Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My favorites are every single one of DCs attempts to make a Spider-Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TV Tropes is transparently desperate to fit every single piece of popular culture detritus into as many of their categories as possible, nobody should take them seriously, ever

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Guy Goodbody posted:

I dunno if it really counts as modern Mythology. Barry Allen only showed up in the comics like, less than a decade ago. It was Wally West before that. That's why the Justice League cartoon had Wally West and no mention of Barry Allen

I wanna give this post a medal

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I can't believe they haven't moved on to Steven Universe like the rest of the Adventure Time fandom

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Roth posted:

Mature adults don't watch anime

Or read comic books

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TenCentFang posted:

I like the implication he used to read them, and apparently approved of them. I'm picturing him thumbing through Chuck Austin's X-Men or the Clone Saga. Also, "Cap is HYDRA now" is, by itself, not really the problem with Secret Empire and as much as I think Spencer is kind of a dickhead, I'm still miffed with people who was accusing Marvel of anti-semitism as soon as the first issue with the twist came out. (Kirby, who is Jewish, did an arc where Cap was brainwashed into being a literal Nazi, so, ya know...)

This is basically the same argument that white people use as an excuse to say the N Word though? Like a Jewish man who lived through WWII maybe has a perspective on turning his characters into nazis for a story that we just don't have today? Can you see the difference here?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I disagree completely. People need to shine lights on these cockroaches more often if anything. Remember how SA got a bunch of pedophile poo poo taken off Reddit? Had been there for years but because nobody was talking about it nobody was stopping them. Like that neo nazi site that can't find a domain provider now because people blew their poo poo up and chased them off. Letting this stuff bubble below the surface under the guise of "not feeding the trolls" is how poo poo is so bad these days.

People need to be vocal about this, the higher profile the better. I don't know how superhero fans, of all people, get the idea that the best way to fight evil is to ignore it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tynion is a minority creator, he's bisexual and has been pretty visible with a lot of LGBT+ projects and conventions. So it's not like he's just Mr Famous Comic Writer making sure everyone knows what he believes in, it's pretty personal to him.

And no, you're still wrong, any first grader can tell you that ignoring the bullies has never worked. We're surrounded by garbage and instead of trying to clean it up you want to put a clothespin on your nose and pretend you can't smell it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Zachack posted:

OK but does Tynion have a voice that will actually achieve a meaningful end? Waid's response is closer to what needs to happen: actual ramifications with potentially lasting outcomes. If bleeding cool is doing articles about the guy that aren't massively negative or come with instructions on how to target that person's livelihood/day to day happiness, then creators could blacklist Bleeding Cool.

how famous do you have to be before you are allowed to express your opinions about something that is personally affecting you

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My only surviving grandparent is named Richard and he was in the Navy and he is definitely not a nazi :colbert:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TenCentFang posted:

Cyclops was cool...

For a clown to read about, at the circus, idiot

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I bet at least 75% of it is people wanting to see just how bad it is and make fun of it

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The girls family was just waiting at ICE for some reason

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Frank Miller was always a hard right nut job, he just got way more outspoken after 9/11. It's all there in his 80s stuff. It really makes me second guess how much I love Batman considering how many of his "best" writers are using him for fascist wish fulfillment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Frank Miller went to NYC in like the late 70s when it was still a pretty bad scene and he got mugged, this has imprinted in him the completely sane and reasonable belief that everyone who isn't a straight affluent white man is destroying American society and needs to be put down like a rabid dog

e: beaten, but I prefer my phrasing

• Locked thread