Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Peachfart posted:

It's because the author turned what was originally a funny and fun romp through a world full of magic into a depressing slog of misery.

i do really hope poo poo gets fun again at the start of vol 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Cicero posted:

New Forge of Destiny (Dinner 1), it's funny how badly she's loving it up. How do I dated guy??

I’m so down for the story of a damaged cultivator learning to make friends

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

awesmoe posted:

I’m so down for the story of a damaged cultivator learning to make friends

With b-plot of ‘thirsty snake-girl romances spectrum spider’

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

tithin posted:

On a non TWI note: can anyone vouch for Azarint healer? friend of mine said it's good and I'm somewhat keen to check it out but from the sounds of things it's loving long

I gave up about 200 chapters in (it got boring)
its a bit above average in the murderhobo subgenre, which is extremely faint praise. The game systems are fine, nothing too interesting but also not actively annoying. the protagonist is a bit of a psychopath but not as bad as randiddididly ghosthound (lol) or some of the others. the side characters are kinda interestingish but not entertaining or amusing - like, they've got some potential but it wasnt realized by the time i quit. It was fairly uncompelling, too - , i dont remember if the protagonist actually has any motivation or if murderhoboing is just something that sparks joy for her. the Chosen One factor isnt too bad, in that the stuff she accomplishes is mostly earned and, like, plausible-ish given the genre (the author bothered to give a rationale for the ridiculous overpoweredness).

having said which, that all still puts it in the top half of the pack, and maybe it got better after i quit, so...

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Cicero posted:

Today's Delve chapter was like listening to someone talk about the dream they just had for twenty minutes in excruciating detail

Yeah I’m starting to realise that I don’t give a poo poo about any of this. Not souls, not whatever he’s doing with the plates and resistances, definitely not dozer. I sort of cared about spell interactions and breaking those mechanics but it appears the author doesn’t anymore so yeah I’m done.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah it was enough to get me to drop it. The author put a big note at the start of one of the chapters saying “look I know readers don’t like this but it’s the story I wanna write” and, well, good for you but I’m out

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

blastron posted:

Stumbled across Breaker of Horizons and it’s actually pretty good! It mashes a bunch of tropes together (invasive litrpg system, cultivation, monster protagonist) and comes up with something pretty original. It’s very combat-heavy and not a whole lot of character interaction, but the combat is real meaty and the narrative glue between fights paints a good picture and drives the story forward pretty decisively.
im kinda ambivalent about it because the protagonist just jumps from place to place and encounter to encounter and quest to quest without any sort of completion or coherence. Stuff just happens and characters and environments are introduced and then he's on to the next thing. It suffers from 'plotted by my 8 year old nephew' syndrome.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
It’s good! Good job.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Data dragon danika appears to be a story in which someone plays a basically conflictless mmorpg. I’m reading about fetch quests her character is doing. Is there….more to this?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

LLSix posted:

No, that's the good part. I think the clever ways she finds to solve problems without fighting are pretty neat.

There's a romance arc that spans most of the volumes.

Once she gets out of the tutorial area, she starts interacting with other players. They are much more often a source of conflict than NPCs. The MC generally tries to resolve things without killing anyone, and the NPCs are much more obliging about that than the PCs.

Fair enough. I think the stakes are too low for me - I keep thinking “I could just close this browser and play a game myself and it would be more interesting”. I prefer my slices of life like forge of destiny or even cinnamon bun (although that got a bit one-note). Different strokes, I think.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

Forge of Destiny kinda fits into a third category where it doesn't have some clear overarching plot, but it has more direction than most things considered "slice of life." Particularly in the later content, where the author moves more in the direction of mini-arcs and away from detailing all of the protagonist's training and short social events.

I would consider it to be closer to a "normal" narrative than a slice of life one.

yeah, you're right, it's not really slice of life - i think that what I like is character-focused stories (where things happen). outcast in another world is another good example.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mulozon Empuri posted:

I also am not a big fan of this one. But I read about a guy who starved to death and was reborn as an ant. Also an axe guy who kills people who is also a zombie.

Axe guy is my low-brow Saturday morning cartoon favourite. No complicated relationship messes, no boring ptsd sessions, no grimdark psychopath protagonists, just a dude with his axe. It sparks joy.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I love her

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That's one of the many problems with these litrpg works. If humans having game stats were a thing, developing the most optimized build would be an entire field of study, and nations would devote massive resources into research for it. A single person who plays video games a lot isn't going to be able to compete, especially considering they won't have nearly as much knowledge about what exactly each stat and ability does and their limitations.

That’s what the elves in outcast did so all had the same Savagely Optimized ranger build even when it didn’t spark joy (and they got rolled when something that it wasn’t optimized for showed up)

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
From Patreon he’s really struggling to write the tournament bits, which plays a part in the pacing. There was originally another fight bit before the letter got delivered, for example, but he was unhappy with the chapter and yoinked it

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Gladi posted:

I don't think sex is necessary for a harem story. The fantasy is mainly about desirability rather than strict sexual encounter count. It is the MC's power.

Bringing this full circle, the ave x rem whatever protagonist has boned only one member of his harem (and that’s all offscreen and fade to black). It’s about the power/desirability/numbers-go-up-ness factor.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I read litrpgs to get away from a sad whiny dude messing with spreadsheets ho ho ho :smith:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Chunky can change size yes although mostly that seems to be in the range between large for a boar to large for a bus

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I’m all for death of the reader

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
The protagonist from defiance of the fall regularly steals everything that’s not nailed down and it’s amazing. He recently spent about 3 paragraphs trying (and failing) to steal an altar. He steals shelving off the walls and fertiliser from fields and all the while the people around him are like “is this guy for real?”.
It’s one of the rare power fantasies where the author doesn’t take the protagonist seriously, and I enjoy it much more than eg LoRG or primal hunter because of it

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I just skip till I see the first stat box. I know what I want and I’m not afraid to take it, goddamnit

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

nrook posted:

I actually hate this feature of the Kindle app so much, because it is constantly baiting me by thinking new books in series I like are out when they aren’t. Pure evil!

Also because even if I read the first chapter of a book and immediately bail, sucks to be me, kindle is now gonna show me that authors books until the day I die

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I have never regretted skipping the options and only looking at the actual selection

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I really, really like OVDT, but the author has described it as sort of a palate cleanser side project, something to bang out quickly to get the satisfaction of making progress on a story.
so if you think OVDT is too snappy and too focused, then give TGAB a try.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

navyjack posted:

Did TGAB not go on hiatus and never came back? I enjoyed it well enough that if the story finished I’d give it a shot to take a look

no, still unfinished I believe. I think he's planning on going back to it once he finishes ovdt? This is all from some half remembered patreon updates I no longer have access to so I cant check.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
just clutter, its fine

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
using octave as a measure of volume is my favourite. Her voice dropped by several octaves as she turned to whisper sultrily in his ear, or his voice raising by octaves as he shouted defiance across the battlefield

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

This one is really funny because of what it implies when read/understood properly

one of the times I'll always take a break and really picture the scene, yeah

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

90s Cringe Rock posted:

This is a much better story than Thresholder, read it instead.

the author pulled the going-to-KU first chapters a month in advance of the actual release, so now I can't :shobon:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

catgirlgenius posted:

The Meizhen subtext honestly flew past my head my first time reading through Forge, so it was pretty easy to understand Ling Qi's viewpoint.

one of the funniest bits on reread is when ling qi askes cui what meizen wants for a gift and then is like "oh, a necklace, gently embraced in the firm slopes of heaving bosoms, ill head to a jewelry store" and cui is like meh i tried

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
if you're doing redacted cia docs please say what you're tolkien about

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Lone Goat posted:

speaking of dungeons, what happened to Dungeon Crawler Carl? last I remember they just started a level that was going to be a ccg or Pokemon or something and then it stopped updating on Royal Road?

I think he sort of gave up on RR and focused on patreon/KU
but the card game book is out on KU now

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
(supersupportive) wait so 10 chapters after where RR is they're still on the moon?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

RBA-Wintrow posted:

I bounced off it by chapter 10. Most of the characters are very passive. They don't do things, things happen to them. Only the dragon seems active and I found the baby speak irritating.

