Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuringa posted:

What about the entire Justice League Great Society?

(New Avengers #26)

And for people who still don't get the reference, 42+9+1=52.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Huh? Instead of saying 52, they put 42 million etc? Why?

Related to "expys" (is there a more commonly used word for this? Pastiches, maybe?), I notice no one has brought up The Boys, a potential bonanza of them.

Jonathan Hickman was being coy it was one of dozens of worlds Reed Richards looked at and every other parallel universe had a Reed Richards analog starting that speech with "Everything Dies." Calm down a bit. Expy is annoying word that I also only heard for the first time today but get over it, it describes something everyone recognizes as existing even if we can't always agree on the exact parameters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

What made everyone take the plunge to digital comics? Is there a "comics lover" tablet that makes comics super easy to read, without needing to zoom in or scroll around, that doesn't go panel by panel but gives you the entire page, that I've been missing out on? Or are people just reading on their computer? Or is having to scroll around or zoom or go panel to panel just not as distracting to others as it is to me?

I just find it really hard to bite the bullet on digital comics--I could see the usefulness of stuff like Marvel Unlimited, to binge on out of print or expensive reprint stuff, or just to decide on a given series that seems interesting, without making a large commitment either in money or shelf space, but buying individual issues or even trades doesn't seem appealing to me. But it'd be great to take advantage of sales and read interesting stuff instantly, so maybe I'm missing something fundamental about the experience.

I'd be curious how many people are all digital, no digital or both, and how it breaks down by age. I'm in my early 30s, for what it's worth, and I am basically no digital at all.

Any tablet as big as the original iPad is big enough you don't need to zoom for single page spreads unless the letterer wrote really small. And then beyond Marvel Unlimited, there's a poo poo ton of sales that make it way cheaper if you're on a budget. If you wait for sales you can get massive runs of comics for less than a buck an issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

My wife has an older iPad mini and I bought a Kindle Fire for $50 on Prime Day this year, and the idea of reading comics on either of those seems really miserable. But I suppose if I had a much larger size tablet, it could be worthwhile. Still not sure I'd pay for digital comics other than a streaming service, though. I like my overflowing bookshelves! And lending people comics is fun, too. And I like browsing the used sections at comic book shops and Half-Price Books--the idea of not knowing what I'm going to find adds something to the commercial transaction somehow.

Yeah, you need a ten inch tablet at least.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also, and I'm not going to go into any details, but it's easy as hell to pirate a poo poo ton of comics. Every once in awhile someone pokes their head into the forum saying something like "I'm going to read all of Batman, from the beginning" or "I'm slowly working through every Marvel Comic starting in 1961," and it's pretty obvious they just downloaded some 10 gig mega pack

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

A former forums superstar was a major supplier of pirated comics. I believe he got busted for running a torrent tracker off his workplace servers or something.

I get the person who wants to read every Batman comic in chronological order, I don't understand the person who reads every Marvel comic in chronological order; even if the first 20 years of Marvel probably has more good comics than the first 20 years of Batman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

There's a lot of good comics in early Marvel, and you only know that if you read them. Reading them in context also casts them in a different light.

I mean, I could be reading secret empire instead.

The guy I'm thinking of was specifically reading them in published order, which was the weird part to me (and something not easily done without downloading a megapack that has them ordered that way, if you tried to do that on the Marvel Unlimited you'd spend more time switching between series than you would reading anything).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ferrule posted:

Your digital copy of New Mutants #98 is worth $3. Same for your digital copy of Amazing Fantasy #15.

Actually it's worth nothing at all, because you have no way to resell it. But people who are buying floppies because they think they're going to buy the next Amazing Fantasy #15 are going to lose a lot of money on a lot of junk.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zoro posted:

No modern Comics are going to be collectible in that sense. They are mass-produced and too many people are taking care of them. If those factors are present, then a comic's value will never go up, only down.

I bet there's a decent number of #1s coming out of Image that will be worth a decent chunk of change eventually, obviously not as much as Amazing Fantasy #15, but something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Fox, Sony and Disney would need to come together for a Gwenpool flick and that poo poo ain't hapening.

What's Sony have to do with it? Do they own Howard the Duck and she technically first showed up in that comic?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

She's based on Gwen Stacy, no matter how much back-peddling Marvel has done on it. She debuted on a Gwen Stacy cover month variant.

Oh yeah, I somehow dropped that from my head, but Disney and Sony are working together now and Fox seems to at least get along with Marvel on Television. I don't think it's impossible. I also don't think it'd be a good idea, Gwenpool is clearly a cartoon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I recently cancelled Marvel Unlimited and Gwenpool is one of the books I missed, has she even met Deadpool?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Yes. And she didn't know how to effectively deal with him because she doesn't like him as a character and didn't read his book

That is loving perfect. Although when she first arrived in the 616, she probably should have known enough about him through osmosis from reading other books.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Stronger anti-discrimination protections than we currently have, at least in regards to labor, including protection for whistleblowers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do action movie trailers have cold opens now? Like, they'll do a condensed version of the trailer then run the trailer itself which has the same footage? I was watching the trailer for The Foreigner and it had one of them.

It started so you won't hit the skip button after 15 seconds when it plays as an ad on youtube, I think it's still mostly limited to online versions of the trailer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it just becomes the style and trailers start to look like that in theaters too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zoro posted:

I was looking for something on the Internet relating to Bendis and I stumbled across the reality that there seems to be many right wing blogs devoted to shiting on Marvel and sucking off DC.

I'm not trying to poo poo on DC or inflate Marvel, but there was a lot of these blogs that were just doing that. They tried to hide it through fancy terms, but it's pretty obvious that the entire Point these blogs was to poo poo on Marvel for having non-white, non-het characters. Like, they constantly complained about how they get called racist, but their main argument against most comics was that they promote civil rights. I mean, they used a different term for it, but that's what that term means.

They seem to just loving applaud that secret Empire has damaged Marvel sales but claimed it has more to do with diversity and non-whites, non-het characters.

At the same time, they seem to just love DC and applaud DC over and over. However, this might be short-lived because DC's doing a roll out of new Heroes they're calling the new age of Heroes and they seem very mad about it.

Those Heroes mostly feature minority characters so yeah. Further proof their claims of why they love DC's so much doesn't have so much to do with their quality since they seem mad and saying this might be the end of DC and another new 52 when they suddenly want to do minority characters.

It goes even further. They encourage their fans to attack writers on Twitter and make YouTube videos about how those writers are terrible people. They just seem to want to make the lives of comic artists and creators terrible until they relent and destroy characters because they don't like the fact that non-white people and not-het people are now allowed to be superheroes.

Frankly, this is hosed up.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not saying that DC is bad and that Marvel's great. But, it seems these guys really want create this narrative that Marvel is failing due to diversity and that DC's amazing because it did not doing that.

Looking back on it, I think I now know where that weirdo I once talked to in a gameshop got all those talking points now. Because he loved those talking points, but, when I pointed out that they made no sense when you consider how Comics have always worked, he had no idea and had no idea how to follow up.

Like, he really did not know that Heroes stepping down so someone else can take the title is something that's been happening since the twenties and predates Superman. But, he sure love to get mad about the new characters and claimed they were a new phenomenon with no prior basis and were terrible and bad.

Edit Edit: also, I'm not saying all the new characters are great and that we should all like them or else. But, it certainly seems that this group has a particular agenda about them and really wants to act as if making new characters is some kind of new phenomenon and affront to the older characters.

I mean, gently caress, I was reading old comics recently and, in the last page, they advertise like a thousand superheroes who didn't take off like Spider-Girl (not mc-2). It amazes me that people seem to be bringing politics into it when throwing a bunch of characters at the wall and seeing what sticks is what Comics have always done.
It's a fairly common thing among sexists and white supremacists trying to rewrite history to fit their narrative and since they don't have any actual facts they mostly just back-up their stories with a torrent of abuse. They're also extremely upset that minorities are even given a voice at all, like there was that female editor who got covered in poo poo because she posted a picture of herself and other women involved in comics having milkshakes together, or all the troglodytes that were pissed off because Alamo was having special "Women only" screenings of Wonder Woman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

I got a bunch of free Marvel digital trades from buying print books on Amazon or something, and I picked up the first volume of Ennis's Punisher.

I just finished the first 4 Vietnam issues and Jesus Christ--is his entire run this good?

