Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
*tugs collar awkwardly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

corn in the bible posted:

so i'm playing mario 3d world and i don't think it's very good. cat mario is overpowered to the point where using him makes most platforming challenges piss easy, and yet you can't just not use cat suit because there's specific poo poo you need it for (raising platforms, etc). it's the same bad design choice from 3d land, where it was all raccoon all the time or you can't do some of the flag challenges. it's bad
3D World gets pretty dang hard towards the end, especially the bonus worlds. All the aids in the world (cat suits, Peach or especially Rosalina) will not avail you.

To me 3D World is weirdly underrated, I guess because of the Wii U factor? I'd easily consider it one of the best Mario titles ever made, up there with the Galaxies and World, but it's usually just a footnote in any conversation about the franchise. Beating Champion's Road is one of my most cherished gaming accomplishments.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 8, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I watched the recent GB stream of Ark and I'm sorry but loving what?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All I know about Cuphead is that while it looked amazing in action at PAX I feel compelled to dog on it because reddit has seemingly collectively decided any journalists who say "OK but this might be too hard to actually be considered a good video game" are terrible and should be stalked/doxed.

Risky Boots DLC was fun but somehow even shorter than the regular game, I guess because there are fewer collectibles. A good addition but I don't think it changes my overall assessment of the new Shantae being a visually stunning and competent platformer but otherwise sort of forgettable.

gently caress that LP guy, whose videos I've never seen.

Please continue to stay safe in the wake of these hurricanes and whatever other disasters may be heading your way.

Did I miss anything else? Because that was a whole lot of pages to leaf through.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've never played Dishonored 2 but I rather liked Daud and his DLC in the first one, I wonder how bad of an idea it would be to just skip straight to Death of the Outsider.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DLC Inc posted:

it probably doesn't spoil too much but you owe it to yourself to play Dishonored 2 because it owns. You don't play as Daud in DotO but instead you're his protege.

It's pretty remarkable how Dishonored got 2 base games, 2 excellent DLCs, and now a semi-expansion game. Regardless of sales Arkane has been free to do as they please and that's at least one good thing about being part of the Bethesda juggernaut. If only they did a better job advertising literally any of their games.
I will in all likelihood, it's just that the story "pitch" for D2 didn't immediately pique my interest in the same way DotD did.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would put AM2R and maybe Prime 1 also in that category as well, though I can understand the Prime format not appealing to some.

Like Fusion is alright but people should be far more critical of its narrative issues for the same reasons they (rightfully) are of Other M. It's not as egregious as the latter but it's still not great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I will say that the gravity boss in Fusion is super cool.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

precision posted:

I certainly wasn't expecting an anime VN to reference John Titor :stare:
It definitely really loves time travel references and conventions all around, from the obvious to the more obscure like Titor. If you're on board with stuff like that and the cast in general even though they're just kind of goofing around the start, you're going to be in for a treat once the poo poo hits the fan.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

glam rock hamhock posted:

Steins;gate is so good. The time travel stuff is probably better thought out than similar any other time travel thing I've seen, the characters are mostly really good and it's animeness is actually part of the plot. I don't think I'll ever play a better VN.
I love S;G a lot but Fata Morgana is IMO the best VN I've read and is also availabe on Steam. It couldn't more different in genre or style than S;G but I strongly recommend it!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

precision posted:

what are some other VNs that are as good as Steins;Gate? by that i mean like, really decent art and actually interesting story. aside from Phoenix Wright and such the only one i can recall playing and liking was Ever17
Defintiely Fata Morgana. Higurashi and Umineko are also favorites of mine but they don't really have decent art unless you track down PS3 sprite patches for them (not that hard) and Higurashi has some serious pacing/tone problems in its first couple of chapters.

Saint Freak posted:

Sometimes I think about Hotel Dusk and remember that it apparently had a sequel that didn't have any of the words from the original in its title and also didn't come to North America and I should really track that down but then I immediately forget about it.
Last Window. It's pretty good! At the very least a much better sequel than that Wii Trace Memory game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I honestly wasn't really ready for Ys VIII to come out, given that I still have so much of BotW to go through. It's starting to look more and more like I won't be able to get to Persona 5 until 2018 and Tales of Berseria (which I already own!!) until how many months after that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also the new Metroid lol, now that reviews are coming out and it's looking quite good. Too many video games.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man I own SMTIVA and I am, like, never going to get around to playing it. Please spare me SMTV for least a couple of years.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

FirstAidKite posted:

Remember in persona 2 when you could be gay and it was just a real casual like "yeah I'm gay"
I really wish more people would play Persona 2. The gameplay is fine you wusses!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've worked through my backlog over the years by: a). Generally, never ever playing games in the years they come out, with some obvious exceptions here and there. Let's me focus on the backlog and hopefully get them cheaper when they go on sale. b). Trying to always balance two games at once, so that I can alternate between them without getting burnt out. c). It sounds simple and a bit :rolleyes: but honestly just sucking it up and making a concentrated effort to not start something else up.

It does mean that more often than not I am never playing the hip hot new release of the day but it's served me well over the years.

E: When it comes to whether to drop a title or not, usually I've been selective enough about what I put into my backlog that it doesn't come to that, though it does happen. I put in dozens of hours into Wasteland 2 before realizing that I wasn't having fun, as it was never the type of game I'd normally play/buy in the first place, and dropped Trine 2 hilariously fast once it became clear that to get the most amount of fun out of it I really should have some pals playing as the other characters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm continuing to be distracted from Metroid because Ys 8 owns so much.
My current plan of attack is, alternate between Breath of the Wild and Metroid, and when one of those is finished switching to Ys 8. By that time Mario Odyssey will probably be out, so I'll go to that and I think Sonic Mania. With any luck after all of those I'll be able to start P5 before the end of the year, and Tales of Berseria shortly after that.

It's unfortunately looking like Mario & Rabbids is the casualty in all of this.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did they ever fix the text/font or whatever in FF9 on Steam? I remember people complaining about it a lot when it first came out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you want VN murder mysteries play Ace Attorney or Umineko; DR is super shallow by comparison even before you get into the inanity of the second game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

precision posted:

picked up Ys Origin instead of paganrandno 3

doubt i'll regret this
You won't, it's super good! I recommend playing as Yunica and the third character, feel free to skip Hugo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really like Mulbruk's new look in La-Mulana 2:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mr E posted:

Is that ever coming out?
I mean it's getting regular updates, and I played it at PAX and it seemed fine enough. "December 2015" as the original pitched release date is pretty lol but that's pretty much every videogame kickstarter ever in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
GB is fine. One lost week doesn't mean they are abandoning their other great features. If they fail the raid on Monday I can't imagine they'll devote more time on it further, and then everyone moves on. All of the East Coast content has been stellar otherwise and I think West is finally trending in a better direction with Ben.

CJacobs posted:

Drew leaving and Dan moving at around the same time was the point where I tapped out. I'm sorry Jeff and Ben but you cannot carry the main group on your own. Drew's new thing fuckin rules though
Eh, Drew's thing has honestly been kind of disappointing. His patreon pitch was that it was going to be a traveling the world "through the lens of video games" but what he's functionally put out in the, what, 7 months he's been doing it has been a single short Chernobyl video with the flimsiest of references to video games. He's basically been paid to go on vacations. Which fine, a general series of travelogue videos by Drew Scanlon would probably still be rather interesting, but the amount of money he's been drawing and the actual output of his content has barely matched up. At least prior to his first video he had been hemorrhaging patrons and $ at a pretty consistent basis, so I do hope he's able to put it all together and find a consistent rhythm because I do think the world is a better place with Drew Scanlon producing video content of some kind. But it's been kind of a bummer.

• Locked thread