Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Do you mean advance wars in general or battalion wars?

If the latter, what can you tell me about them? All I know is that they were originally going to be called advance wars but I guess they changed that so they're sorta to advance wars what maximo is to ghosts and goblins, a 3D series that obviously had its start as a sequel to the 2D series.

Battalion wars was a very fun series, it was an RTS lite where you controlled one unit like a third person shooter while giving attack orders to the rest of your group. The comparisons to advance wars mostly come from its very rock-paper-scissors unit design and its cutesy war aesthetic, the gameplay and presentation are nothing alike. Also like advance wars, the factions are obvious goofy knockoffs of real nations, but far more overt than AW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The monster hunter gunlance is the only one I'll allow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtAW2xXZ9nE

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Haha people are very ineffectually trying to defend blood vials again.

Samuringa posted:

Bloodborne: Hunters are bullshit. I can understand Gascoigne, he's fast but manageable; now that guy on the top of the tower was a goddamn rear end in a top hat. He had a loving handcannon, how unfair is this!? And I didn't even get to loot it/buy it after I was done with him, all I got was his katar thingy. Lame.

You can start with the blunderbuss. Also you can shoot that guy off the edge if you just spam your gun as soon as you get to the top of the ladder.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Good games take years. You really don't want them to announce it before its ready. Better they wait until its pretty much done and then go "hey check THIS poo poo out"

The whole "hype ourselves up and then get mad we got hyped" thing with gamers is bad.

This is already happening with cyberpunk 2077 where I regularly see people talking about how it's going to be the second coming of christ based on absolutely fuckall except a 5 year-old teaser for the fact that it is a thing that will exist

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

How has everyone's weekend been going?

I've been having a terrible weekend to be honest but I'm hoping that everyone else is having at least a decent one to balance things out somewhat.

I played a lot of horizon zero dawn today. It continues to not click for me at all but people tell me it gets really good just around the corner so I'm going on anyway.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I like The Elder Scrolls a lot but they seriously need to do a major overhaul of the combat so its more engaging than "point sword at monster". I'm not entirely sure how you do that in first person though.

In vermintide melee weapons can headshot and do differing amounts of stagger/damage to each target you hit in a swing, each swing has its own number of targets so there's a nice balance between high-CC/low-damage weapons like the sword & shield and high-damage/single-target weapons like the axe, staggering things is predictable, and charge attacks are fundamentally different than normal attacks. Or look at dark messiah for something built around a number of enemies closer to skyrim's.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I wonder how many Shepards were aborted in the womb immediately after the heroic face reveal in the opening moments of the game when the camera swivels around to show the hideous monster you spent the last 30 minutes creating.

The real problem was that the first game never let you preview the face from the actual diagonal angle you'd be seeing all the time in conversations, so you had no way to know you'd accidentally created this until you said "yeah that's good" and loaded into the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Every time I see someone try to show me something that's supposed to make MMOs look good, it always makes them look terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

homeless snail posted:

nah I realize its not a vid that's going to make that game look good, not trying to sell anyone on the game, just contrasting super simplistic destiny encounter design to ff14/wow

Well I can actually understand the shapes and colors on the screen in destiny so I think I prefer that

• Locked thread