Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Saturday's Twig was great. :allears:

For certain Wildbowy values of great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

bewilderment posted:

Unsong is so goddamn dense with religion/Kabbalah/programming jokes early on, it's great. I just started it recently but it's pretty refreshing after me mostly having gone through all the gloom of wildbow's stuff.

i'm dead

Wait till Uriel figures out knock knock jokes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

This is true, though I'm still finding her pretty insufferable. Actually a little moreso, now that she's made friends with a group of people who make a point of being institutionally insufferable.

Who, dragons? :v:

Edit: man totally missed a chance to say the bourgeoisie

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Katreus posted:

Prac Guide update.

The imitation of Prometheus - twice! - was great. That payoff of the Thief was great. As was Apprentice's Transition - and very well suited given his stated ambitions to break apart the levers behind reality.

I read this and went "huh, sounds fun, I should catch up", and still didn't see the end of the chapter coming. :laffo:

This remains a solidly entertaining YA ish novel with some interesting thoughts on narrative roles, and Thief is one of the more mostly-mindlessly entertaining bits. I've loved her since at LEAST the revelation that she could steal ships, stick them in her belt pouches, and pull them out for later abuse.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

avoraciopoctules posted:

I'm rather enjoying the latest villainous interlude in Practical Guide to Evil. I really should have seen that twist coming, but either way Anaxares has been one of my favorite characters.

I loving love the Fantasy Democratic Communists in general and their POV character in particular. Even before this chapter.

Also the Tyrant does a good job of synopsizing why the Bard may be the worst and most terrifying monster in the story. :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

There's really a motif in Wildbow's works in writing from the perspective of people who would absolutely be villains in other stories.

Blake is a goddamn diabolist and Sy is kind of a bastard at the best of times.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I didn't read that far into Pact, but from what I remember, Blake was a fairly conventional good guy who was a "diabolist" only by chance. I guess you could say he's morally in the wrong for not just letting his enemies kill him early on because of the potential threat he posed just by existing, but that's a very harsh standard to hold someone to. (Maggie, on the other hand, was pretty dark. Is she really supposed to be a YA novel protagonist?)

Blake spirals into systematically loving everything up and causing enormous amounts of chaos for the perfectly understandable reason of "would rather not die because his ancestors were fuckers". A lot of the other players aren't particularly nice people either, and Blake's good intentions work pretty okay in the long run in a lot of cases, but if the story were written from a number of the other perspectives (see Alistair!) he'd be pretty alarming for an awful lot of it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

Twig is into epilogues.

I gotta say, that was a good point to end the main story at and I'm looking forward to every epilogue chapter.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I assume the main villain will be Sleeper.

This is plausible.

And also enables some terribly interesting scenarios.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

builds character posted:

It doesn’t have to be the end of all the worlds. Twig and pact both managed to scale that back a bit.

Pact arguably more than Twig.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Silynt posted:

Excellent point about the Legion motto, I totally forgot about that. That makes perfect sense.

I agree with you about why it didn't seem like Sabah was going to lose when we last see her, it was definitely building dramatic tension. My point was that even after the curtain is pulled and it's revealed that she is the target, we don't even get to witness her death. It seems like a disservice to her character to just be like "Haha, your friend died" without even explaining how the fight turned around. That's why I said that TODAY'S chapter was disappointing - I wanted a Calamity IV showing her actual defeat, but instead it seems like that battle is just over and we're moving on.

After pondering the Calamity chapters, I actually sort of like the way the author did it. We don't actually need to see everything, and the aspect trigger is a perfectly fun climax.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Double posting to ask, re Practice Guide when does Malicia ask Catherine to kill Black? I sort of remember reading it but not specifically when it was

She doesn't.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

builds character posted:

Ya, totally agree that nothing this dude has written would suggest trauma and suffering of characters drive the story.

:golfclap:

When Blake is the least explicitly traumatized major protagonist in the lineup...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

There was a bunch of poo poo technically worse in Worm. The big difference here I think, is the lack of agency, the lack of someone or something to lay the blame at the feet of.

There's someone to lay the blame on.

