Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
So this has got to be one the biggest open worlds ever created at this point, right? I decided to do all the align the stars quests in one go yesterday, and still being early in the game I had to ride everywhere since I didn't have many fast travel points unlocked in level 20+ zones. It just keeps going on and on, and I still didn't touch every zone yet. Just the physical world-building in the game is monumental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Horse supremacy!

Mainly because although I suspect they travel at the same speed, horses feel like they go faster than camels because you're closer to the ground.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Calaveron posted:

In AC1 you’d assassinate a target and right there and then, in the setting you performed what was most likely a throat slit, your target would begin monologuing at you for minutes at a time while leaking gallons of blood. Starting with AC2 they had Ezio and victim teleport to the Fiddy Zone where it makes more sense as it’s more of a trippy, abstract thing which was perfected with Bayek and the Duat thing
Also you kill your first guy as Ezio expecting a long rear end monologue like in 1 and then he just calls you a figlio di puttana and dies immediately

Remember that weird thing they did as well where there'd be little glitches during the death scene, and if you hit A or whatever quickly enough you get a new camera angle or even some extra lines of dialogue with the character. So many weird little touches from the earlier games that have fallen by the wayside.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m kind of ok with that being done with. Anything that lets me not worry about putting my controller down for a cutscene is a-ok in my book (I’m so sorry Leo, I wanted to hug you but I was eating Fritos)

True, but as much as I love Origins, I feel you could do a vid for it like the one they did for Mafia 3 that was all "Hey, look at tons of stuff that was in earlier games that they removed from the latest."

It's not like anything monumental is missing from Origins, just a bunch of little things you notice from time to time that would be nice to have back.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I miss little things, like picking pockets, or the blending mechanic. There's not a lot of immediate danger in this world, as long as you play it cool guards don't give a poo poo about you. I liked working my way through cities in the other games, where any guard would attack on sight, so you had to blend past them, or go over the rooftops. I don't think Bayek has the dynamic "pushing your way through crowds" thing either, where the hands would come up and track people close to you so you'd push them away, although maybe it's there and I never noticed it. Climbing has been dumbed down to nothing at this point, he can pretty much climb anything and everything by pressing forward. The biggest climbing "puzzle" seems to be getting up the pyramids, but that's still nothing really.

I'm kind of meh on the new fighting system as well. The old one wasn't great either, and was getting tedious since every kill required you to sit there for ten seconds as Ezio performed his overly-stylish and technical flourish kills. This one though seems like it just went the opposite direction and found mediocrity in another way. It just seems like a lot of flailing mostly, and what mechanics are there are about as basic as you can get.

Still, the game makes up for it all with it's amazing world. For a long time I felt that AC1 still had the best world building in the series, what with it's eastern and western cities, and the wildlands filled with bandits and templars. This definitely tops it though. It's just so drat inviting, and it's one of the first game worlds I'm happy to just wander around slowly checking things out. Such a great feel to wander around a half-crumbling market, as the setting sun plays off the pyramids in the distance.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm not sure what you guys mean by the game not explaining the role of the Medjay, since it does that dozens of times.

They're one step up from the phylacatae, royal protectors with special privileges. Basically the FBI to the phylacataes police.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Finally finished the game. Did everything, visited everywhere.

Final thoughts, this game totally rides on it's gameplay, setting, and charm, because the story was ultimately boring as balls. Side quest design was very cookie cutter as well, with most falling into the "I lost something, find it.", "Bandits did me wrong, go get em.", or "Go rescue this person." variety. Bayek was a great character, but very little was done with him, and the whole "beginning of the assassins" thing was basically a wet fart in the end. The precursor stuff was weird as well, since besides a few offhand comments from Bayek, he never really seems all that amazed or interested by the precursor sites, the recordings there, or the apple. World design was pretty great overall, but got a little lazy in the northwestern Greek/Roman areas. The game barely takes you to that whole section of the map as well, kind of making it feel like an afterthought. That one mission where you have to fight the snake god was odd as well, since it's the only one in the game proper. They introduced those god-battle challenges as a limited time thing later on as well, which makes me think they didn't really know what to do with the gods and those were originally part of the main game, but were culled leaving only the snake battle.

Overall I still really liked the whole thing, but only because they made Egypt such an amazing place to run around in. If they can do the same for whatever the next game is, but tie it to a much more interesting narrative, that would be killer. Let's play as someone on the Templars side of things, and not just someone at Abstergo in the near-future parts of the game.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, the meta-plot stuff was so beyond inconsequential in Origins I don't understand why they even bothered. Maybe some vocal minority on the dev team was adamant that it had to be included, so they threw them a bone. But really, literally nothing happens in the modern setting in this game.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

snoremac posted:

Do you stick to things less in Origins and are the controls generally less aggravating? I’m playing Syndicate and it sure sucks in that sense.

In Origins you press forward and Bayek does the rest. He can literally climb 99.9% of all structures with almost zero input from the player. The only exceptions being one or two buildings in the entire game, and the pyramids where you have to angle towards set hand holds.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

So is Isis not in this game at all? I thought she was a big deal at that time.

A little, but she's referred to by her egyptian name "Iset", instead of as her more well known name Isis.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

precision posted:

If my wife and I ever have a daughter "Isis" was my top pick for her name, and now, welp. God drat it.

You could name her Iset, and it would only be slightly less spectacularly cringe-worthy than than naming her Isis.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Actually it wasn't Darius, it was Darius's monster.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
My favorite move was on those missions to rescue someone being pulled around in cage. Sneak in quietly, hop on the back as it passes, and then secretly pop the door and carry them away while the cart driver keeps moving on unaware.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Supreme Allah posted:

A preview of Discovery mode (coming feb 23), this is a full walkthrough of the Great pyramid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_KOpq_BH1g

I can't wait for this

Very cool!

One weird tidbit from that vid was when they said "It's believed it took between 600,000 and 2 millions blocks to create the pyramid."

I mean, I know we can't pull it apart to count, but that's quite the gap between how many blocks there could be in there.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DrNutt posted:

Am I crazy or does Unity actually look a bit better than Syndicate? I'm playing on PS4 and it's gorgeous. Especially coming right off of 3, the faces are really exceptional and realistic.

No craziness about it, Unity does look better. They actually had to scale the graphics back a bit for Syndicate, since Unity looked amazing but ran pretty lovely at launch and had a ton of graphical issues.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Why? I don't recall anything particularly bad about it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Are they planning to have an actual story in this one and for things to happen?

Origins was a masterwork of worldbuilding, but easily the shallowest of the series when it came to story/mechanics/setpieces/dialogue/pretty much everything else. Hopefully it was just a trial run while they worked out the kinks to make Odyssey a full game.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wolfsheim posted:

People forget that while Origins has the best combat,

It doesn't even remotely have the best combat. It's just as bad as any previous AC game, just in a different way. They wanted to get rid of the endless canned animation kills and timing based strikes from previous games, and instead we just got wild flailing and overly long combat encounters.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vadoc posted:

Drinking and being drunk is for being at port and as special rewards if at sea, not while actually sailing.

If you mean historically, the no, sailors were very often drunk while sailing. They had a ration of beer and rum, and it was quite common for sailors to save their rum for a week and then drink it all in one go and get blitzed on a Sunday.

If it became a problem, then they would water down the rum and turn it into grog to discourage the practice. And even if a sailor was caught being excessively drunk, they might get lashes or forfeiture of their share, but never, ever would they withhold their allotment of beer and rum.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FuriousGeorge posted:

Having checked-out of Assassin’s Creed sometime in the middle of Brotherhood I’m surprised at how jazzed I am about this game. I couldn’t care less about its AssCreed-ness but a Witcher 3-like set in the Ancent Greek Isles is extremely my jam. Plus, Kassandra seems cool.

Uhhhh, dont go in expecting any of the narrative depth or nuance of Witcher 3. 90% of the quests in this game are going to be "These dudes right over there killed my wife, go kill them. Kthxbye."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Ubi could've fooled me with who their "main" was. In the mega ritch-bitch collectors edition, the dude statue is him leaping off a column about to spear somebody, and it interlocks with an enemy statue blocking the hit.

Kassandras statue is her standing there.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PantsBandit posted:

So has anyone braver than me watched enough of the streams to have early impressions?

It's fine. Origins, but greek.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Are there 700 collectibles crowding the map? - Yes

Did they finally undo the sin of Brotherhood by ditching full-sync? - Yes

How much side-content isn't level-locked? - None, other than going into a high level area will get your rear end beat, but its doable if you're very stealthy.

Is every merchant the same? - Basically

How well does it clone the Witcher 3? - Nothing like the Witcher at all. I don't know why people keep bring up this comparison.

How is the stealth compared to the Phantom Pain? - Stealth is there, but it's so much less of a big deal than it was in previous AC games that it's almost pointless at times.

Is the story still choppy as hell like previous titles? - Story sucks. Game is a mile wide, and an inch deep.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Most likely. Those slow-mo jumping bow moves were already in Origins.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Now that I'm off the intro island, the Spartans are friendly to me, but I could kill them if I wanted to. If I kill them, will they be permanent enemies then, or will they calm down and be BFF's at some point?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

isk posted:

One thing I've noticed is that I don't use fast travel as often as in other games. The environment's so pretty and traversal's fun. Whoever at Ubisoft championed the idea of removing falling damage nailed it.

While I agree, I think part of my reluctance to use fast travel in this one is that the fast-travel sync points are so far apart. Great if you need to get across the world, but not really useful when I just need to get over a mountain.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Modus Pwnens posted:

Do you ever get the ability to bring the ship to where you fast travel?

Yeah, as long as your in a docking zone in a harbour, you can call it to you. I don't think you can call it to any random shore though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I didn't realize that they actually existed in the world rather than spawning when the bounty popped.

They do both really. Some will wander around, some have designated camp-sites they stay at, but if you get a bounty they will start spawning in relatively close to you and then make a bee line for wherever your last reported crime took place.

I was kind of surprised that there weren't more merc names in the name-generator as well. I've seen mercs with the exact same name and skills repop in the world after I've killed or recruited them. You think somebody could've taken a day or two to populate the list with a couple hundred different name/title combos that could be mixed and matched.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

JBP posted:

Just let us choose ABSTERGO or ABSTERNO mode.

Okay, I'm going to get in the Aminus now and travel back in time.

*chugs Sterno*

... ohh man, I'm in anshent Greese. I'm a sassin', oh man. Got my beagle and *heaves*, got my... my powers. These hreeks is tryin to do a buttsex on me, fuckin greeces. I'm gonna eckscapes to the isle of lesbos.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fart City posted:

I�ve read there is a female bandit crew, but no idea where it is.

I haven't seen it myself, but if I wanted to find an all-female crew I know the first place in Greece I'd go looking for them....

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Are poisoned arrows heavier than regular ones? I feel like ever since I got my perma-poison bow that the arrows fall short of their mark a lot of the time. I get the prompt for a headshot, I'm at full draw, and then I loose it and the arrow drops five feet in front of the enemy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

William Bear posted:

The exception is the Death Arrows, which you get for killing a legendary beast. Check your quest log, you'll see an arrow in the listed rewards

You can also get a bow on Naxos that automatically turns regular arrows into poison arrows.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Locator posted:

... so easy to finish with my 'click until they die' combat style.

This is the only combat style.

There's no real combo system in the game, unless you consider hitting the heavy attack button occasionally a "combo".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ice Fist posted:

How/where/when have you ever had a snake successfully attack you? I've only even seen snakes outside of tombs during a single story quest in Athens. I'm sure there are other quests that have them, but it's usually never a surprise and they're very easy to kill since they act more like turrets or landmines than real enemies.

There are poo poo tons of snakes inside tombs. I found one in particular that must've had 12 sneks in the final treasure room alone. I threw a torch in and the whole room erupted in flame as oil jars exploded, and there were still snakes left over after it went out.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Apparently the animals can swim if need be.

But then they're a magnet for sharks.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Same with destroying silos. Even if no one witnesses you do it, you still get an automatic bounty for blowing one up.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, there are a few weird story beats that don't quite work out.

I stumbled across Elpinor in the Snake Canyon cave before I got the mission to go kill him. So I stumbled across him and he was trying to kill me and I didn't get it, because at that point we were still on good terms. Why was he attacking me? It was only a few hours later that I got the quest where the other guy explained Elpinor was a baddie that needed to be killed, but things being out of order totally messed with the flow of the story.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

bike tory posted:

What other guy? In my game I accidentally told Elpinor to go gently caress himself after I killed Nikolaos for him (because the dialogue choices were ambiguous and not well connected to what Kassandra actually said). He sicked some goons on me and ran away to the valley of snakes.

I think it was Herodotus. I let Nokilaus go, but told Elpinor he was dead. Then Elpinor headed off for Delphi, where I met him once more and he was all "Go to go take care of some stuff, see you later.", so we were still on good terms at this point. After that is when I stumbled on him in the cave, killed him after he attacked me, and then faffed off doing whatever for a few hours. Then I talked to Herodotus who was all "No, Elpinor is bad dude, go kill him.", and then Kassandra did the "already taken care of" bit. Everything was out of order with that part of the main quest.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I saw the best thing tonight. I was racing on Phobos across the countryside when I swing the view to the side for a second to catch a glimpse of a lion just savaging a dude inside his tent. The models couldn't quite handle the attacks and combat inside the tent, so everything was flipping the gently caress out as the lion went ham on that guys rear end. Just the perfect WTF moment as I sped past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You could say they have a...complex. :heysexy:

Oh, you mean the Demetria R. Stavros Mother-Dome, down on 56th? In the Lady-district?

Yeah, beautiful complex, really a top notch building.