Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Sanity check please.

Prove me wrong that xfinitywebmail.com is a fake/phishing domain, recently stood up on what must be G Suite, please.

Thank you very much. I'm trying to show my dad how Craigslist scams work (and trying to buy a Polaris quad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Looks like it just redirects to xfinity.com

looks legit

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Not that the domain matters all that much for a Craigslist scam, thats a good one. It does appear to be bullshit though, its only two months old registered by some random group. They just had it redirect and are using the domain for email addresses I suppose. Though again, I'm not sure what credence that could possibly give a deal for an ATV

http://servicehostnet.com/domain/xfinitywebmail.com

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Don Lapre posted:

looks legit

Look again. I don't mean where its nameservers are pointing...

1gnoirents posted:

Not that the domain matters all that much for a Craigslist scam, thats a good one. It does appear to be bullshit though, its only two months old registered by some random group. They just had it redirect and are using the domain

http://servicehostnet.com/domain/xfinitywebmail.com
Roger that. Thank you very much.

Also, they were "selling" from rural *Idaho*, and the "person's" name was Eva Brown.

Does that strike anyone else as a little on the nose, or am I just prejudice against against a whole state?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Yes its beyond fishy but if its an ATV wouldnt he physically have to see the thing? If there is shipping involved or some nonsense involving the movement of money before seeing an item then thats good enough to rule it illegitimate

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
No, I mean the Hitler reference in a state with a larger than some porportion of white supremacists...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

looks legit
No. This is absolutely not how it works, and this is incredibly suspicious.

The website redirects to xfinity.com but this has nothing to do with email.

quote:

dig xfinitywebmail.com mx

; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Ubuntu <<>> xfinitywebmail.com mx
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 49945
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 65494
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;xfinitywebmail.com. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
xfinitywebmail.com. 3599 IN MX 10 alt4.aspmx.l.google.com.
xfinitywebmail.com. 3599 IN MX 10 alt3.aspmx.l.google.com.
xfinitywebmail.com. 3599 IN MX 5 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.
xfinitywebmail.com. 3599 IN MX 5 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.
xfinitywebmail.com. 3599 IN MX 1 aspmx.l.google.com.

;; Query time: 145 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.53#53(127.0.0.53)
;; WHEN: Sun Sep 03 11:35:59 EDT 2017
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 162
The mx records point to google, so this is probably set up with Google Apps.

This means that if you send email to bob@xfinitywebmail.com, the person who registered xfinitywebmail.com will get it, not bob@xfinity.com, regardless of the fact that the website redirects to xfinity.com.

Of course, you don't know who some random person with an xfinity.com address would be either, but this is definitely an extra layer of shadiness.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 3, 2017

• Locked thread