Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Now is an interesting time to get into the game. The rules changes are going to massively shake things up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Bad times at sealed for me today. I thought I had a decent team of

Thorbuster
Common Hulk
Banner Spider Man
Iron Rocket Man

But round 1 I went against another thorbuster and tyrannus and he just spammed tokens to the point where it was impossible for me to move anywhere and anytime I did base him with Hulk I'd get MC'd away. Most frustrating game I've had in a long while.

Round 2 I beat an avengers squad of captain America the two common hulks (Jen and Bruce) and Thorbuster by getting first shot on his thorbuster.

Round 3 barely lost to a team with 2 eternals because I crit missed off thorbusters top click and could not hit a 16.

I haven't had a day like that in a long while.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

It looks like I'm going to try my hand at the big Roc event this year. Try to win some baby money.

The biggest challenge I can see is trying to see if Jakeem is still worth it with the new rules. I won my State Tournament with him but almost all the strategies I used with him aren't legal or are less effective. Can't just choose invincible and laugh at shredders. Can't do the Defense Chain and JSA trait trick to give the whole team a 21 v range. Can't have Jakeem choose earthbound and carried anymore to remove a summoned ID character and prevent a colossal retaliation.

That and trying to gauge the impact Thor will make. I expect a metric fuckton of Mangog and Equipment abuses. One mean equipment trick I've heard of is Mistress Death and Mjolnir to drop death tokens at 10 range.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

We had our Merc Jet OP event. 2 booster sealed. Despite my absolute poo poo luck the previous week with Thor I just had to try it again cause new stuff.

I ended up pulling a Uni-Mind and Thena. So I ran Uni-Mind at 270 with Thena on the sideline and a Moon-Knight pog.

Giving Uni-Mind a full dial of RS or Invincible to choose in a sealed really isn't fair.

I won round 1 and 3 against Asgardian teams very easily. Had a hell of a round 2 match against Ikari, Thena and the same pog I was using. My dice went ice cold. I missed a 14 on 18 despite prob and at one point probbed into a crit miss. Ended up being able to KO Ikari while on my last click and steal energy to the click before. I ended up being behind a wall and he chose to clear and wait while I did the same. Looked at my card and saw that 5 clicks would KO her so did a plus 2 to give me a 5 damage and managed to hit my RS/PW. The Eternals are REALLY loving strong.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Red posted:

To add to the OP, what if we voted on the top 10 most meta pieces?

It would probably get outdated pretty fast

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

So my venue is having "Escalation month"

Week 1 you do a 300 point team.
Week 2, you do you 300 point team from week 1 and add 200 to it
Week 3 add 300 to your week 1 and 2
Week 4 add 200

So once you do a team you are locked in with that team. So if you did a Uni-Mind for example week 1, you can't spend points week 2 to give him more blue flame options, or make him top dial.

I can only make weeks 2 and 4 which the venue said is ok, provided you clearly show how you would build your teams to match the weeks.

I really want to do Planetary and build off it with the detective keyword but I'm having a really hard time building up so I figured I'd open it up to suggestions. Oh and resources are allowed because this venue while fun is really dumb sometimes.

Team 1 was

Jakita
Drummer
Elijah Snow with Belt
15 point Jessica Jones from ADW
Captain Stacy.

Basically this is the core of my no gently caress you Uni Mind team, with TA cancelling and 3 outwits plus a wildcard and police to lower defenses. I'm not totally sold on it though. It's also 299 so I'll forever be at least 1 point underbuilt

Team 2 it all falls apart cause I just can't figure out what I want to do. I want to do more offense, but also make the team more mobile.

I know I want Lt. Gordon from Dark Knight Rises
I then made a quick team of
Batman (Elseworlds perplexer with other shifters on sideline)
JW Spectre (Need a flier to maximize LT Gordon)
SOG Bullock

But I just don't like it. I feel like I don't have enough offense at 500, just more gimmicks.

For the finale I can do

300 - Martian Manhunter from TW

200 - Nightwing, Ace the Bathound, 50 Point Magneto.

I still am not a super fan of it. So I welcome suggestions.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

How married are you to Detective? How about Police?

I wanted to use planetary and they all had detective. I've also made a couple other teams that are significantly less pleasant but I'm trying to be good.

edit:

CapnAndy posted:

For the same event I was thinking Hydra and using Captain America to build a steadily growing force of Hydravengers, but now... ugh. I don't wanna have to purpose-build to kill Uni-Mind, but what choices are there?

Honestly the Hydravengers aren't a bad idea for taking on Uni-Mind. Just have a black panther handy for outwit and with all the Hydra who gives a gently caress if he perplexes his defense>

Morand fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 4, 2017

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Red posted:

What are the best Magneto pieces, and why?

The UXM Rare and Chase are pretty good. The UXM Rare is an economical 90 points with the ability to give anyone ESD. The chase is capable of quite a bit of damage with his Scrap Mechanic.

037a Magneto from UXM a nice TK/Barrier/Secondary attacker with a mean trick if he gets in your starting area

For a long time the GSX SR was the gold standard of Magneto's for me. He's aged a bit badly though.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Utility Belt and some outwits. Problem solved and cheaper.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Sanschel posted:

Honestly he's probably gotten some improvements with the rule changes. With good rolls another Leadership like Mystique can keep him going, and he can TK himself now so he isn't stuck being a turret. Still a glass cannon but he has more tricks than he did a few months ago.

Morand for your detectives, the second additions could be KC Batman and Magneto; high powered offense with another Outwit, Sidestep/TK and a flier for mobility, Mags for an extra attacker in a pinch. Conversely TW Bats at full, but you lose the benefit of a flier.

Week three additions: GF Strange, SLOSH Riddler, ADW Moon Knight, Ace. Three more Perplexes plus whatever you want Ace to have, a versatile attacker in MK that's difficult to put down, another flier who hands out ESD like candy. It's 10 points under, so if you wanted you could drop Moon Knight for a 100 point attacker and use an old DEO Agent with second click Perplex and only be 2 points under.

Week four: Chase Question and LE Nightwing. Punch everything.

Trinity War Batman actually doesn't have the Detective Keyword. And you really think Lt. Gordon isn't worth it? Guaranteed extra action with new leadership rules and added mobility.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I did a bad thing and made a bad team.

Goblin King at full with Black Hand equipped.
Dr Frankenstein
Ghost
2 Werewolves
Bizarrow
SLOSH Bizarro with one click of life.

I lost my first round to Andy's hydravengers because Hawkeye has 6 clicks of life and not 5. Hawkeye had the belt and I needed to murder him to protect my TA and the rest of my team from getting gibbed from all the running shot. I did not ko him and then was KO'd in a single round since his section chief can hand out all the outwit. I struggled along until Hawkeye hit a +2 click, was healed to full and proceeded to murder everything. It was not a good game for me.

Round 2 versus

World's Finest at 300
OP Flash?
Atomica Pog
Elongated Man

He tried to hit Goblin King, Bizarrow took the hit. Flash zoomed up and hit bizarrow to a stop click. Dr Frankenstein Healed Bizarrow, goblin King did a RS pulse to WF and my now werewolves and 25 point Bizarro killed flash. He ran worlds finest back and killed my 2 wolves but Goblin King hunted him down and took him out.

Round 3 versus a giant swarm of TMNT Ally's

He was using wave 1 commons and not wave 1 chases so long story short, Goblin King murdered zog so he had no range and then quaked/poisoned for the win.

I can't make the 800 point game but have a good idea what I'll be doing for the 1000 so we'll see if I get a better result.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Doing something I thought I'd never do and playing in the Roc Finals. Managed to scrape together 100 points which along with a states win is enough to skip all the bullshit and go right to the main event. My flight is at 7:30 am tomorrow.

Any goons going to be down in Atlanta at the Roc?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

I'm putting away my Hydravengers team from Escalation Month and only when I separated them out by set did I notice that nearly half the drat team was either SRs, LEs, or chases. I guess it's pretty unavoidable when Nazi Cap, Baron Strucker, and Wolverine, Agent of Hydra are all basically must-plays, but drat. Hydra is not a friend to the common man.

It's Hydra. Do you expect your betters to be any less then a SR?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

So I actually get to play in an event this week. It's 400 points, no resources. Must be based on a movie and not a comic book movie.

I have decided to recreate the Dream Warriors from Nightmare on Elm Street since I missed the Halloween Event.

Punisher of the Strange (Will Stanton)
TMT 106E Hulk - 50 (Roland Kincaid)
Nightwing - 100 (Kristen Parker)
Deadpool and X-Force Shatterstar - 60 (Taryn White)
Prize Banshee - 50 (Joey Crusel)
Dr Killebrew (Dr. Gordon) - Not technically a dream warrior but I'm 40 points down without him.

Curious about your thoughts or other ideas for a team. My wife suggested 50 Shades of Grey which while hilarious, no.

Andy is doing "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" of which I have no idea what the movie even is except that it has aliens and a telepathic skeleton who kills for kicks.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra is one of my favorite movies ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8D0PQQDptM

My team has a Man of Science, his Wife, a Man of Evil Science, an Animal Girl, a Mutant, and a Skeleton. If it was 500 points I'd have found room for two aliens, but it's not and I couldn't fit them.

So, Reed Richards or Hank Pym, Sue Storm or Wasp, Too drat many, Squirrel Girl, Colossus, and a Horror Skeleton?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Morand posted:

So I actually get to play in an event this week. It's 400 points, no resources. Must be based on a movie and not a comic book movie.

I have decided to recreate the Dream Warriors from Nightmare on Elm Street since I missed the Halloween Event.

Punisher of the Strange (Will Stanton)
TMT 106E Hulk - 50 (Roland Kincaid)
Nightwing - 100 (Kristen Parker)
Deadpool and X-Force Shatterstar - 60 (Taryn White)
Prize Banshee - 50 (Joey Crusel)
Dr Killebrew (Dr. Gordon) - Not technically a dream warrior but I'm 40 points down without him.

Curious about your thoughts or other ideas for a team. My wife suggested 50 Shades of Grey which while hilarious, no.

Andy is doing "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" of which I have no idea what the movie even is except that it has aliens and a telepathic skeleton who kills for kicks.

So team Dream warriors had to be changed as I don't own that Banshee, so Dr. Killebrew went away and Banshee was upped to OP Kit Black Canary plus I tossed on a hulkbuster torso.

Went 2-1, losing only to an "Iron Giant" team of the Superman Robot. Juston Seyfert, and a star labs tech. Hilariously it was Hulk crit missing on a quake to kill that tech that did me in as that tech with an 8 attack and a light proceeded to crit hit and OHKO my shatterstar who was basing a last click pushed robot since crits get around super senses now. That sucked and my last click Punisher could do precisely jack and poo poo at that point. He'd also done next to nothing in every game and was not worth the points.

Oh and a supreme douche who loves to rant and rail about teams needing poo poo they don't need decided to let me know my team "wasn't very good". Yeah motherfucker you see what I bring next week then. (I don't really like this guy on the best of days)

Morand fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 9, 2017

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

I don't know what it says that you both play at the same venue, and you have to ask which douchebag you're talking about - do you get a lot of douches at your venue? My experience, there's usually just one douche fuckin' it up for the people what's in the streets - the one guy who aggravates everybody. But I guess if you get bigger crowds, you'll get multiple douches.

Andy is being coy. He knows who I was talking about. That was his way of posting the team and also calling him a douche.

For the most part the venue is fine. One kid always tries to play hard cheese but never places well. Everyone else is pretty mellow for the most part.

Let me tell another story about said same douche from this past Sunday. Cheese kid asked the guy if he remembered a time he beat him with whatever and his response was I poo poo you not "See, I don't remember that game cause it was just another game but you remember it cause you never usually beat me."

It was basically a non ironic "For you, the day Bison visited your village was the most important day of your life. For me it was a Tuesday."

Suffice to say I am angry building for Sunday.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Ran a WKO with Harley Today.

Highlights are a team of Bat God and Title Character Harley going 1-2. In one round his refusal to just run all over with the free phasing doomed him. In another he apparently took 4 from a hootie owl.

Overall winning team of the Swiss was a team of granny goodness and cheap things. The event winner was a team of Prometheus, yellow scarecrow, big tony and something else maybe? He chipped down a giant swarm with poison and good luck.

Overall sculpts look good, paint jobs are hit or miss (Batgod was gorgeous) lots of broken figures in boosters though. Like a worrisome amount.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

How is it compared to WXM?

I didn't have an issue with that set so worse?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Crazy Hela has a DEAL FOR YOU. Crazy Hela WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD and for a limited time only are offering a FABULOUS deal! For a limited time only trade in your used tribble for a BRAND NEW WARRIOR SOUL!

In all seriousness, get 3 tribbles and a Hela and you now have an infinite army of Warrior Souls.

Turn 1 - Have tribble take a 0 square move action and make a tribble.
Turn 2 - Have Tribble push itself to death and Become a Warrior Soul. Tribble you spawned last turn takes a 0 square move and makes a tribble.

