Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Shinjobi posted:

gently caress me

polygon breakin my heart

I haven't been this melancholy about a website since Cracked poo poo itself and fired all the talented people :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

eke out posted:

makes sense, he'll have a patreon that pays more than polygon in like 1 hour from setting it up

i already subscribed

https://www.patreon.com/briandavidgilbert

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Super bummed about the end of Unravelled but I’m glad Brian gets to spread his wings and embark on his own solo career. Hopefully this serves as the impetus for a new wave of Polygon video content rather than the death knell of said content.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

He's close to 900 Patrons already which puts him conservatively at about $3,000/month.

Very likely more since most would go for the 5 bucks.

He's gonna be fine.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

He also has a Twitch channel that seems to be doing really well and probably factored into the "I could go solo and not starve" decision.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

He's close to 900 Patrons already which puts him conservatively at about $3,000/month.

Very likely more since most would go for the 5 bucks.

He's gonna be fine.

i looked when i posted that earlier today and he was at 135 then, so pretty good growth!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I wonder why Meowth is inedible. Obviously the coin is, but why the rest?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
He's now at a thousand, so I'm pretty sure he'll soon be earning more than he did at Polygon, as someone said.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

He's now at a thousand, so I'm pretty sure he'll soon be earning more than he did at Polygon, as someone said.

5K x 12 months is 60K, which is 8K less than average for a video producer in NY.

Healthcare is gonna be a huge bitch in this equation and I sincerely hope he finds a mostly painless avenue being self-employed.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

5K x 12 months is 60K, which is 8K less than average for a video producer in NY.

Healthcare is gonna be a huge bitch in this equation and I sincerely hope he finds a mostly painless avenue being self-employed.

He also has over 30k followers on Twitch, and Twitch is very good at encouraging viewers to throw money at streamers.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He was getting 80k+ at polygon. They all tweeted their salaries a few months ago.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

80k sounds like a lot (to me at least) but in NY that's really not great.

Man, poo poo sucks.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ariong posted:

I wonder why Meowth is inedible. Obviously the coin is, but why the rest?

Yeah there were a bunch of mons listed in the inedible category that would be easily be edible.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

My fave Unraveled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cT6ULpScZA

BDG showing that he's the real deal in this one.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

This is exactly the article I was referring to

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

well why not posted:

My fave Unraveled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cT6ULpScZA

BDG showing that he's the real deal in this one.

I felt bad about skipping pax east that year because i would have loved to see that, but apparently that show was full like 2 hours before it even started, so i had no chance even if i had decided to try

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It occurs to me that leaving Polygon would liberate you from going to PAX and E3 and so on, which all journalists describe as absolute hell.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
E3 as a journalist was great for about two years after they changed back from being a press-only event....so like 2008-09 I want to say? Crowds weren't particularly large and the bombast was back.

After that, just walking down the rows to get to an appointment was a struggle.

Can't imagine having to go to one lately (covid not withstanding)

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Insurrectionist posted:

What happened with that new guy they hired on a while back? Wasn't it for some off-site show that lasted about a month? And besides that I can remember seeing him in like two boardgame videos and literally nothing else. Feel bad for that dude, like drat. I know it's Covid season and all but it's not like the Polygon video crew was allowed to do much in 2019 either, imagine going to Polygon these days if you want to be on-screen talent.

Do you mean Josh? He's still there, he shows up frequently in the streams. Haven't seen any standalone video product from him but given their usual low output that's not too surprising.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Turns out Brian got ripped off by that wizard.

https://youtu.be/mqvAaKp9a0g

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Fantastic hour long interview with Brian talking about a ton of personal stuff along with the ins and outs of his time at polygon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di_DjaQArhM

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The audio balancing on this new episode of Overboard is bad. I can't quite put my finger on the issue, but some parts of the video are just louder than others. When someone speaks or laughs loudly it's LOUD, but it's quiet when anyone speaks in a normal speaking voice.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Ben Kuchera is on the internet complaining about his time at Penny Arcade
https://twitter.com/BenKuchera/status/1362592758062579715
He's got a whole non-threaded timeline of vagueposts and I personally consider it very frustrating because who ever considered the Penny Arcade Report at 100% certified journalisms capitalism free zone? It's on the Penny Arcade website for chrissakes.

Maybe it would be more interesting if he spilled some actual beans. What games/topics even came out in 2011-2013 that would've been off limits? Lego Batman 2?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Yikes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/happybroccgames/status/1364186997619789833

Brian getting that work

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hell yeah.

Finally caught up on Let's Make a Music and it's incredible the jump in quality once Karen Han joins.

It was good before but goddamn.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Inzombiac posted:

Hell yeah.

Finally caught up on Let's Make a Music and it's incredible the jump in quality once Karen Han joins.

It was good before but goddamn.

I'm almost disappointed that Karen's stink-voice "keep it stinky" outro didn't make it to the next episode. Or relieved?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lord Bob posted:

I'm almost disappointed that Karen's stink-voice "keep it stinky" outro didn't make it to the next episode. Or relieved?

Hahaha
I was listening to it as my partner came home and they only heard that voice. It was weird to explain.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZy8BbMz_U

brian and karen getting progressively more scary

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Comedy people do horror so well.

Oh gently caress that fuckin' single frame silhouette at the end hosed me up.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 4, 2021

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O0VVoPiHAo

Here's a fun Q&A video from GameSpot - Brian David Gilbert Answers 27 Questions

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And all of them are "Ha ha, what?"

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Waffleman_ posted:

And all of them are "Those new shoes?"

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
https://twitter.com/slimyswampghost/status/1367564655263113216?s=19

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbcIrSRVvVY

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i know the thread is dead but Decrypto looks like a fun game. fun overboard epiode and props to alanah pierce for reading the Doom novelization when it wasn't her turn

the viewcount on polygon's videos is dropping quite a bit which doesn't surprise me because the amount of content is so small now. Vox doesn't understand how the Youtube algorithm works and thinks that just putting out one video a week will cut it and it clearly doesn't. also i'm sure a lot of people stopped watching after Brian left

they really should be posting 3 videos a week if they want to not wither and die but Vox probably doesn't really give a poo poo

given what they're being paid you'd think they'd want a larger return on investment and would have them pumping out content just for the sake of it, but *shrug*

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 27, 2021

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

The 7th Guest posted:

i know the thread is dead but Decrypto looks like a fun game. fun overboard epiode and props to alanah pierce for reading the Doom novelization when it wasn't her turn

I haven't watched it yet because I mostly watch overboard when I haven't played the game before but you are correct it is a fun game. I like it a bit better than codenames, especially since it keeps people on both teams a bit more invested at any given moment

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I love Decrypto but I hate teaching it to people. It just makes absolutely no sense until you play a round or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

I love Decrypto but I hate teaching it to people. It just makes absolutely no sense until you play a round or two.

Yeah I had a hard time following the rule explanation at the beginning of the video but it made a lot more sense actually watching it being played.