Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

purple death ray posted:

My favorites are every single one of DCs attempts to make a Spider-Man

Let's give Superboy a webgun, a jacket, and goggles! It will be radical!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

KaosMachina posted:

I feel like maybe I chose my wording poorly here. Ah, well. There's also recursive stuff like Mongul, who is a knockoff Thanos, who is a knockoff Darkseid.

That's literally Amalgam Comics Spider-Boy.

Now, I'm just wondering if I subconsciously remembered this or it's just a coincidence.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I'm reading an old issue of Miles Morales Spider-Man and all I can think now is why doesn't one of the richer superheroes open a charter school specifically made to help the teen superheroes balance their school and superhero life?

They get leeway on assignment if they were busy fighting crime, they can leave mid class to do superhero stuff, excetera. It'd be easy to hide as a school for gifted people and there are enough super intelligent superheroes to basically be the teacher on their off time while still maintaining good enough standings for the degree from there to matter.

Also, it can be a pretty bitchin comic. I mean, the X-Men are pretty loving successful.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

The school would just get attacked every 3 issues.

Works for X-men.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah only most of them died so far.

Nah, they all got individual series: they won't die as quickly or as easily as X-men because then *poof* no more of that series.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Samuringa posted:

I didn't read it but isn't that basically Avengers Academy?

Never heard of it. Looking into it, it seems like it was using new Heroes, but sounds pretty similar to what I was talking about.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Comoxology is having a buy-one, get-one free deal with promo code MARVEL17 on all Marvel books. You can literally buy double the number comic this week and pay half the price. I already took advantage to buy a ludricous amount of books for 1/2 cost. If nothing else, you only have to spend half the amount of money on your monthly Comics this month. This lasts till September 7th.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

A Strange Aeon posted:

What made everyone take the plunge to digital comics?

I only have so much of my house I can cede to the comics before they legally own it.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Also, you can use your webbrower. My computer got a TV screen so it works fine for me, especially with Guided View.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

A Strange Aeon posted:

That drifted off somewhere, sorry--few people gave their ages,

I'm 23.

Anyway, is Goku an expy of Superman? They both come from an alien homeworld that blew up, both are some of the last of their race, both are bulletproof and have super strength and the such, and etc. Now, personality-wise, they're night and day. Superman is this moral boyscout who stands up for what's right and has a genius level intellect whereas Goku is literally illiterate and, while he doesn't like seeing people get hurt, is so addicted to battle that he will let a bad guy get away or get stronger just for the thrill.

I'm just trying to gauge here how broad the definition of "Expy" is.

Also, if you think "Goku and Superman's backstory are only superficially alike", that's only true for the animated explanation. The comic depiction is a lot more one-for one:

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

Goku is more or less explicitly "What if Superman was in Journey To the West?", at least originally.

I don't know about that. I mean, Son Wukong had superpowers in the original myth. The superman comparisons didn't come in for over 5 or so years into the comics run when the scifi things were introduced. Even then, that origin story didn't drop until the 25th anniversary. So I don't know if I'd say it started out that way. More like, when he started to get scifi, more and more superman elements waddled in somehow.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Some real talk New York City education politics: I can't imagine that going well.

Remember that charters are actually publicly funded despite receiving a lot of money from donors and not necessarily complying with state regulations. This is why it's important for most charters to have lottery systems in order to seem fair and not just be handpicking the best and brightest. So right off the back, there would be a lot of push-back to what would essentially be a publicly funded Xavier Academy. But you would have to probably pitch it as Mutant/Superhuman friendly then strictly tailored for them. That's hard to sell while still presenting the fact that you have open enrollment. Also, dealing with a board of directors would be a huge hassle. Forget an Xavier style Danger Room because suddenly you have to deal with having an Anti-Mutant rich rear end in a top hat who is on your board of trustees trying to sway your decision making because of how he thinks muties are supposed to be. Not to mention you'll end up in the State Test Score rat race that most charters end up in which really seems like a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. If your tests scores are low, better believe you're going to get pressure to make sure nobody is fighting any Magnetos or poo poo between the months of February and April. But you got to figure if your test scores are too high then that Anti-Mutant trustee who is still baffingly on your board is going to say, "Well, it was probably because ya got one of those Jean Greys or what have you in your school." And for better or for worse ant-charter folks are going to question your data.

But this is all assuming that you have found your own site for your school which while possible (there are a few charters that do a good job at this), is pretty hard. Co-locating like most charters do would be a bitch to deal with for tons of reasons. I mean how are you going to justify to the parents of the school downstairs that the Wrecking Crew is loitering outside during pick-up like half of the time? But that isn't the worst of it. Say you do get a Danger Room style training facility. Guess what? New York City law--not sure about state--requires equitable facilities between co-locating schools. So the non-superpowered kids downstairs also need to have a Danger Room.

Working at a charter school has made working at Xavier's seem like a cake walk.

I mean, I didn't realize charter schools were like that, but, also, it's comics book. If you can make the audience believe a man can fly, I'm sure you can make an audience believe the Avengers can have a secret school for their teen heroes.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I was reading some comics and I think I noticed a problem with some of the new Heroes that Marvel has put out: they haven't really invested enough in giving them unique villains. A hero is only as good as their villain, after all.

For example, unless I'm mistaken, I was reading Riri Williams as ironheart and she has yet to get an original villain. All her villains are hand-me-downs. As a result, there isn't that same kind of direct connection to her villians that other Heroes have and it really takes away lot of heat from the comic.

They really should consider giving the hero's more villains that have a personal connection to them to get that kind of hype that people need in their comics.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Skwirl posted:

Actually it's worth nothing at all, because you have no way to resell it. But people who are buying floppies because they think they're going to buy the next Amazing Fantasy #15 are going to lose a lot of money on a lot of junk.

No modern Comics are going to be collectible in that sense. They are mass-produced and too many people are taking care of them. If those factors are present, then a comic's value will never go up, only down.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

RandallODim posted:

I'm gonna try to make a hot buck on my first-run Captain Marvel #1 when the movie comes out.

And by that I mean I'm literally going to try to make even a dollar.

Is Captain Marvel worth reading? With the 1/2 off sale, I was considering picking her up.

On the subject of books I picked up because they were cheap, Ironheart is okay, but a little boring: she needs a nemesis and she needs some more supporting characters. The character itself -- this kind of self-righteous but insecure genius is a nice contrast to Tony: she has the moral strength of character and the ability to think on her feet, but she's more insecure due to her age. She feels a bit relatable, actually -- is good enough, but she feels underdeveloped. She really needs a villain and she needs someone other than the A.I. of Tony Stark. The A.I. of Tony Stark plays off her well-enough, but it isn't a hit out of the park. I think they really shot themselves in the foot killing off Natalie before the series even began because she seems to play off her well in flashbacks and would probably be better if she was in the present.

All in all, she may not survive in the role for long due to the cut throat nature of comics, but I think she has potential but she needs more stuff supporting her story and giving it purpose and direction.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

She's based on Gwen Stacy, no matter how much back-peddling Marvel has done on it. She debuted on a Gwen Stacy cover month variant.

She's similar to but legally distinct from Gwen Stacy. :)

That's the defense I would make it court, at least.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I was looking for something on the Internet relating to Bendis and I stumbled across the reality that there seems to be many right wing blogs devoted to shiting on Marvel and sucking off DC.

I'm not trying to poo poo on DC or inflate Marvel, but there was a lot of these blogs that were just doing that. They tried to hide it through fancy terms, but it's pretty obvious that the entire Point these blogs was to poo poo on Marvel for having non-white, non-het characters. Like, they constantly complained about how they get called racist, but their main argument against most comics was that they promote civil rights. I mean, they used a different term for it, but that's what that term means.

They seem to just loving applaud that secret Empire has damaged Marvel sales but claimed it has more to do with diversity and non-whites, non-het characters.

At the same time, they seem to just love DC and applaud DC over and over. However, this might be short-lived because DC's doing a roll out of new Heroes they're calling the new age of Heroes and they seem very mad about it.

Those Heroes mostly feature minority characters so yeah. Further proof their claims of why they love DC's so much doesn't have so much to do with their quality since they seem mad and saying this might be the end of DC and another new 52 when they suddenly want to do minority characters.

It goes even further. They encourage their fans to attack writers on Twitter and make YouTube videos about how those writers are terrible people. They just seem to want to make the lives of comic artists and creators terrible until they relent and destroy characters because they don't like the fact that non-white people and not-het people are now allowed to be superheroes.

Frankly, this is hosed up.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not saying that DC is bad and that Marvel's great. But, it seems these guys really want create this narrative that Marvel is failing due to diversity and that DC's amazing because it did not doing that.

Looking back on it, I think I now know where that weirdo I once talked to in a gameshop got all those talking points now. Because he loved those talking points, but, when I pointed out that they made no sense when you consider how Comics have always worked, he had no idea and had no idea how to follow up.

Like, he really did not know that Heroes stepping down so someone else can take the title is something that's been happening since the twenties and predates Superman. But, he sure love to get mad about the new characters and claimed they were a new phenomenon with no prior basis and were terrible and bad.

Edit Edit: also, I'm not saying all the new characters are great and that we should all like them or else. But, it certainly seems that this group has a particular agenda about them and really wants to act as if making new characters is some kind of new phenomenon and affront to the older characters.

I mean, gently caress, I was reading old comics recently and, in the last page, they advertise like a thousand superheroes who didn't take off like Spider-Girl (not mc-2). It amazes me that people seem to be bringing politics into it when throwing a bunch of characters at the wall and seeing what sticks is what Comics have always done.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 6, 2017

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

These people are short-sighted idiots who probably don't really read comics that much and are only invested in the industry as yet another front in their culture war. But it's pretty easy to paint an imbecilic narrative of DC being the "anti-sjw" side if you only cherry-pick things. Frank Miller's Batman here, the often extremely white JLA there, Johns sidelining a ton of minority characters to bring back boring white dudes, Superman being a literal white ubermensch who explicitly stands for The American Way (western values)... If you ignore like, 98% off the actual content of DC and Marvel's comics, you can totally say that DC is for mature rational adults who believe in western values and Marvel is an SJW cuck-fest who panders to tumblr teens with (((diversity))). Then you fit that idiotic take and Marvel's currently-bad sales and fit them into the moronic narrative that since the republicans won an election with the lowest turnout in modern history, progressiveness is over forever and the tide will never ever turn again.

It's all very circular and has almost nothing to do with reality on any level.

This sums it uo really well and is baffling. Though, I bet they took DC Rebirth as an endorsement since I thinknone guy went "make comics fun again." Which, if true, ugh, but not shocking since I recall a lot of shitheads in media companies getting vocal after Nov 2016 about how much they hate liberals only to get shutdown when it was revealed that was majority of their auidence were progressives.

Ironically, I actually recently got into comics again as an escape from assholes pulling this stuff. Poorly advised move, I suppose.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

TenCentFang posted:

I've been on a semi-media blackout for awhile now and it's done wonders for my stress. Trump? The plague of internet assholes who make MRAs look like saints? Haha I'm just shutting all that poo poo out.

The downside is that I'm waaaay in the dark about a lot of stuff I actually like, especially after ComicsAlliance shut down.

I'm involved in too many protest groups and activist groups to do a blackout. Especially with the DACA stuff since one is a hispanic American rights group. But, the point of getting into comics again was a way to de-stress and escape that for a few hours.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

TenCentFang posted:

May I suggest video games? There's definitely nothing troublesome about that crowd.

