Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Edge & Christian posted:

I've read definitions repeatedly of what expys are and I'm still not clear what they are, the definition is so broad as to include pretty much everything. If I'm understanding things correctly, some of the best expys off the top of my head include:

John Constantine, an expy of Sting
Static, an expy of the teenage superhero archetype typified by Spider-Man
Darth Vader, an expy of Darkseid
Black Racer and the Scarlet Skier, expys of Silver Surfer
Homer Simpson, an expy of Walter Matthau
Superman, an expy of Philip Wylie's Gladiator and also maybe Jesus Christ
Bruce Banner, an expy of Dr Jeckyl
Ben Grimm, an expy of Jack Kirby

An "expy" IMO is specifically a character who is created to be a version of an existing character and it's obvious. John Constantine for example isn't really an "expy" of Sting, he's a character who's visually based on Sting and was a punk musician as a reference to that, but otherwise isn't really like Sting at all. A better example would be the opposite, Willoughby Kipling from Doom Patrol or Jack Carter from Planetary. Hell, Planetary is a good source of expies. They're meant to function as that character and be a reference to them when those characters can't be used for reasons like copyright or editorial nixing it. I think what complicates this is that many expies gain a life of their own. Hyperion started clearly as a cute reference to Superman in a Marvel book and wasn't really intended as more than that, but eventually became far more.

Like, X-O Manowar isn't really an expy of Iron Man because despite both having power armor they're radically different characters. Black Racer isn't an expy of the Silver Surfer because he serves a different purpose in the narrative despite them both being "cosmic guy flying around on sporting equipment"

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Sometimes I think about how ridiculous it is that Marvel and DC earth still operates like ours when they not only have all these superpowered dudes running around but also know there's things like Ego the Living Planet and Darkseid and Galactus out there. It's pretty goofy that neither of those earths have modified their government structures and gotten a seat at some kind of intergalactic united nations. "Oh yeah, intelligent alien civilizations are totally out there, but that's for the Space CIA to worry about, now let me tell you what I think about illegal mexican immigrants"

I think the late 90s Marvel crossover Maximum Security explained that the intergalactic community has explicitly shut Earth out, but that might be handwavy.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

TV Tropes is trash, like a Gene pick.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

KaosMachina posted:

I feel like maybe I chose my wording poorly here. Ah, well. There's also recursive stuff like Mongul, who is a knockoff Thanos, who is a knockoff Darkseid.

I dunno if you chose your wording poorly but I agree with Rhyno that "expy" is a dumb term and with Wheat Loaf that TVTropes tries to shoehorn everything into their tropes.

BTW Thanos was originally planned to be more of a Metron.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 2, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I have a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 and it's superb for reading comics.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

So Rhyno, are the Epic Collections doing better than the Essentials?

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is FF1 what people cite as when "the Marvel Age" of comics begins? I guess it gets sticky with all the other publishers they absorbed, but certain characters still in the current continuity had origins in the pre-Marvel era--the original Human Torch, for instance. (no idea if that character is still in current continuity, but you know what I mean)

Jim Hammond is still around, he was in James Robinson's Invaders last I saw him. I think the original comics that the Timely characters appeared in have technically been retconned and replaced with like, the Roy Thomas Invaders or something. None of Captain America's villains from the Kirby/Simon material have appeared since then, which if true is no big loss, most of them were yellow peril types, from memory.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

2017 is the year both Swamp Thing creators died :smith:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

The only Swamp Thing I've read was Alan Moore's--is the original stuff worth reading?

Yes, the issues that Wein wrote and Bernie Wrightson drew are classic, some of the best comics DC put out in the Bronze Age. That's the first ten of the original Swamp Thing series. 11 to 13 have Wein still writing but Nestor Redondo drawing, he's great but no Wrightson. He stays on but the writers switch between David Michelinie and Gerry Conway until the end, issue 24. There's a couple of collections that have the Wrightson issues, and I think you can get them digitally.

The tone is a bit different, but you'll be able to see the origins of many things that informed and influenced the Moore/Bissette comics. You remember how angry and confused Swamp Thing was at the beginning of the series before he learned the truth about himself and acccepted it? That's how he is here. Abby is more of a damsel in distress, Matt Cable has his poo poo together, Anton Arcane is the shitbag we all know, etc.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 11, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Chainmail bikini is the least of her problems.

I agree, it's pretty iconic. Gail Simone said that most of the artists, men or women, who were on cover duty during her run specifically asked to draw the chainkini.

Her origin however... nobody misses that trainwreck. Ironically she works much better as "Conan but a woman", with the same sensibilities, attitudes and goals in life.

Rhyno posted:

She's currently running around in the modern day rocking leather pants and police boots and for some reason it works.

The last time Red Sonja appeared in modern times (that Spider-Man crossover where Mary Jane was possessed by her ghost) sucked so I'm glad they're nailing the concept so well now. It's a fun book.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 14, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

People acting like Morrison's writing is an alien language will never stop being funny to me.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Maybe it's just because he's one of my favorite writers, but I find his writing to be straightforward and clear.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

Kirby is really not living up to the legend here. There's some good stuff but there's a lot of bad Kirby art. Ditko is my favourite.

As an Orthodox Kirbyist I cannot allow this blasphemy to stand. Please report for disintegration post haste.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

When he writes books that are filled with words, I'm not sure this actually matters. When he writes his own books, it definitely does (though he fills his with words too). It's great that his art could stand on its own (or sometimes tells its own story, which is not the story that the dialog / narration tells), but it doesn't have to, because that wasn't the style of the books.

