Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I started TWI maybe a year ago and have just gotten up to date. It's been a hell of a ride and I agree with all the criticism around pacing. I often found it to be a grind but I'd always be waiting for the story to get back to x which had been building up slowly and I knew the next x chapter was going to be good.

They only arc I really felt never excited about was all the Laken stuff and even the climax of that just got totally left behind afterwards in terms of the characters around Laken with one exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
also probably trying to avoid creating a totally OP character that effortlessly solves all the problems.. even though that's already Erin kinda

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I love all the words. I do get sad about forgotten characters that were a bit of a grind at first then you came to enjoy them and now they're just.. gone. For now anyway.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Megazver posted:

cough make an epub cough

I definitely haven't done this already into 6 nice clean books.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
All those joke domains exist to suck people in cheap early on then ramp up on renewals. It's just a thing.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yep

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

A big flaming stink posted:

TWI 9.25 Patreon: loving hell

Indeeeed. What a chapter.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Just chiming in to say it's nice to have TWI discussion again. When I was getting through the bulk of it it kind of felt like the thread was very over it at the time.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I just read it in 10 minute blocks anyway. They do seem to be punishing themselves quite often in writing super long chapters given the afternotes.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
9.40 is 36k words tho innit

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

TWI: Vol 3
I'm a big fan of this emperor guy, and it's neat having a POV from an entirely blind person and only getting things described with the other senses.

A strong start to this book.

Wow he's like my least favourite character and apart from other characters visiting him I find all his chapters a total grind

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Goblins rule.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It sort of builds some background for Cognita which comes back around later but also ends up another currently unfinished arc.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Is there a better way to read RR stuff on mobile than the browser?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can use Lightnovel Crawler to download web novels as epubs (or other formats)

https://github.com/dipu-bd/lightnovel-crawler

Ooh thanks, I wish I'd known about this when I was scraping poo poo into epubs a few months back.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
On typos prac guide is riddled with em but it doesn't get in the way.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've been making my way slowly through prac guide for I'm probably a year on and off. Maybe halfway through volume 5 now. It's mostly been a continuously great read. I don't really have any specific thoughts, it's kind of my fallback read in between other serials or books. It's unique enough that I always feel like jumping back in to see where it goes next.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh I'm sure we'll get a sidestory in Hell sooner or later, but for probably a decent while lots of folks are dead. Fun group being setup for future Hellventures though.

Yeah... Right after all those new lands stories that are surely just around the corner...

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
6 full length novels of silveran cleaning increasingly difficult things and getting sweet skills

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Thanks for the recommendations I think, might check em out once I finish book 7 of prac guide. Things are coming to a point but I still can't quite call how it's going to go. I don't keep up with the author at all, this is it for the Catherine/Creation stuff right or did they write more?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've finished A Practical Guide to Evil and it's fantastic. An absolute A+ read.

I'm at 92% of Volume 7 and kind of making GBS threads myself about finding something to read next. I definitely would have bought these as 7 novels if it was available in paperback.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I'm up to date with TWI and looking forward to the finale this year. Yeah there's a lot of dead ends along the way but I still love the characters. Same goes for Prac Guide, I'd often skip 4 pages of fight descriptions just looking for the next dialogue section. So.. yeah gimme recs with strong likeable characters I guess.

E. And I'm very grateful for the satisfying epilogue in prac guide. That gave some good closure while still providing a reason to perhaps come back to the world and characters again.

Aware fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 9, 2023

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I'm quite ok if TWI never ends. It's regular comfort food.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
The finale chapter for the current set up event I mean

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I started TWI when it was up to about Book 7 and it was kind of comforting knowing I had about 2 years of material to get through at my pace roughly. Now I look forward to updates and each takes me a day or three to get through because aba has a ridiculous word count.