Repeat as needed.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Fist time I’ve been able to play in a couple weeks. 300 points true modern age. I was still annoyed at being told my team “wasn’t very good” when doing something fun last time I was out so I basically went hard as gently caress with cheese.

UXM Chase Magneto
Jakeem Thunder
Level 7 ID with Balls of Fury.
Green Arrow ID with elseworlds chase.

Yeah I’m not recapping because every single game ended in less then 10 minutes and I only lost 5, 10, and 10 points each round. I regret nothing because if you poo poo on me for trying to play fun I will get annoyed and do things like this. It also gets it out of my system for awhile.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Can you at least recap the response of the douche who mouthed off about your fun team when you murdered his team this time?

"Well I'm not going to win this week".

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

That's a little anticlimactic. I was expecting way more crybaby.

He was ultra quiet and made comments about people playing what they want to play.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I’ve never had an issue with plain old superglue

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

So yesterday was "Unlikely Allies" aka Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

600 points, no resources, ID cards, Relics, colossals, or equipment unless it already comes equipped via a legendary wielder trait. Each figure had to be linked to the previous one by a different keyword and you couldn't use the same keyword twice. Even if you managed to make a theme team, you'd only receive 3 theme PC's (Done to encourage more oddball builds)

I've only just recently managed to get in most of the mighty thor set (I have a kid and a budget so I am forced to wait for prices to drop to trade/buy stuff) and after seeing everyone else play stuff from this set for literal MONTHS I absolutely had to run something from the set.

I did the following all from Mighty Thor

Baldur who is a deity with
SR Prime Angela who is a ruler with
Chase Odin at 150 who is an asgardian with
Jane Foster who is an Avenger with
Thor Odinson Title Character who is a warrior with
Warrior of Asgard Generic

Asgardian theme so not very unlikely but I desperately wanted to play me some Asgardians.

Round 1 versus X-Force

DXF Cable
DXF Domino
Dr Nemesis
The new wizkids open Forge
DXF Colossos
DXF Boom Boom

I lost map and we played on a train station map that was put out by wizkids but isn't affiliated with any sets? He ran into hindering while I positioned on some elevated and proceeded to start generating crimson hawks and doing Hypersonic hit and runs with thor to build up +1's. He came up with colossus who got beat up and then KO'd by Angela to make her more annoying. Forge got a shot off on Title Thor with his powers go away gun, but Boom Boom and Cable missed their follow ups and thor called over Jane to heal and then cleared to get his goodies back. Hawks swarmed the hell out of his guys. Angela Ko'd Cable and got double mystics, then was pulled over to the fight by title thor and used her FREE to KO forge. Boom Boom fell and while domino was very annoying with her senses and shape change and negative to stats when I prob you power she couldn't stand up to the swarm for long.

Round 2 versus Mr "Your team isn't very good"

No theme of

Skull and Crossbones
Executioner
Enchantress
Anaconda
Civil War Jack O'Lantern
Baron Zemo

I won Map and chose the Limbo portal map with all the terrible elevations assuming it would annoy him more then me. I was correct. I was able to spawn alot of Crimson Hawks in the beginning as I had Angela next to Odin and he made me give his tokens to her the first DPA I did which since she was indom and I was planning on holding her back I really didn't care about at all. I used Thor's +1 power to Hyper out and hit one guy, then end and hit another with the elevations and his lack of range working to my advantage. He did get close enough to start doing Enchantress stuff which was more annoying then anything. I focused fire on her until she failed a shape change roll and she went down hard. Angela stood next to Skull and Crossbones and Executioner and took a beating, ending up on her last click where she murdered S&C and then got yoinked by Thor back to Jane and healed up. Executioner did Hurt Baldur a bit but was then knocked end dial where he was KO'd by the All Father and his precision strike.

And if you are curious his reaction to sitting next to me was to tell another player he was about to be 1-1.

Round 3 versus X-Men I think.

Chase AOA Magento
Chase AOA Weapon X
Chase AOA Colossus
The WKO Prize Shadowcat
Shifting Focus Deadpool
A Psylocke from a set I don't know
Starter set X-23

I lost map, ended up on the prison. I proceeded to sit back and just start generating Pogs and building plot points while being healed by Jane. I was gonna try to fire off Thor's Ultimate or just build up enough stuff to do lots of call the asgardian shenanigans. I got to 6 as he furiously rushed over. He was attaching weapon x to colossus and also using colossus to carry shadowcat via her trait which was actually kinda neat. I had Angela charge in and hit colossus and then get pulled back while the hawks swarmed in. Thor got a shot off on Colossus as well and moved back as far as he could. I thought that the hawks would keep me safe. I knew shadowcat could phase and blades me but I figured I'd be pretty safe with a 19 and invincible. He shifted deadpool to the perplex one and bumped up colossus's AV and then TK'd him with Magneto. Colossus then threw weapon x and hit me for 1, and weapon X did one more while also putting the slash FX on me. This put me on an 18 invuln and I began to sweat as I realized that losing Thor was suddenly a very real possibility. Kitty phased in and tried to blade but missed and I breathed a slight sigh of relief. I had Thor call up Baldur, who bladed Weapon X for 3. This also healed Thor to an invincible click effectively negating the slash marker which was good. Thor broke to hyper and KO'd Weapon X and ran back to Angela. My generic warrior managed a big blades roll on Kitty and a hawk finished her off. Hawks also KO'd X-23 but had to self KO 2 of themselves to do it (Pushing).

I was feeling better now. Magneto came down and hit Angela with objects. She took 3 and tanked the second with Impervious. I knocked Magneto to impervious where he proceeded to make 5 in a row. Time was called as Colossus KO'd my warrior and he knocked Angela to her last click. I won 250ish to 40 but actually came in second due to points.

Title Thor is ridiculous as gently caress on Asgardian teams. Take multiple shots to build up +1's or just stand there and do it and let Jane heal him and then you can do all sorts of Shenanigans with his Restore the lost asgardians power. Odin giving out a plus one to already super high attack values made things much easier as well. Angela was pretty OK. She only survived round 2 and 3 because of Thor and Jane. She was a terror Round 1, but that was about it. She'd be much better starting with exploit and getting some other bonus for KOing their big dog. It's funny, she can't get through the reducers of the big dogs who she's supposedly built to KO, but it's the little guys that annoy her the most since they can reduce her values and it's usually the little guys who have all the perplex and such.

Morand fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 12, 2017

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Ehhh. The SF characters tend to work well when fighting against other SF characters, in the main game they tend to get stomped.

Oh and welcome new guy! So the best place to always know what's modern is the wizkids rule forum, specifically this thread:

http://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=29&sid=47163f61c6f93d4ec772b978fc8ba004

Now many times you'll hear us casually dissing "the realms" in this case we're referring to Hcrealms. That site's unit section is worth the price of admission just stay far as gently caress away from the forums and use an adblocker cause Typhon will let anything advertise on his site including the obnoxious hijack ads.

There really are no banned figures in heroclix, the closest we ever came was the Con Faust cause he was a pile of rear end, but he just got removed from modern a little earlier. Modern age tends to only apply to major wizkids events too. Very few stores I've ever seen do modern age only as a rule, mine lets any figures ever made be used but just says no feats or BFC's (Don't look them up.) I've seen other stores say any figure from a carded set is fine. Really just check with the store.

Speaking of price, most figures are pretty cheap. CUR's (Common, Uncommon, Rare) rarely go for more then 5 bucks unless they are like an uber generic (gently caress YOU BROODS). It's the Super Rares and Chases that will make you really cough up the dough though if you want the new hotness. You can make perfectly competent teams with just CUR's though.

Other general new guy advice is that most longtime clix player LOVE you. Why? Because we tend to have piles of extra CUR's lying around that aren't worth selling or trading that we can give to you. It's Win/Win as we get rid of excess stuff, and you can start your collection.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Take a look at pieces from the Avengers/Defenders War set. There are Luke Cages and Iron Fists and Defenders everywhere and they'll mostly be cheap as gently caress.

And maps are something you'll get eventually. They come in starters and official release events. The Neoprene (Mouse Pad) maps are fun, but meant to be a bit more expensive.

Morand fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 20, 2017

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I just go to ebay, search for a figure and then filter it to sold listings. Drop the Highest and Lowest and take the average.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Asgardians aren’t a bad team to start with, they got a nice boost with the mighty Thor set.

A good concept to think of during games is “swing”. Swing is basically the amount of squares a figure can effectively attack in. For example a piece with 8 range and running shot with a speed of 8 has a swing of 12 since they can move 4 and then shoot you. This is important to know because if you end a movement 13 squares away from them you know they can’t hurt you. Swing can be messed with though. TK has a min range of 6 and max of the figures printed range so it would bump that swing up to 18 or more. Perplexing up range etc.

