Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
Was he caught on tape goosestepping as a neo Nazi or doing the antifa thing running around beating people up? Did he make an insensitive tweet?

Nope. Asian dude had the wrong name and was making people feel unsafe. He's been pulled from all Virginia home games.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.75d8426ff078

quote:

Robert Lee lost something in Virginia — and 152 years later, another Robert Lee did too.

The living Robert Lee, an ESPN broadcaster, was pulled from calling the University of Virginia home opener against William and Mary on Sept. 2 due to sharing a name with the Confederate general at the center of unrest in Charlottesville.

“We collectively made the decision with Robert to switch games as the tragic events in Charlottesville were unfolding, simply because of the coincidence of his name,” Derek Volner, an ESPN spokesman, told The Washington Post in an emailed statement.

“In that moment it felt right to all parties. It’s a shame that this is even a topic of conversation and we regret that who calls play by play for a football game has become an issue,” he said.

Volner declined to say if the network made a preemptive decision or responded to outside pressure to pull Lee from the broadcast. Lee, a sportscaster for 20 years, began his career calling games at Syracuse University, his alma mater. He is fluent in English and Mandarin Chinese, according to his online resume.

He did not respond to a request for comment on Twitter. Volner, the ESPN spokesman, did not say if Lee was available for comment.

According to Sports Illustrated’s Richard Deitsch, another ESPN representative said the company did not “mandate Robert Lee change his assignment” and that Lee was “more comfortable” not doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
posting this makes you look like a nazi. I'm not saying you are, you just need to be careful what some people might think. better to remove this post :)

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Cumslut1895 posted:

posting this makes you look like a nazi. I'm not saying you are, you just need to be careful what some people might think. better to remove this post :)

What why? Well to be safe for any idiot reading. Nazis are bad.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

why bring this up? you're clearly just trying to upset people. you don't want anyone to get the wrong idea

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Cumslut1895 posted:

why bring this up? you're clearly just trying to upset people. you don't want anyone to get the wrong idea

So this (somewhat humerous, haha millenial college kids) injustice should just be swept under the rug?

If someone sees this story and thinks I have a shrine to hitler in my room that's not really my problem cumslut.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

So this (somewhat humerous, haha millenial college kids) injustice should just be swept under the rug?

If someone sees this story and thinks I have a shrine to hitler in my room that's not really my problem cumslut.

#BASHTHEFASH YOU loving NAZI

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Who loving cares? This is such a non-issue. Why am I posting in a poo poo thread?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
this is the holocaust all over again. on many sides

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Cumslut1895 posted:

What why? Well to be safe for any idiot reading. Nazis are bad.

Cumslut1895 posted:

Cumslut1895 posted:

#BASHTHEFASH YOU loving NAZI
haha

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Because of the implication ...

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
ESPN initially asked him to pronounce it with an R instead

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

ltugo fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 23, 2017

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zorodius posted:

ESPN initially asked him to pronounce it with an R instead

:vince:

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
This is hilarious and part of ESPN's slow slide to death.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
And that Robert Lee was Albert enstien

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lee should probably sue.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lee should probably sue.

well whatever he does, he shouldnt take up arms in a treasonous rebellion over the right to own humans as property

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
this is why Trump won

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EX250 Type R posted:

well whatever he does, he shouldnt take up arms in a treasonous rebellion over the right to own humans as property
Agreed, that would be an overreaction.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

wow, people are big idiots

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
Its a shame because Robert Lee loved virginia over all other states

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Its a shame because Robert Lee loved virginia over all other states

truly an opinion worthy of scorn and national shame

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
It's called UVA not Virginia University you dope.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Whenever I hear about middle aged Asian dudes hitting hard luck in the news I instantly think they look and act like Mike Yanageta from Fargo.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Whenever I hear about middle aged Asian dudes hitting hard luck in the news I instantly think they look and act like Mike Yanageta from Fargo.

:same:, from here on out

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cumslut1895 posted:

shut the gently caress up, nazi

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
Nothing says bash the fash like getting a minority fired :bravo:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

wow, people are big idiots

It's this, and not the incredible number of other examples of human stupidity in the past year, let alone past thousands of years, that made me realize people can act incredibly irrationally for the most ridiculous reasons.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lee should probably sue.

For what? It's not like they fired him. They just switched him to another game.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blood Libel posted:

Nothing says bash the fash like getting a minority fired :bravo:

asiants arent minorities theres a lot of them in china probably more than white people, even

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
I guess I'm not seeing what the big deal is, here. They didn't fire him. They didn't tell him he can never call another UVA game again. They just figured this week wasn't the week to remind people about Robert E. Lee when they're sitting down to watch some college football. And so far as we know, he agreed with that assessment.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

cda posted:

For what? It's not like they fired him. They just switched him to another game.
Discrimination of some kind? I don't know what the laws are regarding name coincidence discrimination. ESPN are being really dumb here.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lee should probably sue.

For what? Racial discrimination of some sort?

I can't see that happening. Lee is not really an asian surname. :colbert:

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

FactsAreUseless posted:

Discrimination of some kind? I don't know what the laws are regarding name coincidence discrimination. ESPN are being really dumb here.

Yeah, but where's the discrimination? I mean, they have discretion about who calls what games. Again: they didn't fire him, they didn't even stop him from calling a game that week. They -- and so far as we know, he was included in that decision -- just decided to be overly cautious given the fact that we had a full blown murderous Confederate Nazi rally last weekend in Charlottesville. Was that much caution necessary? Probably not. But did it hurt anyone? I doubt it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

spacetoaster posted:

For what? Racial discrimination of some sort?

I can't see that happening. Lee is not really an asian surname. :colbert:

hhhhhhhhhhahahahahha there are more korean lee's than there are european or american

FactsAreUseless posted:

Probably could, if he cared, which it seems like he doesnt on the face of it. If he doesnt care then for the love of god dont anybody sue on his behalf

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

cda posted:

I guess I'm not seeing what the big deal is, here. They didn't fire him. They didn't tell him he can never call another UVA game again. They just figured this week wasn't the week to remind people about Robert E. Lee when they're sitting down to watch some college football. And so far as we know, he agreed with that assessment.

It's not a big deal, it's just funny because it's stupid

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I mean it sounds like he's willing to go along with it, but it's all intensely dumb.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

1gnoirents posted:

hhhhhhhhhhahahahahha there are more korean lee's than there are european or american

What?!?! Name one (other than the guy we're talking about). :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

cda posted:

Yeah, but where's the discrimination? I mean, they have discretion about who calls what games. Again: they didn't fire him, they didn't even stop him from calling a game that week. They -- and so far as we know, he was included in that decision -- just decided to be overly cautious given the fact that we had a full blown murderous Confederate Nazi rally last weekend in Charlottesville. Was that much caution necessary? Probably not. But did it hurt anyone? I doubt it.

ESPN also caught poo poo a couple weeks ago or something for a fantasy football ad where they auctioned a black man off to a room full of white guys so yeah they're probably being very cautious until things cool down.

• Locked thread