3.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Guys take this with a grain of salt but according to leaks (from people whom worked in Origins and Valhalla) the next setting will be

1)In Transoxiana (Upper Khorasan, Khawrazem)
2)Set during the reign of Emir Timur the lame (Tamerlane)
3)The conflict between Timur and Bayezid will be major backdrop of the game.
4)Samarkand, Herat, Isfahan mutliple major cities you can visit
5)Central Asian, Steppe and Persian themed setting
6)Choice between M/F
7)The main player will be from the Uzbeks(??)

EDIT: More info

8)It won't be similar to previous titles, where the passage of time is not felt and basically a one go character from begining to finish.
9)You start as an orphan bought from a slave raid and sold in the markets of samarkand (13 years old??) You grow older through out the game
10) They want to reanct the "slave to sultan" stories that where prevalant in the central asia and middle east at that time ( Mamlukes, Seljuks Ghazni)

Inject this straight into my veins please.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 19, 2020

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I was a huge fan of the Ezio Trilogy & I liked Black Flag well enough, but I bounced hard off ACIII and never touched anything else, so I've had a long break from the series.

I want to try one the newer trilogy. I was waiting to see what people thought of Valhalla and I'm seeing pretty mixed reviews. To be honest, the setting doesn't excite me at all compared to the other two.

Any strong opinion on whether I should go with Origins or Odyssey? My tolerance for crazy large open world games is smaller these days, so I'm definitely only going to play one of them. Egypt interests me more as a setting and Bayek seems like the most compelling protagonist out of the three, but Ancient Greece is pretty neat too and I know Odyssey is the newer game so I'm assuming the gameplay is better.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Earwicker posted:

i have 100 hours in Odyssey and there are still like four or five islands i havent even visited yet. pretty sure i can imagine exactly whats on them though

once i got to a certain point i got really bored with the main story and would just load up the game every once in a while to sail around for a bit and then maybe assassinate a house leader or order member or something. Ill probably keep coming back to it for years so it does have that going for it. if you ignore the overarching story and just have fun flipping a province from Athens to Sparta or back its a game you can casually play forever

This is the opposite of what I want. I care about the overarching narrative and don't really like to do side stuff forever. Sounds like Origins is a better fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
A while back I asked about playing one of the three AC games from this generation and I decided on Origins. I just finished it.

I'd say it was a mixed bag, but probably more negative than positive. I'd rank it below ACII, Brotherhood, and Black Flag, but above ACI, which are all the AC games I've experienced.

Narrative wise they had a strong foundation to tell an excellent story, but then executed it poorly. Bayek and Aya were great characters, and using them to tell a story about losing and finding one's purpose in life is a great premise. Especially when you mix in how their different journeys with grief led them on different paths and the trade offs of becoming so focused on a singular vision that you lose your humanity. Unfortunately, the pacing was so jarring that it really sucked the enjoyment out of the story. Both characters needed time to breath and we needed a slower introduction of the Roman narrative into the story. I'm actually familiar with the history behind the setting and it's a shame they barely bothered to take the time to explain the Gabini, the civil war in Rome, and how that affected power dynamic with Egypt. The way it exists in the game, it sort of comes out of no where. They also showed they could not juggle the personal and historical narratives, as it almost becomes comical how every major antagonist is casually assigned responsibility for your son's death right as you begin the boss fight with them, only to then be revealed, that, no it's actually the next guy.

I think the Ezio games did it correctly by having the narrative broken into distinct pieces with time jumps. It's a format that is conducive to having the players become endeared to the character themselves as they grow with them and with the overarching historical setting, because major events don't happen days apart, but do happen over the span of a lifetime. They could have easily done this in Origins with an early part focusing on the personal quest of Bayek and Aya, and then a timeskip where they introduce the high politics and Rome. I really hope they go back to generational model in the next trilogy.

Gameplay wise, to put it succinctly, Origins sucks. The combat is terrible, and being open world isn't an excuse in a timeline where Horizon and Spiderman exist. Mechanically, there's no depth, as every fight involves dodging once and then wailing on the enemy, from the first encounter to the final boss. Aesthetically, it's incredibly unpleasing-- there's no weight at all to the animations, the sound design is forgettable, the kill animations are worse than ACII/Brotherhood. The parkour was serviceable, but I found myself getting stuck to the wrong wall or running up the wrong column in the few areas I needed precision.

The one standout highlight of the game was the general world map and the tomb exploration. It's an incredible portrayal of Ptolemic Egypt that often left me in awe, even though I played it 4 years after it's release. The cities were filled with so many unique buildings and awesome sights. The absolute highlights of the gameplay were uncovering and exploring the pyramids, catacombs, and other large mystery areas that award a skill point.

Based on my experience with this game there is no way I would touch Odyssey or Valhalla. I sincerely hope they burn the engine to the ground and go back to the chalkboard with the next trilogy. Keep the exploration the same, but focus the gameplay on being an assassin. Ditch the quantity for quality-- have fewer but more multi-part quest lines with more detailed locations. If you have less locations, then focus on having context sensitive ways to infiltrate/assassinate each one and bring the gameplay back to the original idea of using stealth and avoiding combat. If they insist on continuing with an emphasis on combat, then they should put in the effort and make a combat system that actually can rival Horizon, Spiderman, or God of War. I understand I'm probably in the minority with my ask list here and most people enjoy the new style. I'll probably just have to accept the series has moved in a direction I'm not terribly interested in.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 3, 2021