Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am still a newcomer to the world of polygon, but I'm catching up quick.

I dig Russ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Simone and Allegra playing Tetris is the best because Simone doesn't slowly lose it; she start out having irreparably lost her it, and things go downhill from there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbm5W3NGBio

The thing I love about this video, at least the first game that I watched, is that Simone is actually doing really well against Allegra but because she's so stressed about her tetris she can't tell at all.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Polygon... good?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Wasabi the J posted:

Polygon... good?

At protecting creeps but not at games

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The nick thing sucks because he want the only non-malcoroy that was actually funny to me.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Griffin and Russ working together is very dry. Russ is not a funny man.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Android Blues posted:

Griffin and Russ working together is very dry. Russ is not a funny man.

Russ is pretty much a waste.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm sure he has qualities. But man, jokes? Not his thing.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Roach Warehouse posted:

Everyone should watch Pat and Simone's stream of Human Fall Flat to hear about the worst thing that ever happened to Pat, or anyone ever.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Nw4To64Gc

Oh my god, that would cause some people to off themselves.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

super sweet best pal posted:

Why isn't Touch the Skyrim in the OP?

I was in a bit of a rush to get the OP out so I only included shows that are currently running, with a couple exceptions. Eventually I'll go back through and add some of the shows that are finished like Car Boys, Touch the Skyrim, Peacecraft, maybe a few more.

Also I'll do my best to keep the OP updated with any new shows

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I like Russ' role as the secondary. He's not overwhelmingly funny, but he's frustratingly dry that the other presenters have to almost angrily overcompensate, which I think is usually pretty hilarious. The only real problem with Russ is that he's not particularly creative, so can't be counted on to make new jokes or observations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I don't think Touch the Skyrim is getting finished

Serf
May 5, 2011

Seems like Russ is good for getting the technical side of things set up. That should probably be the extent of his involvement.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Let Russ run the PUBG and other streaming events. He's comedy and entertainment poison, and I say that with love and respect.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Polygon is a collection of the wimpiest people to ever write about loving video games.

I recall the Tropico 5 review, I think, where the review was like "oh, this game is great but I feel bad playing as a totalitarian dictator, 6/10."

Like the whole site exists up its own rear end and lo and behold the people who write for it are either shills (desperately convincing themselves they are not) or hypocritical creeps who moralize while having no actual morals.

Polygon sucks, is what I'm trying to say. If you wanna listen to a podcast of gaming "journalists" who have actually been in the industry for a number of years chatting in-depth on games, just listen to the Game Informer show.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Polygon is a collection of the wimpiest people to ever write about loving video games.
I prefer games reviewers who have mounted their controllers to AK-47s and switch triggers as necessary to ward off invading zombies.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Polygon sucks, is what I'm trying to say. If you wanna listen to a podcast of gaming "journalists" who have actually been in the industry for a number of years chatting in-depth on games, just listen to the Game Informer show.

Yes I can only consume one medium regarding a single subject! You've saved me from having to listen to people who succeed at entertainment versus information.

Thanks 8-Bit Scholar.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Polygon's video stuff has been pretty funny for a while now. With Gies gone, the written stuff seems like it stands a chance of improving too.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I prefer games reviewers who have mounted their controllers to AK-47s and switch triggers as necessary to ward off invading zombies.

Now I can't find it but there's a piece about some guy who was living in Japan and he refused to drink (an alcohol allergy?) and the whole blog was him whining about how nobody seemed to like him. It was hilarious.

Wasabi the J posted:

Thanks 8-Bit Scholar.

no prob

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I recall the Tropico 5 review, I think, where the review was like "oh, this game is great but I feel bad playing as a totalitarian dictator, 6/10."

Like the whole site exists up its own rear end and lo and behold the people who write for it are either shills (desperately convincing themselves they are not) or hypocritical creeps who moralize while having no actual morals.

lol gamers are babies, they get mad at roger ebert for saying games aren't art and then when writers actually engage with video games the way critics in every other medium do they start spewing garbage like this

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Wow I had no idea Nick was such a creepo, loved carboys. Good on polygon for doing something about it.

I do like watching an awful squad every now and then. I appreciate how the gang knowingly admits they're terrible at everything unlike a lot of reviewers. Speaking of which that Polygon Doom vid is funnier than a lot of their comedy skits.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

inferis posted:

lol gamers are babies, they get mad at roger ebert for saying games aren't art and then when writers actually engage with video games the way critics in every other medium do they start spewing garbage like this

"writers" and "critics"

I mean, you can be thoughtful and critical of games, and people are, but Polygon's demonstrably not that. Or I guess they've convinced you they are, which is cool I guess. If you wanna link to some piece that you think genuinely demonstrates that these supposed writers have a meaningful critique to render towards a game that elevates the quality of the site to Not Garbage I'm open to having my mind changed.

