Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

If this thread title was an acronym a la the NES it would be pronounced "sex"
no one says NES like that stop joking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

when you think about it, Mario is a procedurally generated auto runner, its just that the procedure is inside miyamoto-san's brain and you're a baby if you let go of the run button

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i have hope metroid will be better than lords of shadow
the true comparison is whether its better than mirror of fate, which won't be hard cause that game was even worse than lords of shadow

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the korok forest stealth quest in breath of the wild is :whitewater:

that's my first game opinion of september

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

learning that there is such a game as Nobunaga's Ambition 201X, seeing a picture of nobunaga holding a laser gun, and then realizing that its a bad mobile gacha game, is today's arc of disappointment

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

It's fine they said he can join the 'hypesquad'
his follow up tweets are lol also, a hypesquad member is sending him long DMs about how discord is NOT childish and he was being turned into the discord police

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I hear gaia online's a lot better now you should check it out

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

raditts posted:

yeah, I didn't know liking Vagrant Story was controversial.
I never did actually finish it, though. with all the poo poo that Square remakes, I wish they'd make that one of them, since it's probably unplayably ugly by today's standards.
its one of the better looking psx games at least, if you run it in an emulator at a high res it could pass for a PS2 game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

what about onion rings

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm on team onion rings

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

games that will never leave early access: the 3D space station 13 clone that just showed up on steam, developed by the dayz guy

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

HoboNews posted:

Is he actually still showing his face on videogames?

What's the game name?
Stationeers, doesn't look too bad tbh although a bit more space engineers than SS13 at the moment. feature list is a crazy early access warning sign tho

he actually released a real rear end completed game last year, Out of Ammo, that was one of the best among the first batch of VR games, so dayz guy is alright by me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I won't care about this until you can make bombs out of potato chips and water.
it doesn't have any kind of adversarial mode or roles yet, which IMO is kind of missing the point of why people play SS13. I'm watching some youtube vids of it now though and I have decided, I will buy this game because it actually looks a lot better than space engineers despite SE being in early access for approximately 69 months

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ff14 is making a strong case right now, for game of the year, by making itself a sequel to fft

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

shoes (and socks) are for suckers

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you're going to present the player with a task that can be failed, then pull the interactivity out of it at the last second in order to achieve a dramatic effect, you should be making movies, not video games.
I agree generally, but also its not like making the last bullet in the gun do more damage or the last 10% of the healthbar actually represent 20% of your health is the equivalent to the intro fight in sotn where if you die maria comes and kills dracula for you

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I know it's early but I'd like to nominate FF14 for game of the month.
I've been using the yokai monk fists for awhile they go pretty well with my bruce lee glamor

Erg posted:

Cost increases per minion that you buy, and you need to grind out Fates with the correct minion to get a weapon

I've done 3 and haven't gotten any weapon currency yet so the event's busted and worthless imo
I just checked my yokai spreadsheet from the last time they had this event, and it took me 45 days of daily grinding to get everything lmao, not including the initial grind to get the minions

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 3, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

here's my chart from last time, 222 medals over a month and a half. I like ff14 a lot and I'm glad I did it because the yokai stuff is insanely good, but gently caress that event lmao. I didn't record the actual number of fates I ran but the drop rate is about 33% so 666 fates @ 5-10 minutes each + travel time = 100+ hours of grinding

Lizard Wizard posted:

Maybe there's a farming group on party finder idk
that's the way to do it yeah, get grouped up

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

Sounds fun lol
it was, because after all that I get to ride around inside of this thing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Do they give you those charts or did you do it yourself
I made my own spreadsheet to track stuff because I was gonna go insane if I didn't have some idea of where I was at in the process + its easy to mess up and waste time grinding the wrong medals if you aren't organized about it

I'm pretty sure that was by design because they know how evil the event they made was lmao

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I feel bad for the cuphead guys, cause they ended up delaying their game by two years, remortgaged their houses, and totally compromised the design of their game because dummies had a negative reaction when they revealed it was a boss rush thing

if they had just released it 2 years ago it would have been good + they wouldn't have ruined their lives

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

36 seconds omfg
holy crap dean takahashi has never played mario

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Motto posted:

So many devs involved with MS have had some weird issue or another so I can believe it.
there was also the story about the phantom dust sequel where it started out as a super low budget multiplayer only game and some MS dude got on a podcast and talked a lot of poo poo about how it was gonna have a 40 hour JRPG story mode and unilaterally changed the scope of the project without increasing the budget

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/deantak/status/904397883272708096

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

He chose to sacrifice his reputation as a games journalist to provide us all this important service and hell, I'm thankful.
he did that 10 years ago actually when he reviewed mass effect 1 and said the game was too hard and sucked, until everyone pointed out that he didn't spend any of his skill points

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

no loving way
Mass Defect: Why Mass Effect falls short of its hype

It delivered on the first, but not on the second. While the conversational system and facial animation is perhaps the best I’ve ever seen in a video game, the game play is maddeningly flawed. Call it Mass Defect.
But here’s where it breaks down. The tactical play is horrendous. That wasn’t so evident on the early Eden Prime level, but once you’re off in the missions to other planets, it becomes overwhelmingly bad. You feel like you’re fighting with extremely incapable soldiers.
Maybe this game is just my Vietnam War of video games. I’m stuck in the middle. And I don’t think I’ll ever get out. It has beaten me. And you? If you’re into good game play as much as I am, you should forget about this one.

Update:
When so many readers wrote in to tell me that I messed up my review of Mass Effect, I had to take a second look. It turns out, you were right. I was wrong. I owe an apology to you for writing a bad review. I also apologize to BioWare, which made a better game than I thought, and gulp, to Microsoft. The game play is not as flawed as I thought.
The dumb thing about the way I played the game, as many pointed out, is that I didn't make use of my Talent Points. I started the game doing so, but while on Feros, I didn't pay attention to all the Talent Points I was accumulating after every encounter. Those points just sat there. They were waiting for me to assign them to specific character trait improvements...A lot of positive effects flowed from this expanded repertoire in game play.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm trying to think of a game that I gave up on because I couldn't beat it to call my Vietnam but I'm struggling, the only thing that comes to mind is some samurai western thing I played on PS2 that I got to one of the later bosses and just had no idea how you were supposed to beat him.
my Video Vietnam is Orphen: Scion of Sorcery, on the PS2

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Now THERES a bad game i hadnt thought about in years.
it was really bad, and came out in an unfortunate time in my life where I would go to blockbuster to 1) rent any PS2 game with an anime character on the cover and 2) ask if they had macrosses 3-6 in stock

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Even is this was the truth, how could they say they won't profit from any of it? Where does the other $1.50 of every sale go?
That's 30% of $5 so I'm guessing that's the platform holder cut

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wow this is incomprehensible

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

how bad is endless shrimp at red lobster, I need shrimp inside me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

saw someone playing vainglory today, its both a phone game AND a moba that's like two bad for the price of one, so of course I downloaded it lmao its okay I guess

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

baby steps. like how now there's apparently microtransaction emblems that give you an in-game edge lol
cool, I love russian free to play MMO mechanics, thanks bungie

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

please, her canonical name is lunch

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its like Spaceballs but with an actual ball from space

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

While it's ultimately up to the CEO of Square Enix, he says that "if things are taken a little too far," the mods for Final Fantasy 15 might affect the moddability of future Final Fantasy games. "So if there's anything we can say, it's try to be as controlled as possible."

i'm gonna make the biggest dick mod in the world

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

the thing about raids (or strikes. whatever) is they're actually pretty hard to make if you're gonna put the effort in, and the big MMOs don't add them that often either (ff14 is sort of an exception but all its raids are corridors). but people are conditioned to expect a shitton because all the major mmos out have been here so long that they have a bunch of them.

when wow was new it had, what, one raid? but that was over a decade ago lol
strikes are dungeons though, you definitely need more than 5 dungeons

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lets hang out posted:

They're going to sell millions with just 5 so actually they don't
they're gonna sell millions regardless of how bad they make the game so lmao

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

I think it speaks to how good the pilot movement is that being in the big robot that also has dashes feels lame by comparison.

Also, personally I think the two weapon limit works for Titanfall 2 because it encourages you to keep moving such that you generally only hold onto a weapon long enough to empty the clip and then grab the next nearby gun. It doesn't work as well with slower paced games.
idk if they changed the SP, but they recently patched the multiplayer to a 3 weapon system and tbh it sucks. I don't like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think you can put an anti titan weapon in there too I forget

• Locked thread