Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Missed opportunity for a SeptembeR-388 thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have too many untouched games not even counting steam. It is my greatest gamer sin.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

raditts posted:

You unlock everything you need in Splatoon by level 10, which you can reach in like an hour of play, because while the single player mode is like an extended tutorial, it's reasonable to assume that most people will never play the single player mode in a multiplayer shooter.

Unpocking stuff like that is still dumb and bad. Teaching players how to get better at your game is good, but unlocks are not that.

Mmo trends and loot boxes will be the death of video games.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

You have access to like 80% of weapon types at Level 4 which takes approximately 10 minutes.

Then why not 100% at 0 minutes? It is a totally pointless gate.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

Finally got the Risky Boots dlc for Shantae, it was fun and good but like the base game it still didn't come close to the goodness of Pirate's Curse. Playing as Risky is fun but because you can do her levels in any order it makes the levels not as tight as they could be, especially given you're huge amount of mobilty moves. Only the last stage reallt makes you use all your moves and even that is over far too soon. The game in general is also really short, but that shouldn't really be a surprise.

Still good though

I'm enjoying it and it's better than the base game. Most of the bosses still suck, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I should quit my job and be a video games reviewer man because I can at least beat a tutorial. I can demand the highest salary in the place.

Also I beat Risky Boots, and while it was short it was a good time, bad bosses aside. The various movement skills they give you are fun and have a good feel. I'd quite like it if they released smaller things like this more frequently, but I kinda feel like this is the last we are realistically getting aside from whatever remaining kickstarter goals two years from now.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 3, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Whom else is looking forward to Divinity Original Sin 2: Sin Harder. I'm gonna play a lizard wizard.

I'm a good boy and do not sin.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

al-azad posted:

There's a fun board game called Rollplayer where you're drafting dice to create the perfect Dungeons & Dragons character. I won with a half-orc ranger whose parents are dead and is a lawful good reckless folk hero with 3 intelligence, 3 wisdom, and 3 charisma as god Gary Gygax intended.

The folk hero with no charisma.

"Well, he did single-handedly save our entire village from bandits, but that shirt with those shoes?"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's called labor day because you're supposed to be at work laboring on it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm playing Hearthstone again and kind of enjoying it, even though it remains a total joke as a competitive game and the mode that Blizzard has actively focused on balancing is, predictably, in worse shape than the one they neglected.

I've wanted Control Shaman to actually be good forever and it finally happened, though, at least for a few more days until the Hex nerf comes down.

How are they nerfing hex? I'm guessing mana cost? I stopped following hearthstone after getting annoyed at how they keep making cards with interesting effects garbage and ridiculously straightforward cards busted.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Isn't MHW next year?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hopefully the meme games will die with Bubsy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I watched a preview that went through the open beta strike and it honestly didn't look that impressive. There was like one kinda cool set piece with the huge drill, but the rest looked kinda bland.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nasgate posted:

Finally installed Titanfall 2 to see the hype about the single player campaign.

Definitely pretty good, running and shooting was fun. The robot was boring and stupid slow in comparison to how they animated it in cutscenes.
Overall I forgot how nice it is to beat a game in a few hours and move on.

I think it speaks to how good the pilot movement is that being in the big robot that also has dashes feels lame by comparison.

Also, personally I think the two weapon limit works for Titanfall 2 because it encourages you to keep moving such that you generally only hold onto a weapon long enough to empty the clip and then grab the next nearby gun. It doesn't work as well with slower paced games.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I think you can put an anti titan weapon in there too I forget

Putting an anti-titan weapon in that slot just swaps it with the pistol. It's basically just whether you want your quick swap to go to anti titan or pistol. I like that it gives a reason to have pistols because otherwise they were totally pointless.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't play Titanfall 1, but I found out recently about its rodeo mechanic and it sounds way cooler and better than what they did in 2 which is to make it usually a bad idea to try.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

I believe the Deathroad to Canada devs are goons. One of em is at least. They also did the excellent iOS games Punch Quest, Mage Gauntlet and Wayward Souls.

Have you met a very anime character yet? You'll know em when you come across em.

Also it is very important that you stay with your anime friend until the end, and do not desert them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sol is Dizzy's dad, maybe.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pro cat tip: be the warmest thing in the room.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

Love that the real money Destiny lootboxes drop one time use cosmetics that you can't get any other way

Maybe Destiny will kill loot boxes.

I know it won't.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It is time for the Arby's 5 for 5 to return. And also for White Castle to spread at least to where I live.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

white castle wouldn't even expand to california's capital city of weed and beer, chico. it'll never be near your town

You'd think Portland and the surrounding area might have a shot, but they probably think they're too good for the castle.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

50% of the boxes had a live scorpion in them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've never found a good way to use a handheld comfortably for longer periods.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't like how even in the Paper Mario/Mario rpg series that humanizes and fleshes out many Mario enemies, the shyguys are apparently all still dicks.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm bored. Which Advance Wars CO had the best theme music?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Grimm, Gage, and Jess are the ones I can generally bring to mind.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not that they're hard at all, but Paper Mario does seem like the type of series that would benefit from a more or less autoplay mode in battles.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The gun upgrades in Risky Boots are nuts. You go from a worthless pea shooter with any of the ammos to a Contra gun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm going to take the controversial stance that sending death or rape threats to anyone for any reason is bad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The cuphead video is good because it highlights how much general video game knowledge even tutorials assume, and that is still a barrier to them gaining a larger audience. Granted that wasn't the sole issue he had, but it does make up a lot of it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not saying games need to target everybody, but they could do a lot better about teaching people to play them or being more accessible to worse players, and their communities and frequently the devs themselves could be less hostile to people who need those things (but that's a pipe dream if ever there was one).

I'm also excluding most competitive games from this because there's really no way you could make SC or dota or quake or whatever more accessible, though maybe I'm just not thinking creatively enough.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Erg posted:

also dungeons being bitesized to the point that i can start and completely sweep them in 20 minutes owns

Link Between Worlds is real good (except octorok baseball) and let's all thank Reggie for it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

Firewatch is my favorite walking sim but there's not enough fire watching

There's plenty of fires you could watch right now if you really want.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Who the gently caress is even named Irma these days, really

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's not David Sirlin's Chess 2.0 by David Sirlin, so clearly garbage.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Someone brought to my attention that Paul Rudd will eventually star in a rom com opposite a woman who hasn't been born yet

Pretty sure that has already happened numerous times with other actors, though I can't recall any names off the top of my head.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i got owned when the direction i headed at the end of chapter 3 turned out to be the opposite direction of chests

Games that clearly mark which direction the plot is in so that you can avoid it are always appreciated.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Anime is good, is older than anyone posting here, and will outlive all of us.

I plan to live forever, along with anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

lets hang out posted:

i played everybody's golf all weekend, and i'm going to buy ys 8 on tuesday, hope everyone has a good week

I don't recall giving you permission to play my golf.

• Locked thread