Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
What's an expy? Thought maybe you meant expat but I don't think that makes sense in context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sinteres posted:

They're imitation versions of other characters, like the way Hyperion and Sentry are Marvel's versions of Superman.

Oh, never heard that term before. I hate to be basic but Supreme (Alan Moore version, obviously) is so good. It really captures the madness and joy of the Silver Age.

Does DC have equivalents of the weird cosmic Marvel characters? I know there's the 4th World guys but they don't seem on the same level as Galactus and company.

And somewhat related, are there powerful artifacts in DC like the Infinity Gems or Cosmic Cube? I know individual heroes have stuff like Wonder Woman's lasso and Green Lantern's ring, but those don't really trade hands very often or act as huge macguffins, at least to my knowledge.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Does DC ever explain why Earth is such an attractive target for intergalactic invaders and stuff? Maybe it's asking too much for a reasonable explanation of why some alien would come specifically to earth to gently caress it up, given no one really wants to read stories with less at stake because they take place on planets and to cultures entirely fictional instead of in, say, New York City.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Skwirl posted:

And for people who still don't get the reference, 42+9+1=52.

Huh? Instead of saying 52, they put 42 million etc? Why?

Related to "expys" (is there a more commonly used word for this? Pastiches, maybe?), I notice no one has brought up The Boys, a potential bonanza of them.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I did really like Wolverine and the X-Men, even not knowing much of the X-continuity stuff that was going on.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Was reading about the Question for some reason on wikipedia, and read this:

"In The Question #17, Vic picks up a copy of Watchmen to read on a trip and initially sees Rorschach as being quite cool. But after Vic is beaten up trying to emulate Rorschach's brutal style of justice, he concludes that "Rorschach sucks"."

Seemed relevant to expy discussion!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zoro posted:

Comoxology is having a buy-one, get-one free deal with promo code MARVEL17 on all Marvel books. You can literally buy double the number comic this week and pay half the price. I already took advantage to buy a ludricous amount of books for 1/2 cost. If nothing else, you only have to spend half the amount of money on your monthly Comics this month. This lasts till September 7th.

What made everyone take the plunge to digital comics? Is there a "comics lover" tablet that makes comics super easy to read, without needing to zoom in or scroll around, that doesn't go panel by panel but gives you the entire page, that I've been missing out on? Or are people just reading on their computer? Or is having to scroll around or zoom or go panel to panel just not as distracting to others as it is to me?

I just find it really hard to bite the bullet on digital comics--I could see the usefulness of stuff like Marvel Unlimited, to binge on out of print or expensive reprint stuff, or just to decide on a given series that seems interesting, without making a large commitment either in money or shelf space, but buying individual issues or even trades doesn't seem appealing to me. But it'd be great to take advantage of sales and read interesting stuff instantly, so maybe I'm missing something fundamental about the experience.

I'd be curious how many people are all digital, no digital or both, and how it breaks down by age. I'm in my early 30s, for what it's worth, and I am basically no digital at all.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm debating taking the plunge on digital for Judge Dredd volumes. poo poo takes up a LOT of space.

Tell me about it...

I do have 9, my wife was reading it at the time.

It sounds like it's a cost and space thing, and no one really feels that digital comics are equal to the experience of reading an actual paper product, which is where I'm at.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My wife has an older iPad mini and I bought a Kindle Fire for $50 on Prime Day this year, and the idea of reading comics on either of those seems really miserable. But I suppose if I had a much larger size tablet, it could be worthwhile. Still not sure I'd pay for digital comics other than a streaming service, though. I like my overflowing bookshelves! And lending people comics is fun, too. And I like browsing the used sections at comic book shops and Half-Price Books--the idea of not knowing what I'm going to find adds something to the commercial transaction somehow.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

site posted:

Its stupid cheap, you can can get huge volumes for literal pennies on the dollar if you wait for sales. You don't need need to have space for these issues cuz you can download and redl them at your convenience

Literally any 8"+ tablet can show a full size page, although as a 10" tablet owner i would recommended at least 10" to read full page even with tiny font

Tbh the only reason to read physical comics now is to not keep your fav lcs from collapsing cuz digital is absolutely the future

I don't know, maybe future future, but not the near future, at least in my opinion. Having never really gotten into floppies, because they seem pretty inconvenient to read and I don't have an established Wednesday ritual where I'd get the next piece of the dozen different serials I'm following, at least for trades, I think the physical product doesn't take up much more space than a regular book and doesn't have to be stored differently. Obviously, people into manga who want all 287 volumes of One Piece or whatever probably have a challenge on their hands. I also think giving someone a book as a real gift is nice--not that wrapping is particularly important, but giving someone a digital book doesn't seem to be the same thing to me.

