Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

[Thanks to friend nine-gear-crow for making me this fancy banner!]

So what the hell is this?

This is another thread for everyone's favorite pasttime with the WWE games: Watching a bunch of video game characters and animes beat the hell out of each other. If you're familiar with Iggy's LPFWA LP (or more generally, VGCW), then you know what you're in for, but if not that's okay! This LP isn't connected to any of the previous threads, so it's a fresh start for everyone.

If you've never seen a thread like this, the setup is pretty straightforward. The AI and simulation in the WWE games are surprisingly robust, so we pretty much just sit back and let the game do...well, basically everything. We pick *who* wrestles, and occasionally book a specific match we want to see, but otherwise the game handles everything. Booking, promos, run-ins, even the actual gameplay is all handled by the game itself. We have no idea what they'll say when they cut a promo, none of the matches are fixed, and anything can happen - once we hit the "start show" button, we're as surprised as you are.

How is the LP going to work?

The actual LP itself will be in two parts: The live show will be streamed at on my Twitch channel on a semi-regular basis. While there is no real schedule to speak of (mostly due to timezones and work schedules) it'll almost always be announced a couple days in advance, along with a taste of the upcoming card. Afterwards, once the recording is uploaded and processed, we'll do a proper write-up post with the show, the complete card, and the most important update of all - ~lore~. As noted above, we have no idea what the game is going to throw at us, so expect to see all kinds of wacky stories as we attempt to justify whatever the game came up with.

What's the deal with "Season 0"?

Season 0 is mostly there as archived material. It's a combination of a lot of things, including learning how the hell WWE2K17 works, nerfing and buffing characters as we tweak the balance, and allowing some rivalries and relationships to form naturally. After all, we could have picked a couple names out of a hat and been like "So our first major storyline is that Guile and... *click* Dio are beefing. Yeah, we'll go with that." But I think we can all agree that the following is much more interesting on every level:

- Dio cuts a promo claiming to be the biggest, baddest motherfucker in the locker room.
- Buzz Lightye, against all odds, manages to hold off both Jotaro and Star Platinum in an elimination tag match.
- Dio hires Guile to take out Buzz and make a statement.
- At the start of his next match, Guile ambushes Buzz with a sledgehammer and leaves him for dead in the ring.
- A few weeks later, Buzz is revived in an unspeakable act of corporate necromancy, paid for by taking away everyone's Money in the Bank.
- Guile hunts down Dio for failing to pay him for the initial hit job.

All the Season 0 videos are already up on YouTube for your enjoyment, so why not catch up on the lore (and the great matches) while you wait for the next show?

Who is running this anyway?

Well technically its me since I'm the one with the game and the one who will be streaming it, however my interaction with the game is minimal and I'm pretty much only here to push buttons and make the AI do its thing. This entire LP was the brainchild of Artix who is also our loremaster. There's also a generic "management" group consisting of friends we consulted for advice during the Season 0 stuff but now that everything is mostly sorted out we won't be requiring their input as much!

Will you guys use my character? How can I contribute?

In all honesty, probably not. We're running a little low on space for custom wrestlers, and it has to be someone we want to begin with. That said, if you have access to 2K17 on PC, get in touch and we'll see. Otherwise, the most important thing you can do is show up and be part of the crowd. The biggest factor in who stays on the main show is "Who do the people want to see?" so if someone's not getting much of a response, they might be on the chopping block!

Anything else important?

The full roster will be in the second post, but if you're looking for something a little more nitty-gritty, we have a spreadsheet that has rosters, records, match history, and more for your viewing pleasure.

Episodes

Season 0
YouTube Playlist

Stream #1
Stream #2
Stream #3
Stream #4
Stream #5
Stream #6
Stream #7
Stream #8

Season 1
Season 1, Show 1
Season 1, Show 2

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Show 1 - Enter The Smackhole

This is our prime time show, the one where we put our best, brightest, most loved and most hated. Here you'll find the elite of the Frog Nugget Federation League wrestlers!

Men:

Women:

Show 2 - Smackhole Zero

This may be the B-Team but don't let that fool you! Success in the Diet Smackhole earns you a chance to be promoted to the main show, and the opportunity to play with the big boys and girls! While they may be less popular, there's more on the line for these folks so competition (and the fighting) is vicious and fierce!

Men:

Women:

Diet Smackhole
A quick showcase of one or two matches from both shows!

Tag Teams and Stables

[Will be updated soon, need to confirm a few things first!]

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 1, 2017

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I can't believe this is live, this is gonna be such a trainwreck. :allears:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Aw yeah, I love watching these AIs fumble around!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Aw yeah, I love watching these AIs fumble around!

Oh, do we have the match for you then.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Oh, I've been watching these since they've been posted on Youtube. :v:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Now that its not 7am, time to announce our first official show!

Join us on Thursday, August 31st noon PST/3pm EST/8pm BST for the first completely canon live show of the thread! This time we're headed to the Diet Smackhole, with a heaping load of Extreme Rules matches, and a special appearance from some of the Smackhole heavy hitters for what is sure to be an extremely exciting match! So, what's on the agenda?

And of course, our headline match, featuring the champion of the League of Heels, Little Mac himself, defending his title against Soldier 76! These are two of our best wrestlers, foks, so its sure to be a great match!

We'll be live for this show on my Twitch channel when its time to go on Thursday, but don't worry if you miss out! The full stream will be up on youtube the day after for those who couldn't make it, and those who just want to see the matches again!

Until then, who are you rooting for, thread?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I've been watching Season 0 as it went up and enjoying it greatly, seeing it become a full-blown Thing makes me very happy. :allears:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A - Wa-lu-i-gi yeah yeah yeah!

B - Oof, that's a real tough one, I like them both making it real hard to pick, so I'll just root for a good fight!

C - Jack, cause Ryu's eyebrows weird me out.

D - I think Green Goblin proved himself in last time's Triple Threat, so he's got my support.

E - Haven't seen these guys in action yet on the arena, so I hope it'll be a good match to get a feel for'em.

F - I'm hoping for The Spider to butt in and win the belt!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oh

my

god

:allears:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

why is junkrat so... clean?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Little disappointed by the lack of 9S, AKA Worst Best Boy and Mr. Shakedown, but otherwise this poo poo looks amazing.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Ah brings back memories of VGCWs. Time to get used to the new improved graphic of 2K17.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

The graphics may have improved but the physics and AI sure haven't, we've had all kinds of weird glitches already, including Miku encountering a fatal error on top of a ladder, the referee spending a solid minute staring at Little Mac and the ring suddenly bearing some kind of spectre that I can only assume is part of Wario's moustache.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Faerie Fortune posted:

The graphics may have improved but the physics and AI sure haven't, we've had all kinds of weird glitches already, including Miku encountering a fatal error on top of a ladder, the referee spending a solid minute staring at Little Mac and the ring suddenly bearing some kind of spectre that I can only assume is part of Wario's moustache.

And Captain Lou Albano literally doing The Mario outside the ring because he kept trying to walk up a set of stairs that were blocked by a ladder clipping through the turnbuckle so his AI had a pathfinding meltdown.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Someone throw together a way for us bet imaginary points on these matches.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Shrek looks dead inside

Appropriate

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm just looking through the characters and I'm dying

Holy poo poo

this is amazing

I haven't even watched a video yet and I know this will be magical

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, some of the character designs are pretty incredible. I'm especially impressed with Optimus :allears:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Came for busted rear end physics and The Mario.
Stayed for the Miku/Samus grudge match.

Christ that was brutal.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

PotatoManJack posted:

Yeah, some of the character designs are pretty incredible. I'm especially impressed with Optimus :allears:

My personal favourite is Skeletor, he's just so good!

for the record I made very few of these characters myself, most are downloaded from within the game, all I've done is maybe tweaked some stats a little bit and give some of the ladies shorts so we don't get panty shots every few seconds

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This is amazing. I took a look at the wrestlers and mistook Lou Albano for Bud Spencer and now that's my headcannon. :allears:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

We're going live in about 5 minutes, but before we do I'd like to introduce you to someone very special.

Every wrestling league has to have a Boss, the Big Cheese, the one everybody answers to. This one is no different, I am merely a showrunner after all -- so today it is my greatest pleasure to introduce to you the CEO of the Frog Nugget Federation League - please give a warm welcome to King Nugget!

King Nugget will be joining us for our show today and I'm sure he'll be a great addition to the commentary team! To check out his thoughts on the matches, as well as ours, join us in a few minutes over at https://www.twitch.tv/superherofae

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Heads up for everyone, Fae's having some internet trouble so she might be a few minutes. We're at the title match though! If you want to come hang out and be here, now's the time!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Welcome to the first official episode of FNF Wrestling! Tonight's show takes us to Smackhole Zero, with a special ruleset - Extreme Rules! Every match tonight has the special condition of no disqualifications. That means no count-outs outside the ring (though it is not Falls Count Anywhere), weapons are legal, and anything goes. Run-ins? Interference? It's all good under Extreme Rules.

Season 1, Show 1

Sorry for the choppiness near the end, my computer (and internet) were really freaking out for some reason. Hopefully it won't happen during the next show!

This week's news:

- Following their performances last night, Samurai Jack and Junkrat will be facing off in a #1 Contender's match next week to determine who challenges Goro Majima for the Youtube Heavyweight title.
- Doctor Doom and Green Goblin took great offense to the others' color choices, each claiming to have sole ownership of that particular shade of green. Therefore, they will be facing off next show with their wardrobe on the line. The winner gets to keep their colors, the loser has their outfit banished forever.

Coming up next on Enter the Smackhole:

- It's a grudge match between Guile and Buzz Lightye as Buzz returns from death itself for a chance at revenge! Plus, tag team action as 2B and Android 18 take on Rei and Asuka! See you all next time!

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 4, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Faerie Fortune posted:

My personal favourite is Skeletor, he's just so good!

for the record I made very few of these characters myself, most are downloaded from within the game, all I've done is maybe tweaked some stats a little bit and give some of the ladies shorts so we don't get panty shots every few seconds

Skeletor is magnificent, and you had me when I saw them on youtube and Captain America teamed up with Naked Snake as "The Patriots"

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Holy crap, Little Mac destroyed Soldier in that title match. Mac is seriously one of my favorite fighters on the roster because he's always a great performer. What a guy.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

.Mac seems to have a knack for stirring up poo poo too, from hitting the ref in his debut to his rivalry with the Spider. Just an all-around fantastic source of entertainment.

Speaking of entertainment, I'm looking forward to Buzz's (re?)match with Guile like you wouldn't believe.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

It will actually be Buzz Lightye's first real match against Guile! They have fought before but that was when Guile killed him so it was very unexpected and very short!

Speaking of that though, the next stream will be on :siren:Monday September 4th, 8pm BST/noon PST/3pm EST at the usual place!:siren: Once again we'll be going live about five minutes before we're set to start to give people chance to get notifications and come on over to the stream!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Its showtime in three hours! For those who need a reminder of what we've got on schedule tonight, here's a little preview!

Faerie Fortune posted:

Coming up next on Enter the Smackhole:

- It's a grudge match between Guile and Buzz Lightye as Buzz returns from death itself for a chance at revenge! Plus, tag team action as 2B and Android 18 take on Rei and Asuka! See you all next time!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Stream's going live in 5 minutes! Don't miss it!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Oh my god, the end of the Killer Robots vs. Eva Girls match was :black101: epic.

Please give Asuka her eyepatch in tribute to her traumatic head injury.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

(Sorry for this being a little late, I wanted to put the news up when we announced the date of the next show and timing hasn't quite worked out until now!)

Last week, it was the first proper show for Enter the Smackhole, and what a show it was. Robbie Rotten telling the audience to go gently caress themselves is exciting, right?

Season 1, Show 2

This week's news:

- Goro Majima is itching for a fight, and to prove it he's issued an open challenge to anyone on the roster. Who will be the first to answer his call?

- Buzz Lightye finally got a chance for his revenge, and this time his animated clay golem body proved too much for Guile to handle. Now that he's reclaimed the core of his golem form, is it time for Buzz to pay Dio a visit?

- After a long and grueling match, 2B and Android 18 stood victorious over Rei and Asuka of The First Children. Asuka will be taking a week or two off to recover from breaking her...well, everything, but once she comes back, it'll be time for a rematch - and this time, the tag team titles will be on the line.

Coming up next:

We're going to take a brief pit stop at Diet Smackhole, where we'll get a chance to see some of the lesser used and under-appreciated wrestlers on the roster. It'll be the debut of several folks, including Hellboy, Cloud, and Kira and Killer Queen!

Join us for the next show on Thursday September 14th at 8pm BST/3pm EST/noon PST over at https://www.twitch.tv/superherofae

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm so happy that Buzz Lightye got his revenge. :allears: Once he took down Jotaro and Star Platinum single-handedly, I knew we had a winner on our hands.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

We're going live with the pre-show round about now so come along and join us to speculate on tonight's matches!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I was not expecting something as inconsequential as Killer Queen VS Black Panther to result in such interesting lore.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
In the old LPFWA lore, Palpatine would come to the ring backed by a marching band of Stormtroopers that nobody else could see. I'm glad to see he just cut out the middle man for TFNWL and just comes to the ring with band instruments already in tow :allears:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
CURSE THESE STREAMS BEING IN THE MIDDLE OF MY WORKDAY :argh:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Shei-kun posted:

CURSE THESE STREAMS BEING IN THE MIDDLE OF MY WORKDAY :argh:

Same but sleep-night. :argh::hf::smith: