Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
So.

Guess I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

Near-future superheroes with a dose of classical mythology rendered through a lens as 'hard' as my history teaching brain can make it. Two chapters up. Over a dozen in the wings. Weekly updates at present to ensure that I don't end up falling behind due to work/life/etc.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

On reflection, I've put up two more chapters, thereby starting it off with one from each POV character.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Japanese names are just kind of the Thing To Do in a lot of nerdy circles.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I got to poking around Royal Road in the course of getting more exposure for my serial (1.6 just went up) and, whooo boy, who knew that there was such a market for Trapped In An Anime Video Game stories.

edit: Also, submissions to WebFictionGuide are sloooow.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 19, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SerCypher posted:

So this is tangentially related to web serials, but I got into superhero stories from Worm and Super Powereds.

I never really liked DC/Marvel stuff, but for whatever reason I'm enjoying this new wave of fiction.

Is there any other stuff from any other authors in the genre people like? I have started Legion of Nothing as well. Doesn't have to be a web serial specifically, just thought I'd ask here as I've only read them in web serial format so far.

I've started one. It's still early days, though: eight chapters uploaded so far, about twenty written, Tuesday weekly updates.

I think it's a fairly different take on things to the other superhero stories out there, particularly the other superhero web serials I've seen around the place. I think the chapter coming up this Tuesday -- Chapter 9 -- is probably the clearest indication of what I'm going for.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 7, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Affi posted:

I just bought a cyoa called paradigm city and I drew some parallels. Is it inspiration or coincidence? Also haven't actually started reading yours yet.

I wrote Paradigm City. :)

edit: Not All Heroes is the same world, but three very different perspectives and exploring things I couldn't really do in-depth in a 2nd person CYOA. Kind of a sidequel. If PC was about being immersed in the government side of things, NAH is about three characters who are all outside of it -- the street vigilante, the injured ex-hero, the criminal thug.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

If it's a direct sequel, where do you even go when you ended on 'stop space-Cthulu from killing All The Earths'?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Steelheart's okay. I liked the first book well enough but, even so, it's very much a YA work.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Updated. I'm not going to usually spruik my own updates in here, but I think this chapter is a pretty good indication of the sort of thing I'm going for. It was one of my favorites to write, definitely.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 10, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

jon joe posted:

I haven’t read your serial yet, but I noticed you’ve already hit #18 on top web fiction. Good job man!

#17 now. That's pretty crazy! And it's #5 in the superhero category!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I can certainly appreciate writing under a pseudonym and trying to keep things close to your chest. It's pretty popular to determine whether something is bad or good based on the person behind it and not so much the craft of the work. I know a guy who was certain that WB was a woman because "they write the female characters so well", for example.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

That's a horrible idea. He's already been editing Worm for years alongside Pact and Twig, and publishing that even in pieces would defeat the purpose of shopping it around for publication. Publishers don't want something that's already been distributed.

Are you truly not familiar with John Dies at the End?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Which was pulled from the internet when he was in the process of shopping it around, the sequel got pulled after that, and he hasn't serialized a story since

This is orthogonal to my point.

"Publishers don't want something that's already been distributed" is not correct given that JDatE was published not only once but twice despite the fact that there were many PDF versions floating around online and Wong encouraged people to make copies, including hard copies, for their own use. I know this because I still have mine and the two different editions that were put into print. Additionally, works like Masters of the Universe/Fifty Shades. If the work is good, which Worm is, publishers will want it.

And, in a world where discussing self-made ebook reader files constitutes distribution enough to make publishers balk, then surely the whole work being available online does, too. And won't that be interesting if Worm has to follow that pattern you suggest.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 21, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I think I'll come back to these once Worm 2 has taken off in full. Chatlogs about unknown characters just isn't grabbing me.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Pretty cool of Armsmaster to show up in Thor 3, IMO.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Not that it really matters because for all of Taylor supposedly only being effective with prep time, she's remarkably good at improvising her way around all manner of problems anyway.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Reaching the end of Part 1, so, two chapters went up today (one was basically a bonus).