More or less. There's parts that aren't as good as other parts, but it's pretty solid all the way through.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Skip volumes 2, kitchen Irish, and volume 8, widowmaker. Pick up the tbp From First to Last or alternatively find the one shots, The Tyger and The Cell

Nah, those are good too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

They

Are not

I at least appreciate Kitchen Irish because it's a Punisher story where everything would be the same if Punisher never showed up

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Eventually all of the Spider-Man villains will have quirky teen girl anti-hero versions of themselves.

Are there any of those? Gwenpool doesn't count because Deadpool has never really been a Spider-Man villain.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zoro posted:

That's apparently gonna change soon since they plan for Deadpool to do a heel turn and it's going to turn their team-up series to Deadpool vs Spider-man, unless that was a rumor.

That's not related to what I said at all, kinda interesting though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/BrianSchirmer/status/906631245815095296

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

For some reason that Superman thing reminded me of when comics showed up in pop culture, before they actually WERE pop culture. I mean comics always were popular culture, but not like today with all the Marvel movies and TV shows. Like, there was a Rancid song I loved listening to growing up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP_nc8bS76I

"Wolverine was sad and it made him mad / every single cop got a bullet in the head"

A bit off-model, but still interesting as a kid into punk and comics to see a crossover like that.

Comics have been pretty deeply ingrained into pop culture, in certain ways more intrinsically than they are now. Adventures in Babysitting and The Ice Storm use Thor and The Fantastic Four as tools to either advance the plot or add emotional depth to a character for instance. Pink Floyd made some references to Dr. Strange in the late 60's, a bunch of different rappers have references to comic books in their music, The Ramones covered the theme to Spider-Man.

And of course the biggie That time Superman defeated the KKK

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I can't lie, if Jack Kirby started a religion I'd become that version of a Jehovah's Witness.

If he started a fringe political party I'd definitely join.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/juanitamcritch/status/909035247941152774

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is the very early Wonder Woman stuff strange enough to be interesting? Or is it mostly just checking out the weird and funny panels and skipping getting an omnibus of it?

I haven't read much of it, but what i've read is pretty good, it's at least on par with contemporaneous Batman and Superman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Else Bloodstone is still in continuity so by associative properties so is the Hyborian Age, even if Conan isn't.

Have Elsa and Monica Rambeau met since N.E.X.T.WAVE was made canon?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Like, did Marvel/Lucas ever sue the Bucky O'Hare guys? Because that seems like a pretty blatant rip-off.

Ehh, that character is seems like it's basically Bugs Bunny in a space suit (which probably already exists) so lawsuits would get complicated real fast.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think it is important for comics creators to stand up to this, especially the older more established ones. If I was being harassed for being an "SJW destroying comics," knowing people like Mark Waid, people who I grew up reading and might be part of the reason I became a comics writer or artist in the first place, had my back, would go a long way in helping me deal with the abuse.

Also, it will be pretty funny if the result of this is getting that fucker banned from all comic cons that Mark Waid attends, because I'm betting that's what his post is about and I fully believe that Mark Waid has enough pull to get him thrown out of any con he's doing a panel at.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

You don't need a booty to shoot arrows!

Says you
http://thehawkeyeinitiative.com/
Mildly :nws:

Edit: Hey Rhino, did your place ever sell that Power Man #1?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/comiXology/status/911579799474327553

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I know. I mean that the One More Day stuff seemed to have to do more with undoing his teaching career than the unmasking did.

With that said though, was he a teacher AND Tony's assistant at the same time? I feel like that might be true? I know there was a post-unmasking Doctor Octopus story that involved him making his way to Peter's school.

He was also still occasionally a freelance photographer for The Daily Bugle. He was basically a Rihanna song.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

"Call a spade a spade" didn't have a racist origin, for what it's worth.

I always preferred the phrase "sometimes you have to call a spade a loving shovel."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

By being WickedHate.

Even that took way longer than it should have.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/913764928078667777

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zoro posted:

Anyone here read Atomic Robo?

I read the first few trades, it's a lot of fun. I think one of the creators was/is a goon and would post about it occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Nobody's going to vote for that criminal.

I'll vote for anyone endorsed by Snoop Dogg.

• Locked thread