Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

A Strange Aeon posted:

Does DC ever explain why Earth is such an attractive target for intergalactic invaders and stuff? Maybe it's asking too much for a reasonable explanation of why some alien would come specifically to earth to gently caress it up, given no one really wants to read stories with less at stake because they take place on planets and to cultures entirely fictional instead of in, say, New York City.

I thought it had something to do with Earth being the center of the multiverse or something like that.

Also the Extremists (DC) are expies of Marvel villains, and Firestorm is an expy of Spiderman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have a Nexus 10 and I buy new title on comixology. I buy existing title as floppies. I like digital as it takes up far less space and the 10 is a perfect size for reading.
As for saving money, take out trades from your local library. You will save both money and space that way.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This is why the world needs the last 6 issues of Prez to to come out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

A Strange Aeon posted:

Someone mentioned Ravage 2099 in the Doom 2099 chat and it reminded me of this book I picked up called "The Slings and Arrows Comic Guide". Basically, just a team of people who write summaries of different comic books, but it's pretty informative and can be really funny:

Ravage 2099

Marvel: 33 issues, 1992-1995

Paul-Phillip Ravage is head of the eco-police, which everyone seems to know is utterly corrupt. The exception is Ravage himself, who despite having been the force's top agent, has no idea. When he does start to question things, his boss immediately frames him, but he escapes to fight back as an eco-warrior, using rubbish as weapons. The most amusing example of this is his adoption of a hubcap as a shield. This first incarnation of Ravage is written by Stan Lee and is truly awful. The character is a composite of things Lee felt were 'hip' at the time: ecology and a gritty attitude, but the whole thing feels like your granddad trying to rap. When he leaves with 8, you think things must surely get better, with Pat Mills and Tony Skinner taking over the writing. But no, it's still just as bad, only in a different way. Now no longer an outlaw, Ravage becomes a were-beast/businessman. As it turns out, his dad owns a multi-national, something they neglected to mention in earlier issues. By 22, the writers decide that they too are bored with the corporate shenanigans, and Ravage mutates yet further, going on a road trip which culminates in a showdown with arch-nemesis Dethstryk (a Doc Doom knock-off we first meet in 3). Things are quickly wrapped up and by 33, it's thankfully all over. The only highlight is Joe Bennett's pencils which start in 22, but this comic is very much a dog.

You know as a kid you think everything is awesome and you watch a ton of bad movies but don't know they are bad because you are a kid and that bad movie had awesome fight scenes and was kicking rad and you watch that movie 100 times. Then you come across a movie that is bad and you know it is bad and it wakes up your awareness that there are actually bad movies out there in the world and your child-like innocence is gone now because you are now aware that terrible movies exist. Ravage was that terrible movie in comic form for me as a kid. After reading a few issues of Ravage as a kid I was aware that terrible comics existed, and my childhood wonder was gone forever.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

As a kid, one of my favorite movies was Short Circuit 2 (where the robot goes up against stereotypical New York street gangs), little knowing that it was the beginning of being a Michael McKean fan for most of my life. It's probably awful, but I loved it at the time. And to this day, I'll defend Transformers: The Movie to anyone.

But some of the worst movies I ever saw as a kid, where I was repulsed and even embarrassed for watching them, and that my parents had to sit through them with me, and that people actually made them and thought they were good, were the Australian "comedy" Young Einstein, Spaced Invaders (a true piece of crap starring little people in bad Martian costumes), and Hook.

I watched all of those multiple times as a kid. Even Mario Bros I didn't think was bad as a kid. I mean I didn't watch it multiple times and think it was amazing, but I was still in my "terrible movies don't exist" phase so it never crossed my mind that it was bad, and it had an awesome Roxette song so how bad could it be, right ?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember Spiderman 2099 to be the better of the 2099 titles, and X-Men being an okay title.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember X-Men 2099 having a character who turned into a green-glowing skeleton and I thought he looked loving awesome and wanted him to be in all the comics.

Google says the characters name is Skullfire. That is just the best name ever, and now I am even sadder that he wasn't in all the comics.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 9, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ghostlight posted:

He was such an awful character.

OTOH flaming green skeleton!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TenCentFang posted:

There's always Blight from Batman Beyond.

Dang, forgot about him. Also Dr. Phosphorous. Green-glowing skeletons just make awesome looking villains.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well there is Goblin Queen who might as well me Gwen Stacy to add some confusion into whoever the gently caress Madeline Pryor was.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I got married recently and also received a very adult looking watch (ie something that didn't have Batman on it). Guess it is time to stop reading comics, start drinking port, and pretend to know what I am talking about when I discuss the world's current economic model. Perhaps take a water about travelling around the world in a short period of time.
Hmph hmph hmph.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hold on. Are they saying Superman should have let those workers be killed? Do they think Superman regularly let's gunmen kill people because those people who are being shot at are from another country? Do these murderous idiots even know who Superman is?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
These arseholes definitely need to be called out and be told that the only people ruining comics is them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Everyone named Richard is actually the same person and thus a Nazi.

Well one thing is without dispute is that everyone named Richard is a dick.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

A Strange Aeon posted:

Nice overview! I have a feeling I'll really like them, I just asked in the vague hope someone will tell me not to bother so I can save some money!

After that get a hold of Kyle Baker run and rejoice that DC would ever print such a comic, and despair that DC cancelled such a comic. It was truly to good for this world.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Timeless Appeal posted:

Alt-Hero is really mild, mannered reporter Dana--oh poo poo, no, her boss saw the photos of her, gently caress, nevermind.

Hope you she doesn't write for the failing lamestream fake news media.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zoro posted:

These ALL sound awful, but that last one sounds REALLY awful.

How many times do you think the author sat back in his chair and smuggly smirked while thinking how smart he was.

edit: lol at taking the kid to ICE to see where all the bad men go.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
We need to have some heroes in our right wing book, but who? I know! An Australian billionaire who exploits people's fear, a loudmouth coward and a loving traitor. These are truly the best representatives of our movement.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

AlmightyBob posted:

Vox Day is currently getting stampeded on twitter because he's insulting Jack Kirby after everyone pointed out Kirby would kick Vox's nazi rear end

Vox Day is only talking poo poo because he knows Kirby is dead. What I am trying to say is we need to re-animate Kirby so he could go around kicking some Nazi comic-folks arses.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
A belated wish of an easy fast for all Jewish goons. An even more belated happy rosh hashanah. Ben Grimm agrees with all that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
For all the Frank Miller is anti feminist claims out there he somehow managed to write Martha Stewart goes to Washington so it's a bit more nuanced than that. That being said I don't think he has ever written anything pro Islam.
As for his Wonder Woman, that characterization seemed very much in line with every other character in all-star (ie completely over the top insanely out of character) including Batgirl, Batman, Robin and Superman. The only character in that comic that seemed close to the original was Hal Jordan.

• Locked thread