Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

quote:

In the 17th century, the seas are as wild as the untamed heart of a young woman. But when you set out on the schooner Lafond Deux, bound for the West Indies, your thoughts are only of your ailing father who awaits your care. Little do you know that your innocent journey will soon turn to dangerous adventure.

You barely survive an encounter with pirates, whose plans for you involve a fate worse than death. The explosives, the rocky reefs, the vicious crocodile - all these are obstacles which you must overcome with cunning and agility.
True, it's not easy; but at least you can control your fate. What you cannot control is much more dangerous: your passion for Nicholas Jamison, the handsome pirate captain.

Tall and lean, with azure eyes that penetrate deep into your soul, he makes your blood quicken despite his unsavory past. When you're in his arms, swirling around the dance floor or secluded in the flowered depths of the gazebo,
you are apt to forget your mission.

But don't dally too long with Nick. For your father is waiting, and on his rescue lies the fate of more than one man. Prepare for adventure on the high seas, lass. You'll need every bit of pluck you can muster.

In PLUNDERED HEARTS, Infocom brings your wildest fantasies to life. You'll thrill to spine-tingling peril, heart-pounding romance, and challenging predicaments. To create this exotic adventure, author Amy Briggs read hundreds of romance novels, researched 17 century costumes and ships, and was wooed by a dashing pirate.

Published by Infocom in 1987, the text adventure Plundered Hearts was a bit of an interactive fiction experiment for its time, being somewhere between a swashbuckling pirate adventure and a bodice-ripper romance. Notably, it's also one of the earliest video games to have a female protagonist (with the other early notables being Metroid in '86, King's Quest IV in '88, and... Ms. Pac-Man back in '81).

It was Amy Briggs' first and only game for Infocom before the company's closure, which is unfortunate, because it's a pretty drat good game. Remarkably for an IF title from the period, the characters (and player character) have plenty of personality, and the story sweeps you along at a brisk pace without miring you in puzzles, but while still giving you plenty of interactivity. I was pretty much reared on Infocom games as a kid, but I didn't get the opportunity to play this one until the mid-'90s, and it's still one of my favorites among their library.

It's not a long or difficult game, but there's still plenty for players to do. In keeping with its adventure/romance-novel roots, the game progresses through a series of set-pieces, but for the most part remains within a single contiguous world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
The backstory of the game is actually given to you with the game's "feelies," little objects that Infocom would include in the game's box that would represent items and things in the actual game. (In some cases this was copy protection, but it's also just pretty fun.) In any case, included with Plundered Hearts was this letter.

quote:

St. Sinistra, 5 January
Dimsford House, London
Honored Lady,
It pleases Me that You have the Wit and Gumption not to feel
obligated to wait on your Father's Permission to reply to my Letters. Of
course He could not refuse You the Opportunity of writing to Myself, his
new Friend and Governor.
While I customarily describe the Beauty of my little Kingdom, this
Time I have less than good News to impart. Your Father has been taken ill
of a wasting tropical Disease. My own Surgeon has reviewed his Condition
and predicts that without loving Encouragement, He may not survive more
than a few Months.
Dimsford, too ill to write Himself, begged Me to inform You, his only
Daughter, of his Situation. With due Respect, I suggest that You take ship
to St. Sinistra by the first Opportunity. I am convinced that Sight of your
beloved Face will dissuade your Father from his Melancholia.
I have instructed Capt. Bartholomew Davis, of my Flagship Lafond
Deux, to deliver You to my grateful Charge; He should arrive in London
directly after You receive this Missive. Pray accept this Banknote to defray
the Cost of a new Wardrobe; any Guest of Mine must be suitably dressed.
Trusting that your Voyage will be comfortable, I am,
Your most sovereign Lord,
Governor of St. Sinistra,
Jean Lafond

So: We're a young English lass, our beloved father has fallen ill on an island in the Caribbean, and we're being summoned to his side by Jean Lafond, a man who names ships in his fleet after himself. I'm sure he's an admirable and upstanding person.

:smugdon:

Anyway, let's get on with the actual game.

quote:

>SHOOT THE PIRATE
Trembling, you fire the heavy arquebus. You hear its loud report over the roaring wind, yet the dark figure still approaches. The gun falls from your nerveless hands.

"You won't kill me," he says, stepping over the weapon. "Not when I am the only protect you have from Jean Lafond."

Chestnut hair, tousled by the wind, frames the tanned oval of his face. Lips curving, his eyes rake over your inadequately dressed body, the damp chemise clinging to your legs and heaving bosom, your gleaming hair. You are intensely aware of the strength of his hard seaworn body, of the deep sea blue of his eyes. And then his mouth is on yours, lips parted, demanding, and you arch into his kiss...

He presses you against him, head bent. "But who, my dear," he whispers into your hair, "will protect you from me?"

Amy Briggs' research for making this game included reading lots of romance novels. It comes through. On occasion.

But that was just a teaser, not something that actually happened.

quote:

PLUNDERED HEARTS
Infocom interactive fiction
<copyright/serial stuff>

LATE ONE SPRING NIGHT IN THE WEST INDIES...

A crash overhead! Pirates are boarding the Lafond Deux! The first mate hurries you into Captain Davis's cabin.

"Good, you brought the girl," Davis smirks. "She'll keep the pirates busy. She was only a tool of Lafond's,
anyway. Let me just find that co--" A man on deck screams in agony and Davis starts. "Let's go." The captain thrusts you on the bed and walks out, locking the door.

His laugh echoes. "Best get comfortable, girl. You're likely to be there for the rest of your life."

Cabin, on the bed
You are in an officer's cabin, lit by the firelight glowing through a porthole. A door is to starboard. Except for the built-in bed, the room seems to have been emptied thoroughly, if hurriedly.