Swing is really important to know because once you can understand it you can start to see what your opponent is doing and start dictating the tempo of the game yourself. You could deliberately put a bait piece in their swing and hit them harder if they go for it, or just be out their range, etc.

As for storage I organize by set and use these bad boys.

https://www.zoro.com/stanley-adjust...ASABEgLbxPD_BwE

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Watchlist results!

https://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/12/27/heroclix-watch-list-q4-2017-results

Jakeem Thunder was added as well and has been changed a bit

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

Is there anything more satisfying in Clix than making an attack roll that was relatively unlikely and probably needed for you to stay in the game then the opponent making you reroll it and turning it into a critical hit? I think the only thing is maybe rolling a critical miss when you've mind controlled a tough guy and having them KO themselves.

Having a hail mary attack hit is the loving best.

I remember I had an I vampire take a "why not" shot on a Martian Manhunter. Two high rolls and missed shape change and super senses later Manhunter wasn't feeling so good and the entire game changed.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Today was “Those Most Powerful” 800 points, anything goes, at least one character must have the Power Cosmic, Quintessence, or Kingdom Come TA. I was initially planning on KC batman and a swarm of Bat-Drones until my buddy said he was going to run Uni-Mind with an Infinity Gauntlet and the Chase Thanos who can yank people next to him.

So I built an Adgardian Team designed to shut that poo poo down because gently caress that.

TMT Chase Odin
TMT Odinson
TMT Angela prime
TMT Beta Ray Bill at his lower line
TMT Chase Valkyrie at her lower line
TMT Baldur
TMT Jane Foster
TMT Fandral
FI Splitlip
HOT Mjolnir Relic
Green Arrow ID with Chase Arrow

Basically huddle around bill until Thor can pick up Mjolnir while building up plot points to fire off his ultimate.

Round 1 versus deity.

TMT Zeus
SFOSM Ares
SMWW Hermes
TMT Pluto

I won map but deferred and ended up on avengers island I think. I crowded around mjolnir and bill and began to try to lift it. He rushed down to get within 4 so that Zeus could EE, perplexing up his defense. Thor lifted Mjolnir. Baldur called in Arrow who hit Zeus. Souls came out but didn’t do much. Thor did his plus one to KO Zeus and hurt Hermès badly. Hermes ran to his snakes Angela and Valkyrie went for and KO’d ares. One of his souls ko’d Valkyrie but Thor was rocking Pluto and Hermes and then fired off his ultimate. Hades fell fast. Pluto ended up on his last click and made 9 straight Impervious rolls to just not die, but also couldn’t hit fandral who was dueling him. Fandral with his 14 kept hitting until he finally missed one of those Impervious rolls.

Round 2 versus Mystical

Colossal Trigon at 400?
Dormammu OP not colossal with full Phoenix Force
2 generic witches
Generic Druid.

I lost map and ended up on the jail. I huddled until I had Mjolnir. Trigon moved down and had his defense double perplexed but Arrow hit. Thor followed up and then Odin with some enhancement ko’d Him. Dormammu came down right into my guys but couldn’t hit over 2 turns. Valkyrie hit him for a 6 damage blades exploit and that was basically that.

Round 3 versus the team I built to beat

Uni Mind with a giant pile of eternals on the sideline
Gauntlet on Uni.
Chase Thanos.

Since BRB says can’t target and Thanos has to target to yank his things he was basically a non-factor. I picked up Mjolnir first roll. He got first attack with uni though, hitting Odin to his sleep click and then having Thanos come down to base me. Thor and friends KO’d Thanos and then I missed uni mind a lot, including with my green Arrow attack as 22’s are hard to hit. He hit Odin who rolled senses and then healed his click. Thor fired off his ultimate too. I beat uni down to his yellow line but he KO’d splitlip and soul healed a bunch. I knocked him back to invulnerable again and time was called, I couldn’t get off a single target pulse wave when I needed to and those loving stop clicks were killer.

Still I was the only 3-0 so I won the event. Next week is the annual New Years game. 2018 points and anything at all goes. 15 actions a round. Apokolips has run this event the last 3 years and I think I’m doing them again.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Previews have dropped for the next X-Men Set. Looks like AOA themed and Magneto has a Hellfire Club King Prime. Dials on the realms

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

So Sunday is my goddamn favorite event of the year. 2018 points, 15 actions, anything goes. Winner gets to suggest an event the store will do.