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Wb confirmed it wasn't that but it makes a lot of sense given who the new POV character is! gently caress! Holy poo poo!

Also there's a paragraph slash sentence that kinda just ends mid sentence in there who do I tell to fix it if I'm not going on Reddit

I'm pretty sure people just point that out in the comments of the part in question.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Not that I’m ready with it (finally got an editor, thank Christ) but what’s the S.O.P. on self promotion in this thread?

I've been doing it occasionally and no one's said to stop!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Just capped off Part 1 of my serial. Part 2 will be going up tomorrow instead of next week because I'll be out of the country then.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I think the audiobook has some good chapters (Miss Militia interlude), a lot of okay ones, and some ones that were truly dreadful.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Neurosis posted:

as fume went to get water and our protagonist went with her i groaned 'oh, god, time for the clumsy one on one character exposition about her background and her moral choices' and there it was and my eyes rolled out of their skull.

Sometimes I think that while WB's prose has improved from Worm his writing hasn't really. I wonder if this is because what happens when you accrue such a loud fan base so quickly.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Have to admit, though, I was hoping for something different. Good on him if that's his thing, though, but I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with Ward if it's just a bit more of the same.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Pact was like getting on this cool rollercoaster and just as it starts climbing and climbing it abruptly stops and just... flattens out and then suddenly it's over. I loved it but it feels like WB's work with the most unrealized potential.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 10, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Of course, the alternative is that the subtext isn't spelled out as clearly as it should be.

Flesnolk, those things never really improve. Particularly those elements of Wildbow's style. If you're not liking it now, it is unlikely you'll enjoy it later because some of those things -- such as the ineffectiveness of the PRT and such, or the fact that Taylor just keeps winning -- only get more obvious.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Flesnolk posted:

That and stylistic quibbles I'm sure have been discussed to death.

Not really. I wouldn't mind hearing further about them.

I think Ward is a bit better technically but I think those issues are still there.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

but there are a lot of reasons a lot of people like it.

Not to be too critical of Wildbow, because I kind of hate the fact that so many posts in this thread of mine are critical, but this thread has pointed out in the past that a lot of the reasons people like it are based on 'Taylor just keeps winning, I love that she's so badass!' and so on. Or things like 'everyone has a unique superpower' or 'wow, the numbers in this story are huuuuge, who would win between Superman and Scion?'

If those are the reasons why Flesnold doesn't like it, then they are unlikely to find something that suddenly turns them around. Especially, from what I remember, that the Coil arc ends in one of Tattletale's more dubious uses of her power. It's about the time that TT starts feeling like a crutch. He's already passed the single biggest moment that seems like a cool act of clever subtlety that's actually nothing like it at all. Those reasons don't really correct, the story just kind of supports them better.

I do hope they come back to talk about the stylistic issues, though. It might be illuminating, particularly because they're the sort of things I thought when I started reading Ward and I'm always down to see someone dissect writing.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 18, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

This thread just gets weirdly condescending when people say they don't enjoy Wildbow's stuff. We've had 'go back and read more slowly' (lol), 'listen to this podcast to 'get it' (lol again -- if you have to listen to a podcast to understand a work, then something's gone wrong along the way), lots of people like it (haha really?) and so on. I understand that some posters in here are pretty tied up with the Worm community, but those sorts of responses are not the best way of handling criticism. It is, as mentioned, defensive and condescending.

It's okay for people not to like Worm, or Wandering Inn, or Twig, or whatever. If someone's read 12/30 arcs, they're probably not going to turn around because they read any further. There are very few texts, of any kind, where things suddenly snap together in such a way to make however many hours of previously unenjoyable stuff suddenly good, particularly if you dislike how the author plots and how they write.

edit: Like, looking at the eight books I've read over the past six or so months, there's not one where if someone said 'I'm 40% of the way in and not liking it for the following reasons' I'd think that advising them to power through it would do them any good. Worm isn't a story where the core abruptly changes halfway through. It very much stays the same kind of story.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 18, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Flesnolk posted:

I find that the concept of the unreliable narrator often gets treated as a crutch, as well. People at times go "unreliable narrator! unreliable narrator!" as if the concept of a narrator potentially being unreliable is some kind of shield proof against criticism as opposed to an artistic device that can succeed or fail on its own merits. Speaking more on it in general than directly about how Worm handles (or doesn't handle) it.

Bingo.

Plorkyeran posted:

The seemingly similar but very different case of "I'm enjoying this story but X is bugging me" is where a justification for X may actually be helpful. If you enjoyed Worm but were frustrated with how the story bought into Taylor's biases because you missed the unreliable narrator aspect, then listening to WGW pointing out all the places where it happens will probably ease your frustration. This won't make you enjoy the story if you weren't already loving the good parts, though.

When a story buys into the biases of the narrator, it's called validation. It's about as far from 'unreliable' as you can get. Like, if you're going to play up the unreliable narrator, there should be instances where the story does not buy into Taylor's biases. A chapter where she vastly overreacts to something benevolent, for example. A chapter where she misreads something benign as Proof That The PRT Bullies People. Because that's what trauma does to people. Trauma is not some secret weapon that allows you to see the world clearly. More importantly, if a text requires you to go outside it to understand it, then it has failed. That last point is something you can find in all sorts of Guides To Writing.

But that would require her to fumble and fail, to risk changing as opposed to escalating, not to have more and more lampshades hung over why Taylor just keeps winning. Why was Taylor winning? Because Coil kept creating timelines where she won. And after that? Well, there's another reason. Some people might think the explanation is fine, others might recoil from it because it removes the agency of the characters. One of the very first things we are told about Taylor, from what I remember, is that she needs time to prepare and she's bad at improvising. But then she just... isn't. Huge things change on the spur of the moment and she thinks her way through them without difficulty, or things conspire, like the aforementioned Travelers, to bail her out.

edit: It's like the big reveal that there are alien shards in people's brains that compel them towards conflict. It's the sort of thing that severely undercuts its own story and doesn't seem to be anything other than justification for the criticism that 'things just keep escalating'. Depending on your perspective on storytelling, it's a piece of worldbuilding that might actively harm the story of Taylor while not really reinforcing it.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 19, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, I have to admit, that post misses the thrust of the point.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Xun posted:

Do webserial authors usually take well to criticism or would it be an futile effort resulting in getting dogpiled by fans?

The only one I can vouch for is myself, and I'd welcome honest criticism -- hell, I've reached out to certain people in this very thread for it!

I don't recall seeing any of the 'big names' take criticism one way or the other.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Uh-oh Flesnolk, looks like someone's better at reading than you are!

You might want to play through The Beginner's Guide.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

:monocle: Well, I never! [taking exception that someone would make an insult] [making an insult] right back at you!

You claimed that the story was both too subtle or too blunt for you, and someone who read less than you did comes along and basically nails it. You got a lot wrong and then blamed it on the author. It's not that I care that you're not a fan, it's that you overextended by pronouncing people's interpretations as way oversold, but you don't actually know what you're talking about. For example, the "theme of cooperation over competition" is actually both affirmed and heavily subverted, and clues about how effective Taylor's power is are in there from beginning (implicitly) to end (where they are called out).

So are you on this forum as a form of narrative control for someone else's first draft or what.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

What, I can't just chat as a person? My account is nine years old. I'm here because I'm here. Stop beating around the bush and just tell me you want me to get out because I'm being annoying.

Your post history in this thread makes it clear that you're not just a person, though. You toe every party line, push the author mythology, you handle some parts of the upload machine, you set up Wordpress stuff, and so on and so on. I'd be just as concerned if I saw someone doing the same for me under the guise of having a discussion, particularly if they were involved in my creative machine.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 26, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Calef posted:

Wildbow actually pretty aggressively doesn't advocate for any particular reading of worm. That's not to say he isn't prodigious in his Word Of God output, but the fandom was collectively pretty Team Taylor until relatively recently.

poo poo, when I used to be active in the Worm fandom I got downvoted into oblivion for pushing the controversial idea that the theme is cooperation over competition.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Even a great author would have trouble keeping a literally ten thousand word dialogue scene interesting. It doesn't help that the chapter doesn't exactly begin or end with a bang or a wham moment. It just kind of slumps along.

I understand the feeling that, in web fiction circles, more words = better than, but I really think Wildbow needs people telling him to write less and not more. He could punch up the dialogue if he wasn't writing so much of it in the first place. But part of the Wildbow 'mythology' is basically 'he updates so much and so frequently'.

Ten thousand words is, like, 5-10% of the last novel I read. I swear it'd be two or three chapters in one of the Expanse novels.

edit: Similar to what I said to Doc, I kind of feel like I need to recuse myself from writing discussions because I don't want to risk coming off as 'that guy who hacks at Wildbow's knees to try and make himself look better'.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 28, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

When it comes to fiction writing, volume wins out over quality. That's not just part of Wildbow's stick. You see the same trend in pulp sci-fi and romance writers. Unless one is superhumanly talented or extraordinarily lucky, cranking poo poo out is the most reliable way to earn a living. And in a line of work practically built on quicksand, reliable counts for a lot.

Maybe it's unfortunate from a reader perspective because you can look and see where an author might do better, but from where they stand, continually laying track before an oncoming train, the prospect of paying all their bills probably looks a lot more compelling.

If Wildbow is writing hand-to-mouth, so to speak, then he's making a terminal error and it's no wonder he's writing something like that. It's weird because he even says that you should have something like twelve chapters in advance, which allows you to spend time editing and punching things up before uploading. His comments on that chapter make it seem like he is writing hand-to-mouth and, well, I'm not sure why. He has three years of goodwill and one of the most zealous fanbases on the net. He should try spending that political capital.

If WB is in the 'laying track before an oncoming train' creative trap then, well, that's unfortunate. But I really do not think that even just cutting it in half to 5000 words, which I'd still argue would be too long for what that scene is, would not result in anything negative such as a backer revolt.

Saying that volume matters more than quality might be true in the most cynical sense of trying to make a living via creativity. But it's also how you end up with things like that one author on Amazon who calls himself 'the most successful self-published author' on there or whatever because he sells dozens of actually incomplete, unfinished stories (some of them just ending mid-sentence, like he just stopped writing) and makes money because some people will buy anything.

edit: Like, are you saying he isn't talented, lucky or an author? Because even with my misgivings of his style and writing, he has enough talent to complete works, was lucky enough to make something that was basically crack to the brains of certain fanbases around the net (or talented enough to craft something deliberately to do so), and I think it's safe to say he is an author at this point.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 28, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SerCypher posted:

I really liked the latest practical guide to evil.

Every so often in these serials, you come across a chapter where you can tell the author is excited, that they've been waiting to write that particular bit.

TBQH, that's one of the biggest things I wonder about when I upload a chapter because, well, it's true. There are chapters you can't wait to write and finish and put out there and there are ones where you're like 'Well, this is okay, I guess.'

For example, the most recent chapter I put out is one that fitted into the first category even if it's a really simple chapter.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Defiant could absolutely build an AI, particularly with all the knowledge he has with Dragon. His specialty being making things more efficient (not smaller; see the bit where he talks about the implants in his leg in his interlude) is one of the more broader ones in Worm.

Like, the dude has built a variety of ludicrous weapons and armor suits, a lie detector program, did a bunch of the work on the Endbringer tracker, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Sometimes I feel like I'm crazy for running my chapters through something like Grammarly and another pair of eyes when I read some recent uploads.

Of course, I've also been told it's done deliberately to promote engagement via corrections, so, maybe I'm the fool.