And the action begins already! We're under attack, and surprise, Jean Lafond was an rear end in a top hat all along. This may not be the best situation for us, so let's take quick stock of things.

quote:

>score
In 0 turns, you have achieved a score of 0 out of 25 points. This gives you the rank of Damsel in Distress.
:j:

quote:

>inventory
You have your reticule (hanging from your wrist). It seems that your reticule contains smelling salts and a banknote. You are wearing your kid slippers, a linen chemise and a cotton frock.

>examine reticule
You and Mama made the little drawstring bag a few months before she passed on. It's amazing how much it can hold.

The reticule is our Bag of Holding for the game, and as far as I can tell it has infinite capacity, which simplifies things greatly. Infocom included a reticule of your very own in the game box, although I suspect Miss Dimsford's isn't made of nylon.

quote:

>x salts
You always carry your smelling salts, for emergencies. There is a small tag on one side of them.
"The Falcon! The Falcon conquers!" yells someone.

>read tag
It says, "For cases of vapors, hysteria or collapse, revive persons with the smelling salts."

>x note
This is the banknote that came in your game package.
You recognize a voice from far away, "Don't take that! Look in the cabin at the stern -- you'll find some fun there!" It sounds like Davis.

Sure enough:

quote:

>x slippers
They are dainty yet practical kidskin shoes.
Suddenly, the ship lurches to one side, throwing you out of the bed. A coffer slides from under the bed and bumps against your foot.

>x frock
It is your favorite old frock, looking rather bedraggled without its hoops, which you hadn't time to put on during the pirate attack. The worn fabric of the skirt often catches on things, tearing.
With a creak and a crash, somewhere a mast falls to the deck.

>x chemise
It's covered by other clothes.

We could do something about that, but this doesn't seem like the most opportune time. When I was 10 and first played the game, I pictured the kid slippers as pink bunny slippers. Then I read the description and thought our heroine wore the flayed skins of children on her feet. Oops.

quote:

>x coffer
It is a small heavy chest, with a lock. It is closed.
"Cap'n Jamison! We've got 'em!" cries a rough voice.

>get coffer
Taken.
Crash! You whirl around to see the door shatter, kicked by a hulking man, his twisted visage blackened with soot and blood. "Me name's Andy Crulley, and ladies learn to love me," sniggers the pirate, advancing toward you.

Oh dear. :ohdear: Whatever shall we do?

(Also, if you want me to go back and look/try something else, say so. The game has a surprising amount of flexibility, as we'll see.)

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
bite his dick

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
This should be interesting.

You examined the frock and the chemise, but you neglected to look in the chemise.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
>enter bed
>search bed
>take shotgun hidden in bedframe and take out the garbage

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

CaptainCaveman posted:

You examined the frock and the chemise, but you neglected to look in the chemise.
Well, we attempted to examine the chemise, but the frock was in the way. I guess we can take care of that now.

quote:

>remove frock
With pirates attacking?! Mama would have been shocked.
Oh. Well, let's try checking ourselves out anyway.

quote:

>look in chemise
Just you and your unmentionables.

>x unmentionables
Shh! Why do you think they're called unmentionables?
Scandalous!

Sjs00 posted:

bite his dick

Straight to the point.

quote:

>bite pirate's dick
[I don't know the word "dick"]
>bite pirate's penis
[I don't know the word "penis"]
>bite pirate's manhood
[I don't know the word "manhood"]
>bite pirate
Biting Crulley has no desirable effect.
"Avast me, but ain't ye a beauty," sniggers the pirate. His breath is heavy with rum.

So much for that. At least Crulley was willing to let us bite him before continuing his advances.

Ratatozsk posted:

>enter bed
>search bed
>take shotgun hidden in bedframe and take out the garbage

quote:

>get in bed
You are now in the bed.
"They call me Andy, but I'm really randy," sniggers the pirate, advancing toward you.

Crulley drags you, despite your resistance, to your feet. Then suddenly he grunts, stiffens and slumps into your arms. Stunned, Crulley collapses at your feet, his eyes rolling.

A tall form blocks the shattered door, one fist still raised from striking your attacker. You catch a glimpse of the hard masculinity of his broad shoulders, the implied power in the scar that etches the stranger's jaw, and feel tremors course through your veins. Then you realize how ragged are his shirt, patched breeches and high boots. Intuitively, you understand -- he is the dreaded Falcon, scourge of the sea! Alas, your fate is sealed. Resigned,
you meet his sea-blue eyes.

Okay, going for the shotgun in the bed turned out to be a bust, but somebody helped us out anyway. Hopefully he didn't just want to be first in line.

quote:

>bite falcon
Biting Captain Jamison doesn't do anything.

He's versed in Caribbean biting etiquette, at least.

quote:

To your surprise, the stranger bows. "Well met, my lady." His accent is cultured, his smile vibrant. "I am Captain Nicholas Jamison, known in these waters as 'The Falcon'. Your father has sent me." He chuckles at your glare of distrust. "Yes, you are like your sire. You needn't believe me untried -- I carry this." He hands you a missive.

> read missive
The missive is in dear Papa's handwriting:

"Dearest child,
You are in gravest danger! Lafond is a viper with the smile of a saint, my most particular enemy. I have only now learned the depth of his deception. Should Lafond get you in his power... It is unspeakable!
I have sided with Nicholas Jamison, a sea captain and a gentleman, whose circumstances have driven him to extreme measures, even branding him a pirate. Nevertheless, I trust him and so may you.
You will be safe -- but there is another for whom I fear! My horse is waiting and I ride to her rescue. Jamison will deliver this to you. Should anything happen to me, you must rely on him. I remain, with love, your father."

