Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Peachfart posted:

There is a lot of stuff out there that starts off interesting and then gets bad, in either a bad writing way or a 'this content is weird/creepy/racist' way. Paranoid Mage for one example. I would rather know those things if someone else has found them so I don't waste my time on what will ultimately be a disappointment.
Edit: And also I don't have to take someone else's advice, it is just a consideration point. Like I'm not going to stop reading TWI because about a third of the people here don't like it.

And often you're not really sure if the author is working their way towards something with the weird development or if the story is just bad now so you keep reading it for a bit and then one day you realize you've been reading a story you hate for months and get mad at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I'll generally click on shoutouts if it sounds at least mildly interesting and the author has actually read the storing they're shouting out. The ones where it's just the synopsis of something they haven't read seem totally pointless.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

If you're making a living writing what you now realize is trash, there's also probably a bit of concern that changing your writing too much could result in you no longer making a living off it.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Walh Hara posted:

Mother of Learning? Not saying the ending was perfect, but it was always clear when the story would end and due to a story detail readers knew the author wouldn't keep postponing the end forever.

MoL's ending was pretty bad. The actual climax of the story was getting out of the time loop, and everything after that was superfluous.

Serialized fiction in any form - be it TV shows, comics, book series, or whatever - rarely have good endings. The business model misalignment certainly isn't unique to web serials, and at least web serials don't do the TV show thing of "you can't resolve things because your ratings are too good and we want more seasons" into "oops your latest season flopped so now you're cancelled". A "good ending" for a TV show generally just means one which didn't retroactively make everything before it suck. I don't think I've ever read the end of a book series longer than a trilogy which gave me a stronger feeling than "eh I guess it's over", but I'm also not sure how many complete series I've actually read. A glance at my book shelf suggests that most series I've started I either dropped at some point, the author died, or the series is theoretically in progress but hasn't had a new book in forever.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like the issues with MoL's ending were more a gradual process throughout its latter half or so. I don't think it retroactively soured anything (other than the Red Robe reveal being a bit lame), but more just lost some of what made its earlier parts good (namely the more deliberate pacing and heavy focus on characters).

Yeah, it absolutely didn't ruin the story and I still think the long middle stretch of MoL between when Zorian stopped being an obnoxious PoV and when all of the mysteries were resolved are excellent. I just think that the story basically resolved everything and was ready to wrap up well before the plot ended, and you could replace a bunch of the final chapters with a short summary of the events without really losing much. Ideally there would have been interesting character beats related to Zorian readjusting to life outside the loop, but I didn't feel like those really hit.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Umineko: When the Seagulls Cry. It's the best of both worlds! It's the simplest solution! It's extremely obvious, people!

The main fuckup is that higurashi was originally released as just “When They Cry” and for some reason sticking with that exact phrase was a requirement. Both works have names that are trivial to translate and obviously go together in English if they just leave it as “the cicadas” instead of “they”.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

uPen posted:

It’s really good until you catch up, the 1-2 updates a month is rough.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to come back to it in 6 months or something.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

When he first started posting it I thought "ah, this is the harem smut AU since the main story pivoted away from that". I was very wrong.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Not really. Number Man gives a population number for Earth Bet in 2011 that's basically the same as the population number for our Earth in 2011 (edit: it's a difference of 1%.) The dystopian, apocalyptic elements of Earth Bet's culture and society are drastically overstated by the Worm fandom.

The story is fairly contradictory about the state of the world. We're told that major cities have been destroyed and global shipping isn't a thing, but also the world is somehow almost identical to the real world in spite of that. This is a fairly standard thing in superhero fiction, but it feels weirder in Worm because of how it deconstructs many of the standard tropes but then just does a "idk cauldron is making things work" for why the world is so unchanged.

The fanbase certainly does overstate things, though. People seem to confuse "Kyushu is gone" for "Japan is gone" an awful lot.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Raina being Perfectly Normal is fun, but the rest of the story isn't very fun. I was expecting a cast of weirdos where Raina acts like the straight man but is actually the most insane one, but instead the rest of the cast is just sort of dull. The worldbuilding asides aren't completely uninteresting, but they're too frequent and they don't really give me the impression they're building towards something. If they were setting up a reveal that the society is nowhere as rational and efficient as they think they are that could be pretty interesting, but I doubt that they are.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

That does sound like a pretty interesting and novel concept and I wish it had been better translated into a story.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Wildbow has been consistently opposed to any form of monetization beyond writing lots of words and hoping people give him money.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

He tried that and the editor told him to delete some words so he got mad and decided editors were bad.

(This may not be an entirely accurate description of the events).

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I think he made a big mistake in not monetizing Worm 5-10 years ago, but the window's definitely passed.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Crossroads of Twilight does exist and is sort of known for not beginning or ending a single story arc or having any sort of climax. Certainly not common, though.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I am the opposite of "wait 6 months for some more backlog then catch up". With very few exceptions, if I don't mostly keep up with a story as it updates I will never read it again.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The thing that got me to finally drop Millennial Mage was the second authorial screed about how women exist to have babies complete with the tradcath meme about how a woman who is a scientist has wasted her life because she could have given birth to multiple scientists instead.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

:stare: I gave up on it because it was kinda boring now she was setting into a city. I don't remember that.

It was after she got kidnapped and then made it back to human civilization, so a few arcs after where you dropped it. In retrospect those arcs were kinda boring and dropping where you did would have been better.

LLSix posted:

:stare: The MC is a female battle mage :psyduck:

Although I guess the MC modeling her powerset after traditional not-Greek heroes should have been a warning sign in retrospect. I just assumed the author wasn't aware of how rapey Greek heroes were.

Mages live a long time so it wasn't "you need to drop anything and have some kids now" but rather "you can spend a few decades running around doing things but eventually you'll grow up and decide to squeeze out a dozen babies" ("dozen" not actually being an exaggeration).

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Those aren't Tala's thoughts. It was the older wiser advisors giving Tala advice, and nothing in the story even hinted that we should think that they are wrong.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Pirateaba writing over 3k words to explain that they intend to spend less time writing is the most pirateaba thing.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

That's pretty much the premise of the story.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Etzoli went through a rough few years between working in a healthcare-adjacent job during covid and then having her house destroyed, but it sounds like things have recently finally settled down for her a bit.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

imnotinsane posted:

Maybe it's because I've never really looked for it but I am surprised there aren't more books with the plot being returning from Narnia and how this great big adventure had truly messed up your life.

Well I guess I kinda know why there isn't more, I don't think it's super fun to read or write about the adventures of PTSD.

Epilogue isn't the only story I've seen attempt it, but it is the only one that I would recommend and there really isn't much you can do with the idea. You can do a power fantasy where the isekai is just semi-relevant backstory, a story about PTSD, or a story where people aren't completely hosed up by the experience and a few chapters in you realize you don't actually have a story.

I guess you could go the Full Metal Panic route and do a few books of mostly lighthearted fish out of water comedy where the person's inability to readjust is played for laughs, only to abruptly pivot into "you've been laughing at a child solder's PTSD this whole time you monster".

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

ValleyOfWalls posted:

Finished Bioshifter (which recently wrapped up on Patreon). Recommended if you feel like being emotionally devastated by lesbian disaster monster girls in a split isekai/urban fantasy setting. I imagine this criteria probably limits the possible audience here, but it really resonated with me. Reading those author notes though, man… hope they’re doing okay.

I'm pretty sure Thundamoo varies between "not doing okay" and "very not doing okay".

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I got bored with Catgirl Chef before reaching the end, but it's (very stupid) fun for a while.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Dream Weaver posted:

There's some rule in heist writing where if you detail the plan, then it's destined to fail(detailed before it begins). The obvious thing is that if you don't tell the plan, then it's supposed to succeed. It's part of the genre. As someone who has written a fantasy heist and a sci-fi heist (stealing a spaceship, anyone?) you have to be a little opaque about these types of things.

An obvious corollary is that if you're going to write heists your story probably shouldn't be written in the first person (or tight third person).

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

nrook posted:

It’s very funny to imagine Zorian doing that, however

Trying to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The impression I’ve gotten is that the fanfic on RR is usually the stuff that isn’t hard targeted at specifically the group of people who have spent years reading fanfic for that story. It tends more towards being a story that happens to be set in a preexisting setting rather than something which expects you to know every little detail of the original work (and a bunch of fanon things too).