Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Aware posted:

6 full length novels of silveran cleaning increasingly difficult things and getting sweet skills

There's Cinnamon Bun I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can someone tell me which Practical Guide is which?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A question about Practical Guide to Evil (Book 3)

A Tyrant has arisen in Helike. Does that mean that Dread Empress Malicia is not a Tyrant? Or does the fact that Names are bound to cultures mean there can be a Prasean Tyrant and a Helikean Tyrant simultaneously and seperately?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kyoujin posted:

It's been while but iirc, Malicia is Dread Empress. She can still act like a tyrant but she is Empress while in Helike is the Tyrant with a capital T.

When the Heiress is listing the notable Names of Prasea and what she considers their proper place to be she speaks of the Tyrant who molds the empire to their will, the Seneschal who leads from behind, the Warlock who crafts wonders and the Black Knight who crushes heroes. So I figured that the person who hold the title of dread emperor / dread empress usually has the Name of Tyrant.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Does she actually capitalize Tyrant there? IIRC Tyrant (the Name) is historically something that just popped up in Helike, one of the Free Cities (or whatever they're called). Also I'm guessing you meant Chancellor instead of Seneschal.

She capitalised Tyrant and uses the term repeatedly

Chiaroscuro posted:

“Praes is a story,” she said. “A Tyrant to lead us. A Black Knight to break heroes. A Warlock to craft wonders. A Chancellor to rule behind them. And an Empire like clay, to shape into the tool they need: an entire nation built to empower the ambitions of a single villain.”

quote:

“But she doesn’t, Fasili,” Akua said. “This whole time we’ve been trying to win the same way we did with the Maleficents of the Terribilises of olden days. Acknowledging she has touched greatness but knowing that to grow again the Empire needs a fresh Tyrant. One still hungry.”

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

The answer to this is yes she could, if she could set up a rule-of-three.

She’s a Villain and he’s a Hero. The rule-of-three would never favour her.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

quote:

Duna was an odd goddess. Even though her portfolio looked abhorrent at first glance, she gave access to healing magic. According to her priesthood, all things were going to die eventually, and Duna was eternal and not in a hurry. So in order to maximize death, one did not need to kill, but to heal. The total number of deaths depended on the birth rate, not on bloodshed, and so the goddess of entropy somehow ended up acting more like a fertility goddess than anything else. The government declared her legal to pray to, though they also officially warned against trying to rise in her priesthood, as her followers tended to have rather strange ways of looking at the world that were not considered mentally healthy.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

And I'll have you know that Rania is a perfectly normal elf. Her parents had the perfectly normal 2.5 children.

It is a legally provable fact that she is perfectly normal.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Villainess
Neo-Anguish will have no interest in returning to the world she will have only just left, so Rosa is safe from her. But what's protecting her from the other six Viles? Is the assumption that they will be too distracted by the civil war to do anything?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Same...I'm always disappointed when I get far into a story and realize there isn't going to be a harem

It’s legal to post stories on RR without a harem?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I not infrequently have dreams where I find some cool new content (videogame, website etc) that I really like and I desperately try to commit the name to memory so I'll be able to look it up when I wake up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

gonadic io posted:

Oh poo poo what if the supposed dream abberation thing is just Merlin's personality locked away

That personality wouldn't exist yet. Merlin aged backwards, meaning Siobhan will become Merlin in the past

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Huh, good to know. Perhaps this knowledge will help prevent the occasional teeth falling out dream.

It doesn't.
I have dreams where one my teeth falls out and I jam it back in its socket. And then I have a vague memory of having done this many times and wonder just how many of my teeth have previously out and are now just resting loosely in their sockets.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

nrook posted:

Oh, yeah, the series certainly softens its perspective and adds complexity as it goes on. And even in the early stuff there's a lot going on behind the immediate picture you see; as you mention, there are certainly a lot of times where it's not at all clear the world is better off for Cat having ever been born. I was just talking about the basic premise.

I’m still very early in the series but it seems to me the main thing that would make the world better off is someone killing all the loving gods. It can’t improve until that happens.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

as someone who has read all 3, wtc is so drastically better than the other 2 its not even funny. It also does not try to be funny, so it also has that going for it.

Wtc is good but it’s also pretty heavy. Not popcorn reading.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LLSix posted:

I've been rereading the web serial (comic) Order of the Stick. Anyone got suggestions for similarly lighthearted fun stories?

Can you believe the first page was posted way back in 2003?

(instantly crumbles into dust)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Forgiveness is healthy, holding on to anger is not.

OTOH it can be good and healthy to protect yourself from people who have harmed you. And that might involve removing their ability to do harm.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Presumably someone with more to sacrifice could pay off chains faster than someone who can only reduce themselves from the normal-human-baseline

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Clearly we need three threads. One for soup only, one not for soup, and one with both.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

She just needs to play some Alice Cooper to explain why she's good at poisons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cerebon was fun but stories with daily updates have ruined me so much that fortnightly feels glacial.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm reading Slave Origin Playthrough at the moment. I hesitate to say it's good, but I'm continuing to read it so it must have something. Very slight twist on the LitRPG elements in that there's no such thing as a status screen - the reader can see the system messages but the protagonist is just making educated guesses at what must be happening.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Just read and enjoyed Super Minion. I hate getting to the end of something and finding it's dead, somehow feels much worse then all the stories that I get to the end and they're still updating and then I never get around to catching up on them.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

technically they're still alive in the first Nier, kind of, sort of

at least assuming I didn't forget all the plot twists in that game

For given values of ‘alive’. And ‘human’.