Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Alchenar posted:

Bayek just murders people because they have a fort. Or stockade. Or cave.

I've started replaying Origins after learning about the whole 'unarmed let's you do nonlethal takedowns again' trick and it basically turned Bayek from a psychopath to a guy who only kills to defend himself (or if you're dealing with truly heinous murderer types). Except I'm still bad at stealth so it's more like I knock out two guys and then kill all of their friends, but I'm trying to be a nice guy.

I'm also all the way to Level 30 and just like my first time I've still yet to find a legendary spear :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Yeah, plus Bayek actually comments on the FFXV bits, whereas the god trials (other than the main plot drug one) are literal code bits shooting out. I dunno, I've only played like three of them at this point (unrelated: I just beat Origins and the bird skull wasn't that bad, guys) but I kind of assumed that you were tweaking the past by the way the First Civilization nerds talk at you. I mean it's all insane sci-fi magic anyway so why not?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Hakarne posted:

I'm a little late to the Origins party, but is there an updated list of weapons anywhere? My Google-fu finds stuff from when the game first released, but I know there were a poo poo ton of weapons added.

Also, if anyone has any favorite weapons/suggestions I'd love to hear them because the combat is fun once you get the hang of it. I've been enjoying using the Stick of Bastet and Golden Wolf to kick lots of rear end. Only weapons I haven't liked are dual swords, they feel way too weak on Nightmare with level scaling on.

P.S. gently caress fire Archers.

I dont have an exhaustive list but I'm sad to report having just breezed through the main campaign that unless the RNG is kind you don't get any legendary spears until the very end of the game:cry:

Also, having just started Hidden Ones, I'm kinda disappointed they didn't add any new gameplay features whatsoever. Since it's all about recruiting and growing your new assassin group you'd think they'd at least throw in a few of the AC Brotherhood mechanics or soemthing.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

It finally happened; the Ubi fatigue set in. I had finished Hidden Ones and was a decent ways into Curse of the Pharaohs when I realized that I had no desire to infiltrate another fort, killing everyone there (or sneaking by them but that takes longer and you get no rewards for it) and then getting the item/rescuing the guy/reading the note before moving onto the next diamond on the map.

It's a shame too because Thebes is gorgeous compared to Sinai and the crazy plot is a little more interesting, but there's so little variety in the gameplay that I just reached a point of :effort:

I assume it'll come back around eventually, but man, the struggle is real. They really did give me too much of a good thing.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I kinda assume Odyssey will be about Templars (or at least the Order from Origins) starting with good intentions? That's what the preview stuff made it sound like anyway.

You guys are making me wanna play Rogue when I still have most of Brotherhood, Revelations and Syndicate sitting in my library :negative:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Scott Forstall posted:

Dude in the resetera forums played a high level stealth build (based on a version of the game build after the E3 one) and has some video and impressions. Haven’t watched the video myself because I’m already in with a preorder and don’t need to see more before I play it myself but I’ll link it

https://youtu.be/R4kFd4QjFhM

Some gifs as well but I’m on mobile so here’s a link to the thread itself

https://www.resetera.com/threads/assassins-creed-odyssey-gameplay-high-level-stealth-build-with-hood-outfit-more.59315/

Ehhhh I mean I like the aesthetic and all but I can't really differentiate this from Origins raiding a base, just stabbing with a spear instead of a hidden blade. Granted, I know these first looks are almost exclusively gonna be 'look at the pretty graphics and sweet kill animations' but I'm way more interested in the supposedly new stuff like dialogue options, quest branching and recruiting random guys to join Diamond DogsGreek naval warfare club.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

isk posted:

Origins = rather good, 4k is demanding here too, very good game / hard to return to previous ACs after playing it

~on the contrary~ I just went back to Brotherhood after playing through the bulk of Origins and its two expansions and while the movement/combat are obviously janky by comparison its nice to actually have stuff to do. Like taking over outposts and renovating shops, recruiting and sending assassins on missions, or the little mini games like gambling or fight club. I also like the little challenges to get 100% synchronization. In Origins the only diversions outside of quests are the Hippodrome (sssuuuuckssss) and the arena (the same combat you do outside, just without bows/tools). Outside of the core sneaking/combat there's just not a lot there.

