Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah he's got talent for sure but it's not on-camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I like Clayton’s videos y’all are being pretty lovely

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
I liked his recent video about videogame multitasking, the topic is interesting and imo it was well presented. sure it's drier than the Perfect Pokérap™ but I don't see what can top that one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2zDjbL3Sf4

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s an essay idk what you guys want here. He’s clearly a good editor and writer but it’s not like he has to be as good a presenter as BDG. that’s a very specific type of person.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

He just lacks presentation skills. Saying that is not lovely, it's true. Presentation to an audience, especially on video, is a specific skillset and it's one that he hasn't been able to make much progress in. One thing that would immediately make his presentation style better would be speaking with a confident and strong tone of voice, he always sounds like he's afraid the audience is going to beat him up.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Awful Squad is coming back on the 20th!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Great.

Great...

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
it seems weird to judge any of their presentation styles when it came out after bdg left that vox actively works to make sure that as little of their personal flavour makes it into the videos as possible

like they tightened the rules after the McElroys left (probably because they were scared by the drop in views), and once bdgs series blew up they clearly tightened them more (or unraveled was too in the works to be stopped by the first rules change idk I'm not a genie)

like, pat(aside from the two sonic interviews) and Simone haven't put out any real bangers in years either, and we know that's not because they can't. vox management just seems to blow, and games media isn't exactly in a "shop around for a new job" place right now

edit: god SEO play ended 4 years ago. feel like poo poo just want her back

egg tats fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 25, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

egg tats posted:

edit: god SEO play ended 4 years ago. feel like poo poo just want her back

:same:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah I really miss all the weird series that were put out back in the day. Most of them were made by people who've left Polygon by this point, but I wouldn't be surprised if a big reason more aren't made is because of the stress put on an already-overworked video department.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I remember in his video resume that BDG said he wanted to make "more than just a video about a game", and that's what they used to do. Now that stuff isn't appealing for advertisers I guess so it's gone. They still make some interesting stuff sometimes, but they are all just videos about games.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think they do still do some interesting stuff, like Pat's video essay about Call of Duty and wargames in general was fairly recent and really good, but yeah it is a shame that the era of "weird Polygon" seems to be over. Overboard is still fun to watch, although the fact that they fired Jenna is probably going to hurt that series given that she seemed to be the go to GM of the group.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think they do still do some interesting stuff, like Pat's video essay about Call of Duty and wargames in general was fairly recent and really good, but yeah it is a shame that the era of "weird Polygon" seems to be over. Overboard is still fun to watch, although the fact that they fired Jenna is probably going to hurt that series given that she seemed to be the go to GM of the group.

Yeah it's unlikely they'll do any more RPG stuff, and even the board games will have a pall over them given how she was a common component in many of them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SpacePig posted:

I remember in his video resume that BDG said he wanted to make "more than just a video about a game", and that's what they used to do. Now that stuff isn't appealing for advertisers I guess so it's gone. They still make some interesting stuff sometimes, but they are all just videos about games.

the Content Wars are really stupid, where something as low budget and relatively successful as Unraveled isn't considered a success

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I know “pivot to video” was a failure at the time, but the world now runs on twitch and VOD services. I liked shows like Game Ogre and SEO Play.

Polygon could’ve been the LTT or Donut Media of the gaming space. They had/have the talent but squander it.

Just let Pat do what he wants. gently caress it.

Cool there was another Awful Squad though.

well why not fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 25, 2022

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

I’m consistently surprised that Pat hasn’t quit. He seems too punk to stay tied to the stagnating Polygon content machine. But I clearly have no idea what it’s like to work there, nor what Pat actually likes to do. One must imagine Pat happy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pat probably likes to make enough money to be able to afford living in new york city, is my guess

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you can scam money out of Vox media, so be it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want Pat

More Pat

MORE PAT

Oh poo poo, Pat please get the AEW game when it comes out

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pat's recent video on fighting games was very good too imo. I may be biased as a long time fighting game enjoyer though.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
I haven't played a fighting game since the PS1/gamecube era and i also thought it was really well done and kinda made me consider getting back into fighting games.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eODyU0wa-to

In hindsight this was the last episode of canon weird Polygon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That piano was for everyone, Griffin. You are now fired.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

gently caress me I completely forgot about Please Retweet.

That was my first exposure to Pat, too, I had absolutely no idea wtf was going on with this guy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Morpheus posted:

gently caress me I completely forgot about Please Retweet.

That was my first exposure to Pat, too, I had absolutely no idea wtf was going on with this guy.

Same I think

it was a weird first impression tbh but i'm a fan now

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I want Pat

More Pat

MORE PAT

Oh poo poo, Pat please get the AEW game when it comes out

oh hey on that note!

I don't think anyone posted the snapcube video pat was on, so if you're fiending for a pat gill not being tied down by corpo responsibilities, here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KuVu2HPWw0

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

egg tats posted:

oh hey on that note!

I don't think anyone posted the snapcube video pat was on, so if you're fiending for a pat gill not being tied down by corpo responsibilities, here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KuVu2HPWw0

Very good stream. Horrible results.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2A7Jza-zWY

New Monster Factory!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I really hope the boys get into the PSO2 remake, the character creator in that looks absolutely bonkers, even moreso than the original. Even as a remake I bet they could make some wild new stuff.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

When I saw that game on vinesauce i need the McElroys needed to get in on it.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Goblin' up this new content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YzhTvaHDBY

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
The game awards talk over was great

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Tabletops posted:

The game awards talk over was great

I really felt for Tara.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/23590917/pizza-tower-review-wario-land-best-platformers-wahaha

Pat reviewed Pizza Tower a few weeks ago, he definitely writes in his own voice.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
The jfk video was really good

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

i didn't like the part where simone said the CIA didn't kill jfk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008