Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

vermin posted:

Can anybody sum up Destiny's story for me?

http://kotaku.com/a-beginner-s-guide-to-the-world-of-destiny-1800013915

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

exquisite tea posted:

When WoW came out there was literally no playbook for what raids should be like besides really big tough bad guys you beat with 40 people instead of 5. Our ideas that raids should be highly organized events with complex boss encounters comes entirely from WoW post-BWL and beyond.

Absolutely. As much as I love everquest (And still play it) all the raids were a completely different animal than anything in a modern mmo. But for that matter, so was vanilla wow.

It wasn't until late vanilla / BC where the boss mechanics started getting really interesting and moving beyond tank and spank for most things. They also got rid of threat mitigation as a mechanic somewhere around the end of BC / WOTLK and focused way more on active mechanics.

Unfortunately Destiny 1 came out in 2014, which is long long long after Blizzard already figured all this out the hard way. Destiny 1's bosses in Vanilla and even the first two expansions until Taken King were entirely huge health pool tank and spank fights with no strategy or mechanics whatsoever. Vault of glass actually had mechanics but it was literally the only thing and it took Bungie a long time to make just that one raid.

Luckily by the last expansion of D1 they'd realized how stupid that was having bosses like valus ta'aurec and instead started working on dungeon/strike bosses more like the raid bosses. Its possible they cherry picked the beta level because it was the best one they made, but hopefully that beta strike is indicative of the bar of quality for all of D2's strikes. It had actual jumping mechanics and a boss with phases and adds and poo poo. That was pretty dece.

corn in the bible posted:

when wow was new it had, what, one raid? but that was over a decade ago lol

It launched with... I wanna say two, but they were super loving rushed. Course Vanilla WoW was so slow to level compared to modern WoW, more like EQ, that it took people months to hit 60 and gave them time to work on more raids after MC.

They ended up having a poo poo ton of raids before the first expansion... although wow also only does expansions every couple years where destiny has no monthly fees so they do like 3 expansions a year instead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
God drat it they gave Chloe her own Warren

I never back up on choices in these games but I totally did when I realized the game thought I wanted to lead him on. NOPE

security guard guy is dreamy tho, but too old for her :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homeless snail posted:

they're gonna sell millions regardless of how bad they make the game so lmao

well yeah but if they do that then DESTINY 4 is no longer on the table. mass effect is a cautionary tale about what happens when you alienate your audience, and then follow it up with more garbage

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

It launched with... I wanna say two, but they were super loving rushed. Course Vanilla WoW was so slow to level compared to modern WoW, more like EQ, that it took people months to hit 60 and gave them time to work on more raids after MC.

They ended up having a poo poo ton of raids before the first expansion... although wow also only does expansions every couple years where destiny has no monthly fees so they do like 3 expansions a year instead.
Vanilla WoW launched with 2 40 man raids, Onyxia's Lair (a short cave with a like 3 trash mobs and a single boss fight) and Molten Core (a large cave system with too much trash and 10 bosses with 2 mechanics each if you were lucky, which was made over the course of a single week by like four guys). Also it had Upper/Lower Blackrock Spire which you could originally do in a raid group of any size, but that made it way too easy, leading to them patching the group size limit down a few times, so I'm not sure they count :v:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

well yeah but if they do that then DESTINY 4 is no longer on the table. mass effect is a cautionary tale about what happens when you alienate your audience, and then follow it up with more garbage

If people stuck with the garbage fire that was the first game to this point then they'll never stop buying this poo poo

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

God drat it they gave Chloe her own Warren

I never back up on choices in these games but I totally did when I realized the game thought I wanted to lead him on. NOPE

security guard guy is dreamy tho, but too old for her :(

Don't betray your future girlfriend max

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Finally installed Titanfall 2 to see the hype about the single player campaign.

Definitely pretty good, running and shooting was fun. The robot was boring and stupid slow in comparison to how they animated it in cutscenes.
Overall I forgot how nice it is to beat a game in a few hours and move on.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't know about the quality of the game, but Destiny 2 opens with a level where it's heavily raining and moves on to a level where it's snowing and I love me some weather effects.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nasgate posted:

Finally installed Titanfall 2 to see the hype about the single player campaign.

Definitely pretty good, running and shooting was fun. The robot was boring and stupid slow in comparison to how they animated it in cutscenes.
Overall I forgot how nice it is to beat a game in a few hours and move on.

I think it speaks to how good the pilot movement is that being in the big robot that also has dashes feels lame by comparison.

Also, personally I think the two weapon limit works for Titanfall 2 because it encourages you to keep moving such that you generally only hold onto a weapon long enough to empty the clip and then grab the next nearby gun. It doesn't work as well with slower paced games.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I don't know about the quality of the game, but Destiny 2 opens with a level where it's heavily raining and moves on to a level where it's snowing and I love me some weather effects.

Destiny 2 also runs really freaking well for how good it looks. https://www.techspot.com/review/1478-destiny-2-pc-benchmarks/

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

chumbler posted:

I think it speaks to how good the pilot movement is that being in the big robot that also has dashes feels lame by comparison.

Also, personally I think the two weapon limit works for Titanfall 2 because it encourages you to keep moving such that you generally only hold onto a weapon long enough to empty the clip and then grab the next nearby gun. It doesn't work as well with slower paced games.

For me it's mostly that the robot can even punch lightning fast but takes a million years to reload.