Ha, nice try. Though, it easier to just play games and not talk about them. For some reasons, I want to talk about comic books, but can just play final fantasy 15 and never talk to anyone about it.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Roth posted:

I thought it was hilarious when I saw people complaining about Ollie calling himself an SJW in the Rebirth issue of Green Arrow.

It was like immediate confirmation of the fact that none of these people read comics outside of random scans posted to /co/.

I don't read Green Arrow. I looked into him calling himself a social justice warror and all it confirms is just how dumb the alt-right's naming convention sounds when spoken in any real capacity. It is just a dumb term. It would be better to be more accurate and call yourself a civil rights activist, as that is what you would be. But, I guess DC Rebirth wanted to take the term back.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

X-O posted:

You should remedy that. It's probably one of the most consistently good books DC is publishing right now.

Also if there's any person in the entire fictional world of comic books that actually is a social justice warrior it's Green Arrow. That term is perfect for him.

Hm, well, I guess I can give it a read. Safe to assume the first issue after Rebirth is a good jumping off point? I generally read Marvel more since I have Marvel Unlimited which just makes things so loving easy. It's not even anything against DC: Superman and Spider-man are tied for my favorite heroes. It's just an issue of accessibility and affordability and Marvel is winning on that front.

Edit: I know Marvel's physical books are more expensive, but I don't buy physical anymore.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 7, 2017

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

My local shop when I was a kid got a ton of 2099 promo posters right when the line launched. I had that thing on my wall for 10+ years, it survived a cross country move! I was so hyped for those books and I never got to read anything other than Spider-man until years later.

Here's the poster!

Jesus. They just slapped him right on there. Makes him look like he's a giant walking through the buildings.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

That is the perfect line to read in gruff, 90s edgy voice.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Skwirl posted:

Are there any of those? Gwenpool doesn't count because Deadpool has never really been a Spider-Man villain.

That's apparently gonna change soon since they plan for Deadpool to do a heel turn and it's going to turn their team-up series to Deadpool vs Spider-man, unless that was a rumor.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

TenCentFang posted:

Slott's Silver Surfer was straight-up Doctor Who fanfiction. It was embarrassing.

I don't see a problem with this.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

purple death ray posted:

I can't believe they haven't moved on to Steven Universe like the rest of the Adventure Time fandom

Then, when SU is over, you move to OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes. And on and on until the fall of all nations!

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Semi-political and maybe not worth throwing here, but, apparently, some media outlets with a right-wing bent are lambasting Superman for stopping a factory shooting.

https://twitter.com/CraigRozniecki/status/908719064012525568

Maybe this happens a lot, but first time I've heard of tv news stations lambasting comic books for having superheroes, well, be superheroes.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Madkal posted:

Hold on. Are they saying Superman should have let those workers be killed? Do they think Superman regularly let's gunmen kill people because those people who are being shot at are from another country? Do these murderous idiots even know who Superman is?

Considering one of the outfits criticizing was Briebart, then, yes, they would want Superman to let the gunmen kill those people because "they were illegal" and "to secure a future for our race." Fox News wants Superman to do the same thing, but would try to hide their intentions better...and fail at it.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Ferrule posted:

The thing about Kirby's art that often gets lost (i.e., not spoken about), and this is in no way a damnation of Stan or any other script-writter, is that, you take some Kirby pages, white out all the words. All of 'em. You can still read the story.

You know, a lot of the best comic artists are often praised for this.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Anyone reading Mecha Cadet Yu?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
D&C was that YouTube guy that I was talking about earlier that really pissed me off. The guy who was calling poo poo propaganda and saying offensive poo poo and just generally attacking people and authors. Like, he and a group of people tell their followers to attack writers on Twitter and then applaud them for getting blocked to encourage more people to do it. It's pretty lovely.

He claims to be ex-military, to have a Muslim daughter, and some other poo poo to say that he's not X. X being whatever needs to be defended in that moment such as when he says poo poo about Muslims or should about transgendered individuals or poo poo like that.