Taylor murdered Zion, therefore causing the malfunctions. :colbert:

although this does remind me of my personal most "well, guess I have to be a villain" superperson in Worm

there is effectively no constructive use of Breed's powers, the best he can possibly do is produce parasites in surplus corpses and use them to kill serious threats in a horrible but not particularly tactically useful way

the ethical option for him would be to become an accountant or something and maybe apply to desecrate a corpse for some self-defense tools

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 22, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cicero posted:

Yeah Zorian was annoying in early Mother of Learning, but I started reading Wandering Inn (at 1.12 R right now) and wow Ryoka is a far more unlikeable jackass. I don't understand the point of writing a main character who's such an rear end in a top hat. And not, like a glorious bastard or funny rear end in a top hat or something like that, she just loving sucks. Is it some kind of Mary Sue wish fulfillment thing where she gets to be successful and surrounded by friends and praised even though she's a huge douche to everyone around her? And honestly the main character seems only marginally better for this, but at least Erin seems like she's trying to be a decent person. I hope this poo poo gets better over time.

both of those things do improve substantially.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yo the chapter of pracguide where you find out that Blacks real motivation is just pure fuckin spitefulness and a desire to defy the narrative laws that govern reality and tell fate to huff a dick is the craziest loving thing Jesus Christ

my favorite pracguide bits are the ones around the Democratic Communist Diplomat, but Black is arguably more important to the narrative*

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

Despite all the rampant speculation on secret bad guys, 'oh it looked like they were really shady but actually they're mostly just pathetic' is basically the conclusion for both Rain and Kenzie at this point (except she's still shady as gently caress too). So I'm guessing the same will be true for the rest of the team too. Replace shady with megalomaniacal in the case of Ashley and team mom in the case of Sveta.

rain might actually have been less pathetic before the post-trigger stuff messed him up and, ironically, let him be a better person

kenzie's great though

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Okay the Fallen manage to be even creepier than I thought. :stare:

also Kenzie intentionally deep-sixed somebody? that's nice

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

21 Muns posted:

I thought she was the only one who hadn't?

oh darn, totally misread i guess

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Error 404 posted:

Or how loving perfect Chris' mad anxiety form is?

Now we know why Tristan went "goddammit man, really?"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'm more amused by the Bard running face first into anti-protagonism and just failing to wrap her brain around it.

God, Practical's cosmology is such incredibly vile bullshit. Why is she so invested in keeping it running?

e: I wish Anaxares was the main character, frankly.

Anaxares is hands down my favorite character and I love Bellerophon's nutso communist democracy.

I also enjoy that they're nominally Evil because, well, duh, Any Law Not Created By A Vote Of The People Is An Imposition By Tyrants, including the laws of Creation.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Katreus posted:

Epilogue Prac Guide.

Ahahahaha. I really enjoyed the payoff to the fae in Cat's scene, which really does appear straight out of legend, the Thief being sent to Procer (ahahaha, Malicia really screwed the pooch there and doesn't seem to have realized with Black's comment that he expects Cat to challenge her and he doesn't know which one will win and that it's not clear who he'd support), and the Bard getting figuratively owned by the Hierarch. Glad something's not going her way.

That very last part though, is all this foreshadowing about Dread Empress Triumphant - may she never return - going to pay off?! That would be the cherry topping on this giant clusterfuck of plans. Amazing.

I got the impression that the last bit was about people like her in their narrative-breakery making a blip on the Magic Radar, but you might very well be right.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like Mama Mathers has some concerns about this whole thing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

She's so desperate for positive human interaction at that point in her life that she doesn't even want to think about being found out, because that would mean losing all her friends. It's also why she keeps lying to herself about eventually turning them in but keeps finding excuses to push that out.

i describe at least the first part of Worm as a really good allegory for why people join gangs

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PetraCore posted:

Taylor is a loving great unreliable narrator and I'm glad that Wildbow seems to like unreliable narrators as much as I do. Sy is really good for that too, although he's got literal brain damage as an excuse for at least part of Twig.

Victoria is the first of his protagonists that could not super easily be the villain of another story, and if and when Team Therapy goes off the rails I expect her to join the ranks.