The pirate captain glances around the empty room, then notices the coffer in your arms. "Davis's safety box -- my men were hoping I'd find it." He takes it and nudges the unconscious man on the floor, "I wonder how Crulley knew you were here? Just his bad luck? He'll be flogged when he wakes."

The pirate bows. "My lady, may I offer my protection and my ship until your father is free?"

Well, it's either go with our obvious love interest rescuer, or stay on the ship that's about to be burned to the waterline. Not a difficult decision.

quote:

>yes
You nod tentatively.
He chuckles. "Brave lady, to trust a stranger -- and a pirate. Who knows, perhaps I forged your father's signature? Keep by my side as we go to my ship -- few sailors respect a lady's dignity." He helps you through the door.

Deck
The deck is an avalanche of noise and blood. Lit by roaring fires, silhouetted forms crash swords, dancing around the screaming wounded.

Out of the smoke staggers Davis, tugging a bloodied knife from the back of a pirate. Davis's eyes gleam white from a face blackened and bloody, his lips dark red as if he has been drinking blood. He turns to face you.

Uh-oh.

quote:

> bite Davis
Biting Davis doesn't do anything.
Davis leaps across the deck to your side, "Free me or she dies!" he yells, jabbing a knife up to your throat. In one smooth motion, Captain Jamison draws his rapier, pulls you free and stabs. Davis slumps into a bloody heap.

Swooning, you fall into the Falcon's arms. You are dimly aware of being carried to the other ship, down a short flight of stairs, and laid gently on a soft bed. When you gather strength to look around, the Falcon has left you in peace.

You remain confined to this room, a large cupboard blocking the door. Meals are brought by a peg-legged old man and eaten in silence. Of your handsome rescuer you see nothing. Slowly the days pass.

So there's our introduction, and we've been rescued twice in a dozen moves. Maybe we could've done things a little differently.

Rewind to when Crulley burst in on us...

quote:

>x pirate
The pirate's unsavory face is crisscrossed with scars, and those not from shaving nicks, to judge by his scruffy beard. A hook replaces one of his hands at the end of a torn black sleeve.

Maybe we can sweet-talk him out of this by complimenting his hook?

quote:

>Andy, your hook is so big
[I don't know the word "so."]

>ask crulley about hook
He snarls at the memory, "''Twere bit off by a monster crocodile."

>imitate clock ticking
[I don't know the word "imitate."]

Well, that didn't work. At this point Jamison comes in and KOs him, so let's back up and just try the brute force approach, unladylike as it may be.

quote:

>hit pirate
With all your strength you whack the pirate over the head with the coffer.
The pirate stumbles, dizzy. "Avast me, but ain't ye a beauty," slurs the pirate. His breath is heavy with rum.

>again
With all your strength you whack the pirate over the head with the coffer.
Stunned, Crulley collapses at your feet, his eyes rolling.
The door creaks slightly as a tall form bends through its smashed remains. "You seem to have this situation well in hand," timbers a well-bred voice. You catch a glimpse of the hard masculinity of his...

Much better. Although, considering how well that went, maybe we don't need Jamison after all? There's no reason we can't subdue the rest of the pirates, armed with our trusty lockbox. Then we can steal their ship and get out of here.

quote:

>hit jamison
"Please, I'm not trying to hurt you," the stranger says, casually deflecting the blow.
:argh: Stupid pirate, I don't need your help!

quote:

The pirate bows. "My lady, may I offer my protection and my ship until your father is free?"

>no
"No!" you say pertly.
He sighs, "You share your father's stubborn streak. I wished not to do this." He leaps to your side, hauling you up onto his shoulder, and carries you out of the room. Captain Jamison sets you on your feet again on the horror of the deck.

:argh::argh::argh:

:sigh:

There has to be something we can do to work out our frustration.

quote:

>push crulley under bed
You do so, but the ship rolls to one side and Crulley rolls out.
Oddly satisfying.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

quote:

TWO DAYS LATER...

You blear awake from a bored nap, focusing on something shiny. You discern it to be a new ring, on a strong hand in the act of tying a ribbon onto a rapier.

The man with the rapier and the ring turns, "Sorry, I tried not to wake you." You sit up as if the bed had caught fire, for this is the Falcon, changed from his rags into a finery all red velvet and white lace -- and in your presence!

Captain's Quarters, on the bed
You are in the captain's quarters of the Helena Louise, where you have been trapped these past days since your "rescue" from the Lafond Deux. The room has a masculine air, with ebony panelling, a large messy table, and a rumpled bed (upon which you lie). A curtain masks the forward exit and gilded woodwork decorates the sill of the tall window looking aft.

For the game's purposes, fore (towards the front of the ship) and aft (towards the rear) are north and south respectively.

Anyway, we've survived two days on a pirate ship relatively unharmed, although that comes with the price of being confined in Jamison's quarters. At least we have Dad's assurances that he's a gentleman.

quote:

>look at falcon
Jamison is finely dressed, in red velvet coat and full breeches, with a long gold embroidered vest and waterfalls of white lace at his neck, wrists and boottops. His rapier is bedecked with a fringed gold ribbon. He wears no wig, his unpowdered hair tied neatly at the back of his neck.

>ask jamison about ship
He fails to notice you've spoken.
:argh:

The game's characters aren't very communicative outside of their scripted speeches. You can ask about x, but most topics will give you a default non-response, with only a couple of hits. Even asking him about Crulley (which would seem like a logical concern for us) doesn't get us anywhere.

quote:

>ask jamison about father
"I admire and respect your father greatly."
"We have anchored off St. Sinistra," says Captain Jamison, "and I must look like a guest at Lafond's dance tonight. I will find and free your father, and then finally wreak my revenge on Lafond." He half draws his rapier from its scabbard.

