Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

I didn't read that far into Pact, but from what I remember, Blake was a fairly conventional good guy who was a "diabolist" only by chance. I guess you could say he's morally in the wrong for not just letting his enemies kill him early on because of the potential threat he posed just by existing, but that's a very harsh standard to hold someone to. (Maggie, on the other hand, was pretty dark. Is she really supposed to be a YA novel protagonist?)

Written with the right focus, without Blake in the story, Maggie would basically be Harry Potter with a constant stream of fart jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Pretty apparent at this point that the WMGs were pointless, this group is OCs, possibly ones that group triggered on gold morning. People have done some ARG-type manipulation to the number username and got something about March, who was supposedly Foil/Flechette's nemesis and part of her group trigger, and so it likely the gunslinger.

It would be interesting if Tats ended up as an antagonist in this one, but I suspect she'll be more of a Charlie.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Mlekk was the best hashtag free mlekk

Unless there's some typos going on, I think that account was banned for impersonating mlekk.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Jade Mage posted:

Weaver dice is a fun concept, but he clearly is a writer not a game designer. That said, I've played it a few times and had a blast, so maybe I'm not giving him enough credit

The amount of fun you can have with a bad game and good players is very high, much higher than what you can get with a good game and bad players. It's not a very good game, but as long as everybody's into it and nobody's being That Guy, you can still have a ton of fun.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Silynt posted:

I very much enjoyed the most recent Practical Guide, specifically the back and forth between Squire and Warlock. I thought the dialogue between them was some of the best in the series. And I'm intrigued by the hypocrisy in Warlock's stance on Cat - not the one she calls him out on, which is totally justified (he is every bit the monster he accuses her of being) - but that he seems to hate her for the threat that she represents to his best friend through her existence as his "replacement". How is that situation any different from Apprentice and Warlock? We just saw Apprentice transition into another Mage name, so why would he not assume that she could or would do the same? He claims that she will be the death of Black, but Masego wasn't the death of Warlock.

It's because Black seems to be forcing the story such that Cat is his replacement and the continuation of his work, and Warlock can tell.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Affi posted:

Honestly it's either Black Queen. Because she is going down that path herself. In which case Black Knight is probably spared.

Possibly Black dies and she takes his place.

More probable is she becomes White Knight because that is probably the only way her side will "win". gently caress the gods game just flip over the table.

I want to believe it's black queen because the march of the black queen talks about going into heaven and coming back out, and if this whole thing is an extremely long game queen reference, it would be amazing.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tzarnal posted:

I think one of the limitation of squire means she cannot step into Black Queen even if it is a new one. That doesn't mean she can't transition into a new Knight title though. Winter Knight has a nice ring to it.

I'm honestly much more concerned with Killian, I'm really hoping that goes somewhere else than "and then I stopped and never loved again because woe is me I'm so sad and a monster and doomed to make the same mistakes as Black".

She definitely can, the angel offered her Queen.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Dread Emperor Irritant I is second only to Traitorous as best Dread Emperor.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

lurksion posted:

Practical Guide
No longer Squire I'm going to say

Also now strongly suspecting Black in the takedown of the old guard generals. Clean slate for Cat.

I know that the song is supposed to be The Girl Who Climbed the Tower, but in my heart, it will always be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBMBbf6mLJs

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

Practical: I hope that wasn't supposed to be your killing blow, Cat. No one's ever dead if you didn't see the body.

She hasn't even brought out the monster yet, and my money's on it being a mind controlled Black. Cat 100% doesn't expect to win at this point, she's only a third of the way through, maybe 40% now. Her continuing to not even play the same game as anybody else keeps being great, though.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Prac Guide. Holy poo poo.

I become more sure by the chapter that Cat's real rival is Wandering Bard, and she's going to become a villainous counterpart. Possibly followed by breaking free of -that- and tearing down the system entirely, because gently caress yeah, militant atheism.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

e: I wish Anaxares was the main character, frankly.

This. I want him to team up with Black and go full militant atheist, tear down all the gods, above and below.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

It's a criticism of Wildbow's writing (and a lot of web fiction) in general. It happens a lot in Worm too, but people explain it away as a function/side effect of the Queen Administrator shard.

not so much 'people' as 'the story', it's explicitly pointed out in story as a thing Taylor does. Whether that's a handy excuse for Wildbow writing a bit robotic at times is another matter, but 'Taylor shunts her emotions and the tells that go with them off into her bugs' is explicitly there in text.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

I think it can work, but it has to both suit the work and have a reader who enjoys it. DBZ's plot is goofy and stupid but I enjoy it, because it's explicitly written around "Big, dumb, affable guy gets stronger to fight stronger enemies". Likewise sports underdog stories are explicitly designed around getting awesome and overcoming bigger and bigger odds, so they work.

With something like Practical Guide though, that's not the story that I personally wanted to read; it was entertaining as heck, but if I wrote my own personal practical guide fanfic it would focus on the politics and on Catherine's coming of age story as told by her rise from gladiator kid to military officer to politician, and the way those transitions color and change her opinion of the very world view and ideals that motivated her to get there. There's room for fights there, and I thought the early legion battles were fantastic, but even though I can see and appreciate the Calamities/Woe parallels and stuff related to dealing with the universe's story fixation, I don't really care that she's become a one-woman wrecking crew who can jump into a city full of demons and singlehandedly fight her way through literal hell to beat up the jerk who busted the place up. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not the kind of story the first book had me anticipating.

It's totally the story that I want to read, though. It's becoming more clear that it's not really good vs evil, it's law vs chaos, Shin Megami Tensei style, and much like SMT, the only sane thing to do is to go militant atheist, kill god, take their place, and remake the universe into a better place.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

This is purely head canon, but in worm I always thought that Jack's actual shard being the broadcast one, and his power technically being to broadcast knives across long distances was kind of bizarre.

Speech is just us firing low powered sonic cannons at each other. There is nothing inherently safe about any of the mediums we use for broadcast communication, why would space parasites be any different?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I thought that the thing Citrine mentioned about "normal" capes being inherently inclined towards combat/conflict and Cauldron capes basically being the exception to that kind of interesting. It might make sense, depending upon whether the aspect of the shard that encourages conflict remains active with the Cauldron formula capes*, though Citrine is making a pretty big assumption with the idea that Cauldron capes aren't affected by this. In general, Cauldron formulas have always been kind of weird; I don't really understand how they managed to create them, given I don't think Contessa's power should work with entity-related things, including creating the vials. How do they deal with the absence of that weird brain organ natural parahumans have? I just don't see how these weird multidimensional shard things that connect with a special brain organ the entities create in the brains of potential parahumans are somehow converted into drinkable vials.

* I feel like this tendency to act in a way leading to conflict is a big reason that it's a terrible idea to give a lot of power/authority to a natural parahuman like Tattletale; even if her intentions are good, there's a good chance her actions will end up somehow leading to more conflict.

It seems pretty clear that the formula grows those new brain bits as part of the deal, and that's at least part of why using a formula on someone who already has them tends to go wrong. It's probably part of the "Balance" formula that's connected to letting the shards successfully adapt to powering up humans. As for Contessa's power, the restrictions on it are nebulous and last minute. We know she can foresee trigger events, and even force them, but we also know that she can't foresee the results thereof. It's entirely possible that "making a thing that will create an artificial trigger" falls on the visible side of that line, while seeing the results definitely doesn't.

As far as conflict drive, we don't really know if that's inherent to shards or part of the adaptation to humanity that's represented by the "Balance" formula. Theoretically, the absence of conflict drive could be tested, but not ethically, because it's the driving force behind parahumans going literally insane if kept from using their powers long term. The conflict drive is pretty overblown in general, though. What Wildbow has said about it mostly amounts to the effects being essentially indistinguishable from the mental effects of being badly traumatized and given power, except in a few relatively rare cases of powers with major mental effects like Burnscar and Labyrinth. In general, the conflict drive is fundamentally indistinguishable from the entities precog-filtering out anybody who would get the powers and then use them in ways that aren't conflict.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 10, 2018

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

I can't remember where in the text this is touched upon, but she very explicitly had a trigger event and is interfaced with a Thinker shard. I believe there's mention of the entities conquering cybernetic and otherwise technologically-augmented races prior to humans, so I always assumed the connection was technobabble lifted from one of those civs.

Even if you require non-in-world confirmation, Wildbow's said that Dragon is actually a thinker, not a tinker. Her power is the ability to understand tinker bullshit, which is why she's been successful in turning a number of things into reproducible tech. That's functionally indistinguishable from being a tinker specialized in poo poo other tinkers build, of course, so it's mostly academic.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SITB posted:

Prac guide: until Cat and Masego wake up.

Suppose that cat's body is not in flux because of the strike, but because it weakened her enough that Akua is making a play to take it over, and may, at least temporarily, win.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Well, I hope somebody picks up that phone, because I loving CALLED IT. I'm just glad that it was obvious enough in character that they took precautions, and they actually worked!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SerSpook posted:

More Practical Guide: Anyone else getting the sense that part of Pilgrim and Saint's plan is to try to turn Catherine? The Heavens have tried it once already after all, and the exchange late in the interlude about how what's going on isn't a villain's story and then Saint questioning Pilgrim if he's sure of what he saw--sure that she desires peace--suggests that's something being considered at least.

If Saint and Pilgrim can catch Cat while she's deep enough in the fey (once she returns) they may be able to trap her into a redemption narrative the way she trapped her retroactive father into getting killed.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tzarnal posted:

snip a whole lot of dumb poo poo ranting about Black

Who the gently caress is talking about Black? He's her adoptive father figure, not her retroactive one. I'm talking about her literally trapping the winter prince into a narrative where she had been his prophesied daughter destined to kill him all along.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SITB posted:

Prac Guide: Akua fully leaning into her Cat roleplay and enjoying this poo poo was great. Particularly her attempts to articulate the correct counter taunt.

EDIT: and Akua dunking on (possibly) not-Dreseden

Holy poo poo, that was a loving brilliant chapter. Akua's return is, as far as I'm concerned, entirely justified by the existence of this chapter. Pure wall to wall brilliance.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

My mind was blown at the revelation that Juniper has hair.

Catherine occasionally mentions how she has to remind herself that, despite being likeable, Black is bad. But I'm not really seeing what Black is doing wrong in the specific context of their world, and I get the impression that he would be okay with less executions if it could produce the same outcome. It's not clear to me what Catherine would do differently.

Black is trying to win the game by forging a new, less super, more banal evil.

Catherine is going to end up flipping the table entirely and just ending the game.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Cicero posted:

Black's evil doesn't even sound very evil most of the time. Most of the political fights and sniping each others' Named are things that both sides engage in, Black is just better at it.

My theory is that we're not actually dealing with good and evil here, but shin megami tensei order and chaos. Those tend to overlap varyingly with good and evil.

Black is essentially trying to move the empire's chaos away from evil enough that it becomes effective.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 8, 2018

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Affi posted:

I agree for the most part. However the gods below are obviously order and not chaos. Easy mistake to make because you usually think chaotic evil and lawful good. I do at least.

Above: different choirs with different agendas and methods, procer is a tangled mess of small kingdoms, hordes of throw away named. Wandering bard throwing wrenches everywhere. Bumbling conjurer, rogue sorcerer (just the names really) It goes on and on.

Below: devils are lawful, the tower is order, gods below have no obvious schisms. Small close knit teams of named or even solo named.
The legions. Black is self evident, he’s described as a methodical machine. Warlock and hierophant (categorising and trying to figure out how he world works) (compare it to rogue sorceror, bumbling conjurer, witch of the woods) (name wise it reeks of chaos)

I’m counting demons as outside the whole devils and angels (and I think the story also mentions this)

Hard disagree. Individual nations may look disorderly, but fundamentally, the empire is absolutely SMT chaos, which is all about the strongest ruling regardless of where they started. The current Dread Empress was a barmaid when it all began, and that's a story that fundamentally is not allowed in the 'good' nations, where such a person would turn out to have been a noble all along, and therefore have the right to rule, like they offered Catherine when she pulled the sword out of the stone.

Essentially, SMT Order is about hierarchies and how you're not allowed to step outside them, while Chaos is about the only hierarchy that matters being power.

Hell, even your examples point to that. Villains are about taking as much power as you can for yourself, however you can get it, while heroes are about doing what you can with what you're given, accepting the decree of the heavens because they're above you.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 9, 2018

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

We're talking about a world here where there is an entire nation dedicated to building flying death palaces and shouting "Your doom is upon you, fools!" and "Who dares?!" from the tallest tower.

More, even, because Tyrant has shown that behavior like that is -actively rewarded-, so it's entirely likely that adding overwrought badass chants to your casting actively improves your spells.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

RIP Black https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwV61t_Tec8

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

tithin posted:

Two new Prac Guide out, one interlude one main chapter. main chapter's shorter than I'd like but something struck me about it after the recent development

I reckon that at some point Akua and Cat are going to merge into a single person back into being a human

In before it turns out that all of this was a long game plan by Triumphant (may she never return) to return, and Cat and Akua merging is her triumphant return.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Vateke posted:

Prac Guide: Was that a new aspect for Masego? What have we seen from him before?

nothing, I think this is his first actual aspect as Heirophant. The old aspects we knew were from Apprentice.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Velius posted:

So we see Keter and the Dead King’s rose, where he willingly sacrificed his whole kingdom for his advancement. He’s clearly intended to be the Villainous inversion of Cat, who at least declares her motivation to be protecting her Kingdom even at cost to herself. Somehow he’s beaten the various narratives/stories that would have caused his fall, so he must be similarly savvy to this setting and it’s ideas.

You uh... haven't read the latest couple chapters, have you?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

lurksion posted:

Bard's back too.

Yes, and it's time to guess how many levels of yomi they're on.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

builds character posted:

They talk about self image being the determining factor for black and cat I think. Presumably all of her recent self doubt is causing some issues. I don’t remember the hero/villain aging thing other than black explicitly not aging because of the self perception thing again. Maybe I just missed it though.

It's stated repeatedly that villains are functionally immortal as a sort of hosed up compensation for the fact that their days are narratively numbered. A villain who manages to hang on won't age, or if they do, won't die from it, while heroes definitely age at their normal rate and eventually die of natural causes if the narrative doesn't kill them first.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Silynt posted:

I like the implication of Traitorous’s Law at the start of the chapter, that he pretended to be redeemed by a Choir and then betrayed them too. Truly, Traitorous and Irritant were the greatest of Emperors.

He only had one trick, but he was Damned good at it.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Something else I've been thinking of is the revelation that you don't get to choose what fey title you give. That means there's even more symbolism in "Moonless Nights"

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

the protagonist had a cape called "the winter mantle" and that this actual physical cape conferred powers.

Not gonna lie, this would be a -fantastic- con for a villain to pull.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

tithin posted:

Man, I caught some real Tyrant shades from her that entire chapter, just, the same level of insanity.

Absolutely magnificent, from start to finish.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

violent sex idiot posted:

the tinker gun didnt do anything, the reason scion died was he was mercilessly bullied about his beloved counterpart dying because she was on the phone while driving, then foil shot him in the fuckin head with sting and he let it hit him

That was only steps 1 and 2. Foil's shot opened up the gateway through his fake body, the G-Driver shot through it was necessary to finish him.

edit: and lest you think that was not really necessary and any good cape could have done it, the G-Driver was an upgraded version of the F-Driver, which String Theory had originally made to -pull the moon out of orbit into the earth-. There are not a lot of things that operate on that scale, especially not with Eidolon gone.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

It's both true and also kinda not true, in that while technically Khepri was not absolutely necessary for the final thing to happen (the G-Driver was being built beforehand, and anybody could have noticed and used Flechette to open the wound for it), the actual fight with Scion was mostly limited to the capes capable of keeping up with him or that people who could thought would be useful, and many of the capes that were necessary to the final "batter him with images of his dead partner" step 1 were not part of that group, including the especially critical one, the kid from the Travelers who got almost nothing but "Balance" mix, aka the poo poo that the entities were using to emulate humanity, and thus reminded him strongly of his dead partner.

Khepri was technically necessary to the ending in that without her, the necessary capes for enacting step 1 of the finale would 'never' have come together in the right place, at the right time.

('never' because, narrative requiring it means that it would have happened some other way, but that's not something they could know without having Deadpool handy.)

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

When you add the fact that emotionally abusing a weird eldritch being just doesn't make much sense to me, it just feels like there are too many weird beats in that rush to cross the finish line.

I think it's just one of those bumpy plot beats, like Cauldron's master plan, where the concept is solid and interesting (alien's unbeatable, let's find a non-punchy resolution), but the actual plan and the way they go about it feels kinda contrived.

When it comes down to it they didn't even emotionally abuse it. They exploited a flaw in its emulation of humanity, in that it was capable of being depressed at all, and the effects of that emulation made it unable/unwilling to just turn the emulation off.

Depression sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

The first concern is completely off-base, the second has some validity to it. Though the main difference between PracGuide and the sort of thing you're mentioning is that Evil isn't portrayed as really being better than Good either.

edit: I should probably add that I'm the sort of person who has little tolerance for the vast majority of web serials/novels, including stuff like Wandering Inn, and PracGuide is a cut above most.

Good and Evil in pracguide are very much Shin Megami Tensei good and evil, which is to say, not good and evil at all, just law and chaos. "good" is about giving up your will to the higher power and doing exactly what they want, even if what they want is patently evil, and "evil" is all about the strong ruling and gently caress anything else.