Every year I do Apokolips and every year Andy's Blood Pressure rises a little higher. This year the Apokolips squad may have some big trouble because the Asgardians got a loving giant power boost with TMT and Beta Ray Bill is a giant pile of cocks disguised as a clix figure.

But I'll still play them because I loving love them. I have 2 builds open for critiques. Build 1 incorporates more of the female furies to give me additional outwit and some close combat. Build 2 is closer to my team last year but drops Supergirl and Desaad for 2 better attackers IMHO.

Apokolips Builds

Darkseid - 350
Utility Belt - 14 (Full)
Lydea Mallor
Brimstone - 20
Brutaal - 175
Steppenwolf - 135
Flash, God of Death - 125
Eclipso/Ion (Equipped to flash) - 25
Parademon (SMWW) x 4 - 180
Parademon (JLTW) x 9 - 450
Big Barda - 125 (HQ)
Granny Goodness - 125 (HQ)
Stompa - 80 (HQ)
Lashina - 75 (HQ)
Bernadeth - 50 (HQ) OR Mad Harriet - 50 (HQ)
Green Arrow - 5
Shield Level 7 - 5

2018 on the nose 24 dudes.

Build 2

SLOSH Darkseid at 350 with a full utility belt
Lydea Mallor
Brimstone at 20
HQ Big Barda
SMWW Bruutal
SMWW Steppenwolf
4 SMWW Parademons
10 TW 50 Point Generic Parademons
8 B&TB Parademon Grunts
Flash, God of Death - 125
Eclipso/Ion (equipped) - 25
Nightwing, Green Arrow, Level 7 ID cards

2007 - 29 dudes

Any thoughts on how to deal with Asgardians? Map choice doesn't gently caress them over. Placement is in their favor with BRB. I'm a bit stuck. Oh and for Flash the Eclipso/Ion thing, I'm trying to borrow Ion from Andy. Should he forget it Eclipso is in my bag as a backup. I really want to try the furies, but I feel like in this format as soon as Granny moves them up they'll get loving slaughtered but I need them for the close combat or I'll never get around BRB. An alternate idea is to go super heavy on the older parademons from B&TB who have charge. They'll die in the dozens sure, but they're cheap so who cares

Morand fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 5, 2018

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

TAKE THE loving UTILITY BELT OFF OF DARKSEID YOU MOTHERFUCKER

NEVER

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Tried that one year. He was brutally murdered every round.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Today was the 2018 game. I ended up running team 1. I wanted to give the furies a whirl.

Quick recaps cause long ones are impossible.

Round 1 versus a 22 person Avengers team.

We played on the garden. His highest point dude was a Thor Odinson and after initial turns I focused all fire on him and KO’d him first. Dropped despair AND basically got a free turn since KOing the Odinson prevented his whole team from moving or attacking next turn. That let me just tee off and get 4 despair tokens on steppenwolf and it became almost impossible for him to hit me. He did nail a crit on a demon to KO it but it was too late

Round 2 versus a 24 person X-men team with a splitlip (via chase mags)and book of the skull

I lost map and ended up on the prison. I stole the hammer that gives the ability to break walls. This was a bad map for me. It hosed everything I try to do with this team. EVERYTHING. We only got 2.5 turns or so in cause we both had so much poo poo going on. He managed to get Lydea Mallor, I got Iceman and Vampire Wolverine. I managed to get an outwit off on NC to turn off his bullshit and stop me from losing Darkseid early which was big. Slow game though and I feel bad about a win like that

Round 3 versus a 16 person Asgardian Team.

First BRB team. I did the TK trick mentioned in the thread and killed his cloud power with nick fury. Then focused fire all over Odinson and KO’d him. He wasn’t the highest so no despair but I did get a free turn. Managed to get 2 despair tokens and then he made like 15 attacks by using Hogan’s special charge to grant charge. He got demons and then hosed my positioning with enchantress. In the middle of my next turn Time was called. We wanted to keep playing to see how it would end but it was already very late and my wife was very annoyed.

