Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

And let's not pretend that Tropico intends players to walk away asking hard questions about the impact of the US's role in the development of Caribbean geopolitics.
i mean... i kind of do think that? Or at least it's working off a base assumption that the player's actions are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

well why not posted:

Did you seriously come into a thread about something you don't like, and throw down the gauntlet the people happily posting, to prove that - the thing you already decided you don't like - is good?

Like, I don't jump into threads about Disagea or whatever and be like HEY NERDS PROVE THIS GAME IS GOOD OK.

I wasn't aware that this was the "Polygon is only good" thread I thought this was a general thread about the gaming website Polygon dot com, whereupon positive and critical opinions on said website would be posted.

Like people do go into threads about Disgaea and ask people to explain the appeal of it for a variety of reasons, this is actually a function of many games threads.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Serf posted:

There's this odd insistence on being "objective" when reviewing games, which can be done and would read like a rather dry technical manual. I like to find writers who feel the same way about games that I do and read their stuff to get their opinions.

Hence why I just didn't read reviews by Gies. We didn't feel the same way about games.

Exactly. There's a difference between 'review' and 'critique' and neither is actually an objective look at a piece of media. The entire point is that it's a subjective take of one person's experience. It's impossible to write about a piece trying to take what you think everyone's reaction will be into account. So reviewers write their own experience, and if the reader shares those opinions, they know the reviewer may feel the same about other games as they would.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Polygons writing and creative staff have public views that align with my own, so I can trust their review of a game to subjectively be similar to my own.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Endorph posted:

on the other hand, what if feeling bad is part of the point? both tropico and papers please are clearly making points with how terrible the decisions you're making are. fun isn't the sole objective measure of if a game is good, especially if we're going with the games are art angle.
If feeling bad is the point of a game, I don't want to play it. A reviewer who feels the same way is useful to me. I'm good with ambiguous endings (see Firewatch), but "you suck and you are making people's lives worse" is not fun for me.

If games are art, then I can treat them like movies: "I'm sure this is a very fine film, but I don't want to see it."

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm glad for all these extremely Games posts in this thread that was just made for people to talk about the funny videos and podcasts

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Like people do go into threads about Disgaea and ask people to explain the appeal of it for a variety of reasons, this is actually a function of many games threads.

Do people who already hate the game come to the thread and challenge people who like it to prove why they do? That seems unnecessarily dickish.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If feeling bad is the point of a game, I don't want to play it. A reviewer who feels the same way is useful to me. I'm good with ambiguous endings (see Firewatch), but "you suck and you are making people's lives worse" is not fun for me.

If games are art, then I can treat them like movies: "I'm sure this is a very fine film, but I don't want to see it."
yeah but my point is that take doesn't fit with review scores

Serf
May 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

yeah but my point is that take doesn't fit with review scores

On this point I will agree. Review scores should be kicked to the curb. I have a lot more faith in a score-less review.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Review scores are dumb and Polygon should drop them.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Thread is fine, everybody :justpost:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Do people who already hate the game come to the thread and challenge people who like it to prove why they do? That seems unnecessarily dickish.

Poster one says: Polygon is great!
Poster two says: Polygon is mediocre!
Poster one says: Polygon engages with its subject matter in a meaningful way, which you clearly don't appreciate.
Poster two says: lol what like where? What article?

That's not dickishness, that's discussion.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This is a disingenuous, not apt summation of your posts.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

supermechagodzilla was onto something with the "video games are not fun" thesis, imo

lol gently caress smg and gently caress you

When Polygon goes all the way in with an idea, the site has some of the best pieces of any site. Two of my favorite pieces ever about games come from Polygon: the exhaustive look at Japanese gaming culture, and the other is the incredible personal history of the 2 guys who created Arkane.

https://www.polygon.com/a/life-in-japan

https://www.polygon.com/2012/9/28/3425300/the-mirror-men-of-arkane

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Polygon is a collection of the wimpiest people to ever write about loving video games.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Poster one says: Polygon is great!
Poster one says: Polygon engages with its subject matter in a meaningful way, which you clearly don't appreciate.
Poster two says: lol what like where? What article?

That's not dickishness, that's discussion.

And others have said they actually appreciate the Tropico review because it aligns with their views, and how they see reviews as subjective takes on things by people they may share opinions with.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Endorph posted:

i mean... i kind of do think that? Or at least it's working off a base assumption that the player's actions are bad.

Meh, lots of games start with the assumption that the player's actions are bad. I'm not sure if I feel that the game is designed to create the same type of self reflection. Which is fine - not every movie is Funny Games (which implicates the viewers in their desire to see the violence), and games are supposed to be enjoyable. I just think it's fine to say if that's a deal breaker for you.

I think a lot of animosity comes from the emphasis on numbers and metacritic scores. Like someone else posted, I like critics who either (a) think like me, or (b) differ from me in consistent and good faith ways. If someone is upfront about their biases, tastes, blind spots, etc., it helps me know if I will agree with them or if I will appreciate something that they identify as a flaw.

