Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

zeal posted:

why's his hand a ghost

have you ever given yourself the stranger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
always seemed like too much rigamarole

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

lol if you dont have green transparent hands

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

this week i learned the lesson of michael pence: gundam horses are bigger than gundam men and theyll wear you out

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

zeal posted:

why's his hand a ghost

That hand of his is burning red! It's loud roar tells him to grasp victory!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
idk if I'll make the deadline but I finally up and got an airbrush setup so I'll post updates anyway as I get em

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I decided to try panel lining with a wash instead of a pen.

It didn't go great

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i had some success by just brushing the wash all over the piece and then wiping it all off, with the bits in the panel lines remaining. i prefer using gundam markers tho because they will magically outline non-panel-line curves which is witchcraft and i cant see myself ever doing that with paint.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Painted or unpainted though? I've never had a marker actually draw on painted surfaces, though I haven't used the pour types in this instance.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

the pour type definitely works on paint, cos thats how i ruined the backs of my dragonzord hi mocks feet. then i tried to clean it up with isopropyl and ended up blending the marker into the paint.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i git some gundamos (welll a gundam.and a zeke) and god drat did i miss building these dumb things. the gundam came with a cool bad pen for weathering, any tips on how to use it?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

i git some gundamos (welll a gundam.and a zeke) and god drat did i miss building these dumb things. the gundam came with a cool bad pen for weathering, any tips on how to use it?

yeah, urethral sounding

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

That's for panel lining.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

The starter kit Vol.1's pretty old, but they're still a solid pair of kits. And sorry for the impending loss of your disposable income as the urge to build more of them consumes you.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

the most important thing to know when you use a gundam marker for the first time is as long as you didnt sand the parts or spray em matte or somethin you can always fix any mistakes with a q tip so dont lose your poo poo when your first attempt looks like total garbage which of course didnt happen to me at all

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
yeah, i just assembled it outright and hosed around with the pen on some seams. the local shop is extremely chill; owner does elaborate airbrushing on motorcycle helmets of like dragons and mechs, so you know it's a very real spot.

i bought a few cheapo kits and got them all together within a few hours. gonna gently caress with painting the one gundam and then do some cheapo burner kits to practice different techniques. this poo poo's addictive, even my roommates are getting in on it lol

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
My airbrush came in the mail and I didn't realize the pressure gauge was set to max, so first time I turned it on the pressure kept rising until a safety valve kicked in and shut everything off

RIP air compressor users before the invention of safety valves

Anyway ima paint some buff wizards and poo poo

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
maschinen krieger is the coolest of this stuff

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Gripe is primed. And I got tips from the Gunpla thread so the panel lining will go way better than it did on the wings

I've been way too slow on this project. So I'm gonna Toxx on it. I will have this Gundam finished no later than next sunday. with the possible excpetions of decals, because I haven't decided if I'm gonna do them or tracked down a source for them yet

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Guys. I'm using water slides.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

nice! custom ones?

are you gonna put a big ashton kutcher face on your gundam?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

punchymcpunch posted:

nice! custom ones?

are you gonna put a big ashton kutcher face on your gundam?

This is my first time using waterslides, so ordering custom ones seemed like putting the cart before the horse. These have Russian words.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

If you've got a laser printer you can just get blank waterslide paper and print your own, I did this my first time because I reasoned that I could fill the sheet with redundant decals for when I made mistakes. But my actual mistake was getting transparent decal paper instead of I think white-backed, because they didn't show up very well unless I put them on light-coloured surfaces.

You can do it for inkjet too but I think there's an extra step where you spray poo poo all over the paper.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ah, I should've done that. Ended up ordering ceramic decals. Hope this little guy can withstand the 1300 degree firing process.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

welp, theres no way im gonna get mine done this month

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

punchymcpunch posted:

welp, theres no way im gonna get mine done this month

I hope you'll keep at it and post it even if it's after the deadline!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Amazon sent me my robot FROM JAPAN, so yah that took a while to get here.

Now I need to make it awesome and historic-ish..

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Legs and torso complete! Just head and arms left

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

moths posted:

Amazon sent me my robot FROM JAPAN, so yah that took a while to get here.

Now I need to make it awesome and historic-ish..

I ordered from hlj in early Feb and it still isn't here :(

Legionnaire Gundam may just show up late

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm almost done, just a little bit of work left on the head and shoulders. I'm actually gonna finish it today

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Got my color scheme figured out (thanks deviantart nerd who cranks out vectorized gundam pictures) and found a cool tutorial involving saran wrap to create a marble texture, this is gonna be fun

Maybe a little ambitious for someone who's never used an airbrush before but oh well!!!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It is complete! The Soviet Gundam!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I did have a cool plan for the wings being like camoflauge and then opening up to reveal the Gundam, but the drat wings broke. One of the joins just snapped and the wings are now useless. I'm also not a hundred percent satisfied with the decal placement, and I tried something new with the painting that didn't turn out as well as I would've liked but damnit I finished the thing and it's mine and I love it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
That's all that matters! Looks sweet!

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

that looks pretty cool

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

It is complete! The Soviet Gundam!

It needs the giant half-moon sword from the IBO Hugo kit, and the hammer from either the Gusion Gundam or Mock Army Set :colbert:.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Put on a black base coat with gloss, curing until color coats Tuesday :woop:

Airbrushing is a ton of work to set up and clean but man does it feel amazing to completely recolorize a kit. The shackles have been taken off me.

My biggest challenge so far has been getting the right thinner ratio, I think I'm going to wash and use these tiny paint jars for measuring once I've used all the paint. Doesn't feel good to mix stuff arbitrarily in the airbrush cup. I know some people prefer it that way but not my thing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

Put on a black base coat with gloss, curing until color coats Tuesday :woop:

Airbrushing is a ton of work to set up and clean but man does it feel amazing to completely recolorize a kit. The shackles have been taken off me.

My biggest challenge so far has been getting the right thinner ratio, I think I'm going to wash and use these tiny paint jars for measuring once I've used all the paint. Doesn't feel good to mix stuff arbitrarily in the airbrush cup. I know some people prefer it that way but not my thing.

Shotglasses are also good reuseable paint mix vessels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Word, that's a good idea. This is where I had in my C-SPAM card because I have no shot glasses.

Check out what a little floor polish (on the left) will do:

• Locked thread