In short, it's gamergate but for comics. Except the Fig Leaf this time isn't ethics in journalism, but diversity killing comics. That's a big fig leaf for being racist, sexist, excetera.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah they're engaging in direct harassment of female comic creators and apparently have been making a big push to get someone booted off IDW's GI Joe book. It's not just assholes waving dick on twitter.

Yeah, that whole ignore the bully thing doesn't work. The bully will just keep getting more and more aggressive until you're forced to respond. And then they'll keep doing it anyway and would have kept doing it even if you didn't do anything. The reality is these people want to end anyone who isn't a straight white man from working in comics or having comics about them. They will not stop hassling creators until they quit or die and even then they'll keep going after them. Gamer Gates still regularly attacks Zoe Quinn and it has been years.

Ignoring them will do nothing and they have actually taking that as a sign that people are on their side. Explicitly saying you're not on their side is a good thing.

There is a very real problem with Internet discourse that we have no solution for and that is that the most hateful people have all the power and the people in charge of the media will do nothing about it.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

X-O posted:

I know. There's no simple solution to that kind of online negativity and there never will be. Some people are pieces of poo poo and will always be. At a point you just have to make peace with it and realize the best thing you can do is try not to expose more people to it. I'd imagine that person probably got more Twitter followers after being responded to by the people he's going after. He doesn't give a poo poo about Tynion telling him to gently caress off but I'm betting he's happy that his visibility increased and that's all he wants.

Apathy masquerading as righteousness is the worst thing. Not only doesn't make the problem worse by doing nothing and letting it Fester, but it makes it seem to the bystander that that's the right way to do things. Imagine if we did the same thing with medical conditions. Just ignore them they'll go away on their own.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

purple death ray posted:

We're surrounded by garbage and instead of trying to clean it up you want to put a clothespin on your nose and pretend you can't smell it.

Centrism.txt

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Aphrodite posted:

https://twitter.com/jonnywaistcoat/status/825521837828403200

I don't know who this is* but someone linked it in Discord earlier and it seems appropriate.

Remember what Cap says**: Always Punch a Nazi

*: So if he's a milkshake duck don't blame me.
**: Maybe not that one...

Brevoort actually did share Waid's post.

That looks like Richard Spencer, the leader of the alt-right (*cough* neo-nazi *cough*).

He got punched during the Inauguration of Trump when he began harassing a black women. A man in a face mask punched him and it became a meme.

Then, he got punched by a female protester when he began to harass a women at later march.

Then, he got beaten and arrested by the police at Charollettesville when he yelled and threatened cops for not attacking the counter-protesters.

There may have been more incidents.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
For those curious on the Mark Waid thing, it sounds like Mark and D&C talked "like gentlemen and everything is calmed down now."

So, if you were expecting something to come from this, nope.

Source: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/09/21/mark-waid-diversity-comics-baltimore/

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

site posted:

I am shocked

shocked

that waid would give him a pass so quickly

I know you're being sarcastic, but I'm really not surprised at all that, once they started talking, they weren't able to keep steam. People who aren't being personally targeted for harrashment tend to, when they try to confront the harrasher, see that "he's really a fun guy when you get to know him :barf:" since they have no skin in the game.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
It's worth noting that the guy who said they calmed down was Diversity & Comics so take that with a grain of salt. Mark Waid hasn't said anything.

But, D&C also said they agreed to do things like not call out Mark Waid anymore to ease tensions. Which REALLY says thing about what this was really about. This wasn't "Straight CIS White Guy defends minority co-workers", this was "Straight CIS White Guy looks out for himself, drat everyone else."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Teenage Fansub posted:

Found this gem making the shipping thread.
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JUL171603
Red foil printed on leather cover...

That is one SERIOUS case of Female Comic Pose.

Also, am I creepy for noticing that the seem on those pants make a gross optical illusion over the back of her crotch, if you get what I'm implying. Like, I only bring it up because I'm pretty sure it's intentional and pretty gross.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 22, 2017

• Locked thread