Kirby has a lot of trouble with character dimensions. Hands the size of heads, faces that change shape from shot to shot, characters who gain or lose 50 lbs between panels, and more. He does really well with grotesque and based on his romance books he can do really well with normal life too, but in the Marvel age whether because he's rushed or whatever he just doesn't keep it together. With Giant Man he has him as big as a bridge in one scene and a bit taller than a normal guy in another. It's bad. I'm guessing this is as much a function of being a rush job as anything else, but I don't buy the idea that his storytelling makes up for that.

Yes, keep going! My case for your apostasy trial just keeps getting stronger!

Joking aside though, I agree that when he didn't have his heart in the work, you can tell.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 18, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

There seems to be tons of material on Conan out there--is it generally considered pretty good? I would love an introduction to what's out there--I know he was Marvel for a while, now I think it's Dark Horse? Where would a good place to start be?

Conan is basically where fantasy proved it could be viable and popular in comics. The Marvel series is good throughout, and never drops below the level of a decent read. The thing ran from 1970 to 1993, you're going to get some ups and downs. The other posters are right, the best stuff is written by Roy Thomas, and drawn by Barry Windsor Smith, John Buscema or Ernie Chan. Dark Horse has collected it into the Chronicles of Conan, a 34 part reprint trade series, you can get it digitally too. They also have the Savage Sword magazine collected, as well as the King Conan spinoff about Conan's later life, and other Howard characters like King Kull (similar to Conan and was created before him in the prose stories, but just a bit more poetic and introspective) which is also a great series because it features art by the likes of Mike Ploog and John and Marie Severin.

There's a minor controversy with the reprints, a lot of people (like myself) didn't like the computer coloring of the early books, but that eventually goes away if you feel the same way.

For the Dark Horse series, the best place to start might be at the beginning. While Dark Horse did make a gigantic fuckoff hardcover of the first 50 issues, now they're putting out cheap softcover omnibuses of the entire character's publication history with them, which are also available digitally.

The thing with Conan too is because he's a licensed character, every version works from the same stories and becomes a mixture of adaptions and original material. There's not really much continuity to worry about. Of course a series that ran for over 20 years is going to have continuity, but it's contained to the book itself and what happens there doesn't concern the Dark Horse series at all.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 18, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

TenCentFang posted:

Also, I've got this theory that Kull, Conan, Bran Mak Morn, and Solomon Kane are reincarnations of the same soul, and they're an(the?) Eternal Champion from the works of Michael Moorcock.

Of course they are, since the concept of the Eternal Champion is Moorcock exploring how fiction protagonists often have similar traits. Mostly fantasy or adventure ones, but Karl Glogauer and Colonel Pyat are incarnations of the Champion too.

Howard suggests that Kull is Conan's ancestor, btw.

Speaking of Moorcock, it's great that Elric appeared in the Marvel Conan books, making him officially a Marvel Universe character IMO. Don't try and tell me that the Hyborian Age is no longer in continuity! It's real to me damnit! I ran an RPG game set on Prince Crystar's planet that took advantage of that fact.

But it also sucks that when looking for a source material for how Elric should look, Windsor-Smith found a weird set of American printings where the cover gave him a goofy hat, so we ended up with this

Rhyno posted:

My reintroduction to Conan was when I got the job at the shop and in the bathroom was a copy of the FCBD issue that served as a prelude to the Busiel run. I must have read that thing 100 times that summer. Kurt is without a doubt the best modern Conan author and few people draw barbarians like Cary Nord. Their run comes with my highest possible recommendation.

Yeah, and Mike Mignola does some stuff in the early Conan issues too. Also, Tim Truman is good.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 18, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

TenCentFang posted:

The best Elric comics, though, are the old Pacific Comics issues. Jeezy wheezy, what I wouldn't do to have a set of them myself.

Titan has a line of reprints now, and they're going to be moving on to Corum soon, which has some rad early Mike Mignola and Jill Thompson art.

IMO the best Elric comics are P. Craig Russell's adaption of Stormbringer. I like the French adaption, but IMO it makes some story changes that I don't approve of. I'm a fan of when adaptions make sensible or interesting changes, but this one gets rid of some scenes that are important to what the novel Elric of Melnibone is about.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

TenCentFang posted:

Well, this is clearly my fault for never having read any Bran or Kull stories, which is kind of weird now that I think about it considering how much I love the gently caress out of Conan and Kane.

There's a really good comic adaption of Worms of the Earth from Savage Sword. I don't think it's reprinted in the Dark Horse books because it's not a Conan story, unfortunately.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

That issue is why Banner's full name is Robert Bruce Banner.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Can anyone sum up the 'Diversity & Comics' drama? Every creator is suddenly after whoever this guy is https://twitter.com/DiversityAndCmx
but I haven't seen any of the instigating incidents.
https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/status/910615855918063616
https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/status/910703927464562688

He's like Sargon or another dopey youtube :airquote:skeptical rational:airquote: but for comics and he's trying to get creators fired for the crime of creating comics he doesn't like. Also trying to get people to give him money so he can make bad comics.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 21, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

What's the thread think of Matt Wagner's Grendel?

GOAT comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

It heads out to get graded on Monday.

Rhyno, have you ever had people try to foist that CBCS crap on you?

• Locked thread