I don't know, thinking it out, having a record collection or dvd collection or book collection is in some way a statement about what your tastes are--if you just stream everything or own it all digitally, how do you surround yourself where you live with the things that give your life richness? Or is that a bygone concept, as our living spaces get smaller and less affordable and having a library of actual things drifts into the realm of only the very wealthy? I can imagine apartments in ~30 years all being identical, because the media that would describe the person who lives there is all stored behind a tablet's black screen.

That drifted off somewhere, sorry--few people gave their ages, which is fine, but I would guess the all digital folks skew younger, which would make sense. It sounds like for me to really see how good it can be, I need a bigger tablet than my Kindle--it's fine for regular ebooks, but I suspect I'd only be able to do guided view for comics. And I don't think there's a Marvel Unlimited app for it...would have to sideload it or something.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In general, how much is a single issue these days? I've seen cover prices from 99 cents to $4.99. It's weird to imagine buying a physical comic, originally printed and priced cheaply enough for children, could be a marker of wealth and privilege.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jordan7hm posted:

The reading list for Marvel from FF1 to 1990 is like 8000 comics, and that excludes a bunch of stuff, like all the war and western stuff Marvel was putting out.

DC would be even more than that given Marvel was only releasing a handful of titles each month for most of the 60s.

Is FF1 what people cite as when "the Marvel Age" of comics begins? I guess it gets sticky with all the other publishers they absorbed, but certain characters still in the current continuity had origins in the pre-Marvel era--the original Human Torch, for instance. (no idea if that character is still in current continuity, but you know what I mean)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's a trade that seems worth picking up.

His drug policy is very progressive.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Someone mentioned Ravage 2099 in the Doom 2099 chat and it reminded me of this book I picked up called "The Slings and Arrows Comic Guide". Basically, just a team of people who write summaries of different comic books, but it's pretty informative and can be really funny:

Ravage 2099

Marvel: 33 issues, 1992-1995

Paul-Phillip Ravage is head of the eco-police, which everyone seems to know is utterly corrupt. The exception is Ravage himself, who despite having been the force's top agent, has no idea. When he does start to question things, his boss immediately frames him, but he escapes to fight back as an eco-warrior, using rubbish as weapons. The most amusing example of this is his adoption of a hubcap as a shield. This first incarnation of Ravage is written by Stan Lee and is truly awful. The character is a composite of things Lee felt were 'hip' at the time: ecology and a gritty attitude, but the whole thing feels like your granddad trying to rap. When he leaves with 8, you think things must surely get better, with Pat Mills and Tony Skinner taking over the writing. But no, it's still just as bad, only in a different way. Now no longer an outlaw, Ravage becomes a were-beast/businessman. As it turns out, his dad owns a multi-national, something they neglected to mention in earlier issues. By 22, the writers decide that they too are bored with the corporate shenanigans, and Ravage mutates yet further, going on a road trip which culminates in a showdown with arch-nemesis Dethstryk (a Doc Doom knock-off we first meet in 3). Things are quickly wrapped up and by 33, it's thankfully all over. The only highlight is Joe Bennett's pencils which start in 22, but this comic is very much a dog.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Punisher 2099 was decent if I remember correctly; it had lots of really extreme stuff that I assume was parody.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I got a bunch of free Marvel digital trades from buying print books on Amazon or something, and I picked up the first volume of Ennis's Punisher.

I just finished the first 4 Vietnam issues and Jesus Christ--is his entire run this good?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Was Ghost Rider 2099 the same demon that caused the normal Ghost Riders? Curious for any connections between that setting and the mainstream Marvel one.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My friend was telling me about the newish Batman series and he mentioned Gotham Girl but I thought he said Goblin Girl and that made me wonder if Green Goblin ever had a female teenage sidekick named Goblin Girl.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lurdiak posted:

The closest to that was Menace, one of the many ill-advised and forgettable villains during Brand New Day. She was in her 20s, though.

