Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
If this thread title was an acronym a la the NES it would be pronounced "sex"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm watching some videos of Destiny 1 and I'm getting the itch for D2. I think I can hold out until a sale though.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

haveblue posted:

D2 will have more categories of activity than D1 and the number floating around for total unique activities in the game is way higher than that leak.

I require more deets. I have enough Amazon points to buy it for nearly nothing but if it's like D1's launch then waiting for the expansion would be the way to go. I'm hoping that Bungie learned for their mistakes, but I know that's a little naive.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

#teamtatortotsfromsonics

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I did some clearing up of my backlog by beating Shadow Warrior and Transformers: Devastation this weekend. Both games had a save halfway through the second to last level, so I beat them both in maybe 4 hours. I had kept them downloaded for so long because I knew I was close to the end but it feels good to wrap them up. Shadow Warrior was pretty mediocre but I could really see the charm in Transformers. I think I had forgotten a lot of the abilities and once I beat the game I watched a combo video that was... impressive. Once was enough for me; too many other games to play.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdJefkTfPBU

Note that the eyebrows I used as his mustache teleport when he smiles.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Pub Cat

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

Our doc says they'll try to induce a regular birth if shes not out by the 17th and only do a c section if that process leads to issues.

I think the days of like just tossing c sections around when they arent needed are numbered or at least this doc sees it that way. Shes lined up the right way to come out so they're gonna see if she does on her own or if they gotta use a medicine or whatever ( i dont know how induction works we need to ask that at the checkup this week)

Sending positive vibes your way. Ours is due on the 18th and we're hoping he stays in there until at least that date. It's getting so close that I'm starting to worry about everything that can go wrong so I've been doing a lot of self distraction.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

18 more hours

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Life is Strange prequel has a really great D&D segment, like, one of the best ina game that otherwise has nothing to do with RPGs.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

Is it worth playing or no?

I like LiS but I kinda feel prequels are a bit lame especially when done by people who didn't do the original (eg. Arkham Origins).

Yeah, I think so. Knowing what happens in LiS makes a lot of the decisions bittersweet and the dialogue makes me want to throttle Chloe, but in that same way I feel like it rings true with a character who's going through a harder time in their life than most people will ever experience. With the supernatural element more or less stripped out the story feels more grounded.

One thing we noticed was that the decisions it tracks for you at the end of the episode had a choice was required you to make two decisions leading up to it, so the stat split was like 4%/96%. I don't think I've even seen one of these newer adventure game have nested decisions like that.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

"This is your Destiny, too."

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

While rolling around a "It's time to go to Balder's Gate" joke in my head I was struck with the simply pure idea of a Lost Vikings-style game called "You Must Gather Your Party Before Venturing Forth"

"Yes, Ky. I guess you could say I am guilty. A Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R."

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

After spending 5 hours with Destiny 2 last night I think it's pretty good. It certainly feels like there's more content than there was in early D1 and while the core game is still the same it's just a little improved around the edges. I'm on the third "planet" now and it just gave me a bunch of "adventures", which are like the patrol missions like the first game but more elaborate, almost like a strike. I guess I'll spend some time there knocking them out before heading for the next place and moving the story forward.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

literally everyone is saying this but it's been 2 days, review it again in like a month or two, that's the true test

Hey man, I dig. I think people who play a game at release and then burst into the room claiming it's GotY are nuts, I'm just giving some initial impressions. And not for nothing but it sounds like Bungie's learned a lot from the turgid launch of Destiny so they reworked the engine to allow quicker changes and hired two more studios to just work on mission content. But I know the true test of this kind of game is its longevity, so take everything I saw with a huge pinch of salt until November or so.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

In Training posted:

Love that the real money Destiny lootboxes drop one time use cosmetics that you can't get any other way

By "can't get any other way" you're ignoring the ones that drop with every full exp bar after 20? Or are they different Bright Engrams?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

it does and i always get it backwards, do you have any idea how many times i lost deadlocks in gundam musou because of that poo poo

QTEs should have the other nearby buttons greyed out or made translucent or something so the player gets another layer of information on where the button they should be pressing is. It should have the button's color, shape or letter, and position.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Here's a controller I'm not a fan of

Made reloading annoying as hell. It's a light gun but you had to pump it to reload and for a game where you're shooting a ton it's just a big pain.
I feel you. My preferred style of light gun is the one where it reloads once it's no longer pointing at the screen, so I could just keep my left hand close to the barrel and cover the sensor with a finger to reload without moving the gun.

To contribute:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On5oFUpywVM

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I spent all weekend playing Destiny 2 and I came back to 20 pages of posts in this thread.

I tried to read them, I really did.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I'm glad my employer considers unpaid leave to be the same as paternity leave. Super glad to make the choice between helping care for my child and paying my bills

:capitalism:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

If you had the chance to play one last game before you died, what would your last game be?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

LawfulWaffle posted:

If you had the chance to play one last game before you died, what would your last game be?

I think I'd pick something completely innocent and feel-good, like Kirby's Dreamland

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

True believers get to play a fully functional version of Star Citizen in the afterlife, but they can't take the backer-exclusive spaceships with them.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh right, I forgot to post these in here. I saw an ad on facebook for these uhh...things lol
The Hyrule shield and the key blade ones seem alright, but imagine trying to lock and unlock your front door with a gunblade key every day. The cherry on top is the dinky ring for your key ring to go through; fat rings won't fit and it looks likely to break off in the best conditions.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I just wanna chime in and say my wife successfully delivered a brand new gamer into the world. This gamer dad couldn't be more proud of his son Morph Ball. Can't wait for lil Morphy to be old enough to appreciate his dad's sick gaming skills.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Endorph posted:

why cant morph ball crawl

His cousin Spider Ball does all the crawling. Floors, walls, even ceilings. Morph Ball is a roller, like his brother Super Monkey before he fell in with the glider crowd.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

chumbler posted:

But the cruel irony is that doing so cuts into game time. Can you make that choice?
I'll go casual for the greater good. You'll find my corpse in the Top Free section of the App Store.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Chariot has you playing as a princess and her lower-born boyfriend as they try to find a resting place for her father that meets his ghost's increasing demands. It's a pretty cool game representation of a couple because they work together and high five a lot, preferably while riding the dad's coffin down a ramp at high speed.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I played Samus Returns on the GameBoy (like god intended) and I remember spending loving ages using the spider ball and bombing every available block to find out how to progress. I think I've only ever made it to the third "set" of Metroids but I never mapped my progress, the in game map was woefully insufficient or even non-existent (I can't remember), and I relied of the stylized map from the manual which wasn't a great help.

That's my Metroid 2 story.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Me: I think I'll play some Destiny 2.

Baby: You idiot. You colossal moron.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

Mine was just chillin btwn my arms while i played ys8. Maybe your baby is jack thompson reincarnated?

He did okay the second time while I had him cradled on my lap in a blanket. I keep thinking about that raid though and wondering what the hell I was thinking. I should have gotten something with a more single player focus (like ys)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

After playing a few hours years ago and bouncing off, something about NEO Scavenger brought me back to it over the weekend. I still had a few runs where I ended up freezing to death or dying from hunger, but I read some beginner guides and I am having way more fun with it. I had a nice run with a character that was aimless and ended with him winning a fight but unable to deal with the resulting internal bleeding and sepsis. Now I'm on a guy who I thought was definitely a goner out of the gate due to my inability to find even a plastic bag to carry stuff with, but then I wound up starting a legit mission and finding three important areas and one unsettling encounter. The major issues I have with it are that survival is pretty dependent on luck but that's easing off a bit with experience, and using the wiki is almost required. For example, I (the player) know that my character needs a foil suit to pass one challenge, but I had no way of knowing what I needed to make the suit. And now that I've looked it up, I passed by so many bags of potato chips that I don't know if it's worth my time to try and re-search old areas or press on into the unknown.

I downloaded the free demo for my phone so I could get my fix while at work, but it doesn't have all the items or areas the full version does so I was stuck scratching my head as to why I couldn't make a spear or a shiv. And I'll be damned if I'll pay $10 for an iOS version of a game I paid $3.50 for a version with hotkeys.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Frank West is a good character because he's mostly a serious type who's interested in saving lives and getting a story, and that naturally lends itself to having him take photos of people in dramatic situations i.e. a fun gameplay mechanic. But he's also a blank enough slate mixed with the wide palate of the Willamette Mall that he eventually becomes a sundress-wearing wrestler carrying eight gallons of orange juice and a broad sword. I love his hunched hustle, I love the way he protects his camera, and I love making routes that gather up a bunch of people and guiding them to safety like Moses if the Red Sea was made of zombies. DR1, DR2, and DR2:OTR are all really good games.

Any time you have to face a vehicle sucks though. The prisoners in the Humvee, the helicopter, everyone on a motorcycle.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Quest For Glory II posted:

someday I'll go through the free games on Steam and make a list, there's a lot now. here are some:

Heroine's Quest is really good if you like Quest For Glory or similar adventure games. There's so much game for $0 that I threw the developer some money via their donation link because I strongly felt that they had earned it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Pinball FX3 was just released and it lets you transfer over almost all the tables you already own, but your scores don't come with them. So now I need to sink a quick 100 hours playing every table and recording decent scores on the leaderboards so I can feel complete again. This is not helped by the new categories of single player - classic and single player - bells and whistles that includes selectable powerups that hinge off a light RPG mechanic. There's still no "random table" button which remains the one thing FarSight did with The Pinball Arcade that I wish was included in the PFX games.

I'm really interested in Heat Signature but I can wait for it to hit a little sale first. I feel like it's a game I'll play for a few hours and never again.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

You monster

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I stumbled onto the end of NEO Scavenger and it left me kind of disappointed. For such a large game with interesting survival and crafting mechanics, along with skills that can be used in various ways throughout the rest of the game, there is only one ending that isn't death and it can be achieved with a multi-tool, a couple of potato chip bags and a handful of string. Almost worse is the fact that there are a few ways of triggering the end but there's no difference aside from a few lines of text. There's an info dump where there's more information than is possible to ingest in one run followed by some narrative and a New Game option. It's definitely the type of game where I was expecting multiple endings based on whether my character decided to work for one group over another, kind of like Escape Velocity Nova, but as it is I'm drained of my enthusiasm to even get to the main commercial hub of the game because no matter what I do the ending will be the same as the one I fell rear end backwards into.

Just... so much detail put into every other aspect except for the plot's design. To the developer's credit, I found a Reddit post where he cops to knowing that it's a weakness and hopes to learn from it for his next game.

E: Like, if you're going to make the player choose between learning about their character or learning about their world, include a payoff from that choice.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

October Chat: Memory Card Is Not Formatted

• Locked thread