>x rapier
Jamison's rapier is a dangerous looking sword with a narrow pointed blade. It is decorated with a big floppy ribbon.
"I am sorry you have been confined down here, but I don't trust my lonely crew with such beauty. Crulley isn't the only man aboard with few principles." He smiles at you, eyes lingering, and takes your hand. You feel your color rising. "If anything goes wrong, turn to Cookie. He is quite deaf, but capable. He'll see you through."

>ask jamison about lafond
"I abhor the fiend." He clenches a fist.

His look darkens. "You should know why I hate Lafond: Some years ago, as my brother and his bride sailed to a new life in Virginia, pirates struck. Their ship was boarded, looted and burned, the women taken, never to be seen again. A sailor, the one survivor, watched as a man of Lafond's description shot my brother in the back as he tried to save the women. Lafond has now bought respectability, but he shall never buy peace." Jamison straightens resolutely, bows, and departs.

Infodump over. Looks like Lafond is a bad dude, and Jamison is leaving us to our own devices. We could be a good girl and stay put, but how will we have an adventure if we do that?

There was a curtain to the north, so let's check what's behind it.

quote:

>get up
You get out of the bed.

>n
The large cupboard is not flush against the doorsill. You squeeze through the opening between cupboard and wall.

Landing
You are on the landing of a steep stairway heading up and down. A large cupboard against the aft wall blocks the doorway to the captain's quarters.

So the curtain transformed into a cupboard between turns, or something. :confused:

No obvious exits besides up and down the stairs, so we'll start with the one most likely to get us killed or worse.

quote:

>up
The door at the top of the stairs won't open.

Never mind. Down it is.

quote:

>down
Aft Hold
This is a gloomy, damp area at the bottom of the Helena Louise. To the fore there seems to be a little more light,
or you can climb up some steep stairs.

>n
You hear a scuffling noise ahead, and scraping up near the ceiling. You would think it was caused by rats, but for the definite curse you heard before all the movement.

Hold
Steep stairs lead up in the dimness to a canvas hatch above. Rats' scratchings counterpoint the lullaby of bilge water sloshing in the bulkheads, punctuated by footsteps slapping the deck overhead. You may move fore or aft.

Behind a high fence, decorated by a sign, are stacked the food and ammunition supplies; casks of rum, water,
flour and salt meat interspersed with kegs of gunpowder and shot. A closed gate is the only way in.
What was that sound when we came in? Meh. I'm sure it's nothing.

quote:

>n
Crew's Quarters
The crew sleeps, in shifts, in this cramped space under the forecastle. A breeze blows in on a moonbeam through a grate in the ceiling. A low doorsill is abaft.

This area must also serve as sickroom. Strewn about the floor are various powders and spills of malodorous potions. In one corner, a large blood stain indicates an amputation; in another is the smear of a leech, dropped off a bloodletting.

A small bottle has been dropped nearby.
A chipped piece of mirror sits propped on a shoulder-high timber.

Adventure game logic dictates that we pick up everything that isn't nailed down, so here goes.

quote:

>get all
leather bottle: Taken.
bit of mirror: Taken.

"I gotta let Lafond know 'e's comin'." Crulley stands on deck above, talking to himself, his voice floating down through a grate in the ceiling. "First I do in the mates aboard-ship, with this and t'other mischief," he grunts,
and you hear a snapping noise, like a taut rope being cut. "Now to warn the boss and collect me pay. Off I go,
har." He dives into the sea.

Um. Okay. That didn't sound good. We should probably let Jamison know about that... but first, let's check out the bottle we found. Never know when a good bottle might be usable.

quote:

>x bottle
It's a small leather bottle, with a tiny label on one side. It appears to be almost empty.

>read label
The label reads, "Laudanum drops. Squeeze into a glass of wine to sleep free of pain and mental anguish."

You hear a footstep, and turn to see Captain Jamison. "Hello! How did you escape? Don't stutter, I won't lock you up again -- you are safe as long as you remain below-decks. I came down to give you this -- my allotment from the coffer." He nods at the box in his arms.
Jamison starts to pin a jewelled brooch on your clothes, but, "Devil take it, the clasp is broken. I'll have it repaired." He folds the pretty thing into your hand. "And I meant to reassure you that if the men suddenly abandon ship, they are off to help me. Rodney will stay behind with you." He hands the coffer to you. "Please return this to my quarters for me, will you?" and walks swiftly away.

What the--- get back here so I can warn you about Crulley, drat it! :argh:

Oh, whatever. Let's see what he gave us.

quote:

>x brooch
All diamonds winking fire, tears of sapphire and crushed rubies in an oval setting, it is a pity that the clasp of the jewelled brooch has broken. The gold pin at the back swings about uselessly.

Well, it's pretty, at least. I guess we should at least do the errand he asked us to do before we figure out what to do about Crulley.

quote:

>s
Hold
You gradually notice a familiar, worrying smell, sniff, and identify it as smoke. A tiny glow of fire creeps across a stretch of floor -- inside the cage full of ammunition.

That... that definitely doesn't look good. And we're still stuck belowdecks. What now?

Score: 1/25

1 - picking up the bottle of laudanum

Inventory
Coffer
Jewelled brooch with a broken clasp
Leather bottle of laudanum
Piece of a mirror
Missive (from our father)
Reticule
Smelling salts
Banknote
Chemise (worn)
Cotton frock (worn)
Slippers (worn)

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
We should probably stomp on the fire or kick it or something. Let's try to grab a jug of rum too.

