Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

She's currently running around in the modern day rocking leather pants and police boots and for some reason it works.

Something about characters that traditionally ride horses, riding motorcycles just works. I think it's half the reason Wynonna Earp works on TV. Cowgirl on bike is just cool.

The last three runs on Red Sonja have all been good (and unsurprisingly, all written by women). And they've treated the bikini kind of like Conan's furry speedos. She does wear it, but if the setting or story means it'd be completely absurd, she wears other stuff.

Lightning Lord posted:

I agree, it's pretty iconic. Gail Simone said that most of the artists, men or women, who were on cover duty during her run specifically asked to draw the chainkini.

Her origin however... nobody misses that trainwreck. Ironically she works much better as "Conan but a woman", with the same sensibilities, attitudes and goals in life.

Hell, I think the worst thing that happened was setting the whole 'best her in combat to bed her' thing in stone. The early Marvel stuff has Roy Thomas explicitly saying she was probably delirious from bloodloss and hallucinating the vision that said that to her. That's a super obvious out for a writer to just have her gently caress a dude and be like "Oh, I can still murder people really good, guess I was imagining that! :haw:"

But nope, had to wait for Simone to soft reboot the character and just explicitly make her more like Conan. (Which was great, to be fair)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TenCentFang posted:

She's a cowgirl, on a steel horse she rides. And I've not read the comic, but if she's still like a female Conan, then she must certainly be wanted dead or alive.

She's hunting down a biker gang that deals drugs (and maybe in human trafficking also? ) and thus the DEA is after her.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'll nth the recommendation of Savage Sword, though. It's some gorgeous art and while the stories themselves are dated, the writing and layouts aren't.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Like, did Marvel/Lucas ever sue the Bucky O'Hare guys? Because that seems like a pretty blatant rip-off.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That is a legitimately fascinating thing: I didn't know Hama created Bucky O'Hare, for one, and I'd always assumed the property had stemmed out of the TMNT phenomenon, instead of apparently predating both that AND the Star Wars thing. Plus I just looked up the cartoon's intro, and they sure made the villain look a lot like Andross from StarFox, which I'm fairly sure even the cartoon predates, let alone the comic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

There's a lot about Mantis (and philistine editors not understanding his grand vision for the character) but also even more about how IF YOU REALLY THINK ABOUT IT, he deserves credit for the Nolan Batman movies, the Batman Animated Series, all of the Avengers movies, Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, Daredevil, etc. etc. etc. If you REALLY THINK ABOUT IT, would comic books even exist without Steve Englehart? Experts say: No!

Source: Steve Englehart, steveenglehart.com

Honestly Englehart has a really impressive body of work and all, but this is like whatever that old chestnut from sports where you spend so much time trying to convince everyone an 8 is a 10, people think they're a 5. Steve Englehart truly believes he's a 14 out of 10.

So Steve Englehart is the Triple H of comics?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Why didn't the show use Robert, though?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TenCentFang posted:

You can't talk me into it, I've read your entry in the Monster Manual so I know the only way to escape the curse is to trick someone else into taking your place.

Well, you also get to make a WIS save. With advantage if you're multi-classed into hipster.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Fun little opinion question: What change have you seen a creative team make to a property that feels like it should stick or is an all-around improvement, that hasn't really? It can be a retcon that was dropped after the run, a reinterpretation from an Elseworlds/What If or similar or anything really.

Mine is probably the implied fact from Max Landis' American Alien mini that Martha Kent was the Smallville vet. That's one of those touches that just makes so much sense that I'm amazed it's never been done before.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Dick as Batman with Damian as his Robin. RIP

The recent Nightwing arcs have been trying to recapture some of that feel at least.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zoro posted:

It was forum member, Hyperactive, according to the old thread. He had a Doctor Doom avatar. I might make a new Atomic Robo thread. Been planning on picking up the 3-in-1 omnibus for it.

Anyone here play roleplaying games? Because Atomic Robo also has one of the better adaptions to tabletop roleplaying games. I mean, sure, it uses FATE Core, but changes a lot in a solid way.

The Atomic Robo version is actually what I'd recommend to anyone looking to run/learn FATE, honestly. It's basically designed to be pick up and play. I ran one session where I literally had the idea of "Robo has an HR meeting with some misfit employees and then Dr Dinosaur invades the island" and just improv'ed from there, and it was a great time. I had nothing else specifically prepped and it worked out great because the system is basically designed to organically build set-pieces.

(The other side of the coin is the Dresden Files RPG, which also uses FATE, but has such complex rules for spellcasting and magical abilities that I'd be terrified to even make a character for it, let alone run a session. The only system I have that I'm less prepared to run is probably Shadowrun 5e, where I feel like I need an Excel page open for character gen.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Heh, you just reminded me of the older Marvel RPG that they self-published, with the gem-stone resource system instead of dice. I still have my core books for that from when I was like 16, and every time I open the main book, I get to one part of the combat rules and I swear to god they skipped a bit, because there's a super-obvious question regarding how defence works that I always ask, and I ALWAYS end up finding isn't in the book and has never really been answered.

Also, I'm sure there are worse systems than Shadowrun, but my group of players took a ton of cajoling to let me even run Starfinder or Fantasy Flight Star Wars, despite both of those being super easy (other than Starfinder having inherited a fair chunk of Paizo bloat compared to, say, D&D 5e or even Star Wars, considering how FF basically decided that the easiest way to model ship combat was "like person-to-person combat, but with bigger guns", but then Paizo have this whole convoluted thing which basically demands you use a hex mat)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 30, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I still maintain that Elektra Assasin is fascinating for how you can see Sienkiewicz interpreting Miller's foibles that bleed through the writing into the visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think a lot of his post-9/11 stuff is him being afraid FOR New York, positing a tough saviour that does The Hard Things That Need Done to protect it.

• Locked thread