Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Holy poo poo it's like people are good and bad in any stereotyped group homogenizing an entire subset of humans is idiotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Or something :confused:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Anyone at Ezoo?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Cage posted:

OMG guys can we please ban gym internet politics hair chat?

Why, jealous? :smug:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

samesies

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, so after the auction I jumped on the highway and went to IKEA. I got detoured because of a wreck and cut across a state highway and ended up passing a BREMBO facility. I pulled in and wandered up to the office and asked if they gave tours but not on Saturday so that sucked.

Homer, Michigan? Northville, Michigan? Those are the only two I know about.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Homer sounds right.

West of Jackson? That's where they cast and machine their rotors. There's also a corner assembly area for the GT500 but that may have changed in the past 5 years.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity :shobon:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

By "mental health reasons" you mean "living in michigan" right?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hey if you drink single malt islay you arent a drunk. Youre distinguished.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

I will happily trade places with you I cannot stand Florida anymore. Constantly being super hot and humid all the time is the worst.

I would love to experience an actually cold season regularly.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I would rather spend the rest of my days swimming through atmosphere soup on a sidewalk than spend one more winter in Grand Rapids MI.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The highest point in Key West is 18.05 feet above sea level, by the way.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Gey out get out get out GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

What this thing is capable of:

A house in Barbuda with concrete anchor bolting wiped clean from its foundation, possibly from an eyewall mesovortex.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

WalletBeef posted:

Irma has 3 more days till landfall and she hasn't even hit the good poo poo yet. :rip:

The white circle is where Irma currently is.

The pink is high levels of oceanic heat content. Warm Water = Stronger Hurricane.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

RedSpider posted:

look how tiny andrew is compared to irma

lmfao

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

RUN YOU FOOLS

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Cage posted:

code:
         S
       I       H
     V      S
    L     U
  E    B
P    
       C
        O
         M
           P
            L
             E
              T
                E
                  L 
                   Y
                     E
                      R
                       E
                        C
                         T
this took way too long to do for so little sense.

I'm so loving proud

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

So, you do care

Im going to rename you D&DLite one of these days

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

spog posted:

Wants to finally see your penis then?

Sweet summer child

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Lol what the gently caress is going on in here

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Same bro

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Size wise, a Generator is always going to be a better emergency power setup. Solar and Batteries is better for offsetting daily normal use.

While this is the current narrative, be prepared for it to change with all the insane tech advances in solar and batteries.

poo poo just check out carbon nanotube doped perovskite crystal lattice windows, for one. Imagine a window that lets visible lighr through and redirects IR waves (heat and solar cell fuel) to the outside edges where narrow solar cells eat it up. That is legit one of many current techs that isn't super expensive of a process either.

Now imagine every window of a skyscraper like that.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 14, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

That's very true. I'm pretty hyped about tech advances in power but it does take a while to actually get it implemented on a large scale.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I mean poo poo just thinking about load balancing with decentralized smart inverters from small renewable sites, like we were talking about yesterday in slack, gives me a huge hard-on. It would require a temendous revamping of our current transmission center load balance management equations though, which are insane and probably the most math-intensive and difficult engineering already.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I know that there's an intense discussion about revamping substations to support such things, especially with Electric Car developments starting to take off.

And then poo poo what about substation remote access cybersecurity concerns! That's what took down Ukraine and another one I can't recall. poo poo there's so much engineering to do I'm foaming at the mouth with all the opportunity!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

slidebite posted:

Ok thanks for the generator info. I think I'll pick one up next sale I see at Costco.

Ssh no we're talking about the power grid now

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah they had enterprise email on the same machines as the remote control network right? Some gumpy dude fell for a phishing attack and they took over and loaded bad firmware through as many remote channels they could iirc

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The whole Operational Technology mindset of "if it works leave it the gently caress alone", combined with the ~2-4 weeks of outage per year you can actually touch anything mission critical, makes just keeping things up-to-date a huge endeavor in the industrial sector.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Holy poo poo tell that to all industrial plant directors ever please.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Thankfully they're starting to get really scared about all these cyberattacks on OT recently. Anyone want a cybersecurity job?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

keykey posted:

Solar chat: how many cells can be wired together in series? Can a person just have a stupid long row of them or do they have to be x by x? Also, I imagine there's some efficiency loss? My son has been wanting to play with solar stuff lately and I think a fun project would be buying some cells/tabbing wire and doing a DIY thing for fun.

How much voltage do you want? Adding panels in series will add their voltages with current unaffected, while adding in parallel will add their currents with voltage unaffected.

No real efficiency loss.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

You can make voltage dividers to drop voltage easily if you want. More voltage means less current for the same power, and higher current means higher heat and/or bigger wires.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

or conversely, going from cold side to hot side when you're freezing from sitting on an AC vent for an hour.

I'm currently sitting in a DCS room that's like 60° or something ludicrous. I can't wait to walk out of here and hit the 77° humid wall outside.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

I will give you 35k

Yes but what about the other three wheels. Also the rest of the car.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:colbert:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Definitely too close to the sidewall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno I feel like you should buy a lottery ticket with all the owed karma you have stored up.

• Locked thread