I'm assuming that there's not much to do in the first room if you took us out of there, but if not let's search/examine the cupboard, table, engravings, and bed.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Ratatozsk posted:

We should probably stomp on the fire or kick it or something. Let's try to grab a jug of rum too.

Never know we might need some rum. And putting out the fire sounds wise, too.

quote:

>step on fire
[That sentence isn't one I recognize.]

>extinguish fire
You aren't anywhere near the fuse!
That might be a problem.

quote:

>x fire
The burning fuse is quite near the fence, several yards from the pile of gunpowder kegs opposite the gate.

>open gate
It's quite locked.

>x fence
The fence is made of thick, finely woven wire mesh, uncuttable and unclimbable. Except for a gap of about 6 inches over the closed gate, the cage is secure from ceiling to damp floorboards.

So we'll either have to find a way to open the gate, or... get over it?

quote:

I'm assuming that there's not much to do in the first room if you took us out of there, but if not let's search/examine the cupboard, table, engravings, and bed.
I just came down to get an idea of how big the accessible map is (not very), so let's go back up.

quote:

>s
Aft Hold

u
Landing

>x cupboard
It is closed.

>open it
Opened. It is a dark messy bed, set entirely within and illing the large cupboard. A cabin boy must sleep here when Jamison isn't using it. Kicked into a far corner is a pile of clothes.

>get clothes
You can't reach the pile of clothes.

:confused:

quote:

>enter cupboard
Sleeping Cupboard
The bed is softer than it looks, plumped up with fresh straw. A soft, if somewhat cramped, bunk for the tall bulk of Jamison. The cupboard opens to the fore.
Kicked into a far corner is a pile of clothes.

Okay, so the cupboard is a room. Maybe if we take Jamison's clothes we can disguise ourselves as him and commandeer the ship.

quote:

>get clothes
You pick up the pile of clothes. It separates into a pair of breeches and a shirt.

>x breeches
The breeches are about your size.

>x shirt
The shirt is clean and not too big.

Okay, it might not be suitable for a Captain Jamison disguise, but if we need to do any cross-dressing we're set.

quote:

>out
Landing

>s
You squeeze through the opening between cupboard and wall.
Captain's Quarters
The reefs are definitely getting larger.

So we actually have not one, but two timed puzzles to solve here: we have to put out that burning fuse in the hold, and deal with whatever Crulley did topside that has the ship drifting towards the reefs.

And we're still locked belowdecks.

quote:

>x bed
Someone appears to have tumbled out of it in a hurry.

Your eyes are drawn to a flicker of light off the sea. Squinting, you see a man swimming to shore, moonlight flashing off his hook.

Crulley! :argh:

quote:

x engravings
[I don't know the word "engravings."]

>x table
You have no need for that, milady.

The end of a rope ladder blows past the window.

Wait, what?

quote:

>climb ladder
It's on the other side of the window.

>open window
These windows don't open.

Almost looked like we had a way above deck there.

Score: 2/25
1 - finding some men's clothes

New Inventory
Men's breeches, shirt

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

[quote="“Seyser Koze”" post="“476039741”"]
Okay, so the cupboard is a room. Maybe if we take Jamison’s clothes we can disguise ourselves as him and commandeer the ship.
[/quote]

Likely one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-bed

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Was tied up for a week, but we're back in action. For whatever reason there's a rope ladder dangling outside of Captain Jamison's window, but we can't reach it on account of the unopenable window being in the way.

Not to worry. We have ways of dealing with that.

quote:

>throw coffer at window
You hurl the coffer through the window, sending it and a shower of glass into the sea. The ledge now looks deep enough to sit upon.

Not the most ladylike of solutions, but I have a feeling we'll be solving a few more problems with violence before this is through.

That said, I have the nagging suspicion we may have missed something. Let's reload and check something...

quote:

>open coffer
Opening the coffer reveals an invitation.

>get invitation
Taken.

>read it
The invitation is addressed to "Davis":

In honor of Jean Lafond,
recently proclaimed
Governor of St. Sinistra
A Dance at his Mansion
Ananas Road, St. Sinistra
Formal Dress and Invitation Required.

A ball! You haven't been to a ball in months!

Squeee! :neckbeard:

As you might guess from the text, this will be needed to attend the party later on. Thankfully, failing to look in the coffer before chucking it out the window does not screw you over; Amy Briggs was kind enough to include alternate solutions to a couple of the game's puzzles, just in case you missed the necessary items. I'll try to show these off as they come.

Anyway, we smash the window again and continue.

quote:

>sit on ledge
You climb onto the ledge. The ladder drifts within reach.

>grab ladder
You put everything in your reticule and reach out for the ladder and over-balance, tumbling from your perch. Your hand closes on a slimy hemp rung as you fly out over the waves, clinging tenuously, feet free, to the ladder.

On the Ladder
You are clinging to a slimy ladder, tied to a rail of the poop deck above you. Not far from your feet, waves kiss the stern of the ship.

>up
In these clothes? You jest.
All air is driven out of you as the ladder slams into the stern.

drat this feminine fashion. :bahgawd:
Luckily, we already have what we need here.

quote:

>remove frock
You can't manage the fastenings while whipping to and fro on a ladder.
Rebounding, the ladder twists you around to face the Helena Louise.

That's fair, I guess.

quote:

>in
Captain's Quarters

>remove frock
You take off the cotton frock.

>wear shirt
It fits loosely, masking your figure.
Bswish! Waves smash against the reefs nearby.

>wear breeches
You tuck the linen chemise and the shirt into the pants. You look a little fat, but now you can move freely.

Let's try this again.

quote:

>sit on ledge

>grab ladder
On the Ladder
The ladder swings back towards the Helena Louise.

>up
You climb up the ladder.
All air is driven out of you as the ladder slams onto the stern.

