Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Responding to a power outage at 5am, ended up being the first ones on scene to a fatal single vehicle accident. :(

Didn't expect to start my Sunday seeing someone leave in a body bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ugh. Just spent some time in the garage replacing an air hose. I swear I'm losing any ability to work in the heat because nothing about this was strenuous or even mildly hard. Yet I came back in fully soaked in sweat. Ambient is just under 90, but the garage is probably at least 100 from heat soak.

Do you have a shop fan?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Good luck Florida ghost. :(

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Unnecessary namecalling. Grow up.

Just process everything he says as read by Paul Hogan, and it's instantly much less confrontational and also funnier.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Truck broke down yesterday with MY WIFE hauling her horse about 50 miles from home. Sounds like bad gas, she had just filled up. Made it to her friend's house before it shut off, so fortunately the horse and trailer can stay there.

Got a recommended local shop to come pick up the truck, told me flat out it'll be next week before they look at it. I'll take what I can get.

Googling my situation, sounds like insurance may pay out so that's an option if the damages are great enough. I need to call the shop Monday and have them keep a sample if it is bad gas. :(

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Nah, probably like a 1/4 tank. Also the fuel filter was replaced last year and it's a very large canister. I'd be surprised if it's clogged.

It could absolutely be a bad fuel pump, or something else. Something else is probably preferable.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It could also be an intermittent connection from a broken jumper, etc.

But the short of it, is that turning off your main if the power Is constantly blinking (whether it's recloser operation or whatever) isn't a bad move.

His description is far less annoying to me, than every electrical issue being described as "a transformer blowing". :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Got a call back on my truck, wasn't bad fuel just a dead fuel pump. Eye watering r&r ($700 for delphi fuel pump, filter, and large vehicle flat tow) reminds me why I try to do my own work.

That being said, the 32 gallon tank was full, so dropping it would have been no fun for me. Can't really pull the dually bed with its easily damaged (but currently like new) fiberglass fenders and gooseneck hitch either. So it goes.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Fuel pumps are one of those things where I go OEM or nothing. I don't like having to do a job twice, and I ESPECIALLY don't want to do that kind of a PITA job twice.

Oh absolutely. I was annoyed when I looked up the Delphi p/n on Amazon and it was $160, but checked it at NAPA where I'm sure they got it locally, and it was $300.

I suppose buying from Amazon for something like this may run into counterfeit issues that you guys were just talking about...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Good to know, I've used Amazon plenty, obviously most jobs you know are coming up. Edit: I WAS planning on putting bilstein shocks and Sulastic leaf spring shackles on the truck, get it riding a little better on our terrible roads, but it appears my truck budget is blown for a while...

For same day stuff (ignition coil on the tundra, fuel pump on the MJ that was supposed to be sold that weekend), I've had good luck with O'Reilly getting name brand stuff for a very good price.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 13, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Hi everybody how's it going?

I hope page 20 is a good page full of chill and happiness.

Sitting by my pond watching a flock of barn swallows dive bomb to drink and bathe.

Definitely chilling on page 20.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Yeah I'm still without power, I've been living in my car during the day and sweating balls at night. The two exposed walls of my apartment, that have windows, have windbreaks (a line of trees/the neighboring building, respectively) so airflow is fuckall.

It would be easier to keep perspective if everyone was without power, but the front half of my complex, the apartments next door behind the trees, and the shopping center across the street all have had power since Monday night. It's a bit more frustrating to step out of my dark, hot apartment and see lights/hear air conditioners for 360 degrees around me.

Apparently just the 10 buildings on the back road of my complex are on a different line, and require a replacement fuse instead of flipping a substation breaker or whatever. So since it needs a replacement part, I can probably expect power back around.... oh, February maybe? (They say by Sunday but it's a long 4 days)

Yeah, it's tough when it everyone around you has power and you don't. Those people are usually the angriest. When a whole neighborhood is out, everyone deals better.

It's an unfortunate reality of protection schemes and the effort to work on the biggest outages first. =/

Last year for Matthew, I worked 16 hr days getting other peoples lights on, to come home to a dark house and no running water for the first 5 days. I drove past everyone's house lit up, and the part that was hot stopped a half mile from my house. Not a drat thing I could do about it, my whole substation was out because the 69kv transmission line was down.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

mekilljoydammit posted:

Hi, my dayjob is doing engine R&D for a place that does generators.

Inverters will have a better 60hz signal (this will vary up and down with regulator generators based on engine RPM) and the right voltage (will vary up and down with regulator generators based on load) and yeah, be more efficient and often smaller for a given size. The ones in a plastic box are probably less reliable than the open frame ones, heating being what it is.

Um HI!

So all other things being equal, what is the best fuel type to go with, if natural gas is not an option, in the 20kw range? Main concerns are run-time on average size installed fuel tank, and cost of the fuel itself. Generator will not auto-switch at every outage, but will be controlled to maximize fuel.

Generator can be installed away from the residence, space and noise are not high concerns.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

I sort of want a generator, and my wife told me to buy one, but the power just doesn't seem to go out here. The longest outage was 30 minutes.

