Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

I'd like to recommend Pact, actually. It's significantly better as a finished work than when it was still updating...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

So do you guys want me putting everything that everyone recommends into the OP, or just the stuff that a lot of people are reading?

If we have to pick between one or the other, than just the most popular ones, I think. Someone new to the thread/New to web-serials is best served by showing some of the strongest examples of the...genre, I guess? If people want a giant list of novels, they're better served by topwebfiction and webfictionguide. (Incidentally, probably put links to those into the OP)

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

q_k posted:

Halfway through year one Dumbledore convinces Harry to let the troll kill Hermione for the greater good, hijinks ensue. I don't remember, Maggie recovered her name from the elf right?

Nope, she loses the name pretty much forever. She dows end up cobbling together a new version of herself, though.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

And hey, while I'm thinking about it, a Twig question. Does anyone know what happened to Dog and Catcher? They were cool dudes, but they dropped out of the story somewhere around the midpoint and never popped up again.

I'm pretty sure they were sighted with Fray in Radham, but by that point her entire group is kind of gone. It may just be that they expired at some point prior to the end, but there's no confirmation about their status, alive or dead.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

Amazon Page posted:

(This novel is the e-book version of the free web serial. You may read the entire ongoing story at wanderinginn.com free of charge.)

...I mean, maybe it's just that I'm not a native English speaker, but that doesn't seem to read like there's nothing new in the Ebook? I mean, e-book editions of a web-novel seems like it would include editing at least, and maybe some new side story or something? I sort of think that if you wanted people not to buy it the warning would state that directly...

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

LLSix posted:

Caught up on PracGuide and Kairos is the most entertaining character. The scene(s) with the goat have been pure comedy gold.

Cat's been bluffing a lot. I wonder when someone is going to call her bluff. Twice now she's solved a situation with a bluff without really having an alternate solution. Come to think of it, with the way the world runs on rules of threes, I bet the next time she tries it she gets called.

What do you think of so many character's losing their Names? Amadeus especially just felt like cheating.

Kairos is fun, but he feels incomplete without Hierarch. I hope we see him before this mess is over, I want to see The Will of the People vs the Dead King.

Are the two situations when she stopped the cavalry at Iserre, and now with Kairos? Because I'm thinking that it could also turn into a power not unlike her cloak or her theft ability, composure/unflappability in the face of odds, which is something she's kind of been doing for a while (And talking/bluffing her way out of a tricky situation has been her modus operandi since she was a claimant to the Squire).

I suspect that characters losing Names is part of Cat's narrative in a sense, all the characters who have been losing their Names have been closely linked back to Cat and the Liesse Accords is built on restricting the power of Names. I suspect that as Cat gets closer to her goal the power of Names involved with her diminishes, which might is an interesting angle for Bard (diminishing her Name enough to get free of the limitations imposed by it/losing it entirely via Cat)

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

I kind of feel like (PracGuide) There won't be an Akua betrayal at all. I kind of feel like Cat's narrative has sort of become that she ends up changing everyhting she touches, from the various members of the Woe transitioning to something different/new, to the Accords, to Arcadia's new court, to the Army of Callow being a mix of Praesi and Callowan soldiers who are actually getting along with one another, and the Drow being the most obvious example. A Sahelian transitioning from backstabby schemer near-royalty to someone who, if not exceedingly heroic, is actually sincere and geneuinely wants to reach for something better for her homeland doesn't feel that far-fetched from that angle, really.

I actually feel like the Bard's going to use that sort of meta-narrative to transition away from her role, especially given that it seems to affect people who should be her enemies the most (Archer, Akua, Viv, Arcadia, the Drow and their resident goddesses, even Levant via Tanja is starting to change...It is kind of a trend). Makes sense to be seen as Cat's enemy while not actually doing that much harm to her directly, if that's the goal...

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

Hungry posted:

So, I've been writing a web serial for almost nine months now, called Katalepsis.

It's an urban fantasy story / lesbian supernatural soap opera, with a little bit of a horror coating. I didn't want to link it here until I was certain I'd be sticking with it, so here it is. New chapters currently every Saturday, though I'm trying to build up to twice a week instead. I'm not an incredible writer or anything, and I guess the story can get a little grisly at times, so it might not be to everyone's taste. If anybody does check it out, I sincerely hope you enjoy it.

Just finished reading through the chapters over the course of the last couple of days, and I think this has jumped straight to a shared #1 on my web serial list with PracGuide. I am incredibly fond of all the characters, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I keep wanting to give the pneuma-somatics a hug after Heather yells at them, they aren't doing any harm! And Tenny is adorable!

I don't think I have a good grasp of how large Sharrowford is, though (I've never been to the UK). Is it a fairly large town?

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Definitely find somewhere that isn't WFG/TWF for exposure because that site might not be lasting much longer.

Wait, what's going on there? I thought they were fairly active?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Pracguide: a chapter that is (in large part) from the perspective of Kairos Himself :stare:

It's amazing. I wonder what the WotW's wish to be complete is all about, presumably it has something to do with the Gigantes? Is she wanting to become one in truth or something? I'd actually would have been interested in Akua's wish, it would have been interesting as a marker of how much/how little she's changed/ing?

Hanno has a portion of the chapter too, and him casually bringing up Cat calling the Choir of Endurance bottom-feeders in front of Cordelia is great. He's starting to grow on me!