Admittedly it still works because the sneaking/combat is great and it's gorgeous to look at, but it's such a small gameplay loop that I just wish they added in a little more stuff to do. That's what sequels are for, I guess.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

DrNutt posted:

It's one of those weird things where I thought they controlled fine at the time and now that I've experienced something so substantially better they feel like garbage.

Yeah but has Bayek ever run through the streets throwing out handfuls of coins to cheering peasants like some kind of Italian Santa Claus :colbert:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Weird question but once I get to the end of Brotherhood is there a post-game where I'm free to go over anything I missed? I've only done about half of the Da Vinci Disappearance quests and Romulus dungeons but I just hit Sequence 8 and it seems like things are wrapping up, and I recall the last game ending with the team running away, so I'm not sure if I'm about to screw myself out of hidden artifacts around the present-day villa or whatever. Not that I ever 100% games like this, but it's nice to know I could go back and do it if I wanted to without replaying the whole thing, you know?

Second weird question: one thing I liked about the beginning of Brotherhood was that it started Ezio with all the same endgame equipment I'd left him in, including the best knife and Altair's gear. Canonically, is there any particular super armor/etc I should grab in this game before hitting the ending?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I was pretty loving hyped to roll into Revelations after finishing Brotherhood because I really like the setting and the graphics and controls improvements were great, but man, even after hearing how bad it was I was not prepared for how truly awful the tower defense minigame was.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Having just played 2+Brotherhood recently I can confirm that the key armor tombs as well as the templar lairs in 2 are worth doing. Side missions for people on the street and non-plot assassinations are mostly skippable; unlike Origins, none of them feature any interesting NPCs or sprawl off into quests, it's just a line of dialogue that amounts to kill that guy/race that guy/beat up that cheating husband.

Brotherhood's side missions are at least a little better about being interesting and you need to do a good chunk of them to hit 75% synch to unlock all the story content. They all unlock items too, which is kinda nice.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

It would've been the perfect mechanic for them to add to Origins in the Hidden Ones DLC considering all the assassins hanging around your base, but instead they added...nothing :effort:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Brotherhood is better, Revelations is the same thing as Brotherhood. 3 is a little jankier (than bro/rev but better than 2) imo but it gets better again in black flag/rogue.

I thought Unity was bad, but it's also just very different from everything before (a lot less focus on exploiting instant kills and more emphasis on having good gear and taking down enemy health bars). Syndicate takes what Unity started and makes it good again.

Worth noting that Revelations also adds a dedicated button for ranged attacks, so the hassle of constantly switching between your crossbow and melee weapons is mitigated. They also let you throw out three or four throwing knives at once, meaning you may actually use throwing knives at some point.

There's also the bombs but :effort: on bomb-making

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Are they planning to have an actual story in this one and for things to happen?

Nah nothing is gonna happen and there is no story

That's actually the main ad campaign, haven't you seen all those commercials that end with "Assassin's Creed Odyssey: Things Will Not Happen"?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Mandrel posted:

I really want to get excited for this but the combat looks so loving bad Jesus Christ almighty

People forget that while Origins has the best combat, it still stays true to the series vision of 'find ways to instakill your enemies as soon as possible because the more slogging away in a fight the more you start to hate it' and this game looks to be about the same.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I too would give AC1 a shot if they changed everything about it, yes

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I think just making everything with the apples and magic/etc weirder is the way to go, honestly. When I went back and played the Ezio games I was surprised at how insignificant the apple is, if I recall it just temporarily makes people crazy? And you can kinda control them but only a little bit and it hurts you? Whereas having it raise the dead and make demons come out of the ground is cool as hell and added some much-needed variety to Origins enemies (even if it wasn't enough to keep me playing to the end but that game is just too drat long).

While some nerd is gonna complain that going hard on magic monsters ruins the historical authenticity or whatever, I would argue that you're playing a game where a tireless parkour man commits dozens of murders on a daily basis and falls rear end-backwards into every major historical figure; its already a ridiculous fantasy, might as well embrace that and throw in some culturally-appropriate and period-specific mythological creatures to stab.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I assume they're also gonna add an autopilot option to the sailing. What made the islands in Origins such a pain was going from chilling as Senu while you cruised along on horseback to having to actually steer and hold down buttons just to get to the next objective.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

It was disjointed with all the abrupt and seemingly random switching between Aya and Bayek but I did like that final conversation between the two of them when they break up, and then the little sequence after of Bayek training new recruits with 'jump!' at the end. It was a nice little capstone moment.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I played the first two episodes and liked them enough but never got around to finishing the third.

I think that since odyssey will have regular daily/weekly poo poo in it besides the dlc, the episodic format might work better, since the game actually gives you a reason to play in between episodes.

I mean, Origins had daily/weekly updates but it was just 'kill this bandit fort for Reda' or 'fight one of two god bosses.' Or did they say Odyssey will have a bigger variation of stuff?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I made the mistake of trying to play Revelations immediately after running through 2+Brotherhood and it was a little too samey at the time to get much further than the tutorial but the setting did seem really cool. I also liked that ranged attacks finally had their own key bind for what I believe was a series first.

Also I'm told you only have to do the tower defense tutorial that one time if it helps but wow is it impressively bad.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The idea of spending Ubi bucks to buy weapons in a game like Origins where you trip over a new weapon every thirty feet is real dumb, yeah. Even the super cool preorder weapons weren't terribly better than what you find, and upgrading them was too expensive to really keep up.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Speaking of huge messes, I finally jumped in on Syndicate to see the dev team's track record and its kind of a huge mess. I feel like I like almost everything about it; the characters, the setting, brass knuckles and cane swords instead of axes and long swords, etc etc. But the way everything is just kind of thrown out there is a bit overwhelming.

Like, I started the game with a dozen belts and seem to get a new belt every couple missions. As far as I can tell half of these belts are the same level with the same stats but then one will say specialized defense. How? Am I getting more defense? Then why are the stats the same? I also just hit Level 4 and can now use what the description implies to be some kind of stealthy pistol, but it makes the same sound as the normal revolver. Is it working? Is the description entirely superfluous?

This also might be a symptom of playing a game after all the DLC is out, but I keep getting random missions from people on my train that will then start on the other side of the map and then disable fast travel, meaning I either have to restart the game so it places me closer or spend ten minutes getting there.

I also can't tell if there's any indication of who each mission is intended for, so I may be specced out for super sneaky Evie then realize I'm being forced to play as Jacob and his outfit bonuses are all about brawling or shooting guys. This is a minor issue but still irritating.

It just feels like they threw anything and everything out there to see what sticks with no regards to structure, flow or how well these systems work together. I'm wondering if Odyssey is gonna be more of the same.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 18, 2018

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sindai posted:

Odyssey is a big change from the previous games in a lot of ways and you probably should have just started with it.

I dunno, a lot of the preview stuff looks very "wWe took Origins and slapped a bunch of disparate features on it, will they work well together? Guess we'll see!"

Obviously I hope I'm wrong but a lot of the gameplay videos seem like there's a lot of different systems going on that may or may not mesh (which certainly wouldn't be new for the series).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Eudoros being at the baths reminds me; does anyone actually use the joke or legacy costumes they put in every AC? I think I dicked around in the towel for a few minutes and never did more than scroll over all the Ezio/Altair/etc costumes in Origins/Syndicate/etc. The only one that didn't look ridiculous or just out of place was the one that Michael Fassbender wore in the movie.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

In the old games I alway just used whatever period appropriate looking costume that didn't have the stupid hood.

Supremely disappointed when I found out the noble outfit in Brotherhood was just the young Ezio model from AC2 so anytime you used it you inexplicably lose your facial hair and my immersion

The Raiden outfit doesn't have this problem but is also the stupidest ugliest thing ever so kind of a fair trade I guess :shrug:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the biggest issue i had with origins was the outfits. all the base game ones were meh out side the hadje but they didn't have his medjy badge on it, hell none of the outfits outside his regular one did, and his regular outfit kind sucks.

I liked the way your gauntlets/etc started to look when you slowly upgraded them, but it only showed that on the default, peasant and bandit outfits IIRC.

I did kinda like the lion's head on the centurion outfit because it waggled around when Bayek moved in cutscenes but really why would he be wearing it, another case of my immersion

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Kuiperdolin posted:

New 3edgy5me trailer with Palahniuk narration : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bugaIHxOkag

Palahniuk didn't write Trainspotting you fuckin' plebe

That said that ad looks like they're throwing out a lot of the ironic humor from Syndicate, wondering how prolific that will be in the actual game. I wouldn't mind it even if it falls flat here and there.

Wait this is ancient Greece, the game might actually include literal fuckable plebes

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

underage at the vape shop posted:

Choose Life. Come play our videogame

The weird thing is the the very next line is "I chose not to choose life. I chose something else." makes perfect sense in the context of playing a 100+ hour video game but chose to omit it because gamers would resent the implications

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Frog Act posted:

So I'm weirdly bad at the 1-1 swordfighting. Like, the bigger dudes constantly do their unblockable charged attack, my attacks bounce off their perpetual guard, and they rarely break to hit so I can dodge and hit them, thus starting a combo. I've had a legitimately hard time fighting big dudes even a level or two below me one on one, and end up getting on my camel and just bonking the poo poo out of them. What am I missing? My power attack doesnt break shields unless fully charged (and goddamn, some of the power attack animations are horrible, like why would I swing at such a stupid small angle with a giant mace when my actual full charged overpower attack is overhead and super good) with most weapons and I rarely get to parry because enemies use the power attack a lot.

Am I missing something critical here or am I just bad? I'm not universally awful at real time melee stuff, I've played/beaten all the Dark Souls games and whatnot. Combat in this is way better than the earlier games but about ~20 hours in I'm having a much harder time directly assaulting enemy outposts than I had been earlier

I got hung up on the Sekhmet mission for this reason, although being forced to use the terrible staff didn't help. I remember them having certain tells before their unbreakable attacks that you could time against, but honestly just unlocking the higher level powers that let you use specials more often and brute forcing it works too. Its also easy to forget you have fire bombs, poison darts and a bow to just headshot them real quick.

Kuiperdolin posted:

Dodge and spam smoke bomb. The combat in Origins is terrible anyway.

No, though? I mean maybe in the sense that it doesn't stay fresh in such a lengthy game but it's easily the best combat in the series. The way each weapon feels a little different and compliments various styles is so good compared to the clunky parrying of previous games. Spears :love:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Kuiperdolin posted:

It's the worst of the series because it looks like a few idiots flailing around with weapons that either do damage without connecting or clip through the other guy without doing damage, forever.

The combats in the previous instalments were not always challenging (who cares though) but at least they looked good.

Man maybe it's been a while since you played the older games but having just run through the Ezio collection clipping issues is, uh, not new to the series. I can't even count the times that Ezio assassinated the space a foot to the right of a guy's neck only to have him crumple over, or times I'd be in the middle of a kill animation only to have another enemy hit me and watch it awkwardly cancel out despite the fact that my sword was already in the guy's chest.

Man, and bows! Good ranged combat in an AC game instead of an awkward lock-on! So many improvements!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I honestly found the series combat to peak in the game where you could skip all this super loving dull open murder by either throwing bombs at enemies until they all died painfully or just have your assassins do it for you because I played these games for

1) Looking at cool buildings and landscapes
2) Interesting accents and historical characters
3) Because there weren't any loving Englishmen but the one token guy
4) Incomprehensible alien bullshit

I literally never gave the tiniest of loving shits about combat other than being able to instantly kill most people by stabbing them like a loving assassin

Obviously, after the worst game 3 that happened to gently caress up every single one of those things with its boring shantytowns, dull ~deeper~ combat (though botes were good) and actually explaining things (terrible!) it's kinda gone downhill but at least Origins managed to do get back to the roots of the other 4 main pillars of AssCreed

It sounds like the combat-free guided tours are more your speed my friend :)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sinteres posted:

The next one after Odyssey is probably going to be Rome.