Goblin Girl is a great name for a character like that--maybe we'll see her someday.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

beergod posted:

This is probably a real strange question, but I'm going to ask it anyways. I really only collect Omnibus/Absolute editions (I read fast and like to get as much of the whole story in one volume as possible). They're unwieldy and difficult to read. I like to read on my couch or in my bed.

Can anyone recommend a bed table or something similar to keep the book propped up while I'm reading it? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXZSY6P

I can't be the only one who has this problem but google is no help. Any help is appreciated fellow nerds.

That'd be a nice way to read big-rear end comic volumes...I usually read lying down on a bed, since trying to read a 1000 page Omnibus upright at a normal table is pretty difficult.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lightning Lord posted:

2017 is the year both Swamp Thing creators died :smith:

The only Swamp Thing I've read was Alan Moore's--is the original stuff worth reading?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Has there ever been a penciller with a better name than Dick Sprang?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TenCentFang posted:

But does it work as well as the time Conan wore a pimp suit and fought Captain America?

Just have to love that pet...

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
For some reason that Superman thing reminded me of when comics showed up in pop culture, before they actually WERE pop culture. I mean comics always were popular culture, but not like today with all the Marvel movies and TV shows. Like, there was a Rancid song I loved listening to growing up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP_nc8bS76I

"Wolverine was sad and it made him mad / every single cop got a bullet in the head"

A bit off-model, but still interesting as a kid into punk and comics to see a crossover like that.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lightning Lord posted:

People acting like Morrison's writing is an alien language will never stop being funny to me.

I feel like some of his stuff seems like every third page is missing.

I did just finish DC 1000000, though, and really enjoyed it. Really, the random side stories were more entertaining than the big plot.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jordan7hm posted:

No pictures, but some thoughts on my continuing read of the marvel universe from the start. Using CMRO.

Reading through 60s marvel you really can't overemphasize the quality of Spider-Man. Pretty much every one of his books is solid. Whereas Iron-Man and Ant/Giant-Man spend their issues fighting villains of the week and spinning their wheels in relationships with ladies who moon over them, Spider-Man actually experiences real character development. The early stuff with Betty is great, and I'm at the point where Flash has been beaten by Peter and Liz Allen starts taking notice of him, and it's just really cool to see him transition from an angry loser teenager into a confident man. Dr Octopus is an awesome villain. I love that his stories are litmus tests of Peter's abilities and character. When fighting Oct he gets beat down but it's always just to show him getting back up. I'm not even to If This Be My Destiny yet (not even close actually, 100+ issues to go before that).

Speaking of Giant Man, the relationship with him and Janet is kind of weird. She's the daughter of one of his friends (who dies) and there are some weird daddy issues or something. Very paternalistic relationship. She moons over him and he acts like there's nothing there but they go on vacations and walk down the street holding hands. His books are boring and I hate him. He fights a lot of commies.

Iron Man is just fine. Hes had some full length stories but nothing really meaningful. Even Giant Man has recurring villains. They seem to want to do something with Happy and Pepper and maybe some kind of love triangle but there's not really enough there for that. I'm at the point where they have the Watcher in the backup story in Tales of Suspense and the Iron Man stories seem to be getting smaller. Not a big fan.

The Hulk was fantastic in his six issue run. Just a lot more interesting than I expected it to be. He's not stupid, he's just disconnected and angry. It's a more nuanced character than I think of outside of stuff like the Peter David run. I haven't read a ton of Hulk stuff though. I was sorry when his series ended.

Thor started off as being pretty awful but Journey to Mystery 99-104 is maybe my favourite run so far. Thor gets his powers cut in half by Odin, is sent to the future, and it all ends in a great big god throw down in New York. At this point they're also running Tales of Asgard backup stories which are awesome Norse myths (through a marvel lens). I was sour on Thor and this just turned me right around.

Fantastic Four is up there with Spider-Man in quality. The relationships aren't moving forward as fast as they are in Spider-Man, but they are moving forward, and the adventures they have are great and give Kirby a chance to show off his chops. Doom is up there with Doc Oc as the best early marvel villain. Maybe the best just because of how ridiculous he is.

Strange Tales starring Human Torch on the other hand sucks. Johnny is not an interesting enough character to hold up a book at this point and his stories are very much just fights against fairly pedestrian villains. But then they start running Dr Strange backup stories and gently caress yes I am all in on those. Ditko doesn't have the ability to match Kirby's fantastical landscapes but his nightmare worlds are the next best thing and I think he draws a much better "normal looking guy". Strange's stories are these short little fantastical vignettes and I really like them.