I also can't decide between a PTO generator for the tractor (~30 pto hp) or a whole home propane powered unit either. We generally have at least 100 gallons in the propane tank but if it goes out during the winter that poo poo goes quick. The generator would probably down a half gallon to a gallon an hour and the furnace uses a gallon/hr. With the tractor, the fuel situation is slightly worse, I keep maybe 10 gallons in the garage and 5 in the tractor, but the burn rate would be much lower per hour, and the power unit large enough to run the heat pump/water heater/dryer. It would also have the advantage of being portable. Cost of the unit and wiring would be about the same either way.

This was my initial dilemma, but I decided against a pto driven generator because I want something my wife can get going if I'm not home. Also spinning pto shaft and two young children, and I don't really want to leave the tractor out by the house.

I think diesel makes the most sense for me, because I could get a diesel storage tank, have it refilled periodically with red dye fuel, and use it to run the tractor. It offers far cheaper run time in the genny, at least as much as I can figure...every website on the subject has different numbers.

My main concern is keeping up the quality of the fuel long term. That's one big advantage of propane, it doesn't go bad.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Geoj posted:

Did they run a camera down the main and confirm its damaged? If you're just getting tree roots into old pipe there are solutions that don't require digging - in can't recall the name but basically they run a thin PVC line through the existing pipe, shoot hot air through it which softens and expands the plastic and it fills/seals the existing pipe. Supposed to cost a fraction of digging up the existing line and replacing it.

https://youtu.be/0UXthJMd4gg

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Congrats!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Magnus Praeda posted:

So some numpty in an RV scraped the entire driver's side of my wife's car yesterday in the parking lot of her work--bigass dent in the rear door, damage to the rear quarter panel, tore off the wing mirror. Fortunately one of the regulars saw it and kept the him from driving off and we got the accident report from the highway patrol including his insurance info.

Unfortunately I know it's going to be well over $1500 worth of bodywork and the car (98 Honda Accord) is only worth about that much. I'll probably buy it back as a salvage title since it's easily drivable and I can put a new wing mirror on myself, but it means I'm shopping for a new car far sooner than I wanted to. I was really enjoying not having a car payment for the last few years.

Blows, but at least someone looked out for you. You should get them a gift card or a 6 pack or something.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'd get the battery tested.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

"Surprise, we'll all go out for a meal tonight" says our visit organiser. Bugger, thinks cakesmith. Of course my favorite translator sits beside me so I made the most of it, managed to have a lovely chat and get her taking about herself, living in St Petersburg, her experiences, life etc. I stay involved in the general conversation as well, make everyone laugh talking about the British car industry etc, it's all going great.
Comes time to leave and she's right on my arm, asks if we're going for another drink? Nah, I've got to pack as we're off straight from work tomorrow.

"Oh, so a coffee?"

So I'm sweating away here and bless her the only other woman in the group comes to my rescue and drags her off, yes she'll have a coffee, girly chat etc we all set off back to the hotel. I end up in the lift with the pair of them and I can see this other woman is silently laughing at my obvious awkwardness as the translator has more than once "accidentally" leant on me. Luckily both these women are on the same floor, not mine.

I know this sounds like mediocre STDH but honestly I'm neither smooth not confident and it's funny as hell to me after the fact.

Oh also the two Russians she's translator for were making obviously lewd gestures at us the whole night, thanks for the moral support there fellas.

You're a better person than I am most people are.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

For not sleeping with her? What's one night vs the 17 years I've loved my wife, plus what it'd do to my kids.

I think you mistake my compliment for some judgment?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elsa posted:

I was under the impression your insurance company doesn't care about not at faults.

So earlier I said I didn't plan to use my class A but I forgot to mention my idea of getting a nice used tractor with a sleeper cab, and a used custom trailer with a garage and lift in the back and living area up front. Have that as a mobile base and just hook up at a long term trailer park like a low budget nightrider.

thoughts?

I'm seeing some good trailers online so far. None exactly how I'd want, I'd like something built on a lowboy frame.

Insurance on big trucks is expensive, so check on that.

When traveling on the interstate, you'll have to stop and get weighed, and explain why you don't have DOT numbers. ...Unless you plan on running those too, which also means maintaining participation in a random drug testing program. I hear it's a pain for an owner/operator, no personal experience.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Watching Stranger Things again in anticipation of next months sequel season.

This is such a great show.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

slidebite posted:

. Says for me to keep with the the Taekwondo and keep limiting the booze I'll be around for a long, long time yet.

gently caress me. Gonna get hammered and eat 5lbs of wings tonight to celebrate :v:

drat straight. Can't beat good genetics.

It would be worthwhile to get an automatic BP monitor and check it once in awhile, make sure it's closer to "good" when you're at home and not nervous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Beverly Cleavage posted:

gently caress dude. :(

We had a rescued dog that had to be put down under similar circumstances. So hard. Condolences.

Yeah, same. That sucks.

TT have you talked to your vet about drugs? Xanax for dogs is a thing. Sorry if I'm second-guessing you if you're just trying to vent.

• Locked thread