Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Does anybody know where I can find the amendments Dr. Doom made to the constitution when he was President in Doom 2099?

I think it was only in the graphic novel, not the individual issues, so it's hard to find online.

Do you mean this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's a trade that seems worth picking up.

His drug policy is very progressive.

I don't know about a trade, but those pages are from this: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=90541

It can currently be yours for $2.40 plus shipping.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

Doom 2099 was one of the first Warren Ellis projects (followed quickly by the Authority, and Mek, and then half of the other things he's written) where I realized that his sort of edgy rebellious "the world is full of bastards, everyone's a bastard, there are no good guys only hard bastards willing to outbastard the worst bastards to achieve a level of bastardness just a tiny bit less bastardy than the real bad bastards, and maybe they're the heroes our bastard world bastarding needs, you bastards" dovetails really easily into believing autocratic fascism is pretty awesome so long as it's a cool dude doing it. I'm pretty sure Doom 2099 isn't actually supposed to be the bad guy, and I am 110% convinced that the Authority are the heroes of Ellis's run, no matter how much puppet-master defense he's done since the book came out and started getting critical readings.

In the actual Doom 2009 comic, Doom's coup was violent and his rule was harsh, but Ellis kept showing him materially improving the lives of citizens, and the (((globalist))) corporations he wrested America free from were run by literal alien vampires. When he finally got overthrown, it wasn't by Spider-Man or the X-Men or any sort of heroes, but by a genocidal (possibly alien) financier named Herod who slaughtered millions to depose Doom and put a barely lucid, drug addicted, animal-torturing, jerking-off-into-the-American-flag clone of Captain America in as a puppet president as part of his plan to stripmine the planet, work all humans to death, and then fly off into the stars.

When those are the alternatives to Doom ruling with an iron fist, how is he supposed to be seen as the bad guy?

Well here's what Warren had to say about the story in the same book.

EDIT: Goddammit I mean to add this to the last post, not double post.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Hey do we hate Robert Kirkman?

Today's Walking Dead issue (171) has a limited order variant and that variant ALSO has a variant (pink artist sig and 7 pages from 172) which is exploding in value on ebay. It's the dumbest thing.

I wouldn’t say I’m a huge fan of him, I like some things he’s written, but I don’t really care about this particular thing at all. If people are dumb enough to pay more than cover price for a brand new comic regardless of the fact it’s got some special cover that’s on them not Kirkman. I feel in 2017 if you’re still buying comics on a speculation basis and playing that game you deserve whatever tricks are being played on you.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zoro posted:

I don't read Green Arrow. I looked into him calling himself a social justice warror and all it confirms is just how dumb the alt-right's naming convention sounds when spoken in any real capacity. It is just a dumb term. It would be better to be more accurate and call yourself a civil rights activist, as that is what you would be. But, I guess DC Rebirth wanted to take the term back.

You should remedy that. It's probably one of the most consistently good books DC is publishing right now.

Also if there's any person in the entire fictional world of comic books that actually is a social justice warrior it's Green Arrow. That term is perfect for him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

The latest arc is kinda lame, but otherwise yeah, it's pretty good.

Could not disagree more. Especially today's issue, and I pretty much hate Hal Jordan as a rule. But put him on the page with Ollie and I like him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I feel like if each subforum had images in the background, this one would be a contender for BSS.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I read the first volume of his Silver Surfer on MU after hearing pretty much nothing but good things about it. It's not my preferred version of Silver Surfer as it's kind of a wacky love story, but it's a really good wacky love story. I plan on reading the rest at some point down the road. I've also never seen Dr. Who but I can't imagine how this book isn't better than that because that looks like complete trash.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Is there a way to check if a cell phone is stolen before I buy it? Some girl is selling a Nexus 5X (the same phone I Drowned) for $110 on Craigslist and I'd like to not buy a stolen phone.

If you can get the IMEI, and as long as it had been reported stolen.

https://stolenphonechecker.org/spc/consumer

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think the creators hitting back are making a mistake. I understand wanting to defend yourself and call out morons like this but at the same time all you're doing is raising their profile. Just ignore these small time idiots and it's better for everyone. I'd never heard of this shitheel before this very moment and though I agree with what Tynion is saying here I never would have heard this garbage without him responding to it. I'm sure there are others who also hadn't heard of it and at least some of those people are so stupid they believe all that poo poo and now you've just made more followers for these people. Again it feels good to tell someone like that to gently caress off but does that offset possibly exposing this brand of stupidity to more people that might embrace it? I don't really think so.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know. There's no simple solution to that kind of online negativity and there never will be. Some people are pieces of poo poo and will always be. At a point you just have to make peace with it and realize the best thing you can do is try not to expose more people to it. I'd imagine that person probably got more Twitter followers after being responded to by the people he's going after. He doesn't give a poo poo about Tynion telling him to gently caress off but I'm betting he's happy that his visibility increased and that's all he wants.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not saying someone can't argue back with these people. People like you and I can and should. It's just when I see a creator retweet some rear end in a top hat like this who's the literal definition of a nobody the only person that ever gets any benefit out of it, other than the personal satisfaction of telling an rear end in a top hat off, is the rear end in a top hat because more people are getting exposed to their bullshit.

Again there's no ideal solution to this at all. The internet is a trash fire and will be one long after we're all dead because there's a lot of garbage people.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

[quote="“TenCentFang”" post="“476616171”"]
People have to be conditioned to realize that poo poo is bad and, importantly, that there are consequences ie Nazi punching. The fact that most of them are pussy bitches terrified of real, equal conflict aid in this.
[/quote]

Yeah but the thing is there are almost realistically no real consequences for people like this. Maybe he shows up at a con and gets yelled at by Mark Waid? I'm sure this person would love that. I think we've all learned over the past few months that there are no real life consequences for like 99.9 % of these people and sadly there probably ever won't be if we're being truthful.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

[quote="“TenCentFang”" post="“476616468”"]
People could start punching them.
[/quote]

It's hard to punch anonymous assholes through Twitter and I've never seen a person like that in everyday life thank God. I'm very much a pacifist so I'm happy to have never been tempted.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I said EVERYONE

Pretty sure there's a recent Nightwing comic that backs this theory up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This thread is not for dredging up old forums bullshit like Helldump or stuff that goes on in other forums and the like so let's leave that at the door.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No, Quantum and Woody is the Goat comic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zoro posted:

Yeah, about that...

Yes, that is literally the article Greekonomics is talking about.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Is that the GI Joe font?

Probably. There's been a real backlash against the guy writing GI Joe for a bit, but he pissed off the right people so I'm sure whatever the genesis of it was it's probably a good thing that he said/did.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zoro posted:

Long story short, he was trying to tell people to stop politicizing 9/11 to further a right-wing, anti-Muslim agenda through the same kind of B.S. the right uses to claim that Kapernick kneeling is against the military and not, you know, protesting police violence. But, 140 character twitter limits.

So yeah, pretty much. I've not read any of his GI Joe books but he sounds like the kind of person that should be writing GI Joe if you can't have Larry Hama do it all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

It certainly seems like they googled "GI Joe font" and used the first thing that popped up, yes.

This is a work of art.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chuck Dixon definitely went crazy, but he wrote a lot of good comics before he did. I don't feel bad for enjoying the good stuff he put out 20 years ago but I won't buy anything he puts out now, mostly because like a lot of older generation writers he's just not any good anymore. The fact that he went nuts (or just publicly so) just kind of reinforces that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Someone make an October thread!

• Locked thread