Tl;dr: read the reviews

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

They also had the best coverage of Frog Fractions 2's ARG while it was still in process: https://www.polygon.com/2015/12/15/10220184/frog-fractions-2-arg

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Outside of reviews what else is bad about Polygon?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Russ should not be allowed to be both a cameraman and a player in Awful Squad. He's fine as just cameraman.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Russ should not be allowed to be both a cameraman and a player in Awful Squad. He's fine as just cameraman.

He was also better recently when he decided to focus on following a player and not looting.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Golden Goat posted:

There isn't a constant webcam feed giving me updates on Pat's arm.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I like the video person that puts Mario toys in his mouth

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Golden Goat posted:

They often write pieces critical of the current portrayal of women, minorities, and LGBTQ individuals, and also occasionally dock points from games for portraying these people negatively or stereotypically. As a true, hardcore gamer, this is simply unacceptable to me.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Wasabi the J posted:

Polygons writing and creative staff have public views that align with my own, so I can trust their review of a game to subjectively be similar to my own.
same except for Nick Robinson apparently but he's gone now. The statements (political, explicit or implicit and otherwise) that games make are important to me so I'm glad Polygon's reviews address them. It's increasingly relevant to assess games on metrics other than just "Fun To Play", especially with so many strongly message-driven walking simulator games coming out over the past several years.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He's comedy poison.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Russ, comment sections, Doom video (though this edges into so-bad-its-good territory for me) and of course the Great Unpleasantness of 2014 - Present.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
dip me in honey and throw me into heat street baby

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What was the DOOM video thing?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

And others have said they actually appreciate the Tropico review because it aligns with their views, and how they see reviews as subjective takes on things by people they may share opinions with.

Okay and my subjective take is that it's bad. My opinion shouldn't affect whether your like it or not. But the objection I've heard is not that my point was invalid, but that I am wrong to have interrupted a big circle jerk about Polygon.

Golden Goat posted:

They way their site is laid out annoys the crap out of me. It feels either designed for mobile first and it seems cluttered, busy and poorly organized. Call me old fashioned, but I didn't really mind the way websites would be clearly designed with headers, footers and maybe a few teaser images to link to the most recent stories. Polygon just feels messy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

waffle posted:

It's increasingly relevant to assess games on metrics other than just "Fun To Play", especially with so many strongly message-driven walking simulator games coming out over the past several years.
Also, Polygon recognizes that racial and sexual stereotyping makes games less fun to play for part of the audience, which is a point that isn't often addressed. It isn't being an SJW to say "Wow, I like playing female shooters, but it's not fun when the best armor I can get is something Red Sonja would consider indiscreet."

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Goat posted:

What was the DOOM video thing?

Professional game reviewer can't aim for loving poo poo.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I wasn't aware that this was the "Polygon is only good" thread I thought this was a general thread about the gaming website Polygon dot com, whereupon positive and critical opinions on said website would be posted.

Nope, it's basically a transplant from RGD where people were annoyed about Polygon stuff overrunning the McElroy thread. This was the 'go here to gush' thread from minute 1. Can see it's not clear.

As far as the Disagea thread example, there's a big difference between 'ask people to explain the appeal' and what you wrote, let's be honest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

lol gently caress smg and gently caress you

When Polygon goes all the way in with an idea, the site has some of the best pieces of any site. Two of my favorite pieces ever about games come from Polygon: the exhaustive look at Japanese gaming culture, and the other is the incredible personal history of the 2 guys who created Arkane.

https://www.polygon.com/a/life-in-japan

https://www.polygon.com/2012/9/28/3425300/the-mirror-men-of-arkane

yeah polygon's cover stories are usually really good

Serf
May 5, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

They way their site is laid out annoys the crap out of me. It feels either designed for mobile first and it seems cluttered, busy and poorly organized. Call me old fashioned, but I didn't really mind the way websites would be clearly designed with headers, footers and maybe a few teaser images to link to the most recent stories. Polygon just feels messy.

At least they added bylines to the top stories so I will never click on a Ben Kuchera article ever again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SpacePig posted:

They often write pieces critical of the current portrayal of women, minorities, and LGBTQ individuals, and also occasionally dock points from games for portraying these people negatively or stereotypically. As a true, hardcore gamer, this is simply unacceptable to me.

as a woman minority LGBTQ individual, polygon's take on those issues often really bug me.

i did agree with them about p5's weird gay stuff tho

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Professional game reviewer can't aim for loving poo poo.

And it was an issue or something?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It looked to me like someone way playing with a controller or KBM when they're used to the other. It's probably how it'd look if I tried to play DOOM on a 360 pad.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

And it was an issue or something?

Some people believe that gaming journalists should be "good" at games. I personally don't care, and that video was way funnier due to the incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

well why not posted:

As far as the Disagea thread example, there's a big difference between 'ask people to explain the appeal' and what you wrote, let's be honest.

And let's be honest, this was the post I was responding to:

inferis posted:

lol gamers are babies, they get mad at roger ebert for saying games aren't art and then when writers actually engage with video games the way critics in every other medium do they start spewing garbage like this

So beyond being needlessly insulting, this post infers that Polygon's writers are "engaging" with video games in a manner akin to critics in "every other medium" which seems to say that Polygon's reviews are actually more thoughtful or nuanced or overall better than the typical standard. I asked as to why, saying I'd love to have my opinion changed on this matter.