Roger Ebert saying games are not art was based upon his one rather narrow definition of what art was, and most people told him to go play a difficult video game to disprove that and he ended up sucking at it. I mean, Shadow of the Colossus is pretty jaw dropping, but I mean, start out with Super Mario World.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Why are you in this thread if you hate polygon so much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

inferis posted:

clockwork orange is well made but i felt bad about all the murder, 6/10

Serf
May 5, 2011

Games are pretty obviously art, and have been since the start.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Edit: not doin' this

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kaewan posted:

Wow I had no idea Nick was such a creepo, loved carboys. Good on polygon for doing something about it.

I do like watching an awful squad every now and then. I appreciate how the gang knowingly admits they're terrible at everything unlike a lot of reviewers. Speaking of which that Polygon Doom vid is funnier than a lot of their comedy skits.

Monster Factory is really good too, but yeah the Nick + Griffin stuff was gold but I really don't want to touch it right now because some of the jokes were kinda gross in context.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I wish more companies would take serious, critical looks at the "objective" merits of true hardcore games that they are shilling like Game Informer, rather than talk about and show how much fun they're actually having with games like Polygon.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SpacePig posted:

I wish more companies would take serious, critical looks at the "objective" merits of true hardcore games that they are shilling like Game Informer, rather than talk about and show how much fun they're actually having with games like Polygon.

I like my shills to be pushing 40 and wax nostalgic about the days when game magazines were 90 percent lovely jokes, personally.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
hi welcome to gbs

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Well, this is exactly why some people wanted this thread in RGD over Games. If the thread is just going to be 'hardcore gamerz' coming in to poo poo on Polygon my vote is to move it back.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SpacePig posted:

supermechagodzilla was onto something with the "video games are not fun" thesis, imo
there's a genre of moral scold who cannot tolerate the idea that someone else might not enjoy the blessed Product, because

the polygon team is good and fun, imo. owning your enjoyment or non-enjoyment of a thing seems a lot less stressful than the alternative

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 31, 2017

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

"writers" and "critics"

I mean, you can be thoughtful and critical of games, and people are, but Polygon's demonstrably not that. Or I guess they've convinced you they are, which is cool I guess. If you wanna link to some piece that you think genuinely demonstrates that these supposed writers have a meaningful critique to render towards a game that elevates the quality of the site to Not Garbage I'm open to having my mind changed.

Someone clearly hasn't seen Please Retweet or Griffin's Amiibo Corner.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ze Pollack posted:

supermechagodzilla was onto something with the "video games are not fun" thesis, imo
there's a genre of moral scold who cannot tolerate the idea that someone else might not enjoy the blessed Product, because
im the genre of moral scold that cant tolerate the idea of hotlinks to know your meme

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Endorph posted:

im the genre of moral scold that cant tolerate the idea of hotlinks to know your meme

it's deeply annoying, you can't get a good copy of the xbox 360 kid image anywhere else

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

"writers" and "critics"

Did you seriously come into a thread about something you don't like, and throw down the gauntlet the people happily posting, to prove that - the thing you already decided you don't like - is good?

Like, I don't jump into threads about Disagea or whatever and be like HEY NERDS PROVE THIS GAME IS GOOD OK.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Or recombine it with the McElroy thread, where it was welcome and enjoyed.

As a filthy casual, my reaction to Tropico was exactly the same as Polygon's: I couldn't enjoy the game because I felt so horrible about the decisions I was making. Same with Papers, Please. Part of game reviews is answering the question "Did the reviewer have fun, and why?" It's good to have different perspectives on what's important.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

As a filthy casual, my reaction to Tropico was exactly the same as Polygon's: I couldn't enjoy the game because I felt so horrible about the decisions I was making. Same with Papers, Please. Part of game reviews is answering the question "Did the reviewer have fun, and why?" It's good to have different perspectives on what's important.
on the other hand, what if feeling bad is part of the point? both tropico and papers please are clearly making points with how terrible the decisions you're making are. fun isn't the sole objective measure of if a game is good, especially if we're going with the games are art angle.

this is why review scores are bad.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Endorph posted:

clockwork orange is well made but i felt bad about all the murder, 6/10

I mean... yes? It's completely valid to criticize a depiction of unsavory themes--even if you believe or concede that the depiction is skillful. And let's not pretend that Tropico intends players to walk away asking hard questions about the impact of the US's role in the development of Caribbean geopolitics.

quote:

Papers Please was another example I thought of, but I believe the creators of that game had a much more explicit intent to create that discomfort and force those tough questions. I played and "beat" the game twice--it's probably not a mindspace I want to visit again, but that was almost certainly the point.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's this odd insistence on being "objective" when reviewing games, which can be done and would read like a rather dry technical manual. I like to find writers who feel the same way about games that I do and read their stuff to get their opinions.

Hence why I just didn't read reviews by Gies. We didn't feel the same way about games.