>up
You climb up the ladder, passing the halfway point.

>up
You climb up the ladder.
Your battered hands can take no more. Your grip loosens and the sea comes up to break your fall.

*** You have died ***

Aaaaaand we have our :toot: first death. :toot: We have a very limited amount of time on the ladder before we lose our grip. I think we're allowed one turn's delay, but trying to change while on the ladder put us over the limit, and going back into the cabin doesn't reset the timer.

This time we'll get changed beforehand and try again.

quote:

[quote]>sit on ledge

>grab ladder
On the Ladder

>up
You climb up the ladder.
All air is driven out of you as the ladder slams onto the stern.

>up
You climb up the ladder, passing the halfway point.

>up
You climb up the ladder.

>up
You heave yourself over the stern rail and sink breathless to the deck of the Helena Louise.

Poop

ahahaha it's like i'm in middle school again

quote:

Poop
From this platform deck you can see the whole of the two-masted ship, shadowy forms moving about here and there. A railing protects you from stepping off the deck in any direction but to the fore. A rope ladder is tied to the railing at the stern of the ship.

So we've made it topside. Hopefully there's something up here that will help us.

quote:

>n
Quarterdeck
No torches are lit, or needed on this moonlit night, except in the deep shadows cast by the huge navigation wheel. men move about to the fore, talking quietly. Under the stairs aft to the poop is a barred door.
Abaft the wheel sits a large pyramid of casks, held in place by a heavy rope.
Cannon line the deck, aimed at open sea and the island.

>x casks
Lying on their sides, the casks are stacked in a rather shaky pyramid: perhaps that's why someone has tied the rope about them. A cask on one corner has lost its lid. "Hey, boy! Get away from those. It ain't safe!" yells a sailor.

:sigh: At least our disguise is working.

quote:

>n
Main Deck
It is a deceptively quiet evening on the ship, the pirates singing low shanties as they repair cannon, twist ropes and sharpen daggers. The mainmast casts an inky shadow over the canvas screening the hatch. A tangled mass of rigging hangs down from the mast, like many rope ladders woven together.
Two large barrels stand near the stair to the foredeck.

>x barrels
The two open barrels contain rum and water, you can tell by the smell of each. They are identical but for the dark stains around the mouth of the rum barrel.

Water! That's promising, but I don't think we have anything to carry it with.

quote:

>n
Forecastle
Higher than all but the poop deck, this end of the ship commands a good view of the island; the "crow's nest," swinging above in the heights of the foremast, would command a better. A tangled mass of rigging hangs down from the mast, like many rope ladders woven together.
Imbedded in the deck is a grated air hole to the crew's quarters below. You can go at, or forward through a break in the ubiquitous railing.
Odors of old grease and char waft from a little shack perched behind the mast.
You can see a mooring winch here.

That's probably enough for now. We've finally reached the top and had a look abovedecks, but we're still no closer to not being blown up...

Inventory
Reticule
Piece of a mirror
Invitation to Lafond's party (addressed to Davis)
Smelling salts
Banknote
Chemise (worn)
Breeches and shirt (worn)
Cotton frock and slippers

Score: 4/25

1 - smashing the captain's cabin window
1 - safely getting above deck

Death Count: 1
Fell into the sea after losing our grip on the ladder

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
We'd better investigate the shack. Sounds like a kitchen or storage room, which means more supplies to pick up!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Mechanical Ape posted:

We'd better investigate the shack. Sounds like a kitchen or storage room, which means more supplies to pick up!

Sounds good to me!

quote:

>enter shack
Galley
This tiny kitchen smells of old stew and yeast. A low door to starboard shows the way out.
A dagger is driven into the wooden floorboards.
An entirely bald man sits here, carving into his peg leg.
The man looks you over sharply, then winks an eye. "Hullo, boy -- Sam, I'll call you. Nervous about Cap'n? He'll come to no harm. And if there is trouble, he only has to signal from that seaward winder of the house -- ye can see it from the crow's nest -- and we'll be there in a jiffy. Me and my peg are to stay aboard and guard y--, the Cap'n's young lady."

This is Rodney, also known as Cookie. The game uses both names, but I don't think it explicitly says they're the same person unless you ask him about it. Jamison said we could trust him, and he's also the guy who nursed us to health during our two-day-long swoon following the rescue. And he's keeping our identity secret. He's good people.

I'll take the liberty of doing the obvious while we're here.

quote:

>get dagger
Taken.

>x dagger
The dagger is quite dull.

The description implies that there might be a puzzle to sharpen the dagger into a usable state, but it's actually good enough for our purposes right now.

quote:

>x cookie
Cookie is a grizzled old man with a peg-leg.

Between Cookie and Crulley I think we have all the :yarr: stereotypes covered. The game doesn't recognize any synonyms for his peg leg, so unfortunately we can't press him on that. But just for fun:

quote:

>ask cookie about rodney
"'Rodney Quick's me name, cookin's me game.
Lost me leg in sixty-eight, 'tis why I bake.
Losin' me hearin' in every fight, but I've got me sight --
And come our Good Lord's 1701, I'll lose me life to a ruffian's gun.'
-- Old dame told me that. Leastways, I've several years left."

We can ask him (or tell him) about other things, but I'll leave that open for now.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Also, thanks to Trizbort, here's a map of what we've covered thus far:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
While we're here, we may as well ask Cookie for whatever information we can get.

quote:

>ask cookie about crulley
"Don't trust 'im. Never 'ave."

>ask cookie about jamison
"The Cap'n? I been with him since the war. Then came Lafond."

>ask cookie about lafond
"He murdered Cap'n's brother and family these three year'n past. Cap'n's been searching for a time to avenge the dead ones, and now he's found it."