But I won't ignore multiple recommendations from this thread. I'll give it another go. There's not that many chapters yet anyway.

it doesnt really change from this I dont think, it's very slice of life and IMO a little boring. If you're not interested in the world, or in the kids-book/YA level affirmations that the protagonist is loveable and deserves to be happy, then theres not really much there. If you're interested in those things then awesome, it's pretty good at what it does.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
SupSup 75 also if a dude can be trivially baited into attempting to kill someone, he maybe wasnt cut out for that drink-endorsement hero life

also i understand that its an unavoidable fact of life that we will sometimes go two or occasionally even two and a half chapters without hearing about kibby but I M O any more than that is unreasonable and frankly absurd. I demand to know what kibby is doing and how she is feeling at all times. if the author is going to make a character that adorable then by god they need to keep me updated.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Einander posted:

The moral problem is secondary and debatable. The fact that it was tactically really, really stupid isn't. (SupSup 75) … If you're treating this like an actual combat situation (as the "strike to kill and you're blacklisted" rule already implies),

And if you’re treating it like an opportunity to reduce the completion for a spot in superhero school, then it’s pretty smart. Remains to be seen how it’s being graded.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

(SupSup 76)
Speaking of that kind of stuff, I kinda wonder if Konstantin has one of those original Skills, since his Skill sounds like the sort of thing that might have similar depth to Alden's own, and it's apparently a very high-value Skill since the guy wasn't able to get anything else aside from a single spell impression, despite being S-Rank.

(SupSup 76)
maybe (its definitely possible), but it could also be that an artonan wizard broke his wevvi set and decided it would be handy if he could get someone to just fix it for him, and then one of his colleagues remembered the time that he'd lent his coat out and got it back stained and decided that there needed to be a way to confirm which bastard it was who ruined it, and then one of the people battling with them for funding decided that screw those guys, that skill is gonna be s-rank just so it costs a fortune to fix the wevvi set, and now you get Kon.

once you get into design-by-committee, all bets are off

also (sup-sup patreon in general) i just realized alden won spree-day so hard that he impressed an artonan princeling with his extravagance. good job, conspicuous consumer alden!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Wittgen posted:

It is going to be so satisfying to see him push through those complications. That one teacher who is pissed that Alden is being admitted? In 30 chapters when Alden wins his respect, it is going to be immensely satisfying.

I like to imagine the Alden on Earth arc as that one meme with a guy in the corner, but it's Alden thinking, They don't know I'm a wizard.

Sup sup 77 it's gonna be weird, that's for sure. I mean, he's going to level up at an odd rate (faster because of wizard, slower because of advice from mother to wait as long as he can stand between affixations) , he's not going to show many results from the level up on his sheet because he wants to be boring and because he's not going to be pumping his stats hard compared to his skill, he's going to be spending a bunch of free time practicing wizard skills rather than whatever his courses say, and oh yeah he's gonna spend months at a time crippled from existential pain and unable to use his skills. So I genuinely have no idea how hero school will play out

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

quote:

I’m a real sucker for stories where the protagonist has to claw their way forward by making choices that may be necessary right now but will absolutely be terrible for them in the long run.

I'm reading a trash numbers-go-up one called *ahem* Accidental Champion: A LitRPG Apocalypse Tower Climber which (you may be surprised to hear) is a litrpg apocalypse tower climber which has elements of this. The dude has some initial advantages but stumbles on a lead in a way that makes him feel guilty about it, and then he (justifiably) feels like he has to take every chance at power he can so he can go home and save earth from The Invading Hordes. None of this is new ground, but watching the guy decide between the literal-harvesting-souls class and a diablo-2 style corpse explosion class when he still thinks hes a hero is pretty fun.

It's no better written than the hundreds of other litrpgapocalypsetowerclimber-likes, but the author is definitely aware of what they're doing with the 'are we the baddies' vibe and im interested enough in the train wreck to see where they go with it. It is like 95% straight litrpg and 5% character tho - i dont want anyone to accuse me of actually recommending it or anything. its not good. just to be clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Bremen posted:

SupSup 78 Can't say I really enjoyed this chapter, it was mostly Alden figuring out (or not figuring out) things from last chapter. That said, I will fully admit probably the reason I didn't enjoy it that much is because it means I have to wait for Wednesday to actually see the results of 77 I was hoping for. If I weren't reading it one chapter at a time it's probably a perfectly fine chapter.

supsup 78 yeah, i was ready for testing to be done and looking forward to hard-hitting interview questions. and I understand why we didnt get the second and it makes sense, but I guess in my head i had just got slightly hype for them discussing what happened on the moon.

not my favourite, but like you say, will be fine on a reread.