X-Men is petty hit and miss in those early days, but better than I thought it would be. They lean a lot heavier on Magneto than I expected them to given how other books rotate so many villains. Magneto is a lot less interesting in the early X-Men days than in his first appearance or future appearancess though. Very generic.

Captain America's return was floated in an issue of Strange Tales (#114), when they had a villain masquerade as him to fight the Torch. Did not know that. His actual return in Avengers #4 was pretty great, but that story had more going on than I expected... like the Avengers being turned to stone by an ancient alien who was also responsible for the Medusa myth.

The Avengers is pretty good. I'm only up to #4, but they've been pretty action packed so far and they're clearly trying to do some cool stuff with team dynamics.

Other random stuff:
Daredevil showed up in his dumb yellow suit. Certainly jammed a lot into that first issue. I hear he is terrible for a very long time. Not looking forward to that.
Matt Fox shows up a couple times in backups. I think these were probably older stories as they don't even have the Watcher / Wasp narrative gimmick and his style is so distinct they probably couldn't fake it with a bullpen artist. I love Matt Fox's inking.
The Wasp / Watcher gimmick used to set up old school horror / SF / monster tales in Tales to Astonish and Tales of Suspense is kind of dumb.
Kirby is really not living up to the legend here. There's some good stuff but there's a lot of bad Kirby art. Ditko is my favourite.

This is all super helpful. I plan on getting Marvel Unlimited at some point to binge on the 60s Marvel stuff, so it's nice having a bit of a road map--I'm not going to have the time or resources to be as completionist as your project is!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I got this discount book catalog in the mail and it has some comics in it. Could the "Just Imagine Stan Lee Creating the DC Universe Omnibus" be worth $25? It's 726 pages, and Kubert, Gibbons, Buscema, and Ordway are mentioned as artists.

I'm having a hard time imagining Stan's takes on Batman and Green Lantern as any good, but maybe it's interesting as a curio? When did they publish this, anyway?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is the very early Wonder Woman stuff strange enough to be interesting? Or is it mostly just checking out the weird and funny panels and skipping getting an omnibus of it?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Still curious about early Wonder Woman, but I also wanted to ask about Conan comics.

There seems to be tons of material on Conan out there--is it generally considered pretty good? I would love an introduction to what's out there--I know he was Marvel for a while, now I think it's Dark Horse? Where would a good place to start be?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Good to know it's hard to go wrong with Conan! I like Howard's stories so I'll maybe pick up a few random Conan trades from the library and see if it's my thing.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Benito Cereno posted:

Golden Age Wonder Woman is beautifully, wonderfully weird. It is so idiosyncratic and so heavily powered by the voices of its creators, Marston and Peter, that it has never successfully captured that voice again, and as such, has never been as good again imo.

While many people focus on the bondage motifs and other fetishy stuff (if there's not a fetish about someone changing clothes in a pool of milk, Moulton definitely makes it seem like there must be), the book is full of delightfully bizarre stuff like giant kangaroos that jump into space, purple healing rays, and a sorority marching band beating the poo poo out of Nazis. It also stars Etta Candy, the best sidekick of the Golden Age, who has not been written correctly since Marston's death (though Morrison and de Liz have come close).

One of my favorite issues is Wonder Woman #5, the first appearance of Doctor Psycho, which almost reads like if Mike Mignola decided to do a book with a feminist theme. It's definitely worth picking up the omnibus.

poo poo, that is exactly what I wanted to hear and what my wallet didn't want to hear!

While I'm here--are the original Marvel Star Wars comics from the 70s worth checking out?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Yeah, I'm on board with that! Looks like a lot of fun.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
On a totally different subject, I just started reading Casanova from the library and like it a lot. I'm even reading the afterword stuff in this deluxe edition, which I wouldn't normally do, but Fraction's little essays of influences and process are actually really interesting. He mentions Grendel, which is a series I never followed, but it actually sounds kind of cool, with it being set in different time periods and stuff.

What's the thread think of Matt Wagner's Grendel?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Scaramouche posted:

I realize this is a day late and a dollar short, but I just re-read them and it kinda sucks that they cancelled Howard the Duck. I realize Zdarsky has moved on to other cool stuff but it was real good.

The first trade of Series B (why did they do it that way, anyway?) especially. The one with the other duck lady and the animal Weapon X project.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Would I regret it if I bought most of the Plastic Man archives? I've heard Jack Cole's work on them is something to see--is it worth it? Like, I own the first three Spirit Archives, but probably won't ever own all 26 of them.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Benito Cereno posted:

As an answer to that, you could read this essay I wrote about Jack Cole for his birthday.

Spoilers: Plastic Man is possibly the best superhero comic of the Golden Age and Jack Cole is a top five GOAT cartoonist

Nice overview! I have a feeling I'll really like them, I just asked in the vague hope someone will tell me not to bother so I can save some money!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm trying to clear up some shelf space. Can anyone tell me if any of this stuff is worth trying to sell on its own, or should I just dump the whole lot at Half-Price Books?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm trying to clear up some shelf space. Can anyone tell me if any of this stuff is worth trying to sell on its own, or should I just dump the whole lot at Half-Price Books?

Seems like Half-Price Books, then?

Also, dude who 3D printed the comic holders with labels, those look really attractive! I don't do floppies, but I'd want a similar solution if I did.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't know what half price books will pay, but kijiji or craigslist are generally pretty good bets to get a bit more cash than selling to a retailer who needs to mark the books up.

I should have gone Craigslist for some of them probably, but since the baby came, the thought of having to track that and arrange payments and meet ups just seems like too much.

I got around $40 for all that stuff, but it also included like 10 PS3 games and they don't itemize it, so it's not clear what sold for what.

So yeah, they don't pay that well. They often have great stuff, though. I ended up picking up:

1. The Book of Human Insects by Osamu Tezuka--is other manga like this? I feel like I opened up some horrible draining money void now, because this was really interesting and weird and when I think of manga, I think of fantasy stuff and all the anime tropes. I guess this work was from the early 70s, but I liked it a lot.
2. Bughouse by Steve Lafler
3. SSHHHH! by Jason
4. first trade of Morrison's Animal Man
5. Tomorrow Stories Book 1 and Book 2 by Alan Moore
6. The Superman / Madman Hullabaloo by Mike Allred
7. Cheap Novelties: the Pleasures of Urban Decay by Ben Katchor (I think this is the last book of his I didn't have)

They also had like a dozen of the IDW G.I. Joe Classic reprint trades, but they were priced ridiculously. The first one was $40.00 because someone wrote OOP on it, I guess, and a bunch of the other ones were also $40. I really want to read Hama's stuff but that's just too pricey--there was a guy on eBay I bought the first 5 from for $50, but he never shipped them so I had to get a refund.

Also also, there were the first three Justice League International trades--the first was $6.99, but the other two were both $25, again, because I guess they're OOP. It looks like there's an Omnibus coming out very soon, though--the series looked pretty lighthearted and fun, and my wife loves Martian Manhunter--does JLI come pretty well recommended? I feel like Booster Gold and Blue Beetle get a lot of love around these parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

JLI is spectacular. It was ahead of its time, and it has aged amazingly well. Don't buy the existing trades because DC discontinued them, but the first Omnibus is due out this week, and it's on Amazon for a very reasonable, bargain preorder price. Get it. Believe the hype. You won't be sorry.

As for your other purchases, I love Ben Katchor's Julius Knipl comics, and Cheap Novelties was my favorite of his collections. Superman/Madman is a lot of fun (Mike Allred is my all-time favorite artist), and Tomorrow Stories is very uneven, but the Greyshirt stories by Alan Moore and Rick Veitch are an incredible Will Eisner homage that play a lot with the form of comic book storytelling in cool, experimental ways.

Glad to hear JLI is so good! Paging through the trades, it looked really fun, so I'm looking forward to picking up the Omnibus.

Ben Katchor is definitely worthy of the MacArthur Genius Grant he received, that's for sure. His stuff is so subtle and smart, I'm sure I don't get everything out of it. But what I do get is such a powerful exploration of what it means for humans to live together in cities, it really makes me want to give a copy to all of my friends, even the ones who don't read comics.

I think I have the rest of Moore's ABC line--even though I haven't reread Promethea since I bought the trades a decade ago, flush with cash from my first real job. I should probably sell it and get some shelf space back, but I'm loathe to give up anything Alan Moore wrote. Top 10 seems to clearly be the best out of that line, though I enjoyed Tom Strong for what it was. I could probably give that another read, it's been a few years and as I recall it's a pretty rollicking story.

• Locked thread