I actually subscribed to Matt dinimans patreon for a while but compared to aba his updates/chapters are so infrequent and then very very tiny on top of that that I just gave up and will read the books on Ku as they come out. aba sets an absurdly high bar in regards to updates.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Argue posted:

IMO the fanbase does an extremely poor job of selling it by saying stuff along these lines, together with "it gets good after x million words". Its scope grows to epic proportions after x million words, but everything that makes it appealing is there from the start (or at least from the moment Erin meets other characters who talk to her). Pirateaba's main strength is in writing characters with distinct voices and having them interact in fun ways, and even pre-rewrite, this was the case, although the rewrite did go a long way towards making v1 Ryoka less insufferable to read about without changing her outward actions.

As for the slow pacing, I think most people would assume (reasonably) that this means that every single plot point is unnecessarily drawn out and it becomes a chore to read, but I don't think this is the case. There are plot points that do take a long time to resolve, but in the way something like the MCU draws out its overarching plot--plenty happens in a single installment, but if you just wanted to know more about the infinity stones as opposed to just enjoying the characters being silly while they attend to their own devices, you're not gonna have a good time.

What I can tell you is that its length does not owe to spending copious amounts of time describing things or dwelling too long on any single moment, but rather, to characters being so busy with so many different things. Yeah, there's a lot of filler conversation, but those are usually the highlights of a chapter!

I think this is the best summary of TWI I've read. It can be super frustrating throughout when you're just getting into a character's arc and then bam, the focus changes for the next 10 chapters and you've forgotten your investment by the time it comes back around.

It's almost a little Pratchett like in that while he was actively publishing you'd be hanging out for the next Guards book but instead get 4 other great books not about the Guards until oh hey the we're back in Ankh Morpork! But at a much larger scale.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
See you in 3 years when you've caught up

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It's been rewritten though I haven't re-read it I've heard it makes Ryoka less of an rear end in a top hat or at least gives it some more meaning

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
So I started SS and it was a bit slow to start and then Alden's first summoning and the moon and Kibby kicked total rear end and now I feel like he's been back on Earth and it's been 40 chapters of absolute batshit boring slice of life with dull drama and setting up characters that arent very interesting apart from Lute. does it get good again? And if so, when so I can skip to that chapter.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Meh I'll persevere until TWI drops at least. Think I'll drop it if super hero high continues to be the main focus. It's a shame, all the interesting characters have been put aside imo.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

LLSix posted:

If you like Lute, he does get more screentime soon. Otherwise, slice of life seems to be what Sleyca wants to write for the forseeable future.

Appreciated. Just skipping big chunks now to catch up will see how the latest chapters feel but ready to drop it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
TWI... A confusing ride to an underwhelming end. Still, looking forward to volume 10 being less focused on Izril. While I guess the gods have been sidelined for now a bit, it seems like a poo poo storm is erupting in pretty much every other place.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Ss117 yeah ok after complaining it got boring the Lute stuff sucked me back in. anyway, am I the only one imagining Alden becoming a giant katamari style ball rolls around preserving everything?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Picked up Deeper Darker in RR kind of randomly, quite fun so far. A little bit humour, a bit space opera, nothing much numbers or LitRPG yet but the framework is there. Fun characters so far.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I'm hoping one of Alden's friends gets called up and we get to go on an adventure again

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
We still don't know how Jessica was involved in the whole.. thing.. though yet I think.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Wittgen posted:

I think the Lute chapters are great, but they're both a downer and somewhat awkwardly timed. Ultimately, I think having diversions like this is a feature and not a bug of web serials.

It can be super frustrating but then you get sucked in and welp what was I hanging out for the next part again? Frankly Lute is the only thing keeping me hanging in their with SS, idgaf about chapters that describe an obstacle course over and over and come with character guides for characters you won't give a poo poo about next chapter. Skip ahead 6 months and put Alden in danger again damnit.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I don't even try, though sleyca certainly thinks people give a poo poo

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Ugh I just hit my first dead/incomplete web serials, Deeper Darker. Fairly light, lots of catch 22 vibes but the author seemed to drop off the face of the earth 2 years ago :( they're still making $88/mo on patreon at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Infinity Gaia posted:

TWI Patreon: Well. I don't know if I'm a bad reader or what, but I really didn't expect this particular twist. Wonder who the gently caress this is?

Gotta be Nerry. now where the gently caress is Erin!