Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going to post an obnoxious number of progress pics. Once my kit actually comes in. Which is supposed to happen tomorrow, but I'm in Houston so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
For people who have done this before, I have a question. I know that you're supposed to assemble the model into sub assemblies first. Like, you put together the forearm, and then you paint the forearm, and then you plug it in with the upper arm once you've done that part. But what do you do with pieces like the one I've indicated here

It's a bit that goes inside the shoulder, but once the shoulder is assmbled you won't be able to get to all of that bit. Do you paint that piece first, and then assemble the shoulder and do the rest of the shoulder? Or do you assemble the whole shoulder and then paint it, because only the part you'll be able to put paint on will show?

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
a friend of mine bought me the Wing Gundam v. Ka for my birthday and I think I'm going to put it together pretty soon. I haven't ever put together an MG kit (did a lot of HGUC stuff in HS along with the 1/60 God Gundam and a 1/100 Turn-A) so I'm pretty excited

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got a really dumb idea for my kit, hopefully all the miniature stuff I need comes in the right scale

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Guy Goodbody posted:

For people who have done this before, I have a question. I know that you're supposed to assemble the model into sub assemblies first. Like, you put together the forearm, and then you paint the forearm, and then you plug it in with the upper arm once you've done that part. But what do you do with pieces like the one I've indicated here

It's a bit that goes inside the shoulder, but once the shoulder is assmbled you won't be able to get to all of that bit. Do you paint that piece first, and then assemble the shoulder and do the rest of the shoulder? Or do you assemble the whole shoulder and then paint it, because only the part you'll be able to put paint on will show?

When I painted (I stopped because it was too expensive and I don't have any patience), I'd paint the inner part first, then assemble, then tape, then paint the outer part. Or paint the outer parts and assemble afterwards, but you might end up with an ugly seam line there.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Guy Goodbody posted:

my guess would be to tape over the inner joint, cut the tape to cover only the inner part, paint, then rip the tape off. the ball joint will make that tricky but it should still be doable i'd think

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

how much of a mess does spray paint make? if i use it in my garage am i gonna get it everywhere? if i use it outside is it gonna waft away on the breeze, over the fence, and drop all over my neighbour's roses?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

punchymcpunch posted:

how much of a mess does spray paint make? if i use it in my garage am i gonna get it everywhere? if i use it outside is it gonna waft away on the breeze, over the fence, and drop all over my neighbour's roses?

If you are concerned about mess, lay down flyers/newspapers. I'd just use it in the garage, though it is fine outside too

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
crusin' though hyperreality in my tiny robot thread at politic subforum

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Rushi posted:

crusin' though hyperreality in my tiny robot thread at politic subforum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwRlvn1v8Ns

Anime Ja Nai

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've ordered my Hi-mock but it might be as late as early October before it gets here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've ordered my Hi-mock but it might be as late as early October before it gets here.
Where do you live, the moon?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

same so i paid extra for expedited shipping

moon greetings nebakenezzer

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PMush Perfect posted:

Where do you live, the moon?

Canada

For reasons that I imagine have to do with protecting Canadian business cross-border shopping with the states takes a hella long time, getting stuff shipped from Asia or Europe is often quicker

punchymcpunch posted:

same so i paid extra for expedited shipping

moon greetings nebakenezzer

moon greetings fellow lunar dweller

may the winter giant see you and pass over

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Guy Goodbody posted:

Honestly I'd assemble first. Best case if you paint before assembling is you'll never see that detail again. Worst case is it makes the joint stick, making the robot hard to pose.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Same. When I did the last Mock group build, it cost as much to deliver the drat thing as it cost on its own, but I was lucky enough to find one in a weaboo brick and mortar store.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
got my extra parts in the mail! I'm going to make the proudest little tankie

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

moon greetings fellow lunar dweller

may the winter giant see you and pass over

Moon should be referenced by specific locations in this thread please. You are likely in Von Braun.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

punchymcpunch posted:

i dont imagine youll need much, get a large cardboard box and do it in the box, out of the garage

man i wanna do an aquatint now :allears:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i dont imagine youll need much, get a large cardboard box and do it in the box, out of the garage

man i wanna do an aquatint now :allears:

i knew there was a reason i started this cardboard box collection!

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I officially have taken this project down the dumbest and most complicated path possible, involving giant buildings and tiny cops. Now I just have to start actually building things.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I officially have taken this project down the dumbest and most complicated path possible, involving giant buildings and tiny cops. Now I just have to start actually building things.

There's a goon called Baronjutter in the Scale Modeling thread (in DIY) who makes amazing city dioramas, run your idea by him if you run into any troubles.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GOVERNMENT OVERRIDE RADIOACTIVE KINETIC ANNIHILATION, MISTER CHAPO

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
That's not a hi-mock

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

ScrubLeague posted:

That's not a hi-mock

thats not a mock :colbert:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

GOVERNMENT OVERRIDE RADIOACTIVE KINETIC ANNIHILATION, MISTER CHAPO

hahahahah whats all that fukken green poo poo

and that head has a face instead of balls like our lord ed demands? wtf u fukken noob!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

ScrubLeague posted:

That's not a hi-mock

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

hahahahah whats all that fukken green poo poo

and that head has a face instead of balls like our lord ed demands? wtf u fukken noob!

i literally didnt notice this wasnt the right kind of robot until one of you dumbasses pointed this out a n d i m h a l f r o b o t !

can you guess why?

heres a hint: it aint cuz im MOCK as gently caress!!!!!!!!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it says gunpla thread right in the title nerds we gonna gunpla to the end

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

ScrubLeague posted:

This is gonna be sick as hell I'm excited to see the gundams.

lol
lol

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

ScrubLeague posted:

That's not a hi-mock

oh yeah speaking of this

how far from the base hi-mock are we allowed to stray? cos i think i wanna dr moreau this poo poo

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

also does anyone know of a gundam whose head looks exactly like rita repulsa's

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

punchymcpunch posted:

oh yeah speaking of this

how far from the base hi-mock are we allowed to stray? cos i think i wanna dr moreau this poo poo

Imo, as long as there are still visible Hi-Mock parts, anything is fine.

punchymcpunch posted:

also does anyone know of a gundam whose head looks exactly like rita repulsa's

Maybe the Master Gundam?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

holy poo poo he has a gundam horsey

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

punchymcpunch posted:

yeah master Asia is awesome. you should watch g gundam if you haven't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AoN6mr3cQ8

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

punchymcpunch posted:

It's piloted by his actual personal horse iirc.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

wait what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

• Locked thread