Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Have you ever read an autobiography of someone you liked/respected, and in reading it it made you think less of the author? I have, and it seems to happen a lot with entertainment types.

Also note I am talking about autobiographies that disappointed you. As opposed to biographies where you find out thatsomeone you liked was not the person you thought they were, or ghost written books that disappoint because you realise that the 'author' is too stupid to even write about themselves.

Here are a few of mine:

David Mitchell: He is exactly like his stage/TV persona. The very embodiment of staid, conservative, conventional, middle class repression. Given how quick witted he seems to be, and how funny I find him, I was expecting more sparkle and wit.

Tina Fey: Much like with Dave abobe, she has an absurdly bourgeouise mindset and is so normal and plain and damnably 'Middle American' that it made me sad. Given her TV shows I expected more anarchic wit and funniness, and given the fact she was the first female SNL head writer I expected more ballsy inspirational stuff.

Johnny Rotten: He is an arrogant entitled prick who reckons Punk was all about him

Bret Hart: I know, it's my fault for reading about a professional wrestler, but he really is a sooky, precious, crybaby who believes that pro wrestling, and it's attendant titles, are real.

Stephen Fry: I enjoyed his first two autobiographies, but the third one, (The Fry Chronicles), was a dirge which can be explained in the sentence "I took cocaine and went to a never ending series of swish parties populated by luvvies, here let me describe them all to you in excruciating detail." This is a pity because I have enjoyed most of his fiction works.

Also, don't get me wrong. I realise that these authors/celebrities "faults" are all my fault for idolising them and projecting my preferred personality onto them. But it still makes me a little sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I see a lot more sadness in Norm Macdonald after reading his book. The book is hilarious, bar chapter 2, i think where he drops any pretence of the book being a joke and explains how his father's farmhand used to rape him.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Drunken Baker posted:

I see a lot more sadness in Norm Macdonald after reading his book. The book is hilarious, bar chapter 2, i think where he drops any pretence of the book being a joke and explains how his father's farmhand used to rape him.
Isn't his book a novel jokingly billed as a memoir?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Isn't his book a novel jokingly billed as a memoir?

It is.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Bret Hart: I know, it's my fault for reading about a professional wrestler, but he really is a sooky, precious, crybaby who believes that pro wrestling, and it's attendant titles, are real.

Ah you are one of those dullards

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
If it was a memoir it'd be full of juicy gossip, like how he's a deeply closeted homosexual!*

I guess it's hard to describe. You'd just have to read it(listen to it). That chapter about the farmhand, especially in the audiobook version, is so tonally different from everything else in there.

*His Conan bit talking about the book is solid gold.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 5, 2017

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

BrigadierSensible posted:

David Mitchell: He is exactly like his stage/TV persona. The very embodiment of staid, conservative, conventional, middle class repression. Given how quick witted he seems to be, and how funny I find him, I was expecting more sparkle and wit.

The whole thing about his courtship of Victoria Coren made me feel deep, deep shame on his behalf. Like, I find most of the Internet chest beating CUCK CUCK BETA MALE FRIENDZONE poo poo to be eye-rollingly inane, but holy Hell dude let himself get sidelined while Coren banged better dudes for a few years and obligingly waited for that time and then instantly rolled over when she was done and wanted to settle. And then told everyone about it in his autobiography. Like, dude. Dude. It's Victoria Coren, she's a nasal doorstop who is good at reading Only Connect answers with conviction. You don't wait years for Victoria Coren.

quote:

I really enjoyed the constant complaints that his wife was paranoid juxtaposed with the constant bragging about banging ring rats. Also the constant complaining about Shawn Michaels' lack of professionalism, juxtaposed with "So anyway I was telling Vince I shouldn't job..."

Oh and casually mentioning him and his brothers pissing on each other's faces. And him going to Jerusalem and having the exact same hand size as Jesus!!!!

Anyway, Have A Nice Day by Mick Foley made me like Mick Foley a fair amount less. Much like Hart, he's really, really odd and whiny. Like, he kept complaining that he was wrecking himself in WCW for nothing, when nobody in WCW asked him to wreck himself with ridiculous bumps every night and he was only doing that because he couldn't be bothered learning to wrestle. Also his bullying of DDP, who is basically some kind of earthbound saint. And his whole ridiculous shitfit about the Montreal Screwjob, where he was so totally gonna take a stand, guys, just so totally gonna except Undertaker said not to in a secret phone call [and also money] BUT GUYS I WAS TOTALLY GONNA TAKE A STAND OVER THIS FAKE FIGHT.

As a weird aside, reading an unhealthy amount of wrestler autobiographies made me like Owen Hart less. It seems obligatory to have an ~~~RIP mY fRiEnD oWeN~~~ chapter in any wrestling autobiography, and then there's always glowing praise for his heeeeeelarious pranks - which seemed to largely consist of throwing food/drink on people and waking them up with 3am phone calls - and glossing over the fact that he was as sloppy as poo poo and injured other wrestlers without giving a gently caress or apologising. If dude hadn't become ring pizza I'm confident he'd be viewed as a Mr. Kennedy style dickhead nowadays.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Oh, you're not talking about the author of Cloud Atlas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Disgusting Coward posted:

The whole thing about his courtship of Victoria Coren made me feel deep, deep shame on his behalf. Like, I find most of the Internet chest beating CUCK CUCK BETA MALE FRIENDZONE poo poo to be eye-rollingly inane, but holy Hell dude let himself get sidelined while Coren banged better dudes for a few years and obligingly waited for that time and then instantly rolled over when she was done and wanted to settle. And then told everyone about it in his autobiography. Like, dude. Dude. It's Victoria Coren, she's a nasal doorstop who is good at reading Only Connect answers with conviction. You don't wait years for Victoria Coren.

I really enjoyed the constant complaints that his wife was paranoid juxtaposed with the constant bragging about banging ring rats. Also the constant complaining about Shawn Michaels' lack of professionalism, juxtaposed with "So anyway I was telling Vince I shouldn't job..."

I took another issue with the Coren-Mitchells. Insomuch as he is basically telling all the "nice guys" out there, "Hey, it's OK if taht girl you love doesn't like you, just wait and pine and be miserable for a few years or so, she'll come around eventually and realise tha you are the one for her." Which is stupid at best, and dangerous at worse

And I agree entirely about the hypocrisy of Bret regarding his infidelities, and "you should be professional, after all wrestling is fake, but I shouldn't lose because I am tough and good and people only like me if I look tough and good."

• Locked thread