So yay Apokolips remains undefeated but we won dirty this year. Maybe it’s time to move on?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1,500 is enough points to do Apokolips right. Provided you have the core team and enough parademons.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Darkseid help me, I do not. They keep making the damned things SRs and chases and I haven't gotten any HQGG because I'm too damned broke. The best Darkseid I have is either SLOSH or Crisis. I'm considering Legion of Doom so I can use All My Teammates Are Useless with the purple and green Skull Ship, but I'm looking at other possibilities. I also considered Galactus at 600 and several of his Heralds with IC V Firelord as the free Herald, but I'd probably get my rear end handed to me. That's my secondary goal these days: give a good account of myself while at the same time pulling off wacky bullshit.

For the 1,000-point game I'm looking at a Politician team because the Presidential inauguration sometimes falls on January 20th. That'll let me trot out the DC10 Lex Luthor + GCPD trick. However, the only qualifying Commissioner Gordon I have is the Joker's Wild version and I don't think anyone else has Politician, Gotham City, and Police, so that idea would likely deflate pretty quickly absent a backup trick. I'm also considering Avengers again, this time to let me use the full lineup of AOU Hank Pym Morphs (absent the collector's set because gently caress paying $50 for that thing).

SLOSH IS the perfect Darkseid for Apokolips though.

Basically the absolute must plays are

SLOSH Darkseid
Steppenwolf
Brutaal

Then it’s a pile of the Parademons from JLTW. 10 or so?
A few of the Parademons that give mastermind

Then it’s a bunch of whatever else works

Morand fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Today was 300 points for booster gold.

I ran 5 Bat-Knights because I finally managed to get enough for a 300 point team and I wanted to try them out.

Round 1 versus Asgardians.

TMT Lady Thor
Baldur
Asgardian Warrior
Enchantress

I won map and chose the premium warehouse. Having a spot with enough hindering that enchantress couldn’t gently caress with me too bad was key. He left baldur open early not next to any asgardians and I got 2shots off on him. Lady Thor charged in and hit one sentry to its last click. It incapped her off impervious and other sentries with empower just wrecked her. Warrior ko’d The last click sentry and got wrecked. Cam down to all sentries left via enchantress and she missed her first shape change and that was that

Round 2 versus X-men

WKO Forge
UXM 50 point cyclops
UXM 50 point Wolverine
WATX Jean Grey
Sunfire with his prime sidelined
OP Kit Banshee
Colossus ID with 50 point colossus

This is a super shooty team and I really needed to win map roll. Thankfully my opponent crit missed his map roll and we went to the black mercy. Early on was positioning, I slowly sidestepped up and he moved down. First attack went to him as he TK’d out banshee and hit one of my drones to last click with PW but banshee had to push to do it. I took 3 shots on banshee and rolled 3 straight 6’s when I needed a 7. That was the beginning of a bad stretch of rolling. He TK’d sunfire and pulsed my hurt drone and KO’d it but missed the top dial one. Sidestepped up and took a close combat shot on banshee and rolled a 5 which hit as he only had a 16. The object damage managed to KO him. Another drone with empower and an object hit sunfire and made the prime come out. My opponent then TK’d sunfire back and pulled in colossus to give his team impervious. I positioned. I then made something like 8 straight attacks over 2 turns, including 4 rams that all would have hit multiple figures and rolled nothing but 3’s and 4’s. I got very frustrated. I even had to leave one out in the open as I was trying to nail that sunfire for 120 points. He had Jean take a shot but I hit KC. Forge then shot with the intention of neutralizer gunning me but missed. Back to hindering and more misses. Switched my die and proceed to prob into a crit miss.
I then reacted poorly as I threw my dice across the gaming space towards the trash can. I missed the trash can and greatly amused the gaming staff at the store. That was super immature of me so yeah.

He got sunfire next to a pushed drone and after it cleared, hit and poisoned it to its last click.the drone incapped him for KO but died for punching him. Managed to finally hit some rams and hurt his team bad. Nom ramming drones took shots for finishing off things.

If I hadn’t won map I’d have lost that game hard.

Round 3 versus Star Trek

Prime Kirk
Lt Sulu with shirtless chase on the sideline
Starter Mccoy and Scotty for defense and damage boosts
Ensign Chekov

I won map and stayed on the mercy map. I made every single attack, including several multi target rams. He never could shoot me back and I just poured on the damage. Came down to Kirk v world and he just couldn’t pull it out.

So despite some lovely die luck I managed to finish 3-0and win booster. I made sure to spend money at the store as an apology for being a giant child. I’m not going to make that a habit.