I can see your conclusion, but I also spent 90% of the game using the automatic shotgun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Propaganda Hour posted:

Destiny 2 also runs really freaking well for how good it looks. https://www.techspot.com/review/1478-destiny-2-pc-benchmarks/

Overwatch is amazing at 144Hz, I guess I am gonna try to get Destiny 2 up to that

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

idk if they changed the SP, but they recently patched the multiplayer to a 3 weapon system and tbh it sucks. I don't like it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

idk if they changed the SP, but they recently patched the multiplayer to a 3 weapon system and tbh it sucks. I don't like it

Who uses pistols though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think you can put an anti titan weapon in there too I forget

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In Training posted:

Who uses pistols though

Titanfall does have one of the better pistols in video game history

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I think you can put an anti titan weapon in there too I forget

Putting an anti-titan weapon in that slot just swaps it with the pistol. It's basically just whether you want your quick swap to go to anti titan or pistol. I like that it gives a reason to have pistols because otherwise they were totally pointless.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Titanfall does have one of the better pistols in video game history

The smart pistol is cool but it doesn't use a slot, it's like a super. Although I like the 3 slot change because it got me to use the revolver ocelot magnum that you can ricochet off walls

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the smart pistol was hilarious

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Getting the Smart Pistol in the TitFal 2 campaign kicked so much rear end.

Y'all really should play that campaign.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

homeless snail posted:

I don't think the change has had any impact on any match I've played, but I'm interested in why you don't like it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The Life is Strange prequel has a really great D&D segment, like, one of the best ina game that otherwise has nothing to do with RPGs.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

:thunk:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

:thunk:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't play Titanfall 1, but I found out recently about its rodeo mechanic and it sounds way cooler and better than what they did in 2 which is to make it usually a bad idea to try.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I don't think the change has had any impact on any match I've played, but I'm interested in why you don't like it.
mostly I think having a third slot opens up builds too much, the third gun can offset having two more situational weapons when with 2 slots you'd think about backing up your shotgun or whatever with something more general purpose. also I really don't like tap/hold weapon switch controls in console shooters

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Real hurthling! posted:

The yakuza zero story had me jumping around one minute and loving crying the next it so hype ive never been more invested in a game narrative ever aside from the original nier and also you can do disco dancing

yakuza 0 is the MGS3 of yakuza

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

homeless snail posted:

mostly I think having a third slot opens up builds too much, the third gun can offset having two more situational weapons when with 2 slots you'd think about backing up your shotgun or whatever with something more general purpose. also I really don't like tap/hold weapon switch controls in console shooters

Fair. It does seem like everyone always has access to a shotgun + main weapon if they take the mozambique. I probably wouldn't have bothered using the softball without a backup revolver as fun as it is.

And if Destiny hadn't wired my brain into accepting tap/hold swapping I probably would've bounced off it.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i have the song 'a long december' by counting crows stuck in my head which is weird because i dont remember anything until like 1999

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hmm I'm getting the feeling the dev might not like anime

Ostentatious posted:

i have the song 'a long december' by counting crows stuck in my head which is weird because i dont remember anything until like 1999

Well it was the january games chat thread title :v:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LawfulWaffle posted:

The Life is Strange prequel has a really great D&D segment, like, one of the best ina game that otherwise has nothing to do with RPGs.

Is it worth playing or no?

I like LiS but I kinda feel prequels are a bit lame especially when done by people who didn't do the original (eg. Arkham Origins).

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FirstAidKite posted:

Hmm I'm getting the feeling the dev might not like anime

I believe the Deathroad to Canada devs are goons. One of em is at least. They also did the excellent iOS games Punch Quest, Mage Gauntlet and Wayward Souls.

Have you met a very anime character yet? You'll know em when you come across em.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

I believe the Deathroad to Canada devs are goons. One of em is at least. They also did the excellent iOS games Punch Quest, Mage Gauntlet and Wayward Souls.

Have you met a very anime character yet? You'll know em when you come across em.

Also it is very important that you stay with your anime friend until the end, and do not desert them.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

FirstAidKite posted:

Hey now, at least this year so far HAS been better than the last.

Like, game-wise.

Worse in almost pretty much every other aspect aside from an individual person's personal victories and experiences.

Like if someone graduated from school this year, had a baby or got a new hair cut...

Game-wise though it's been pretty good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bringing a baby into this world should be a crime unto itself.

Fortunately you can always just adopt a cat.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

I know of her, yes, and I hope that if I ever come across her that I can manage to rescue her

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Is it worth playing or no?

I like LiS but I kinda feel prequels are a bit lame especially when done by people who didn't do the original (eg. Arkham Origins).

Yeah, I think so. Knowing what happens in LiS makes a lot of the decisions bittersweet and the dialogue makes me want to throttle Chloe, but in that same way I feel like it rings true with a character who's going through a harder time in their life than most people will ever experience. With the supernatural element more or less stripped out the story feels more grounded.

One thing we noticed was that the decisions it tracks for you at the end of the episode had a choice was required you to make two decisions leading up to it, so the stat split was like 4%/96%. I don't think I've even seen one of these newer adventure game have nested decisions like that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LawfulWaffle posted:

One thing we noticed was that the decisions it tracks for you at the end of the episode had a choice was required you to make two decisions leading up to it, so the stat split was like 4%/96%. I don't think I've even seen one of these newer adventure game have nested decisions like that.

Ah, the old don't kiss Chloe : kiss Chloe ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I really didn't like the story in Life is Strange. It's straight from the "tell the player to do something and then tell them what they just did was bad" school of game writing, and that poo poo is really obnoxious.

• Locked thread