Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hell yeah hi-mock challenge is on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My Hi-Mock is coming tomorrow! I cannot wait to construct the machine that kills fascists

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My Hi-Mock showed up! gonna start building after I finish my Patlabor

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SkunkDuster posted:

Should get mine on Monday. This will be an interesting departure from the aircraft I usually build. Do we post them here in this thread when finished?

yes

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got a really dumb idea for my kit, hopefully all the miniature stuff I need comes in the right scale

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
got my extra parts in the mail! I'm going to make the proudest little tankie

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I officially have taken this project down the dumbest and most complicated path possible, involving giant buildings and tiny cops. Now I just have to start actually building things.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GOVERNMENT OVERRIDE RADIOACTIVE KINETIC ANNIHILATION, MISTER CHAPO

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it says gunpla thread right in the title nerds we gonna gunpla to the end

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

all glory to soviet zeon

edit: Just finished assembling the "proper" way, with a hobby knife and sanding stick, even then, assembly only took me an evening while watching a show in the background. It's a really easy kit, just totally lame when it comes to weapons options, so I ordered some extras. Hope to see some progress posts soon!

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 06:55 on Aug 31, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Initial assembly complete, time to start priming and painting! Thinking about what sort of little details I could add to this scene...

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

how about some ejected shells?

Oooh! That would be cool, how would I go about doing that?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

Secret Weapon makes some, But I think they'll be too small. There's this guy who made some just by cutting up a hypodermic needle, they look like that would work better

poo poo, that's really creative. I'll give it a shot this weekend!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

hey are the guns molded into the right hand or just usually positioned there?

Actually it's a custom AK-12 I ordered online, I had to file the inside of the hand down to make it fit. But no, you can put a weapon in whatever hand you want.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Condiv posted:

i'm getting MG Sazabi ver ka for christmas!!

:swoon:

gently caress yeah, dude! I have the same one on the way too. I have that, the MG RX-78-02 Origin, Maschinen Krieger Falke, MG MS-18E Kampfer, and the Macross VF-1S in both Strike and Gerwalk modes along with a few Star Wars kits in my backlog, also the Metal Gear Sahelantropus which just showed up yesterday. Thing is fuckin' huge!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: nvm

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 20:53 on Sep 1, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So excited to start priming and painting my model this weekend, gonna try and figure out what to do for my buildings this weekend.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My fuckin' MG Sazabi Ver Ka that I thought wouldn't show up for another 3 weeks just turned up and gently caress me this box is Bigly! Yuge!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Condiv posted:

it's too bad gundam unicorn was a really dumb show

I just finished watching it and yeah it's really dumb

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've only watched Gundam 79, Thunderbolt:DS, Unicorn, and the first two Origin movies - what is the best of Gundam? I'm trying to track down Char's Counterattack at the moment.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks a ton, it's nice to have them in the background while I build. Most of my Hi-Mock extras showed up today! Very excited.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I did my first round of spray paint this morning! Gonna come back and do another round of something special after the paint cures, which I read somewhere is about 24 hours?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marx Headroom posted:

This thread inspired me to pick up my first gunpla (Graze, I love em!) and oh poo poo son these nippers have Japanese on them, no turning back now

welcome to the gunplalution, comrade

I have a Graze 1/100 and I hosed it up super bad and it's super flimsy so it's just sitting in a closet :(

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Painting update. So shiny! Do I topcoat before I go in with a Gundam marker to add the little black dots on the chest and the red eye, or after?

I also have a set of Soviet decals on the way :ussr:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's a good robot

Mecha Gojira posted:

Gloss top coat if you're going to do a wash or detailing, yeah. Then after the decals and wash, do a final topcoat.

You don't necessarily have to do a topcoat to paint the red mono eye or whatever, though.

Edit: Also, lookin' slick.

Thank ye thank ye both

My decals came in today! I haven't had much luck with water slides in the past so I'm hoping this gives me good practice, now I just need to figure out a layout for them.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not experienced at all and throwing poo poo to the wall to see if it sticks, but this has been a fun opportunity to go buckwild for the sake of C-SPAM fame

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

Be that as it may, here's my base coated Hi-Mock

I'm going to fight your Hi-Mock with my Hi-Mock (because yours is badass)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mecha Gojira posted:

should be a Barzam.

I only say this since I already have and assembled a Barzam...

BUT IT'S FUCKiN' TIGHT

BARZAM

I vote for this, but I also have a Efreet Schneid coming later this month and I got it solely because he was covered in motherfuckin' blades

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squizzle posted:

what is the etymology of the word gunpla

gundam + plastic modelling

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm still waiting on accessories from Japan to come in so I can procrastinate doing my waterslide decals

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Waterslide decals are a real fucker, but I'm making some decent progress!

e: War in the Pocket was fuckin' awesome, thanks whoever recommended it

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 07:16 on Sep 17, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ground Ball: KEEP ROLLIN EOLLIN EOLLIN KEEP ROLLIN RILLIN ROLLIN YEAH KEEP ROLLIN ROLLIN ROOOLLIN YEARGH

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

I need to completely redo the head, but beyond that edge highlighting complete

holy poo poo, I love the edgework on this

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holy gently caress

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

progress update: I suck at painting buildings

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

if anyone's in the tristate area or visiting NYC, Midtown Comics' has a pretty fun selection of gunpla, including some pretty obscure kits and sengoku SD's

There's three locations! The one by Times Square has the larger selection, Grand Central is okay but not so much. If you're looking for Gunpla overload, try DaShop Corporation in Chinatown.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm probably going to give up on this diorama thing, I tried jumping in blind and made a loving mess of things and don't think I'm gonna get a positive result out of it in time, but thankfully I have enough leftover bits and bobs to make a cool signpost for my class traitor GM to hold as he gets crushed by the superior tankie Hi-CHAD

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Here's mine again, I tried taking a decent photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

yeah i kinda wanna build another robot now :3:

yes... yes... that’s how it starts