Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I downloaded this to burn time one day and its really sucked me in. I have no idea what im doing, I started as a Shadow and built myself for dots and ranged damage with a bow. Does anyone else play this? Seems like it would be more fun with people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I got addicted to this a couple weeks ago and it's great fun. some tips for new players to make it more fun are installing a loot filter so you dont see all the useless drops, looking up the forums for a build guide to max out your dps so you can actually beat endgame bosses, use a third party trading website that copies a message to whisper people in game, not using any of your orbs for crafting because you should spend them trading with people through the third party site, and buying some microtransaction inventory tabs so you can sell your own items through the third party site to get more crafting orbs that you can spend on gear for your other five characters

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also be sure to visit your doctor regularly for STI testing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Control Volume posted:

I got addicted to this a couple weeks ago and it's great fun. some tips for new players to make it more fun are installing a loot filter so you dont see all the useless drops, looking up the forums for a build guide to max out your dps so you can actually beat endgame bosses, use a third party trading website that copies a message to whisper people in game, not using any of your orbs for crafting because you should spend them trading with people through the third party site, and buying some microtransaction inventory tabs so you can sell your own items through the third party site to get more crafting orbs that you can spend on gear for your other five characters

lmao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You should save your orbs to use them on end game items because your a Self Find Warrior

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
don't do what i did, which is to not invest in whatever gives you health. i got to the first major hurdle of the game, got shredded in 2 seconds, and the response from people who play was that my character was beyond repair because i didn't spec to the right health amount.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i think a key problem with the game is that it starts out way too easy and that kind of encourages players to skip health and defenses, and then in act4-5 all the sudden everything hits like a truck

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

extremebuff posted:

i think a key problem with the game is that it starts out way too easy and that kind of encourages players to skip health and defenses, and then in act4-5 all the sudden everything hits like a truck

that's what happened to me. also the global chat was like 100% trump supporters calling people 'cucks' (i know that i can turn off global chat), so i realized that maybe the game wasn't for me, and quit. it's a pretty good ARPG, though. completely amazing that it's free.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

that's what happened to me. also the global chat was like 100% trump supporters calling people 'cucks' (i know that i can turn off global chat), so i realized that maybe the game wasn't for me, and quit. it's a pretty good ARPG, though. completely amazing that it's free.

lmao the general chat is the purest stream of internet sewage

its hard to miss the health passives, theyre always next to or tied to all the good stuff you want. especially for melee characters you basically cant avoid getting big health boosts.

but yeha, diablo 2 had Andariel to hammer into the player's head that you need some HP to get anywhere. you can sleep through the first 3 acts of POE and i hope they address that next season

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i figured it was like most ARPGs in the way that health didn't matter if you had life leech, which i did, but the Lab boss was the first time I couldn't outpace damage with damage.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

in non diablo style aids games theres nothing more epic than completely ignoring health upgrades and just pumping all your upgrades for damage and moves and surviving the late game purely by avoiding damage with your gamer skill

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

i figured it was like most ARPGs in the way that health didn't matter if you had life leech, which i did, but the Lab boss was the first time I couldn't outpace damage with damage.

there is a passive, vaal pact, that makes life steal happen instantly and you'll see your HP jumping up and down rapidly and its dumb as hell lol

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

trying to jack off posted:

in non diablo style aids games theres nothing more epic than completely ignoring health upgrades and just pumping all your upgrades for damage and moves and surviving the late game purely by avoiding damage with your gamer skill

Got a good example?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sector_corrector posted:

Leech builds kinda suck till late game iirc. But yeah everyone in this game builds health, except for people using this one passive that sets your HP to 1. They use energy shield the same way though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Liquid Drink posted:

Got a good example?

I think he's referring to Lords of the Fallen

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

extremebuff posted:

there is a passive, vaal pact, that makes life steal happen instantly and you'll see your HP jumping up and down rapidly and its dumb as hell lol

i took this

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

how can your character be beyond repair? dont you get a ton of refunds?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

how can your character be beyond repair? dont you get a ton of refunds?

you do, i dont think any character can just be gimped. unless you did something dumb like get both 1-hand and 2-hand damage or something. theres life and defense nodes just about everywhere

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You get a lot but not enough to like, refund half your tree. You'd have to be exceptionally retarded to make a build that gear couldn't fix

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i could have fixed my character, but i didn't feel like it because it would've involved looking at a guide or something

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Now Ive installed a third party program that lets you plan out builds and gives you DPS estimates for different passive nodes and Ive spent several hours trying to figure out the best build for a character who smacks the ground and makes lava pop out (starting skill)

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Control Volume posted:

Now Ive installed a third party program that lets you plan out builds and gives you DPS estimates for different passive nodes and Ive spent several hours trying to figure out the best build for a character who smacks the ground and makes lava pop out (starting skill)

lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Awesome

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Control Volume posted:

Nice

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Probably had like ten characters reach mapping this league, with undoubtedly more to come

This game is very compelling

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Probably had like ten characters reach mapping this league, with undoubtedly more to come

This game is very compelling

Word... I love Fast Food and Candy Bars lol

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

playing tonight if anyone wants to mess around... im level 31 and my steam name is tosho.tcc thanks comrades

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

playing tonight if anyone wants to mess around... im level 31 and my steam name is tosho.tcc thanks comrades

ABsolutely loving not.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Control Volume posted:

It's funny that you typed "Passive nerds" since that's exactly what you'd have to be to get any enjoyment out of this rotten dump truck of a game. I hope the servers with all the game files for this crap melt down and explode.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

It's funny that you typed "Passive nerds" since that's exactly what you'd have to be to get any enjoyment out of this rotten dump truck of a game. I hope the servers with all the game files for this crap melt down and explode.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmao

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
there isn't an ARPG thread right now, so this will do, but check out this diablo II mod that turns it into doom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0IpNxqt34s

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

there isn't an ARPG thread right now, so this will do, but check out this diablo II mod that turns it into doom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0IpNxqt34s

nice, ive always wanted to play a clunkier worse version of doom

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

nice, ive always wanted to play a clunkier worse version of doom

You haven't tried Quake yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Pewdiepie posted: