Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I'm reading an old issue of Miles Morales Spider-Man and all I can think now is why doesn't one of the richer superheroes open a charter school specifically made to help the teen superheroes balance their school and superhero life?

They get leeway on assignment if they were busy fighting crime, they can leave mid class to do superhero stuff, excetera. It'd be easy to hide as a school for gifted people and there are enough super intelligent superheroes to basically be the teacher on their off time while still maintaining good enough standings for the degree from there to matter.

Also, it can be a pretty bitchin comic. I mean, the X-Men are pretty loving successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zoro posted:

I'm reading an old issue of Miles Morales Spider-Man and all I can think now is why doesn't one of the richer superheroes open a charter school specifically made to help the teen superheroes balance their school and superhero life?

They get leeway on assignment if they were busy fighting crime, they can leave mid class to do superhero stuff, excetera. It'd be easy to hide as a school for gifted people and there are enough super intelligent superheroes to basically be the teacher on their off time while still maintaining good enough standings for the degree from there to matter.

Also, it can be a pretty bitchin comic. I mean, the X-Men are pretty loving successful.

The school would just get attacked every 3 issues.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

The school would just get attacked every 3 issues.

Works for X-men.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zoro posted:

Works for X-men.

Yeah only most of them died so far.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah only most of them died so far.

Nah, they all got individual series: they won't die as quickly or as easily as X-men because then *poof* no more of that series.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I did really like Wolverine and the X-Men, even not knowing much of the X-continuity stuff that was going on.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zoro posted:

I didn't read it but isn't that basically Avengers Academy?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Samuringa posted:

I didn't read it but isn't that basically Avengers Academy?

Never heard of it. Looking into it, it seems like it was using new Heroes, but sounds pretty similar to what I was talking about.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Was reading about the Question for some reason on wikipedia, and read this:

"In The Question #17, Vic picks up a copy of Watchmen to read on a trip and initially sees Rorschach as being quite cool. But after Vic is beaten up trying to emulate Rorschach's brutal style of justice, he concludes that "Rorschach sucks"."

Seemed relevant to expy discussion!

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Comoxology is having a buy-one, get-one free deal with promo code MARVEL17 on all Marvel books. You can literally buy double the number comic this week and pay half the price. I already took advantage to buy a ludricous amount of books for 1/2 cost. If nothing else, you only have to spend half the amount of money on your monthly Comics this month. This lasts till September 7th.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zoro posted:

Comoxology is having a buy-one, get-one free deal with promo code MARVEL17 on all Marvel books. You can literally buy double the number comic this week and pay half the price. I already took advantage to buy a ludricous amount of books for 1/2 cost. If nothing else, you only have to spend half the amount of money on your monthly Comics this month. This lasts till September 7th.

What made everyone take the plunge to digital comics? Is there a "comics lover" tablet that makes comics super easy to read, without needing to zoom in or scroll around, that doesn't go panel by panel but gives you the entire page, that I've been missing out on? Or are people just reading on their computer? Or is having to scroll around or zoom or go panel to panel just not as distracting to others as it is to me?

I just find it really hard to bite the bullet on digital comics--I could see the usefulness of stuff like Marvel Unlimited, to binge on out of print or expensive reprint stuff, or just to decide on a given series that seems interesting, without making a large commitment either in money or shelf space, but buying individual issues or even trades doesn't seem appealing to me. But it'd be great to take advantage of sales and read interesting stuff instantly, so maybe I'm missing something fundamental about the experience.

I'd be curious how many people are all digital, no digital or both, and how it breaks down by age. I'm in my early 30s, for what it's worth, and I am basically no digital at all.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've somehow avoided TV Tropes in my entire 21 years on the Internet, so I'm gonna keep calling those characters analogues, like the Watchmen characters to the Charlton heroes, Supreme, the Extremists, most characters from Planetary, etc. I just don't care for the term "expy."

Alan Moore's Supreme was pretty terrific, by the way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

What made everyone take the plunge to digital comics? Is there a "comics lover" tablet that makes comics super easy to read, without needing to zoom in or scroll around, that doesn't go panel by panel but gives you the entire page, that I've been missing out on? Or are people just reading on their computer? Or is having to scroll around or zoom or go panel to panel just not as distracting to others as it is to me?

I just find it really hard to bite the bullet on digital comics--I could see the usefulness of stuff like Marvel Unlimited, to binge on out of print or expensive reprint stuff, or just to decide on a given series that seems interesting, without making a large commitment either in money or shelf space, but buying individual issues or even trades doesn't seem appealing to me. But it'd be great to take advantage of sales and read interesting stuff instantly, so maybe I'm missing something fundamental about the experience.

I'd be curious how many people are all digital, no digital or both, and how it breaks down by age. I'm in my early 30s, for what it's worth, and I am basically no digital at all.

Any tablet as big as the original iPad is big enough you don't need to zoom for single page spreads unless the letterer wrote really small. And then beyond Marvel Unlimited, there's a poo poo ton of sales that make it way cheaper if you're on a budget. If you wait for sales you can get massive runs of comics for less than a buck an issue.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

I bought a 200$ acer 10" android tablet a couple years ago and that basically sold me. I hate hate hate guided view. For me that was the size that made it worth it. You basically just read the comic and either tilt the screen or zoom in for double page spreads. I just picked up a 12.9 iPad Pro and dear god it's awesome for comics reading. It's a big chunk of change to spend for an ereader.

My real number one reason for digital is reading in bed. Reading floppies in bed loving sucks.

I buy bundles or use marvel unlimited. The value for digital goods seems way too low for the cost even with sales and I still really like print media. So my new comics are generally floppies or trades.

I'm also in my thirties, though probably can't say early anymore.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm debating taking the plunge on digital for Judge Dredd volumes. poo poo takes up a LOT of space.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

A Strange Aeon posted:

What made everyone take the plunge to digital comics?

I only have so much of my house I can cede to the comics before they legally own it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

A Strange Aeon posted:

They're a lot cheaper.

ebooks and tablets are complete poo poo compared to actual paper but even after currency conversion a normal trade is half the price on Comixology that it is in a store here. I wouldn't have read Hickman's Marvel run if I had to pay book prices for it, for example.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Also, you can use your webbrower. My computer got a TV screen so it works fine for me, especially with Guided View.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

A Strange Aeon posted:

Mostly space. I'd love a whole bookshelf of just trades of Hellboy, but that's just not feasible for me.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm debating taking the plunge on digital for Judge Dredd volumes. poo poo takes up a LOT of space.

Tell me about it...

I do have 9, my wife was reading it at the time.

It sounds like it's a cost and space thing, and no one really feels that digital comics are equal to the experience of reading an actual paper product, which is where I'm at.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I have a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 and it's superb for reading comics.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Once I got an iPad and realized that it took up exactly as much space if it had 1 or 10,000 books on it, I was sold. Now all I have is one magic book that glows in the dark and is every book ever and I don't have to slowly fill my house with longboxes and overflowing bookshelves, it's so much better and I'm never going back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Once I got an iPad and realized that it took up exactly as much space if it had 1 or 10,000 books on it, I was sold. Now all I have is one magic book that glows in the dark and is every book ever and I don't have to slowly fill my house with longboxes and overflowing bookshelves, it's so much better and I'm never going back.

You sir are a villain and a traitor.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My wife has an older iPad mini and I bought a Kindle Fire for $50 on Prime Day this year, and the idea of reading comics on either of those seems really miserable. But I suppose if I had a much larger size tablet, it could be worthwhile. Still not sure I'd pay for digital comics other than a streaming service, though. I like my overflowing bookshelves! And lending people comics is fun, too. And I like browsing the used sections at comic book shops and Half-Price Books--the idea of not knowing what I'm going to find adds something to the commercial transaction somehow.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

My wife has an older iPad mini and I bought a Kindle Fire for $50 on Prime Day this year, and the idea of reading comics on either of those seems really miserable. But I suppose if I had a much larger size tablet, it could be worthwhile. Still not sure I'd pay for digital comics other than a streaming service, though. I like my overflowing bookshelves! And lending people comics is fun, too. And I like browsing the used sections at comic book shops and Half-Price Books--the idea of not knowing what I'm going to find adds something to the commercial transaction somehow.

Yeah, you need a ten inch tablet at least.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I have a Nexus 10 and I buy new title on comixology. I buy existing title as floppies. I like digital as it takes up far less space and the 10 is a perfect size for reading.
As for saving money, take out trades from your local library. You will save both money and space that way.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I've got the HP Slate 17 and it's just about 2 inches too big. I think a 15 inch tablet would be perfect. I can't even imagine reading on a 10 incher.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Digital got me into comics because I'm not really into storing entire shelves of books and it's easy to "transport" and read in bed. There's a few runs I'm a big fan of that I'd like to collect physical some day, otherwise :shrug:. I do all my reading on my (admittedly large) phone.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'd be curious how many people are all digital, no digital or both, and how it breaks down by age. I'm in my early 30s, for what it's worth, and I aml basically no digital at all.

Its stupid cheap, you can can get huge volumes for literal pennies on the dollar if you wait for sales. You don't need to have space for these issues cuz you can download and redl them at your convenience

Literally any 8"+ tablet can show a full size page, although as a 10" tablet owner i would recommended at least 10" to read full page even with tiny font

Tbh the only reason to read physical comics now is to keep your fav lcs from collapsing cuz digital is absolutely the future

site fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 3, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also, and I'm not going to go into any details, but it's easy as hell to pirate a poo poo ton of comics. Every once in awhile someone pokes their head into the forum saying something like "I'm going to read all of Batman, from the beginning" or "I'm slowly working through every Marvel Comic starting in 1961," and it's pretty obvious they just downloaded some 10 gig mega pack

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Also, and I'm not going to go into any details, but it's easy as hell to pirate a poo poo ton of comics. Every once in awhile someone pokes their head into the forum saying something like "I'm going to read all of Batman, from the beginning" or "I'm slowly working through every Marvel Comic starting in 1961," and it's pretty obvious they just downloaded some 10 gig mega pack

A former forums superstar was a major supplier of pirated comics. I believe he got busted for running a torrent tracker off his workplace servers or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

A former forums superstar was a major supplier of pirated comics. I believe he got busted for running a torrent tracker off his workplace servers or something.

I get the person who wants to read every Batman comic in chronological order, I don't understand the person who reads every Marvel comic in chronological order; even if the first 20 years of Marvel probably has more good comics than the first 20 years of Batman.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

You sir are a villain and a traitor.
I'm sorry you make your living selling an obsolete product that the comics industry should really cut ties with for their own health, because it's an anchor that still threatens to drag them down when it, inevitably, sinks :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

I'm sorry you make your living selling an obsolete product that the comics industry should really cut ties with for their own health, because it's an anchor that still threatens to drag them down when it, inevitably, sinks :(

I don't even care about that! Think of all those poor issues of the Triangle Numbered Superman comics you're neglecting!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

site posted:

Its stupid cheap, you can can get huge volumes for literal pennies on the dollar if you wait for sales. You don't need need to have space for these issues cuz you can download and redl them at your convenience

Literally any 8"+ tablet can show a full size page, although as a 10" tablet owner i would recommended at least 10" to read full page even with tiny font

Tbh the only reason to read physical comics now is to not keep your fav lcs from collapsing cuz digital is absolutely the future

I don't know, maybe future future, but not the near future, at least in my opinion. Having never really gotten into floppies, because they seem pretty inconvenient to read and I don't have an established Wednesday ritual where I'd get the next piece of the dozen different serials I'm following, at least for trades, I think the physical product doesn't take up much more space than a regular book and doesn't have to be stored differently. Obviously, people into manga who want all 287 volumes of One Piece or whatever probably have a challenge on their hands. I also think giving someone a book as a real gift is nice--not that wrapping is particularly important, but giving someone a digital book doesn't seem to be the same thing to me.

I don't know, thinking it out, having a record collection or dvd collection or book collection is in some way a statement about what your tastes are--if you just stream everything or own it all digitally, how do you surround yourself where you live with the things that give your life richness? Or is that a bygone concept, as our living spaces get smaller and less affordable and having a library of actual things drifts into the realm of only the very wealthy? I can imagine apartments in ~30 years all being identical, because the media that would describe the person who lives there is all stored behind a tablet's black screen.

That drifted off somewhere, sorry--few people gave their ages, which is fine, but I would guess the all digital folks skew younger, which would make sense. It sounds like for me to really see how good it can be, I need a bigger tablet than my Kindle--it's fine for regular ebooks, but I suspect I'd only be able to do guided view for comics. And I don't think there's a Marvel Unlimited app for it...would have to sideload it or something.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

A Strange Aeon posted:

That drifted off somewhere, sorry--few people gave their ages,

I'm 23.

Anyway, is Goku an expy of Superman? They both come from an alien homeworld that blew up, both are some of the last of their race, both are bulletproof and have super strength and the such, and etc. Now, personality-wise, they're night and day. Superman is this moral boyscout who stands up for what's right and has a genius level intellect whereas Goku is literally illiterate and, while he doesn't like seeing people get hurt, is so addicted to battle that he will let a bad guy get away or get stronger just for the thrill.

I'm just trying to gauge here how broad the definition of "Expy" is.

Also, if you think "Goku and Superman's backstory are only superficially alike", that's only true for the animated explanation. The comic depiction is a lot more one-for one:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Goku is more or less explicitly "What if Superman was in Journey To the West?", at least originally.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
If by originally you mean halfway into the run of the book, I guess?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

Goku is more or less explicitly "What if Superman was in Journey To the West?", at least originally.

I don't know about that. I mean, Son Wukong had superpowers in the original myth. The superman comparisons didn't come in for over 5 or so years into the comics run when the scifi things were introduced. Even then, that origin story didn't drop until the 25th anniversary. So I don't know if I'd say it started out that way. More like, when he started to get scifi, more and more superman elements waddled in somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

A Strange Aeon posted:

I don't know, maybe future future, but not the near future, at least in my opinion. Having never really gotten into floppies, because they seem pretty inconvenient to read and I don't have an established Wednesday ritual where I'd get the next piece of the dozen different serials I'm following, at least for trades, I think the physical product doesn't take up much more space than a regular book and doesn't have to be stored differently. Obviously, people into manga who want all 287 volumes of One Piece or whatever probably have a challenge on their hands. I also think giving someone a book as a real gift is nice--not that wrapping is particularly important, but giving someone a digital book doesn't seem to be the same thing to me.

I don't know, thinking it out, having a record collection or dvd collection or book collection is in some way a statement about what your tastes are--if you just stream everything or own it all digitally, how do you surround yourself where you live with the things that give your life richness? Or is that a bygone concept, as our living spaces get smaller and less affordable and having a library of actual things drifts into the realm of only the very wealthy? I can imagine apartments in ~30 years all being identical, because the media that would describe the person who lives there is all stored behind a tablet's black screen.

That drifted off somewhere, sorry--few people gave their ages, which is fine, but I would guess the all digital folks skew younger, which would make sense. It sounds like for me to really see how good it can be, I need a bigger tablet than my Kindle--it's fine for regular ebooks, but I suspect I'd only be able to do guided view for comics. And I don't think there's a Marvel Unlimited app for it...would have to sideload it or something.

Well I'm 31 and absolutely do not have the space for bookshelves and long boxes full of floppies.

Like buying A Book for someone as a gift is a whole different ball game than buying and storing hundreds or thousands of comic books

And yes tbh I do believe there's a certain amount of economic privilege in the question of why don't you just have five bookshelves full of all the comics you've bought at full price.

• Locked thread