Am I missing the joke because Rome already happened my man

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

My main concern is that Odyssey will try to do so much that all the disparate systems will never really come together in a satisfying way that feels cohesive. And that this will be a persistent yet unignorable underlying problem that won't really become evident until you've already sunk hours and hours into the game.

But my heart says THIS. IS. SPARTA! *kicks u off a cliff*

Yeah this was my concern earlier because this dev team also did Syndicate and 'disparate systems never really coming together' is that game's biggest flaw by far. I'm gonna hold off until there are more fleshed-out reviews beyond first impressions (or maybe until the inevitable Ubisoft 30% off sale in like two months).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Already deleted. What was it??

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

I checked out YouTube to see if people had gotten early review copies and almost every person playing is using Alexios

sigh...

I think you'll find, as I've been informed by many YouTube comments, that anyone who would play as Kassandra or any woman in any game, is a SJW cuck bitch :eng101:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The Witcher 3 comparisons are fair because it has a lot of the same 'investigate a scene to find clues' sidequests and in both games your job is wandering beast-killing detective, you're just not looked down on by the villagers you're helping. There's just no actual dialogue options or alternate resolutions, which I hope Odyssey will rectify (but we'll see, I watched a little bit of some guy's stream and a lot of the dialogue options were just flavor from what I could tell).

Oxxidation posted:

i'm on console

I played Origins on PS4 and never had any glaring pop-in or glitches or anything that I noticed. And this is on the PS4 Poor as well :shrug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Lambert posted:

You don't stand a chance against enemies a few levels higher, even if you're stealthy as you can't one-shot assassinate them. But that is fine, because it will create a pleasant sense of progression through the different zones.

There are a million collectibles in this game, certainly expect that.

Man there's the stone circles, two dozen papyrus puzzles and that's about it. A pretty far cry from 101 Borgia flags, 50 feathers or 180(!) helix glitches.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Most likely. Those slow-mo jumping bow moves were already in Origins.

All the cool bow skills in Origin were so deep in the tree and so much less contextually useful than any of the melee skills that I bet most people never saw it. I think I unlocked it at like level 50 just before before burning out on the second expansion.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Preorder bonus equipment is weird to me because I always like starting out with scrub-tier gear and a tunic and then ending up as an avenging dark god. Bayek using a flaming sword while hanging out in his podunk home village didn't mesh.

Over There posted:

I didn't like the setting of origins but I like the setting of this.

Man, I was the opposite and its one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Everyone knows Greek history but few have dived deep on Egypt.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Rookersh posted:

gently caress it. If I start with Origins, can I assume Layla and her adventure was happening around the same time as Ass3, and then go play through Desmond's adventure after beating Origins/Odyssey? I assume eventually Sean, Rebecca, and the Juno poo poo is going to become important again and reconnect with the Layla stuff, I just have to hope it's not in Odyssey, right?

I haven't played every game but I'm preeetty sure that the modern day stuff is chronological, so Layla's story starts after everything else already happened.

The good news is that, at least as far as I can tell in Syndicate, absolutely nothing of consequence happened between AC3 and Origins other than Shaun and Rebecca dicking around. I think Layla was meant to be a soft reboot that discards a lot of that (though I do hope Shaun and Rebecca show back up because I did enjoy his bitchy descriptions).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Snuffman posted:

Also, according to Layla's notes, the Creed movie (and all it entails, silly floaty animus included) is part of the cannon.*

*LOL.

Yeah, the lady from the movie was her boss I think? And also some other Abstergo executive guy got executed by the Watch_Dogs trenchcoat man?

It's best not to think about it too hard.