Worm: actual supervillain, with nominally good intentions
Pact: scion-of-diabolists willing to use various horrible measures (dislikes using actual diabolism, but he deployed the Imp of Beasts once and a half and had the Barber and the books in his back pocket; also, Rose is quite villainous for similarly justifiable reasons)
Twig: duh

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I like all of the members of Team Therapy, but it's pretty boring to post that. :v:

well, I like them as characters, i hope i'd have the sense to abruptly go somewhere else in person

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SerSpook posted:

PracGuide: And here's the Grey Pilgrim to gently caress up peace negotiations.

Also I just re-read the discussion between the Wandering Bard and Anaxares at the end of the last book, and it's pretty glorious still. The proclamation of the Wandering Bard as treasonous has to have some sort of narrative weight here, I'd not be surprised if it needs a new meatsuit after that, what with the last one being a citizen of the League and technically under the Heirarch's authority. I also think it really inspires a true hatred of the Bard.

anaxares is the best character and bellerophon is the best polity

imo the scene where he demands his own execution for treason is even better than him telling off the Bard

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

navyjack posted:

I think she’s the “marked card” for the Gods Above in the great game.

Yeah - the Tyrant describes her pretty well in the Best Anaxares Chapter. So does Anaxares in the second best, if with more flowery language and less specifics. Her job is to make sure the cycle of (Good-skewed) stories keeps on cycling. Her CURRENT priority is to hammer down Praes in general and Black in particular, because they're the nail sticking up at the moment.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I had some fairly awful poo poo happen to me and ended up laid up in the hospital for several days, so I used that as an excuse to binge a bunch of Practical Guide. I'm several chapters into book 3 and I'm totally in love with it. Black and Cat's strategy of cheating with both hands and then cheating some more is wonderful. Anaxares and all the horrifying implications of his situation is also wonderful. I've really been missing out.

anaxares for world overlord

i also love that the populist communists are extremely solidly in the Evil basket, they insist on the Will Of The People over the divine law

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not sure if it really makes sense to describe them as communists or even fully populists; it seems more like those people who control whether the stones explode you are effectively in control, even if they think they're reflecting the will of the people or whatever (and the will of people is only accepted if it involves people in government showing zero personal initiative). I guess it wouldn't really makes sense in the context of the story if an actual good/reasonable country existed (and I doubt the gods would allow such a thing anyways). Though I don't really know what sort of society the weird all-powerful sci-fi gnomes have. I really hope that comes up again, but it'd be weird to have it as just this one-off mention near the beginning of the series.

What exactly is up with Arcadia? From what I understand, the whole Good/Evil fate-based stuff doesn't apply there, since it isn't technically in "Creation," but I also don't think it's connected to the Gods Above/Below in the same way as the heavens/hells.

I theorize that the super-gnomes are a Good polity that have devised a particularly direct mechanism of communication - if they haven't, or aren't, they've transcended the central conflict in Creation, which is... weird. Their work to maintain a certain level of stasis overwhelmingly feels like an in-universe Good proposition.

For your other concerns, keep reading, I'd love to engage with you on the topic but can't. :v:

may bellerophon, queen of cities and first among the league, reign forever

edit:

quote:

“I am a mere vessel for the will of the people,” he babbled hurriedly, “unfit to pass judgement on my own. Long Live The Republic, Peerless Jewel Of Freedom.”

Eyes closed he waited for the pebble to shift and tear through his organs. There was a long moment of silence in the room, but nothing happened.

“drat,” the Penthesian said. “That would have been a five pointer.”

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 19, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

this broken hill posted:

reprehensible bullshit and trash

yeah, but do you have any input that isn't praise?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Uldor posted:

Prac Guide

Oh Hanno, you poor bastard. You don't just get their experiences and skills, you get their SOUL too. I'm sure that is going to end well...

Far more concerned for Warlock then Black. He's got green heroes facing him up north I have a feeling he will clean the field with them, unless he runs in to Champion and she's wearing that cloak... that won't end well

Also, wolf mommy is adorable :3:

black/championchat: someone noted in the comments that Praes and Black are pretty into necromancy, Captain had an Aspect involving obeying orders, and he's got a vengeance narrative going

Champion might not be expecting an attack by her own trophy cloak

edit also even with the "killed Captain while she was in monster form" thing, desecrating your opponent's corpse for apparel is... iffy, from a Goodness standpoint

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

builds character posted:

Ward - kenzie could easily make a camera that sees the wretch, couldn’t she?