>ask cookie about me
Cookie cocks an ear, "Eh, what's that?"
The crash of surf is increasing in volume. You'd best find out what's going on!

Right, I don't think we have time to keep talking to Cookie.

quote:

>out
Forecastle

>n
You drop all you are carrying and creep out over the waves.
Bowsprit
Hanging on the bowsprit, your arms and legs wrapped tightly around the narrow spar, you can't see much beside an upside-down view of the figurehead of the Helena Louise, the barnacle encrusted main anchor dripping from its chain, and the nauseous swelling and breaking waves over (under?) your head.
A stub of rope, roughly cut, swings rudely over the waves. The line holding the sea anchor has been cut!

I... guess that explains what Crulley did to the ship.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

All right, I think I've got my bearings straight here. We've got a burning fuse behind a fence in the Hold. Directly above, on the Main Deck, is an open barrel of water.

So what we want to do is dump the water down into the hold via the canvas-covered hatch. And not the rum. That would be bad.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Mechanical Ape posted:

All right, I think I've got my bearings straight here. We've got a burning fuse behind a fence in the Hold. Directly above, on the Main Deck, is an open barrel of water.

So what we want to do is dump the water down into the hold via the canvas-covered hatch. And not the rum. That would be bad.

Sounds like a plan. Heading back to the Main Deck (and including the description again for reference)...

quote:

Main Deck
It is a deceptively quiet evening on the ship, the pirates singing low shanties as they repair cannon, twist ropes and sharpen daggers. The mainmast casts an inky shadow over the canvas screening the hatch. A tangled mass of rigging hangs down from the mast, like many rope ladders woven together.
Two large barrels stand near the stair to the foredeck.

>x hatch
Canvas stretches across the canvas hatch.

>open it
You pull a corner of canvas out of the frame. Steep stairs descend into murky darkness.

>down
You glance around to see that no one is watching, and duck through the open corner of the canvas hatch.

Hold
A tiny glow of fire creeps across a stretch of floor -- inside the cage full of ammunition.

So Mechanical Ape's sense of direction was right on. Now we just need to get the water into the cage.

quote:

>up
You slip lithely through the canvas hatch.

Main Deck
>take water
Don't dally around.

Um... I'm not? :confused:

quote:

>take water
What an odd thing to attempt.

Okay, the game's giving us generic "you can't do that" responses. Let's see...

quote:

>push water barrel
The barrel is secured to the deck.
Looks like tipping the barrel over is out of the question.

We do have everything we need in inventory to extinguish the fire in the hold. The game actually offers a big hint early, but you miss it if you do a certain something too quickly - which, as it happens, we did. The relevant item still has the hint in its description, though.

Inventory
Reticule
Dagger
Piece of a mirror
Invitation to Lafond's party (addressed to Davis)
Smelling salts
Banknote
Chemise (worn)
Breeches and shirt (worn)
Cotton frock and slippers

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Clearly we must drink the Laudanum, then fill the bottle with water and spray it at the fuse!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

CaptainCaveman posted:

Clearly we must drink the Laudanum, then fill the bottle with water and spray it at the fuse!

I see nothing wrong with this plan.

quote:

>drink laudanum
You squeeze three colorless drops into your mouth.

:yum:

quote:

>fill bottle with water
You can't get anything into the leather bottle.
Your face convulses in a prodigious yawn.

>open bottle
This is a squeezable bottle. You don't need to open or close it.
You are misted in the spray of waves hitting the reefs. The island is far away.

Such advanced technology in The Year of Our Lord Sixteen-hundred-and-something-or-other. Also something about reefs, but I'm sure that's not important.

Maybe if we squeeze the bottle, submerge it in water, and then release it'll fill up by the power of vacuum!

quote:

>squeeze bottle
A bubble of laudanum forms on the tip of the leather bottle then slurps back in.
You stare into space for a long, thoughtless moment. It seems very hard to think, you think, but you aren't sure.

We think? :thunk:

quote:

>put bottle in water
You drop the leather bottle into the water barrel. It sinks from sight.

All right, step two complete. We squeezed the bottle, we put it in water, and now...

quote:

>get bottle
You can't see any bottle here!

what impossible it was just here, we must drink all the water until we can see it again

quote:

>drink water
You take a long draft. It is quite refreshing.
Your eyes are extraordinarily dry. You blink to moisten them, and snort awake a minute later, drool dripping down your chin.

NO DO NOT SLEEP WE MUST DRINK. DRINK!

quote:

>again

>again

Sleep overtakes you and you slump into unconsciousness.
You awake too late to save the ship -- or rather, you never wake at all.

*** You have died ***

Death Count: 2
Drugged ourselves with laudanum and slept through the ship's destruction

it was such a good plan too

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Since I skipped over the blatant hint the game gives you, I'll show what we missed.

The key to dousing the fire is actually the cotton frock we were wearing when we started.

quote:

>x frock
It is your favorite old frock, looking rather bedraggled without its hoops, which you hadn't had time to put on during the pirate attack. The worn fabric of the skirt often catches on things, tearing.

The last sentence is the important part here. If you walk around while wearing the frock, this will eventually happen:

quote:

Your frock suddenly catches on something, tearing the fabric. A large scrap flutters to your feet.

>x scrap
It is a fairly hefty scrap of fabric.

I restarted the game to check this out, and it took over a hundred turns of pacing back and forth belowdecks before this happened. I remember it usually happening a lot faster than that (and that the fuse would blow you up before then), but I might be mistaken.

In any case, we're no longer wearing the frock, since you need to be dressed in the shirt and breeches to go above deck. It's a bit mean of the game, especially considering how relatively forgiving it is in other situations.

That said, there's no need for us to walk back and forth and wait until we "accidentally" snag our dress on something.

quote:

>tear frock
You rip a large rag out of the cotton frock.

And now we have everything we need to put out the fuse.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Yeah, I vaguely remember having problems with getting the frock tearing to show in my LP of this and having to save scum a bit or something like that.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So I assume we DIP SCRAP IN WATER or something similar?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

FredMSloniker posted:

So I assume we DIP SCRAP IN WATER or something similar?

Yup!

quote:

>dip scrap in water
Keeping hold on the rag, you soak it with water.
You are misted in the spray of waves hitting the reefs. The island is far away.

At this point it's just a quick trip back downstairs.

quote:

>d
You glance around to see that no one is watching, and duck through the open corner of the canvas hatch.

Hold
A tiny glow of fire creeps across a stretch of floor -- inside the cage full of ammunition.

>x fuse
The burning fuse is a few yards from the pile of gunpowder kegs opposite the gate.

The description of the fuse will change over time; it'll say that a few feet or a few inches remain as you get closer to the end. The passage of time is a bit weird; we're on move 90 now and according to the game, we have plenty of time left.

But we'd better take care of it while we're here.

quote:

>throw rag at fuse
You throw the rag over the gate. Luckily, it lands directly on the burning end of the fuse. With a sputter and sigh, the flame dies.

Mission accomplished! :thumbsup:

Score: 5/25

1 - putting out the burning fuse

So, crisis averted... unless we've forgotten something.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

I think I recall something about "anchor rope cut, ship drifting toward reefs, crew doomed". :thunk:

Can we TELL COOKIE ABOUT ANCHOR?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Mechanical Ape posted:

I think I recall something about "anchor rope cut, ship drifting toward reefs, crew doomed". :thunk:

Can we TELL COOKIE ABOUT ANCHOR?

Let's find out.

quote:

>up
You slip lithely through the canvas hatch.

Main Deck

>n
Forecastle

You can see a dagger and a mooring winch here.

(You automatically drop your inventory when you climb out onto the bowsprit, whereas when you climb the rope ladder from Jamison's cabin you automatically put everything in your reticule, which you're wearing. It's a bit weird. I'll pick the dagger up when we need it, but we're actually very close to running out of time on the anchor problem.)

quote:

>w
You can't swim, and decide not to jump.
Doesn't mean I won't make other mistakes, though. :doh:

quote:

>in
Galley

An entirely bald man sits here, carving into his peg leg.

>tell cookie about anchor
It doesn't look like Cookie is interested.

>tell cookie about reefs
"We dropped the sea anchor -- no need to fear."

That's what we're trying to warn you abou--- never mind. We're on our own. :sigh:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Can we steer the ship away from the reefs? Have we found the steering wheel yet?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

megane posted:

Can we steer the ship away from the reefs? Have we found the steering wheel yet?

We have, actually; it was on the quarterdeck.

quote:

>out
Forecastle

>s
Main Deck

>s
Quarterdeck

Abaft the wheel sits a large pyramid of casks, held in place by a heavy rope.
Cannon line the deck, aimed at open sea and the island.

>turn wheel
From the grumbling emitted as you near the navigation wheel, you gather that the sailors close by would not appreciate your action.

Looks like that's a negative.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Clearly we need to kill the sailors so we can get near the wheel to save them!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

CaptainCaveman posted:

Clearly we need to kill the sailors so we can get near the wheel to save them!

If you say so! :black101:

quote:

>kill pirates
Relax.

>attack pirates
Relax.

Don't tell me to relax, game!

quote:

>scream
Papa always said "action, not reaction, girl!"

*sigh*

Incidentally, having the game tell us "that's silly, stop being silly" counts as an action taken. Which means that immediately after the above (turn 102 according to the game):

quote:

The sound of splintering wood reverberates through the ship as it drifts onto the reefs. The next few minutes last forever as havoc breaks out. Grabbing a plank, you manage to stay afloat, but you are washed out to sea. A brig, Portuguese by its sails, rescues you. The sailors are brown skinned and smooth, and the first mate, the ship's and yours, is gentle. They leave you in Rio, alone and forgotten.

*** You have suffered a fate worse than death ***

And our first Fate Worse Than Death rears its ugly head. There are quite a few of them, and instead of losing your life they involve losing something else.

Death Count: 2
Drugged ourselves with laudanum and slept through the ship's destruction

Fate Worse Than Death Count: 1
Shipwrecked, picked up by Portuguese sailors, dumped in Rio

We are within just a couple moves of the solution to the anchor puzzle, so the playthrough is salvageable, at least.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

quote:

...and the first mate, the ship's and yours, is gentle.

Oh, that's clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
So, the key to this little problem is actually right outside of Cookie's cabin.

quote:

Forecastle

>x winch
Made of an old barrel turning on a pole, the mooring winch is used to coil in the anchor chain. A pair of metal teeth bite into the links to prevent it from dragging out; a lever is connected to the teeth. Something is written on the lever.

>read lever
On the lever is written "Open Up, Close Down." You notice the lever is pointed down.

This seems straightforward enough.

quote:

>push lever up
The metal teeth open as you raise up the lever. The anchor, released, splashes down into the sea, dragging its clanking chain. After a moment, you feel the ship pull slightly against the current. You lower the lever to prevent any more chain from spooling out.

And just like that, we've saved the ship. Apparently the Helena Louise has a second anchor on a rope, and that's the one Crulley cut, leaving the second anchor still usable? I don't know.

Anyway, with both immediate threats dealt with, we have time to explore the ship, and possibly figure out how to get off it.

Score: 6/25

1 - putting out the burning fuse
1 - lowering the ship's anchor

• Locked thread