Antares is a cool name because according to wikipedia, it also has a wretch that recently changed relationships with it. “Antares has a magnitude 5.5 companion star, Antares B, that changed from an angular separation (from its primary, Antares A) of 3.3 arcseconds in 1854 to 2.67" +/-0.01" in 2006.“

Victoria is a huge dork and I love her new cape name.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, I can't quite get a handle on her schtick. Like, attachment disorder aside a lot of her internal monologue reads like high-functioning extroverted sociopathy to me; framing things as managing/controlling Victoria, analyzing everything she does relative to how it'll elicit the desired response, and either noticing or having very few emotional reactions during the whole thing. But she apparently still has emotions and a need to socialize beyond what's required to fulfill her material needs and wants. Either way, I know it's not in keeping with the second chances schtick but I genuinely don't think it's responsible to keep her on the team; Vicky has no way of knowing this, but based on her own internal monologue I'm guessing they're never going to do better than Kenzie doing her own thing in a direction she thinks they'll find useful, and that is potentially really dangerous in an investigative/combat setting.

Edit for bad joke: you're never too young to learn the dangers of irresponsible google searches.

some flavors of sociopath have both recognizable emotions and a need to socialize

that said i don't think she's a sociopath

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

There was a moment in reading Ward 7.x where I went "oh no good things are happening please make the good things stop before everything goes horribly wrong", and then I knew that Wildbow had beaten me.

I know, right? :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SerSpook posted:

The interludes in book 4 are probably the best part of it so far.

counterpoint: most (none? can't remember when bardchat happened) of them don't involve anaxares and the Glorious Republic Of Bellerophon

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Oh god yeah it's my favorite chapter.

Mine too. :allears: All the Anaxares chapters are great but that's the best.

quote:

“Your pending execution has been suspended by vote,” a man said. “Your services to the people have made you a Person of Value.”

The diplomat watched the seven other people in the tent. They stared back, unblinking. Something rose inside of him as the silence continued, something he had not felt in a very long time. He’d thought the years had scoured it out of him, but perhaps that had been vanity. It was not hope, of course. He had no use for that. It was anger. Harsh, unforgiving fury. How dare they? How dare they turn on what they should be, on everything they should stand for?

“No,” he hissed. “This is unacceptable.”

“This committee has been empowered to record and respond to your words,” the woman who’d spoken earlier replied flatly.

“There is no such thing as Person of Value,” Anaxares snarled. “If the people have decreed this, the people are wrong and in need of purging. We are a Republic of laws. I have broken these laws. I must be executed according to them.”

“To go against the Will of the People is treason,” another woman said.

“Then execute me, by all the Gods,” he shouted. “The people have committed treason against the Republic through this vote. This is how he wins, you fools. By bending what we are. It only needs to happen once and everything we’ve built is stained.”

Eyes hard, he stared them down.

“We are the Republic of Bellerophon,” he said through gritted teeth. “We do not compromise. We do not make exceptions. I will slit my own throat before allowing this.”

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PetraCore posted:

That said, that also gives me hope that Ward will be able to handle getting widespread and rowdy without ending in interdimensional worm battles or the falling of the world into hell or however Pact ended. Like, we already know there's a ton of other settlements that split off from Earth Bet. Earth Gimel isn't actually the last bastion of Earth Bet or anything.

pact's world-level implications were actually pretty limited

the absolute tippy-top threat was a modest chunk of Canada potentially getting wiped by the Barber (and the actual total damage was considerably smaller)

the constant escalation and excessive action was a problem, but it had the lowest macro-scale stakes of any of the stories by a ridiculous margin

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

tithin posted:

Theory:

I don't know where the theory about the bard being an anti-dead king power came from, but it makes sense if you consider that she stepped in to save Akua from the Fae, probably with foreknowledge of what would be needed to end the king.

Cat's playing into the Bards long time game without realising it.

she's not necessarily anti-dead-king in the sense of being designed to wreck him, but she might be anti-dead-king in that the level of firepower Trismegistus achieved gave the Heavens the opportunity to empower a similarly mighty, ultimately considerably nastier tool of their own

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

after the vague history tidbit I'm wondering if all three of Wildbow's worlds had the British Empire never fall in somewhat different ways :v: